Mount Sinai West - Addiction Institute of Mount Sinai

1000 Tenth Avenue, New York, New York, 11570

3.9

About Mount Sinai West - Addiction Institute of Mount Sinai

A comprehensive treatment center with over 40-years experience providing treatment, training and research, the Addiction Institute of New York is a Division of the Department of Psychiatry at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, and is affiliated with the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. The Institute’s outpatient program is comprised of separate yet integrated treatment components that range from low intensity to very high intensity services. The inpatient program features a flexible length-of-stay program for those who need an intensive, residential treatment experience. The Institute features state-of-the-art addiction treatment methods provided in a supportive atmosphere by a multidisciplinary team of experienced clinicians.

Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Medical Detoxification

Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

• Special Issues Groups (AIDS, Bereavement, Loss, Spirituality, Vocational Rehabilitation)
  • Exercise Program / Nutritional Counseling
  • Intensive Relapse Prevention Training

3.9/5
    3.8/5
    3.7/5
    4.4/5

• Charles
    The facility was thorough in all aspects of addiction treatment. Clean, well maintained hospital setting. Doctors were ALWAYS available for patients. Nursing staff was caring and attentive. All day program and meetings for patients. I have been in three rehabs over the years, and this was easily the best. I left with thorough knowledge of my disease, and a very positive outlook. The doctors were really wonderful. Without the doctors, this would be a very different, and, in my opinion, a less effective treatment. I am currently in aftercare at this facility. It is far from my house but well worth the trip. Very happy I went here- highly recommend it. Recovery is here if you really want it and are willing to do your part. Every addict knows that recovery requires active participation. Some of these reviews are unfair and confounding.
  • Rl
    Terrible treatment The doctor do not listen to your symptoms and do not medicate your withdrawal.The nurses are uncompassiinate drill seargeants. All the parents hated it. Do not go here under any circumstances.
    great program. it is a goods program it helperd me a lot
  • Tim
    Location, insurance, assignments, nightly 12 step meetings in-house was nice. All on partial floor of hospital, no recreation, no creative activities, no guidance/opinion of 12 step. The aftercare placement was good --> placed me in halfway house. Took Medicaid (temp gov. Assistance ), 1 on 1 counseling through but not incisive. No "lighthouse" of brilliance.
    no follow up they provide continuing education
  • Jay
    MY OVERALL TREATMENT WHILE THERE WAS FULLY EFFECTIVE. AS YOU PROBABLY ALREADY KNOW, SOBRIETY AND RECOVERY IS THERE FOR THE PEOPLE THAT TRULY WANT IT... AND I DID. MY RECREATIONAL DRUG AND ALCOHOL "RESEARCH" WAS OVER.ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I LEFT THE ORIGINAL PROGRAM IS BECAUSE IT WAS "THERAPEUTIC COMMUNITY" WHICH IS IMMENSLY DIFFERENT FROM A 28 DAY PROGRAM. ADDITIONALLY, I LEFT BECAUSE I NO LONGER FELT SAFE AS A GAY MAN. ALSO BECAUSE MY SUPPORT FROM THE COUNSELORS BEGAN TO GET CONTENTIOUS. I BELIEVE THIS WAS BECAUSE I CARRIED MYSELF DIFFERENTLY THAN MY CO-DRUG SOBER ADDICTS (WHICH OFTEN HAPPENS) AND ONCE IT CAME TO LIGHT THAT I HAD BEEN TO COLLEGE, IT SEALED THE DEAL. ONE OF MY COUNSELORS IN MY CONVERSATION ABOUT NO LONGER FEELING SAFE, AMONGST OTHER THINGS HE SAID TO ME THAT BECAUSE I HAD A LITTLE BIT OF COLLEGE AND I SPOKE WELL, I HAD A "BETTER THAN ATTITUDE" TO WHICH I REPLIED THAT THIS WAS NOT TRUE BECAUSE I RECOGNIZED THAT I WAS AN ADDICT JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE THERE AND MY WILLINGNESS TO DO THE PROGRAM WAS MY GOAL. AFTER FURTHER UNINSPIRING DIALOGUE, I DECIDED TO LEAVE THAT NIGHT WITH THE 1 TOKEN THAT THEY GAVE ME, MUCH TO THE CONCERN OF THE PEOPLE I HAD GOTTEN TO KNOW WHILE THERE, TRYING TO ENCOURAGE ME NOT TO LEAVE BECAUSE I WOULDN'T STAY SOBER. I TOLD THEM THAT I WOULD AND NEVER COME BACK THERE. I STAYED SOBER UNTIL I GOT A BED AT SMITHERS. MY SOBRIETY DATE WAS NOVEMBER 7TH 1990. I HAVE BEEN SOBER EVER SINCE THEN...23YRS FOR WHICH I WILL BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.
    Great facility.
    great program...it is a goods program it helperd me a lot
  • Tim
    Location, insurance, assignments, nightly 12 step meetings in-house All on partial floor of hospital, no recreation, no creative activities, no guidance/opinion of 12 step. The aftercare placement was good --> placed me in halfway house. Took Medicaid, 1 on 1 counseling through but not incisive. No "lighthouse" of brilliance.
  • DJ
    It served a well needed purpose for me. Its not fancy but it is focused and driven. As much as they can do, it still requires YOU to make the effort. This is true of anywhere.
    Good personnel. Person still in rehab.
    Well trained staff. Meals were bad. I found the facility very helpful.
    Availability and doctors bedside manner was good. The availability of beds and treatment was great, especially when is in dire need.