Midwest Institute for Addiction in St. Louis, MO

Call () - to Contact Midwest Institute for Addiction

711 Old Ballas Road, Suite 203
St. Louis MO 63141

Midwest Institute for Addiction Philosophy

Midwest Institute for Addiction (MIA) is an evidence-based substance abuse and addiction treatment facility located in St. Louis, Missouri. MIA provides outpatient detoxification in place of a more traditional inpatient approach to detoxification to allow for maximum flexibility and comfort for those experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Clients are also invited to attend MIA’s luxury residential treatment program in Pasadena, California, which offers a comprehensive range of services including medically supervised detoxification, counseling, holistic services, and more.

• Out Patient
    Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

Motivational Interviewing

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Solution Focused Therapy

Joseph G. Pickard, PhD, LCSW

Clinical Supervisor & Addiction Therapist

Joseph Pickard completed his Ph.D. at Washington University in Saint Louis and received his MSW from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. Joe is an LCSW and has worked with substance abusing clients, with older adults, and as a school social worker. His research interests and publications are on the topics of addictions, religiosity/spirituality, mental health help-seeking patterns of older adults, aging in place, and counseling services provided by clergy to older adults and their families. Joe was a Hartford Doctoral Fellow while at Washington University in Saint Louis, and he was a Hartford Faculty Scholar and the primary investigator (PI) on The Clergy Counseling Project (CCP), which examines counseling services provided by clergy to older adults in St. Louis City and County. As an Associate Professor of Social Work at the University of Missouri – Saint Louis School Of Social Work, Joe teaches a popular course on Addictions as well as other practice courses.

Erin McLaughlin, LMSW

Director of Operations & Programs

Erin McLaughlin is a Licensed Master Social Worker. She received her BA in Sociology from the University of Missouri – St. Louis, and her MSW from Washington University in St. Louis. As a student and young professional, Erin has worked in a variety of social service settings including with individuals with disabilities in employment, adolescents with developmental challenges, and homeless citizens. Having concentrated in Social and Economic Development during her Master’s program, Erin also had the opportunity to work with a variety of populations throughout the St. Louis region. She soon came to realize how addiction impacts all facets of life under any circumstance. This understanding continues to fuel her passion for working in substance abuse. Additionally, her Human Resources and management experiences assist her in running the day to day functions of a growing agency. Her broad background gives her a unique set of tools to face the challenges and celebrate the excitement of her new role as the Director of Operations for the Midwest Institute for Addiction team.

ABOUT THE MIDWEST INSTITUTE FOR ADDICTION - ST. LOUIS

The Midwest Institute for Addiction (MIA) of St. Louis is one of two outpatient facilities operated by the addiction treatment provider. MIA also operates a upscale residential treatment facility in Pasadena, Calif. The St. Louis facility offers an intensive outpatient program and traditional outpatient program for individuals struggling with chemical dependency or co-occurring disorders. If necessary, MIA provides detoxification services on an outpatient basis through medication-assisted therapy (MAT), which helps to alleviate cravings and minimize withdrawal symptoms.

MIA offers a highly individualized treatment approach, which blends medication-assisted therapy, such as Suboxone and Vivitrol, with evidence-based treatment modalities, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). In order to evaluate each client’s individual needs, clients may first undergo an initial substance abuse assessment. While MIA’s programming is not based on 12-step principles and practices, the facility does encourage clients to participate in a self-help group in conjunction with treatment.

MAT plays a large role in MIA’s treatment approach. If necessary, clients are prescribed an appropriate dosage of their evidence-backed medication, which may be monitored and adjusted throughout treatment. Clients also participate in individual, group, and family counseling sessions. Utilizing the CBT approach, counseling sessions are designed to identify the relationship between irrational thinking patterns and addictive behavior. MIA also provides psychiatric evaluations and ongoing medication management for clients struggling with co-occurring mental health difficulties. Along with counseling sessions, MIA facilitates workshops on health and wellness, nutrition, meditation, and mindfulness.

MIA’s intensive outpatient program consists of at least nine hours of programming per week, while the traditional outpatient program can range from eight hours of weekly programming to a few monthly visits. The facility does not provide a timeline for its program, and clients can progress at their own pace. As the client nears program completion, clinicians provide discharge planning and case management services.

The Midwest Institute for Addiction employs a multidisciplinary team of physicians experienced in addiction medicine, board-certified psychiatrists, substance abuse counselors, family therapists, social workers, medical assistants, and dieticians.

At the time of this writing there have been eight alumni polled by Rehabs.com. Alumni gave the facility mostly positive feedback. Alum B.Y. gave a positive overall review of the facility. The alum gave the facility five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, and five stars for accommodations & amenities. B.Y. wrote that the program saved his marriage and life. “I was treated like I was important. My counselor took ownership in my recovery and helped me get where I am now...Despite my attitude, times of wanting to walk away from it all, they remained calm and compassionate and talked me off the ledge... had they not I'm not sure I would be married still or even around for that matter.

One anonymous alum gave the facility five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, four stars for accommodations & amenities, and four stars for meals & nutrition. The alum gave a very positive review of the facility. The client strongly agreed that the facility was adequately equipped and staffed to treat co-occurring mental health problems in addition to substance use disorders; that the facility staff were experienced and well-trained; and that the alum would recommend this facility to a friend or loved one who was considering rehab.

At the time of this writing there have been two friends or family members polled by Rehabs.com. Loved ones gave the facility high marks. One anonymous loved one gave the facility four out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, four stars for accommodations & amenities, and four stars for meals & nutrition. He agreed that the treatment plan was affordable and/or payment plans, scholarships, or financial assistance were made available; that the facility was clean and well maintained; and that family and loved ones were able to participate in treatment through facility programming. He wrote that a strength of the facility were the counselors but that the facility was expensive.

The Midwest Institute for Addiction accepts a range of commercial insurances, including plans by Anthem, Cigna, ValueOptions, and UnitedHealthcare.

Published on June 2017

Seems to be purely for money. On my first appointment, rather than being notified that the doctor was in the Virgin Islands, I was sat in front of a laptop and then told it would be an e-consultation. So then we talked for 10 min, I paid $450 and left with directions to take 5 medications. It worked to help me stop drinking, but after the next 4 followups were the same e-consultation I lost hope in the doctor. After 6 weeks I saw him for 10 minutes in person. This was just as helpful as his e-consultations. I paid over $1000 to talk to a computer screen, which is only my fault (when I complained about paying $150 for each 10 min visit, I was told I didn't pay every time. I have the bank statements, I paid for every appointment with the "Dr".) Lastly, he "developed" a régime of pills to take within 3 minutes of me stating my problems. It seemed like a cookie cutter approach at the time and I still believe it was. 0/10 would I recommend this office. I called 2 times to cancel an appointment, and was called back a third time to conform the appointment and also to let me know I owed about $100 for services not provided. Additionally, I called 6 or 7 times to try to learn about results from a blood test. Each time they took my number and offered me a call the next day. I received no call until they told me the results had been lost about a week after I started calling (which was 2 weeks after the test date). The aide seems to hold the operation together, while the doctor is not interested in helping patients and seems financially driven.

I would not advise anybody to go to Midwest I went four times and I'm still getting bills even with my insurance the doctor was amazing but the counselor was terrible but it's more about the bills I am still receiving

Thank God I found this place! They not only helped my get and stay sober, they also helped me reconnect with my family and repair the relationships that were destroyed by my addiction. The staff is awesome, compassionate, supportive, and professional—they helped me every step of the way. I've never been to another treatment center before this one, but I've heard enough stories and have compared notes with enough people who have to learn I made the right move by coming to Midwest Institute for Addiction! They saved my life and made it worth living again. I have never felt so grateful.

If you made the decision to face your problems with addiction and/or alcohol, the next step you should take is to go to Midwest Institute for Addiction. I can't say enough about M.I.A.! They support you every step of the way while you rebuild your life and learn how to live an awesome sober life like a rockstar. Unlike most rehabs, M.I.A. isn't just another 12 step recovery program you have to pay for. Every stage of treatment is overseen by licensed professionals—even the groups are lead by therapists. They have a more evidence-based and holistic approach to recovery and everyone’s treatment is specific to their needs...there is no cookie cutter approach to recovery at this place which is SO refreshing! I owe them more than I can ever pay back. The added bonus is—they take insurance! Regarding Nutrition—they also have a registered dietician that does wellness groups to help you avoid replacing your drug/alcohol addiction with a raging sugar/food addiction like I have in the past.

I came to MIA after my third DUI in January. I have continued treatment here since that time. The staff here has been so incredibly supportive and caring. Kendra, the secretary is always encouraging every time I see her. You know she truly cares about the clients. The providers discuss things in a way that I understand which is important to me because I have learned so much about myself and alcoholism. I have recommended this facility to several close friends and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone that is questioning if they have an alcohol or drug addiction problem or who are seeking treatment. My life is changing in ways I felt may not be possible again. They truly care about changing lives and assist you in living a healthy life of sobriety. I have gone through some really difficult times and never thought talking to someone would be as beneficial as it has been. One of the ways MIA is set apart from and is different than other places, is the holistic approach to treatment. I see a physician, a therapist, and have group discussions several times a week. I have never been to a place that provided all the aspects of care that I need in one place which is why I know MIA is the best.

strength:I was treated like I was important. My counselor took ownership in my recovery and helped me get where I am now. The medical staff were nice and helpful but most of what I did involved a team of therapists that worked with me and my wife. It saved my life and my marriage. I am grateful. weakness:n/a They were innetwork with our insurance and still worked with us on a payment plan for our deductible and copays which made the difference of me getting into treatment or not. They care and I can't think of any way to say thank you other than going aroudn adn telling people. na me and my wife enjoyed how we were treated by staff both the treatment itself and the general interactions that we had regularly. More than anything, I saw with my own eyes the hurt and anger of people like me going in there, and cannot imagine the task of treating these people and making them happy :) I was one of those. Despite my attitude, times of wanting to walk away from it all, they remained calm and compassionate and talked me off the ledge... had they not I'm not sure I would be married still or even around for that matter.

This is hands down, thE best treatment center in St. Louis! The staff treats you like a person, not a "patient". They are respectful, passionate and it is obvious they genuinely care about their clients. I love that they don't have some cookie cutter program—everything is personalized and they are awesome at explaining the science behind addiction and recovery. They even offer genetic analysis to help determine which medication your body will respond to best. This report could have saved me from years of switching medications around trying to treat depression and anxiety. I had no clue this simple blood test existed until I came here. Fingers crossed, I will never have to go through the process of getting sober again—but I find comfort in knowing MIA exists!

The staff were professional. The program was fitted to my current needs (i just came out of another program and most places just wanted to throw me into a program...just because) and they worked around my work and family schedule even on weekends. I read some of the other reviews and I don't think enough people that do well and truly appreciate what these people do voice their experience. I for one am forever greatful to Mia and the people there who showed me and my family that they cared about me getting better.

I attended MIA for a couple months for alcohol.I stopped after a few months because it was not helping. Counselor was not professional, group meetings did not apply to me as they were mostly drug addicts, the urine testing was not a deterrent, so a waste of money, even the physician told me "I wasn't that bad" instead of encouraging me to stop drinking. I would not recommend this organization for help with alcohol addiction.

Research shows that time in treatment is directly proportionate to the benefits achieved. We recommend a minimum of six months for this reason (not that this is binding as clients can leave at any time without financial consequences, unlike other programs). In fact, our own data and research alludes to the progressions made in treatment overtime. We identify quality of life measures that are self-reported by clients through series of questions; these include alcohol use, drug use, physical health, psychiatric health, family and social health, employment, and legal issues. Our research found that the severity of these issues in our clients improves by 67.7% across all client data over a period of 6 months. Within the first 3 months the alcohol use, drug use, and physical health significantly improve to this level. Family and social health, psychiatric health, legal, and employment improvements are significant at this level over a period of 6 months. An individual only in the program for 30 days (to be more precise) cannot expect to benefit to the full extent of treatment. Our client diagnoses breakdown to be 45% opiate, 40% alcohol, and 15% other (these are primary diagnoses and many have multiple diagnoses (poly-substance abuse); our groups typically reflect these percentages. Urine drug screens, like blood panels, x-rays, MRIs, and other diagnostic tools are not designed as deterrents to any disorder. Our diagnostic tools are utilized to enable our medical doctors, psychiatrists, and therapists to provide safe and effective treatment through medications, psychiatric modalities, and behavioral modalities.

This facility hires many inexperienced counselors and suffers from an extremely high turnover rate of its staff. You can expect frequent cancellations of meetings and events on very short notice, and many groups require that you sign up for attendance up to a week in advance. Sessions would often end early and abruptly without explanation, and some of the counselors were quite unprofessional at times. My advice is to seek treatment elsewhere.

We only employ Masters and Doctorate level clinicians (counselors) that are licensed by the State in which they practice and have experience in substance abuse disorders and mental health issues; this is a much higher standard than the majority of facilities in the Midwest. The majority of our counselors have been with the facility for over 3 years, some of which have been employed since we opened. Some of our meetings do require a sign-up sheet; we do this so that groups do not exceed more than 10 clients. The limited group size enables a more intimate and clinically sound session as opposed to large group settings. What is not stated is that our groups include over 24 hours of available times throughout the week, times that include mornings, afternoons, evenings, and weekends. We provide groups, therapy, and physician visits until 8 pm during the week to accommodate our client’s schedules and deliver quality care that is least restrictive to their lives. We encourage our clients to bring their concerns to staff immediately to be addressed. If clients do not share these concerns it is impossible for our team to address them. MIA is well regarded in the community and across the profession and is one of three referral sources for St. Louis University’s and Washington University-St. Louis’s endocrinology departments; this is not from low-quality care or inadequate customer service.

Very comfortable place to be. Very beneficial place.

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your time and words.

The staff always having a positive attatude this is a great place my son had a drug problem and they helped him kick the habit i am so glad he decided to go there

We are glad your son is doing well and wish you and your family the best in your future. Do not forget about our free alumni services should you wish to utilize them.

The counselors were good. Cost alot of money

Thank you for your review. We are in-network with the majority of providers in the areas of our facilities but do realize that costs can be higher for uninsured individuals or those who have plans with high deductibles and/or co-pays. We have financial programs to finance internally to make treatment more affordable, increase access to care, and ensure treatment is less financially intrusive to families.

I would strongly discourage anyone from using this treatment center. Horrible 5-1/2 weeks. They counseled our 20 year old son, addicted to drugs and alcohol, to move out (of our his parents home) and to be financially responsible for himself. They encouraged him to be on his own and if he wanted to move back into the same the environment where he was previously housed, where drugs and alcohol are a daily event, that is his decision. After paying $3,000 for eight weeks - they discharged my son after 5-1/2 weeks and offered no credit. They also told us told us that they cannot help us any more and that we cannot schedule or participate in any add'l family or group therapy. If you are looking for a facility to further damage your family unit and leave your bank account substantially lighter, this is the right place. If you are looking for real help with addiction for a 20 year old family member, stay away from Midwest Institute for Addiction.

We at MIA are very understanding of your situation and the difficulties that you face. We apologize if you feel that your experience was not what you expected and want to clarify your concerns. These issues were never brought to our attention or we would have diligently worked to resolve them. One of the biggest challenges for families comes when their loved one is in the pre-contemplation stage of change. This leaves the families working seemingly harder than the loved one they want well. Family treatment is a significant portion of our programs because, as the primary advocates and support system for the patient, it is important to find the difficult space between enabling negative behavior and supporting positive change. It can be difficult and frustrating when the loved one is not as engaged in recovery as the family. Part of our responsibility to our patients is to advocate for their wellbeing and recovery; at times this takes facilitating levels of care that are more appropriate to the patient and beyond our scope of practice. We would never deny services unless we found it would be a detriment to this aim and would only do so in conjunction with the information, services, and resources required to aid in a successful transition; a service we offer at no charge to anyone that walks through our door. This cannot be accomplished if the patient and family refuse our recommendations and efforts. It is understandable to be upset after spending valuable resources and not experiencing the desired outcomes. No outcomes can be guaranteed in this area of medicine but it is not from the lack of our staffs’ or organization’s efforts or empathy. We are in-network with the majority of major insurance policies and for those we are out-of-network with; we do not balance bill and accept their rates. We accept insurance assignment while maintaining the quality rich treatment of expensive and self-pay facilities. Furthermore, if insurance denies services that our staff and the patient deem clinically necessary, they are continually provided at no cost to the patient. For those without insurance we have a sliding scale rate system and a concierge monthly rate to protect patients and their families financially while providing the level of care they require. Our concierge rate for self-pay is $1500.00 per month which means patients are billed per-service up to this rate; a rate which includes unlimited access to our medical doctor, psychiatrist, individual therapists, family therapists, dietitian, fitness experts, and other providers. A person paying $3000.00 for eight weeks of services likely received services valued in excess of this amount (typically a patient who meets this protective rate receives $1850.00-$3000.00 worth of services each month, totaling $3700.00 to $6000.00). In the case that charges exceeded the $3000.00, there would be no balance owed to the client or from the client, as the amount exceeding services would be written off. In the event that a balance is owed it would be refunded to the patient. We are often faced with difficult situations where doing what is in the best interest of the patient and family is in opposition to what they want or expect; creating the ethical dilemma of maintaining customer satisfaction and making clinical decisions that are in the best interest of everyone. MIA diligently works to improve our programs and maintain a patient-centered organization. We have the highest regard for your family and make decisions that reflect this.

Great staff and great program that care about their patients. From the day we walked in for a consult to the ongoing care we have been consistently treated by top notch people and professionals. It is obvious that this facility puts its patients (and their families) before anything else. My family is forever indebted to this great organization.

Synergy Recovery Center for Women
  • DBT Skills Classes
  • Nutritionist
  • Co-Dependency Class
Sunspire Health Hilton Head
  • Detox
  • Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)