Mount Regis Center

125 Knotbreak Rd, Salem, Virginia, 24153

3.5

About the Facility

Mount Regis Center – a 27-bed, fully accredited and licensed drug and alcohol treatment center located in historic Salem, Virginia – offers a structured inpatient recovery plan tailored to each individual client. Mount Regis’ team of caring and dedicated providers knows that recovery is both an individual and community undertaking. Many of the staff members at Mount Regis have at one time battled addiction themselves, and can easily empathize with clients who have chosen to travel the bumpy road to recovery. At Mount Regis, clients will discover a calming and inviting environment in which to realize their potential, and move towards a fulfilling life free from drugs and alcohol.

Holistic Therapy

Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Family Program

• Yoga
  • Individual Therapy
  • Nutritional and Wellness Counseling
Curt Lane

Curt Lane

Chief Executive Officer

Curt Lane has been with Mount Regis Center for more than seven years and was recently promoted to Chief Executive Officer, where he is primarily responsible for developing and maintaining the vision of the organization. Mr. Lane oversees business and clinical services, admissions, business office, finance, business development, customer service and human resources functions of the facility. He seeks business opportunities and strategic alliances with other organizations, plans, develops and establishes policies and objectives of the facility in accordance with corporate objectives, and directs and coordinates programs to provide funding for new or continuing operations in order to maximize return on investment and to increase productivity. Mr. Lane graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology from Bluefield State College in 1988 and a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration from Radford University in 1996.

Show Bio
Jenna Ratcliff

Jenna Ratcliff

Admissions and Business Office Director

Jenna Ratcliff has been serving as the admissions and business office director of Mount Regis Center since December 2011, where she is responsible for ensuring compliance with all admissions and billing/collection policies and procedures, managing all aspects of accounts receivable, preparing month-end reports, managing the intake process, helpline calls and referral management. Ms. Ratcliff graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration from Old Dominion University in 2008.

Show Bio

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT MOUNT REGIS CENTER

Mount Regis Center, located in Salem, Va., offers residential, outpatient, intensive outpatient, and detoxification treatment to men and women seeking treatment for addiction. The facility is located about 20 miles from historic Roanoke and is able to accommodate clients who have co-occurring disorders.

To be admitted to Mount Regis Center, clients may contact the admissions office by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to schedule a clinical assessment. The maximum length of stay at Mount Regis Center is six weeks, making it one of the states’ 24 (10.8 percent) of long-term treatment facilities. Most clients who are in need of detoxification begin with three to seven days of detox and then proceed to residential or outpatient treatment for continued recovery. The partial hospitalization program at Mount Regis Center offers ten hours of treatment per day, and the intensive outpatient program offers three hours of treatment per day.

The facility’s treatment program follows the 12-step method, which is used in 164 (73.5 percent) of Virginia’s treatment facilities. Throughout treatment, clients receive individual and group therapy, addiction education, 12-step programming, and family therapy.

A typical day at Mount Regis Center begins with breakfast and nursing services, followed by a group session beginning at 9 a.m. Group sessions occur throughout the day with breaks for lunch and dinner, and clients attend community 12-step meetings every day. Group exercise classes occur three times per week, and clients meet one-on-one with their counselor at least once per week. Free time is available in the evenings and on weekends, and clients participate in a group outing every Sunday afternoon.

Aftercare is available for all clients who successfully complete the program. Alumni are eligible to receive counseling and group therapy free of charge for three months after finishing treatment.

The treatment team at Mount Regis Center includes a medical director, physician assistants, a psychiatrist, and clinical psychologist, certified substance abuse counselors, licensed professional counselors, family therapists, registered nurses, recreational therapists and spiritual support and guidance counselors. It is one of the 50 (22.4 percent) of facilities in the state accredited by CARF.

Mount Regis Center offers 25 beds for male and female adults in a restored historic Virginia estate. The spacious facility is equipped with an outdoor fire pit and fitness room. Clients at Mount Regis Center are not allowed the use of cell phones or other electronic devices while in treatment at the facility.

At the time of this writing nine alumni polled by Rehabs.com gave Mount Regis Center mostly positive reviews, and eight of the reviewers said they would recommend Mount Regis Center to a friend or family member seeking treatment.

Holistic Offerings: 2.5/5
Family Participation: 4.4/5
Cleanliness: 4.3/5

When asked about the strengths of the facility, the reviewers mentioned that group sizes are small, the nursing staff is available 24/7, and staff are friendly and helpful. One reviewer provided positive feedback about the staff and "wonderful" food. “I would happily recommend this facility as they helped on my journey to sobriety immeasurably," another alum wrote representatively.

