Midwest Institute for Addiction in Creve Coeur, MO

Call (314) 569-2253 to Contact Midwest Institute for Addiction

711 Old Ballas Road, Suite 203
Creve Coeur MO 63141

Midwest Institute for Addiction Philosophy

Midwest Institute for Addiction (MIA) is an evidence-based substance abuse and dependence treatment facility located in St. Louis, Missouri. MIA provides outpatient detoxification in place of a more traditional inpatient approach to allow for maximum flexibility and comfort for those experiencing withdrawal symptoms that are clinically and medically appropriate for that level. MIA's programs provide integrative care by delivering medical, behavioral, and mental health services aimed at improving the quality of life for patients and families. MIA continually improves its program through self-assessment and ongoing compliance to accreditation standards while also adapting to increase access by improving the logistical ease and financial feasibility of its services and programs. Clients and families have unlimited access to continuing services that are in-network with most insurance plans.

• Out Patient
    Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

Flexible scheduling to fit your schedule

Private model that is In-Network with most insurance plans

Outpatient medical detox

Philip F. Gogel, MD, MBA

Medical Director

Dr. Philip Gogel acts as Medical Physician at the Midwest Institute for Addiction. As such, he is responsible for all medical issues that arise during the course of substance abuse treatment at the Institute. Dr. Gogel earned a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering from the University of Missouri-Columbia, a Master of Business Administration from Washington University in St. Louis, and a Doctor of Medicine from Saint Louis University School of Medicine. His post-graduate training was in General Surgery at Saint Louis University Hospitals and in Family Medicine at St. John’s Mercy Medical Center in St. Louis.

Molly Bergamini, MSW, LCSW

Executive Director

ABOUT THE MIDWEST INSTITUTE FOR ADDICTION - ST. LOUIS

One of two outpatient facilities operated by the Midwest Institute for Addiction (MIA), this facility in St. Louis offers various outpatient programs for individuals with substance abuse and/or co-occurring mental health disorders.

Where necessary, MIA provides medication-assisted therapy (MAT) on an outpatient basis to help alleviate cravings and minimize withdrawal symptoms.

MIA offers a highly individualized treatment approach, which blends medication-assisted therapy, such as Suboxone and Vivitrol, with evidence-based treatment modalities, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). To determine each client’s individual needs, MIA first provides an initial substance abuse assessment. Though programs are not based on the 12-Steps, MIA does encourage client’s participation in self-help groups while in treatment.

MAT plays a large role in MIA’s treatment approach. Where necessary, clients are prescribed an appropriate dosage of their evidence-backed medication, which may be monitored and adjusted throughout treatment. Clients also attend individual, group, and family therapy sessions, utilizing CBT to identify the relationship between irrational thinking patterns and addictive behavior. Other program components include psychiatric evaluations and ongoing medication management - for individuals struggling with co-occurring mental health disorders - and workshops on health and wellness, nutrition, meditation, and mindfulness.

There are several non-residential programs available at NIA, each varying in intensity and hours per week. The partial hospitalization program (PHP), for example, meets for a minimum of 18 treatment hours each week, while the intensive outpatient program (IOP) meets for half this time, generally between the hours of 9 a.m. and 8 p.m., Monday through Friday, and on Saturday until 2 p.m. There’s also a traditional outpatient treatment track that ranges from eight hours of treatment per week to a few monthly visits.

MIA does not provide a timeline for any of its programs, and clients can progress through treatment at their own pace. As clients near program completion, staff guide them towards independent life through discharge planning and case management services.

The Midwest Institute for Addiction employs a multidisciplinary team of physicians experienced in addiction medicine, board-certified psychiatrists, substance abuse counselors, family therapists, licensed clinical social workers, medical assistants, and dietitians.

Nine of the 13 alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com as of this writing shared positive recovery experiences, many commending the center for its evidence-based and individualized treatment programs and respectful, passionate, and professional staff. “They saved my life and made it worth living again,” wrote M.P., one such reviewer. “I have never felt so grateful.”

