Michael's House in Palm Springs, CA

Rock Climbing
Equine Therapy
Educational Groups

ABOUT MICHAEL’S HOUSE

For three decades, Michael’s House has offered adults a continuum of treatment for addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders. The Palm Springs rehab is one of the just 27.1 percent (355) of 1,311 treatment facilities in California to offer specialized programming for LGBT individuals, and the 15 percent (197) providing residential detox services. Nationally, fewer than half (48 and 46 percent respectively) of rehabs tailor distinct treatment for women and men.

This facility is affiliated with the Foundations Recovery Network (FRN), which operates rehab facilities across the country, including outpatient programming in San Francisco and at the organization’s headquarters city of Nashville, along with residential treatment at Black Bear Lodge in northern Georgia

Clients begin treatment at Michael’s House in Palm Springs with a full physical exam, psychiatric assessment, and mental health evaluation. Following any necessary detox at the Stabilization Center, individuals move to either the Men’s or Women’s Center, where a typical stay is 45 days but can be extended for up to 90. About one-third (33.6 percent) of California treatment facilities offer residential care for more than 30 days.

The strengths-based FRN rehab model involves motivational interviewing, the Stages of Change Model, dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), and 12-step facilitation. Residents can expect to participate in at least 20 hours of therapy per week, including two individual therapy sessions.

Treatment plans are individualized to meet client needs and may draw from an array of educational, activity, process, and specialized therapy groups. Areas of focus include trauma, healthy sleep support, relapse prevention planning, nutrition, mindfulness, expressive arts, codependency, and adventure experiences.

Michael’s House also offers treatment through an Outpatient Center, as well as specialized DUI programming, which is available at only 8.9 percent of California facilities. A three-day family program is held on weekends.

Michael’s House is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), a designation held by 29 percent of facilities nationwide. The treatment team includes consulting physicians, master’s- and doctorate-level therapists, a 24-hour nursing staff, and certified alcohol and drug counselors (CADC). To date, the 11 individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter praised the aptitude of staff.

Staff Experience and Training: 4.3/5

Psychotherapy is combined with programmed outdoor activities at Michael's House, such as hiking, equine therapy, rock climbing, zip-lining, and various off-site excursions. The Palm Springs campus features a swimming pool, and residents also have access to a nearby off-site gym. Website photographs depict a modern, open design with an array of comfortable indoor and outdoor seating.

The three residential facilities can accommodate a total of 120 clients in shared bedrooms, and residents can expect to participate in household chores. To date, the 11 individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter appreciated the upkeep of facilities.

Cleanliness: 4.1/5

Of 29 alumni who provided feedback to Rehabs.com for Michael’s House, 69 percent would recommend the facility to others. The 16 polled more extensively tended to emphasize the unique programming, although a couple noted the need for more one-on-one counseling.

Holistic Offerings: 4.4/5
Exercise and Leisure: 4.4/5
Counseling Options: 3.5/5

While those polled explicitly tended to express strong appreciation for the staff, indicated by Joey who felt his “recovery was their main goal”, a few reviews concerning staff were more mixed. “I had a good counselor; others not so much,” alum Steven wrote. Feedback was also mixed on dual diagnosis treatment, and some former clients reported issues with medication management. Some reviewers also encountered problems with insurance coverage and unexpected out-of-pocket expenses upon treatment completion.

Michael’s House received overwhelmingly favorable feedback for accommodations. A majority of alumni who otherwise were dissatisfied with their experience praised the environment and food. In a representative review, Kristina wrote that facility was “as comfortable as you could be in treatment.”

Three Google reviews for the long-term treatment centers echoed similar themes.[1] One “thought there wasn’t enough therapy,” but that activities and accommodations were excellent. Alum W.W. wrote that “the environment is amazing” and the staff was supportive.

Elsewhere on Google, 24 individuals contributed to an average rating of 3.2 out of five stars for the Michael’s House Stabilization Center.[2] Repeated comments included the sentiment that the facility was life-saving, as well as concerns about financing, understaffing, and medication management. Similarly 60 percent of 37 Yelp reviews by alumni and family for the detox facility were positive.[3]

Five loved ones polled to date by Rehabs.com provided mixed feedback for Michael’s House, tending to agree with alumni concerning some aspects of the facility. Two noted a need for further follow-up by the facility after rehab. Overall, the loved ones reported being moderately likely to recommend the facility and were satisfied with the amount of family participation.

Family Participation: 4/5
Would Recommend: 3.8/5

Although two loved ones cited limited opportunities for family involvement as a weakness in Yelp reviews, most followed trends. Two parents particularly highlighted long-term positive outcomes from their child’s experience at Michael’s House.

On Indeed, 80 percent of 19 staff reviews for the facility were primarily favorable.[4] They referenced good training, knowledgeable staff, and enjoyment in patients’ success, while also noting a high workload.

Michael’s House accepts insurance, including plans by about a dozen providers listed on the facility's website. To date, the 11 individuals polled on the matter by Rehabs.com had mixed opinions concerning the facility's cost.

Affordability: 3.3/5

[3] https://www.yelp.com/biz/michaels-house-stabilization-center-palm-springs
[4] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Michael's-House/reviews?fcountry=US&floc=Palm+Springs%2C+CA

Published on July 2019

Catherine

I thoroughly enjoyed and learned a lot about myself at this facility. However, I felt as if the staff were very pushy when it came to making sure we went to every single class, meal, activity, etc when there were activities every hour on the hour. I would have appreciated some willingness to talk to me and engage about the reason or reasons as to why I wasn't going to groups. I guess, I felt smothered and no room to breathe. Michaels House was absolutly gorgeous with palm trees, flowers, rain falls attached to a pool, as well as a hottub. We had 3 meals that were made by a personal 5 star chef. We always ate as much as we pleased and that was awesome for me! I was very impressed with all the weekly activities they let us go on. I got to go to horse therapy up in the foggy mountains above Palm Springs. I was apart of many NA and AA meetings off site, gym was in between a group on site that started an hour before lunch time. I went hiking at Joshua meadows. Made a couple really nice friends, the staff were there for me, and overall I had a decent time there. I think the only weakness this specific facility had was they lacked the awareness to identify behavior that was or is worrisome from its patients. Everyday I wrote in a journal and I wrote every single day that I was relapsing the second I got out. I was playing along most the time. Also, I was okay when they transferred me from the detox house, to the womens facility, in fact I was comfortable enough to not worry about the stuff people would usually laugh at me about.

Joey

I left MHMC about 3 weeks ago and I can tell you going there was the best thing i have ever done for myself. Yes there are difficulties as with any place but as soon as you realise there is no \'Magic recovery pill\' and get to work rather then fight the system it pays off. Life can be like a sweatbox inside the centre, my advice to anyone looking at this facility is not to get caught up in any drama, you can quickly get swept up in this and it takes away from why you are really there, to get better. YOU have to put in the work here, no one else. I loved my time at MH and it taught me to be a happier, healthier, better human!

M

WOW! BEWARE!!! Where to start? I\'m taking a long bus ride home after 2 of the most miserable weeks of my life at Michaels house. Although my insurance paid approximately $1,274/ day, if you leave \"against clinical advice\", MH will not assist patients in returning home, even if they paid for the flight there. After becoming increasingly depressed, dealing with incompetent staff, and realizing that this place is a money racket ill-equipped to work with addiction (& most certainly co-occurring /dual diagnosis ) I prayed on & weighed my options on whether I should tolerate another 15 days of my life, or take a leap of faith (& some SERIOUS) balls!) See, I already didn\'t have much money, and after incurring unexpected costs at the airport (expect to pay for baggage) cigarettes if you\'re a smoker, (& bring extra for the nearly 29 women who will bum them. After paying to turn my phone back on, I had an entire $69. MY POINT YOU ASK? I walked out those doors on a hope & a prayer with only $69 (I LIVE 2,240 MILES AWAY) because as God himself as my witness, I decided to risk life or limb, ride or die, to either get home or die trying rather than spend one more minute of my precious life in that miserable 115 degree, full sun, fly infested place surrounded by mostly 20-something\'s making their 1st half attempt at getting clean, and sadly they would\'ve had a better opportunity elsewhere. I\'m not going to vent excessively, tell you things that aren\'t true or exaggerate, nor am I\'m resentful. The foods good, it\'s the desert so there are flies, plenty of flies. READ EVERYTHING! (& then ask questions: qualifications of the staff, positions, etc. THESE ARE RECOVERING ADDICTS WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF YOUR CARE, MEDICATIONS, AND DETOXIFICATION. The outdoor adventures only become available to patients only once moving to the women\'s house following an approximate 7-10 day stay at the UNISEX detox, reading literally a couple hundred pages of literature from MH book, completely numerous assignments on aftercare plans, relapse prevention, sharing your 10 most personal & painful consequences of your using/drinking (referred to as \"your 10 C\'s) with a group of 5-6 patients and your therapist. After completing these readings, papers, \"10 C\'s\", all while attending mandatory group sessions from 6:30 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. , yes, last group starts at 8:00 p.m. and from group the medication line forms and patients are sent individually into the very, VERY slow nurses station as group continues until the community room eventually dwindles down & the patient responsible for cleaning the community room can finally complete her chore before retiring after an already 15 hour day. After \"leveling up from a level 1 to a level 2 patient\" the OUTDOOR ADVENTURES are available to only 12 patients, of these 12 slots, many will be filled by patients with seniority whom are \"level 2\", church is no exception. JOSHUA TREE is overrated, I\'m telling as someone who hasn\'t gone,but judging by the 115 degree, full sun, heat radiating off the rock mountains which are much like Arizona, and after learning that each time MH takes a group hiking there, someone has to leave, I have no desire to walk through the desert, God knows how far, (& I heard its far) in 115 scorching heat to see a tree. The Equestrian therapy? I was told the patients only got to brush the horses. The gym? You need to be a level 2 as well & it\'s not onsite so, again, only 12 patients & only a few days a week. The pictures are of various locations including the outpatient treatment center so be certain you know which pictures are of the location you plan to attend; frankly I only recognize about 3 accurate photos. THE POOL? Okay, get ready, in detox patients may utilize the pool at quarter after each hour for 15 minutes (if groups are not in session) (and said hours of 6-9 p.m. when groups aren\'t in session) HOWEVER, dinner is at 5:00 & there\'s usually a group at 7:00, there\'s also \"wrap up\" group at 8:00 which is a short 20-ish minutes of \"how was your day? Did you have/meet a goal?\" around a circle of your drooling / detoxing peers, followed by a \"sleep group\" at 9:00 so, basically? They have a pool you will rarely use which is unfortunate because it may actually offer some therapeutic benefits in the otherwise unrelenting & counterproductive environment. Plan on changing your own bed at the women\'s center where you\'ll spend most of your time because while they have A housekeeper there, she\'s overworked, underpaid, and doing everything that the patients aren\'t. The patients chores include stocking the liquid drinks in the kitchen, the food, the paper towel & napkin dispensers, cups, paper products, watering the plants, cleaning the tables & counters, basically everything that needs to be done is handled by the patients. And yes, not anything out of hand, but it is the desert and there are a few cochroaches. The linen is hospital grade, in fact I believe it\'s exactly the same. The ACCOMMODATIONS are NOT THE ROOMS I saw in the photos I was sent by the call center \"who is by the way making a commission on each patient whose life he or she causes the month-long ,temporary & painful inconvenience of an ill-equipped center with these unpleasant surprises if you will. There IS ONE COMPETENT & CARING, REAL STAFF MEMBER AND ONE. (1) THANKS, YOU! Their is a very serious lack of communication amongst staff, and quite honestly, I never knew who was responsible for ANYTHING BECAUSE EVERY STAFF MEMBER passes the buck and in turn, nothing, and I mean NOTHING gets done. If you\'re taking a leave of abscense from work, do NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO HANDLE ANYTHING. They will attempt to have you agree to what \"everyone signs\", I suggest you READ WHAT YOU\'RE SIGNING because that form is giving them permission to share your information with your selected \"EMERGENCY CONTACT\" I strongly suggest considering other options before trying to get clean & sober here. The environment is NOT WHAT YOU SEE IN THE ONLINE REPRESENTATION. Oh, the beds are not 2 to a room with the exception of two rooms with two beds in each room, the others are (4) to a women. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery and hope this helps some of you to avoid the suffering I endured. Thanks for reading.

Mary

Palm Springs ... Swimming pool and good food Cost . Ended up paying $5000 out of pocket when we were told max out of pocket would be $1000. They called in the middle of my sons treatment wanting more money . No billing statements available to view charges for accuracy .... Even after requesting them Be prepared for them and to ask you for more money during the middle of treatment

civitas

They definetly milked me for my money really badly and all i wanted was to get my ssi and get a hole in the wall apartment or at least a board and care. The staff were different. Some were really cool some were parrots. My insurance didn\'t cover my meds even though the staff insisted that it would. My stepmom said that the facility would provide aftercare. Michael\'s house didn\'t. They wouldve if i had the dough. The ssg alliance program i am now is way more helpful: i get money loaned for shelter, covered medical care and unfortunately, bad food. Michael\'s house food was way better. But what the hay... im not in the courtyard prison. Id rather go walking in the street than sitting 24/7 in a nice courtyard with a pool and hot tub. Also, way too many cigarettes. Thats just not rehab. Still, my biggest complaint is that this organization did not help me get my ssi income so i wouldn\'t be homeless. Yoga was the best part of this program.

Overall it my stay was as pleasant as it could have been and I am grateful for having had the experience. The staff was great but there was no internet access.

RMS

This was my son & they worked with us to get him detoxed in our home town then he went to CA. The Intake Personnel on the phone are phenominal

TB

Didn't like their approach. Not much experience with my addiction. Thought I would be able to stay on some medications that I was on when entering rehab and they made me go off of them.

Great experience - Changed my life - finally put me on a positive path to the life I want.

I relpased after 3 months and then I went to a local facility

Steven

1on1 Counselor/Counseling (I had a good counselor; others not so good) Residential Counselors tend to have jail-house mentality in running the place. You feel "stuck" when you're there. RC's always take the side of the kitchen & housekeeping staff who, in turn, look down upon and provoke patients. They try to milk more money out of you. The Aftercare Coordinators don't hold true to their word. There are some RC's that are great. My counselor was awesome. The head of the clinical team as a God complex.

Counsellors are in recovery so they relate. More 1 on 1 time is needed. Expensive!!! The psychiatrist assigned was a pill pusher. Needed more personal time.

Staff was a strength of the facility, but there was a lack of mental health meetings. If you need help ck out the facility.

It's an in-patient center and is affordable. Needs to follow-up with clients in order to make sure they don't relapse. My dad came back healthy and his mind was clear and his memory was so much better, but he's relapsed and I think they should do follow-up appointments or calls

rg

Aweful experience!!! They put me on meds that did not react like I know that medicine did which caused serious side effects. STAY AWAY!!!! The staff was terrible and I was surrounded by liars and punks. I have great resolve in stopping my habit yet I was treated like a liar. All they want is to charge your ins company. I had the worst experience and it\'s taken me 2 mos to come to terms with what happened there. Pls , if you read this go somewhere else. Take care of yourself. I know you didn\'t end up in rehab by sliding off a rainbow but you are somebody with a problem and if you want help there are people who will help you. Lastly, i am aware that they\'ll take this post down as soon as they see it. Big surprise...

CT

Prior to my stay at Michael\'s House, I was misdiagnosed and given the wrong medication that pushed me into extreme depression and mania. The facility staff concentrate 80% on drug/alcohol addictions. I did not have an addiction to these. The 3 weeks prior to my stay I drank more than my normal very few drinks per year. They never believed this although my family attempted to explain over and over this was true. No one would listen. They said it was nothing like jail. Ha! No phone call to my family for an entire week. Then if you were a good girl and your therapist thought it was ok, I was allowed to make a phone call for 10 minutes 1-2 times per week. You have to play their game to get out of there without being shunned for your entire visit. The head nurse was unprofessional, telling me I was a manipulator simply because I wanted to call my husband to see how my depression and mania had affected our relationship. The staff refused me that opportunity. She said they were concerned that I was not admitting I had a problem. From then on, I had to play their game of, oh yes, I am an alcoholic and addict. I asked to the nurse, \"does drinking more than usual for 3 weeks make someone an alcoholic?\" She basically said people do not have to drink for years to make them an alcoholic. And that I was going through denial.\" I understand a lot of people come into the facility denying they have a problem. Many members of the staff, especially the ones taking us on our outings, were too busy twisting their hair, their caked on makeup, making sure their clothes were tight. Not professional. We weren\'t all 20 year olds that came to the facility. My family was so concerned about my depression and mania that they basically did an intervention and sent me there. 30 days of the greatest hell I have ever experienced. No privileges unless you were a good girl and sucked up to the staff and say exactly what they wanted you to. At least the PA finally diagnosed me correctly... Bipolar. They put me on phenobarbital when I got there. For someone with no addiction that drug makes you a sleepy zombie. I could not function. Told the PA I couldn\'t take this. PA said ok would discontinue it., but there was a major lapse in communication about this. The pics on the internet show plush surroundings. DO NOT BE FOOLED. Money money money. I would never in my life recommend this place to anyone. If you ever are unfortunate enough to go there, please play their game or you will be labeled a troublemaker and you will be busted down to the 1st level which means no privileges. I could add another book to my saga. But you have the idea......

Lenny

They don't give adderal out in Michaels house that's b.s.

FG

Very dynamic approach and multiple types of therapy. Not strictly a 12-Step program, although they do usually offer one meeting a day. They have lots of DBT, 2 regular therapy sessions a week, adventure therapy, equine therapy, music and arts etc. Very well rounded program. My best part was that I found the RCs (residential counselors) to be amazing and beyond caring. Chef on site with awesome food as they try to cater to everyone. Facilities are beautiful. Would definitely recommend. But like every program, it works if you work it :)

Joey

It was great that all the staff were former addicts. However, it was very expensive. Overall, a caring rehab. I really liked the staff and felt that my recovery was their main goal.

RJT

Amazing and caring staff. More room at the men's center would be good and it's my understanding that expansion was getting underway when I was completing my treatment. I have recommended Michaels House to friends already. I believe in their evidence based program.

Kristina

Inviting and as comfortable as you could be in treatment; it was friendly,caring and available. Genuine staff and doctors. Not many downfalls, food was gross sometimes but overall very good. It saved my life, bottom line.

MR

Joke of a rehab. Nice place to go for a vacation. I've been there twice and both times relapsed the day I got out. This is a place only interested in getting your insurance money I'm now in a much better program in California.

KBrancheau

I went to Michael's House in March of 2015. The facilities and the staff went above and beyond!

NGT

They did a good job.

Cmd

Total dump. Lockdown with 19 year-old junkies.

BB

(My child) did not benefit from the care they received...they have not received any aftercare...(the facility) prescribed adderral to a person with an addiction poblem

TB

Didn't like their approach. Not much experience with my addiction....Thought I would be able to stay on some medications that I was on when entering rehab and they made me go off of them.

JJK

This was amazing the level of counseling and therapy provided helped me get in touch my true self.

LW

It's all about choice...deciding what you want, then making the choices to get there...and Michaels House is the best decision I ever made!

JW

This place is so wonderful, esp. for Dual Diagnosis.- It was the best experience of my life!!

E.G.

Exceptional facilties, the lead phsychiatrist led one group five days a week-very informative and helpfull