On Google, Mount Regis Center has an average rating of 4.3 out of five stars from 48 reviews to date.[1] Most of the reviews are overwhelmingly positive with specific feedback about the “Wonderful staff” and that it was a “safe space.” In one negative review, D.F. wrote about her son who was “dual diagnosis”. She wrote: “no Psychiatrist on site or even available at night for emergency calls and our son was taken to the hospital ER when he had an anxiety attack.”

On Facebook, where the facility can manage its own page, Mount Regis Center has an average rating of 4.7 out of five stars from 23 people to date.[2] Most of the reviewers indicate that the program was successful. Several alumni wrote how the “staff is awesome.”

The seven friends and family members polled by Rehabs.com at time of writing gave generally positive reviews regarding Mount Regis Center. When asked about the strengths of the facility, loved ones commented that admissions was easy and counseling was good. A common criticism of the facility was its expensive cost and problems regarding insurance.

Holistic Offerings: 2.5/5
Family Participation: 4.3/5
Cleanliness: 4.2/5

The single staff member polled by Rehabs.com to date gave a generally positive review of the facility. The anonymous employee gave the facility four out of five stars for affordability and exercise options. The staffer provided positive feedback about the staff's level of training and experience, and added, “I know that the programs here worked by the success stories we had.” However, the staffer did express a desire for great security at Mount Regis.

Mount Regis Center accepts private insurance including Aetna, Beacon Health Options, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, HealthSmart, United Healthcare, and UMPC. The facility does not accept Medicaid or Medicare.

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/mount.regis.center/reviews

Accreditations & Licenses
  • JCAHO
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