“I was treated like I was important,” wrote Bob, awarding the program five stars for treatment effectiveness, the staff’s level of training and experience, and the family participation, amongst other categories. “My counselor took ownership in my recovery and helped me get where I am now...Despite my attitude, times of wanting to walk away from it all, they remained calm and compassionate and talked me off the ledge... had they not I'm not sure I would be married still or even around for that matter.”

Still, others complained of high turnover rates, that the facility was in business for the money, and that staff were inexperienced and unprofessional. “My advice is to seek treatment elsewhere,” alum M commented in their one-star review.

Four of the five individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date shared excellent feedback on their loved one’s recovery experiences. Aside from one, each reviewer awarded the facility five out of five stars for its treatment effectiveness.

Loved ones also described the staff as supportive and helpful professionals who cared about assisting clients towards recovery. “From the day we walked in for a consult to the ongoing care we have been consistently treated by top notch professionals,” wrote reviewer M.M. in one such review. “It is obvious that this facility puts it patients (and their families) before anything else.”

Of those polled on the matter, two family members gave the facility high marks for its counseling options, holistic opportunities, family programming, and administrative policies. One considered treatment expensive.

The Midwest Institute for Addiction accepts many commercial insurances, including plans by Anthem, Cigna, ValueOptions, and UnitedHealthcare.

Published on February 2018

PJ

MIA is by far one of the best facilities I have ever been to. I have never been anywhere that has such excellent and caring staff, an amazing doctor and therapists that are so easy to talk to even if their aren't your therapist they always have a smile on their face and come from a great perspective. MIA has changed my life for the better and I will forever and always recommend people to this place. Not only do they help you get clean but they help you stay clean and are by your side 100% of the way through it also. Thanks to MIA, my life has been bettered and I can't thank them enough for helping me become the person I am meant to be

CD

Working and having supported a person with an addiction I can see first hand how the programs work at MIA. As an outpatient facility they treat each person as an individual, and unique. I believe that the counselors are top rated, caring people who have a genuine concern for the people that are supported. People come here and get better, they may relapse, but the staff is here to support that also. A very nonjudgmental place to work.

mlc

This is an awesome place! Empathetic, caring, and dedicated to the betterment of each of their patients.

R. M.

MIA does everything possible to help a patient successfully complete treatment. The staff has amazing levels of empathy and understanding, as well as extensive knowledge as counselors and behavioral health providers. There is some turnover of providers, so there may be a need to switch counselors and/or doctors mid-treatment.

Tm

The best rehab and drug detox facility ever, by far. Their program is amazing b7t not to overpower the unbelievable and caring staff. I highly recomend this top notch facility to anyone who needs substance abuse help. T

James

MIA worked with someone very close to me. Her recovery has been seamless and very effect. She and everyone sees a great future ahead for her with MIA's help.

Nick

What a phenomenal organization! They are true leaders in fighting this epidemic with love & compassion. Highly recommended!

T.m.

First class facility with an amazing staff. Would recomend mia to anyone

DW

Seems to be purely for money. On my first appointment, rather than being notified that the doctor was in the Virgin Islands, I was sat in front of a laptop and then told it would be an e-consultation. So then we talked for 10 min, I paid $450 and left with directions to take 5 medications. It worked to help me stop drinking, but after the next 4 followups were the same e-consultation I lost hope in the doctor. After 6 weeks I saw him for 10 minutes in person. This was just as helpful as his e-consultations. I paid over $1000 to talk to a computer screen, which is only my fault (when I complained about paying $150 for each 10 min visit, I was told I didn't pay every time. I have the bank statements, I paid for every appointment with the "Dr".) Lastly, he "developed" a régime of pills to take within 3 minutes of me stating my problems. It seemed like a cookie cutter approach at the time and I still believe it was. 0/10 would I recommend this office. I called 2 times to cancel an appointment, and was called back a third time to conform the appointment and also to let me know I owed about $100 for services not provided. Additionally, I called 6 or 7 times to try to learn about results from a blood test. Each time they took my number and offered me a call the next day. I received no call until they told me the results had been lost about a week after I started calling (which was 2 weeks after the test date). The aide seems to hold the operation together, while the doctor is not interested in helping patients and seems financially driven.

This is not a review of MIA, rather it was intended for a physician's practice within the same building.

Dp

I would not advise anybody to go to Midwest I went four times and I'm still getting bills even with my insurance the doctor was amazing but the counselor was terrible but it's more about the bills I am still receiving

We are one of MANY treatment programs in the cities we service. This review is by someone who has entered the program four times, yet it is extremely rare for someone to even come back into our program past a second attempt unless clinically and medically appropriate because we must consider the needs of the clients, a historical account of their care, and the appropriateness of readmitting versus referrals to alternative programs. In the instance, a client did enter treatment four times they would have primary clinical and medical staff alterations to provide a fresh perspective and style intended to better serve our clients. If this reviewer did enter our program four times, why? We are in-network for all of the major insurance plans in the areas we serve, any bills patients receive have more to do with the healthcare plan they chose than our sending account statements.

MP

Thank God I found this place! They not only helped my get and stay sober, they also helped me reconnect with my family and repair the relationships that were destroyed by my addiction. The staff is awesome, compassionate, supportive, and professional—they helped me every step of the way. I've never been to another treatment center before this one, but I've heard enough stories and have compared notes with enough people who have to learn I made the right move by coming to Midwest Institute for Addiction! They saved my life and made it worth living again. I have never felt so grateful.

Hope

If you made the decision to face your problems with addiction and/or alcohol, the next step you should take is to go to Midwest Institute for Addiction. I can't say enough about M.I.A.! They support you every step of the way while you rebuild your life and learn how to live an awesome sober life like a rockstar. Unlike most rehabs, M.I.A. isn't just another 12 step recovery program you have to pay for. Every stage of treatment is overseen by licensed professionals—even the groups are lead by therapists. They have a more evidence-based and holistic approach to recovery and everyone’s treatment is specific to their needs...there is no cookie cutter approach to recovery at this place which is SO refreshing! I owe them more than I can ever pay back. The added bonus is—they take insurance! Regarding Nutrition—they also have a registered dietician that does wellness groups to help you avoid replacing your drug/alcohol addiction with a raging sugar/food addiction like I have in the past.

Jessica

I came to MIA after my third DUI in January. I have continued treatment here since that time. The staff here has been so incredibly supportive and caring. Kendra, the secretary is always encouraging every time I see her. You know she truly cares about the clients. The providers discuss things in a way that I understand which is important to me because I have learned so much about myself and alcoholism. I have recommended this facility to several close friends and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone that is questioning if they have an alcohol or drug addiction problem or who are seeking treatment. My life is changing in ways I felt may not be possible again. They truly care about changing lives and assist you in living a healthy life of sobriety. I have gone through some really difficult times and never thought talking to someone would be as beneficial as it has been. One of the ways MIA is set apart from and is different than other places, is the holistic approach to treatment. I see a physician, a therapist, and have group discussions several times a week. I have never been to a place that provided all the aspects of care that I need in one place which is why I know MIA is the best.

bob

strength:I was treated like I was important. My counselor took ownership in my recovery and helped me get where I am now. The medical staff were nice and helpful but most of what I did involved a team of therapists that worked with me and my wife. It saved my life and my marriage. I am grateful. weakness:n/a They were innetwork with our insurance and still worked with us on a payment plan for our deductible and copays which made the difference of me getting into treatment or not. They care and I can't think of any way to say thank you other than going aroudn adn telling people. na me and my wife enjoyed how we were treated by staff both the treatment itself and the general interactions that we had regularly. More than anything, I saw with my own eyes the hurt and anger of people like me going in there, and cannot imagine the task of treating these people and making them happy :) I was one of those. Despite my attitude, times of wanting to walk away from it all, they remained calm and compassionate and talked me off the ledge... had they not I'm not sure I would be married still or even around for that matter.

ODAT

This is hands down, thE best treatment center in St. Louis! The staff treats you like a person, not a "patient". They are respectful, passionate and it is obvious they genuinely care about their clients. I love that they don't have some cookie cutter program—everything is personalized and they are awesome at explaining the science behind addiction and recovery. They even offer genetic analysis to help determine which medication your body will respond to best. This report could have saved me from years of switching medications around trying to treat depression and anxiety. I had no clue this simple blood test existed until I came here. Fingers crossed, I will never have to go through the process of getting sober again—but I find comfort in knowing MIA exists!

MB

The staff were professional. The program was fitted to my current needs (i just came out of another program and most places just wanted to throw me into a program...just because) and they worked around my work and family schedule even on weekends. I read some of the other reviews and I don't think enough people that do well and truly appreciate what these people do voice their experience. I for one am forever greatful to Mia and the people there who showed me and my family that they cared about me getting better.

KH

I attended MIA for a couple months for alcohol.I stopped after a few months because it was not helping. Counselor was not professional, group meetings did not apply to me as they were mostly drug addicts, the urine testing was not a deterrent, so a waste of money, even the physician told me \"I wasn\'t that bad\" instead of encouraging me to stop drinking. I would not recommend this organization for help with alcohol addiction.

Research shows that time in treatment is directly proportionate to the benefits achieved. We recommend a minimum of six months for this reason (not that this is binding as clients can leave at any time without financial consequences, unlike other programs). In fact, our own data and research alludes to the progressions made in treatment overtime. We identify quality of life measures that are self-reported by clients through series of questions; these include alcohol use, drug use, physical health, psychiatric health, family and social health, employment, and legal issues. Our research found that the severity of these issues in our clients improves by 67.7% across all client data over a period of 6 months. Within the first 3 months the alcohol use, drug use, and physical health significantly improve to this level. Family and social health, psychiatric health, legal, and employment improvements are significant at this level over a period of 6 months. An individual only in the program for 30 days (to be more precise) cannot expect to benefit to the full extent of treatment. Our client diagnoses breakdown to be 45% opiate, 40% alcohol, and 15% other (these are primary diagnoses and many have multiple diagnoses (poly-substance abuse); our groups typically reflect these percentages. Urine drug screens, like blood panels, x-rays, MRIs, and other diagnostic tools are not designed as deterrents to any disorder. Our diagnostic tools are utilized to enable our medical doctors, psychiatrists, and therapists to provide safe and effective treatment through medications, psychiatric modalities, and behavioral modalities.

M

This facility hires many inexperienced counselors and suffers from an extremely high turnover rate of its staff. You can expect frequent cancellations of meetings and events on very short notice, and many groups require that you sign up for attendance up to a week in advance. Sessions would often end early and abruptly without explanation, and some of the counselors were quite unprofessional at times. My advice is to seek treatment elsewhere.

We only employ Masters and Doctorate level clinicians (counselors) that are licensed by the State in which they practice and have experience in substance abuse disorders and mental health issues; this is a much higher standard than the majority of facilities in the Midwest. The majority of our counselors have been with the facility for over 3 years, some of which have been employed since we opened. Some of our meetings do require a sign-up sheet; we do this so that groups do not exceed more than 10 clients. The limited group size enables a more intimate and clinically sound session as opposed to large group settings. What is not stated is that our groups include over 24 hours of available times throughout the week, times that include mornings, afternoons, evenings, and weekends. We provide groups, therapy, and physician visits until 8 pm during the week to accommodate our client’s schedules and deliver quality care that is least restrictive to their lives. We encourage our clients to bring their concerns to staff immediately to be addressed. If clients do not share these concerns it is impossible for our team to address them. MIA is well regarded in the community and across the profession and is one of three referral sources for St. Louis University’s and Washington University-St. Louis’s endocrinology departments; this is not from low-quality care or inadequate customer service.

Very comfortable place to be. Very beneficial place.

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your time and words.

The staff always having a positive attatude this is a great place my son had a drug problem and they helped him kick the habit i am so glad he decided to go there

We are glad your son is doing well and wish you and your family the best in your future. Do not forget about our free alumni services should you wish to utilize them.

The counselors were good. Cost alot of money

Thank you for your review. We are in-network with the majority of providers in the areas of our facilities but do realize that costs can be higher for uninsured individuals or those who have plans with high deductibles and/or co-pays. We have financial programs to finance internally to make treatment more affordable, increase access to care, and ensure treatment is less financially intrusive to families.

mike

I would strongly discourage anyone from using this treatment center. Horrible 5-1/2 weeks. They counseled our 20 year old son, addicted to drugs and alcohol, to move out (of our his parents home) and to be financially responsible for himself. They encouraged him to be on his own and if he wanted to move back into the same the environment where he was previously housed, where drugs and alcohol are a daily event, that is his decision. After paying $3,000 for eight weeks - they discharged my son after 5-1/2 weeks and offered no credit. They also told us told us that they cannot help us any more and that we cannot schedule or participate in any add\'l family or group therapy. If you are looking for a facility to further damage your family unit and leave your bank account substantially lighter, this is the right place. If you are looking for real help with addiction for a 20 year old family member, stay away from Midwest Institute for Addiction.

We at MIA are very understanding of your situation and the difficulties that you face. We apologize if you feel that your experience was not what you expected and want to clarify your concerns. These issues were never brought to our attention or we would have diligently worked to resolve them. One of the biggest challenges for families comes when their loved one is in the pre-contemplation stage of change. This leaves the families working seemingly harder than the loved one they want well. Family treatment is a significant portion of our programs because, as the primary advocates and support system for the patient, it is important to find the difficult space between enabling negative behavior and supporting positive change. It can be difficult and frustrating when the loved one is not as engaged in recovery as the family. Part of our responsibility to our patients is to advocate for their wellbeing and recovery; at times this takes facilitating levels of care that are more appropriate to the patient and beyond our scope of practice. We would never deny services unless we found it would be a detriment to this aim and would only do so in conjunction with the information, services, and resources required to aid in a successful transition; a service we offer at no charge to anyone that walks through our door. This cannot be accomplished if the patient and family refuse our recommendations and efforts. It is understandable to be upset after spending valuable resources and not experiencing the desired outcomes. No outcomes can be guaranteed in this area of medicine but it is not from the lack of our staffs’ or organization’s efforts or empathy. We are in-network with the majority of major insurance policies and for those we are out-of-network with; we do not balance bill and accept their rates. We accept insurance assignment while maintaining the quality rich treatment of expensive and self-pay facilities. Furthermore, if insurance denies services that our staff and the patient deem clinically necessary, they are continually provided at no cost to the patient. For those without insurance we have a sliding scale rate system and a concierge monthly rate to protect patients and their families financially while providing the level of care they require. Our concierge rate for self-pay is $1500.00 per month which means patients are billed per-service up to this rate; a rate which includes unlimited access to our medical doctor, psychiatrist, individual therapists, family therapists, dietitian, fitness experts, and other providers. A person paying $3000.00 for eight weeks of services likely received services valued in excess of this amount (typically a patient who meets this protective rate receives $1850.00-$3000.00 worth of services each month, totaling $3700.00 to $6000.00). In the case that charges exceeded the $3000.00, there would be no balance owed to the client or from the client, as the amount exceeding services would be written off. In the event that a balance is owed it would be refunded to the patient. We are often faced with difficult situations where doing what is in the best interest of the patient and family is in opposition to what they want or expect; creating the ethical dilemma of maintaining customer satisfaction and making clinical decisions that are in the best interest of everyone. MIA diligently works to improve our programs and maintain a patient-centered organization. We have the highest regard for your family and make decisions that reflect this.

mm

Great staff and great program that care about their patients. From the day we walked in for a consult to the ongoing care we have been consistently treated by top notch people and professionals. It is obvious that this facility puts its patients (and their families) before anything else. My family is forever indebted to this great organization.