3.5/5
    3.4/5
    3.4/5
    3.6/5

• TJ
    THIS PLACE IS AWFUL! THEY LIE TO YOU JUST TO GET THE MONEY THEY WILL NOT GIVE YOU YOUR MEDICINE THAT YOU ARE ALREADY TAKING! WHEN DOCTOR ORDERS YOUR MEDICATION THE NURSING STAFF WILL WAIT ONE TO TWO DAYS TO EVEN GIVE IT TO YOU! NURSES IN MEDICATION ROOM ROLLS EYES WHEN YOU ASK FOR SOMETHING YOU ALREADY HAVE ORDERED THEN SAY THE DOCTOR DONT WANT YOU TO TAKE THAT AND OFFER SOMETHING THEY WANT TO GIVE! THEY WILL NOT TELL YOU WHATS IN THE CUP WHEN YOU NOTICED NEW PILLS THE NURSING STAFF SAY WELL DONT TAKE IT YOUR REFUSING THIS PLACE LIES TELLS YOUR FAMILY THEY CAN NOT FIND YOUR PAPER WORK HAD TO FILL OUT FOUR TIMES THEN WHEN YOU THREATEN TO CALL HIPPA THEY TRY TO KISS YOUR BUTT! THEY USE PAPER CHARTS AND WILL FAKE VITAL SIGNS AND ROUNDS!!!! DO NOT SEND YOYR FAMILY HERE
  • GJO
    This place might be OK for young people but not for sick or elderly geriatric patients. I did not get the type of care I needed. Had to constantly go down the hall to get vitals & meds & food or drink when I did not feel like it. The beds are just a board with a thin mattress over it. I wanted to leave. They lie to you and trick you. I had to threaten them to leave. They keep the truth from you as how to get discharged.
  • jym
    My son was excited at the possibility to go to Mount Regis as the final rehab step to maintain sobriety. To make sure this was the right place I called there to clarify a few points on their web page. There is a list of "things to leave home." But a pillow wasn't included. I called and they told me he could bring his own since it would guarantee a good nights sleep and prepare him for the programs. When he arrived after midnight because the driver was 5 hours late, the nurses tried to take his pillow away. Very disturbing. They allowed him to have it for the night, but the next morning they took it away saying it was the pillow or he had to leave. We live in Virginia Beach and Regis is in Roanoke 5 hours away. They didn't offer to bring him back or give him a bus ticket. They dropped him off at a mall at 10 in the morning. We drove 10 hours to pick him up because they wouldn't keep him on the property. They didn't give him his morning meds either. Dangerous! Before you send your child to this place, call them for more answers! Hope they tell you the truth!There website says to bring coins for phone calls or a calling card. Not true either. They make up rules as they go along. I guess they think once you are there you will do what they say not what is good for the patient. Absolutely awful! Thye didn't help my son's sobriety. They put it in jeopardy.
  • Lorelei
    I am a previous patient and I highly recommend MRC.A very caring staff.I felt very safe and comfortable there. I am on my way to a healthy recovery thanks to learning the tools and knowledge I received.My family and I are very grateful for my sobriety. 🤗🙌
  • SS
    Great place if you are there for the right reasons I am still clean today and wouldn't be without mrc it starts with you though you have to be ready the only problem i had when I was ready to leave it took 4 hours to discharge they need to work on that.
  • ALS
    Currently understaffed! 25-27 beds? No..Over 30. Takes 2 days for staff to act upon doctors requests, no response to three emails to three individuals (two days ago), no weekend receptionist ...Loved one there for six days has yet to have one on one with counselor!!?? They are exceptional at instilling, however, "you" are an adult?!
  • Br
    Need inpatient treatment
  • Sls
    Beware of this place! My loved one was kicked out & parent not notified for 2 hours later. The young girl walked on a highway & waited 4 hours for parent to drive there! They did not notify the parent until 2 hours after daughter kicked out. They would not allow the daughter to stay on the property because they didnt want the other patients to know she was kicked out! Anything could have happened to the young girl. She had no phone & no money! Absolutely unacceptable!
  • Marie
    The entire, incredible staff at Mt. Regis are exceptional...My life was saved and peace and serenity are a way of life for me now...I found my way spiritually and emotionally with a clarity that I never thought I would ever know. The best place to feel safe and in harmony with my Higher Power...I cannot say enough wonderful things about this place...God BLESS you all at Mt. Regis!!!
    I successfully completed the 28 day program. Never gone to rehab, I didn\'t know what to expect. Full day helpful sessions, good food, personal counselors, caring medical staff, and weekend activities helped me focus on the present instead of missing home. But here again, I WANTED help...I was never ORDERED to attend. If you are on the fence about treatment, THIS FACILITY IS THE ONE to enter.
  • Michael
    Amazing care...I walked in scared to death only to find how nice and welcoming everyone was! I was only there for detox but the care was exceptional and around the clock. Recommend this to anyone and everyone. Strict but only to a certain extent..mainly to prevent any infiltration of substances possibly brought in by patients. Most of the employees were addicts at one time and gave honest advice based on experience! I wish I could have afforded to stay for the whole 28 days but just the 5 days of detox I was there gave me an understanding of how important it is to get help if you need it. Would like to thank each and everyone there that I had an encounter with for being a smiling face and uplifting me to better myself. Great food, smoking if needed, and top of the line care! I felt as if I was a guest in there home. The groups and reading material can guide anyone that really wants to get clean and stay clean gives you a sense of hope and how to analyze certain situations and disorders and how to manage them. A++ . Stay clean and get the help you need at mount Regis recovery and health!
  • SS
    This place is so wonderful. My husband was there 4 yrs ago and unfortunately now my daughter is there. This is the place to go for \"help\"! They have food available 24/7. They allow patients to call home 4 days a week. They have the nicest staff. I could go on & on about how great this place is! They do activities w/the patients & take them to a gym. They go off campus to meetings. Again, i highly recommend Mount Regis. You won\'t be disappointed in their facilty or services. The only thing that i would change is to have their family visitation on the weekend b/c most people work during the week but its a small sacrifice to make to know my loved one is getting the helo they so deperately need.
  • M V
    Meals were great, Staff was wonderful. I only attended IOP and it was not as beneficial to me as AA meetings were. I went in one day and my insurance would not allow me to stay, I came back the next day and they allowed me to stay for 24 hours. The staff was very nice, the food was wonderful, the facilities were for the most part nice, I think for an overall experience it is a great place to start this journey.
  • Nancy
    Easy to be accepted as a patient. False advertising, unable to care for person with medical problems such as type 1 diabetes. Admission was coordinated by hospital, we were told they could care for person with type 1 diabetes, which they could not, sent daughter to ER 3 times eventually admitted to ICU with DKA , then they would not have ake her back stating she was " too sick " to be there
    good family involvement, needs to improve exercise program
    Friendliness and helpfulness, food choices and caffeine policy were no not the best. I would happily recommend this facility as they helped on my journey to sobriety immeasurably.
    Location and staff was good but security can be improved. I know that the programs here worked by the success stories we had
    I had a friend of 25 years attend this facility. He truly did not want to change when he went and he was kicked out of the program for breaking their rules. Now he is serving a 10 year prison sentence for drug related charges. Lesson to be learned: Play by the rules, change your own life. It is in a good location for people in need. However, it is too expensive.
    Mount Regis was there to help me through my addiction to alcohol. I needed a place to get over my addiction and start over. I learned that alcohol wasn't my friend it was my enemy. The counselors were very nice and seemed to understand what i was going through. They had a good, solid 12 step program. However, there was not enough interaction with family and there was not family counseling offered, that my daughter and I could have benefited from.
  • anonymous
    Recommend this place for loved ones.
  • anonymous
    The person entering treatment must want to get better; if not, the facility cannot do it for them. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
  • Betsy
    Great staff. my after care consisted of weekly meetings, for an indefinite period of time
  • Robert
    The facility has an entirely new staff since I attended, but the overall experience seems to be the same as with those I have spoken to. External meetings every day, small group (census max of 25), nurses on staff 24/7.
  • mb
    It was close by and seemed to fit what I needed.

Nearby cities with more treatment facilities: