Mountain Manor Treatment Center in Baltimore, MD

Call (410) 233-1400 to Contact Mountain Manor Treatment Center

3800 Frederick Avenue
Baltimore MD 21229

Mountain Manor Treatment Center Philosophy

Maryland Treatment Centers Inc., also known as Mountain Manor Treatment Centers, provides a comprehensive continuum of treatment for persons of all ages with problems involving substance use. We feature specialty services for adolescents, young adults and adults. Clinical programs include assessment, residential/inpatient, detoxification, day treatment, intensive outpatient and outpatient substance abuse, dual diagnosis, mental health, special education and prevention services. Mountain Manor treatment programs are accredited by the Joint Commission (JCAHO).

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

• Outpatient
    Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.

Family Education

Family Counseling

Continuing Care Planning

ABOUT MOUNTAIN MANOR TREATMENT CENTER — BALTIMORE

The family-owned Mountain Manor group runs 11 substance abuse treatment facilities that provide the full continuum of care for adults and adolescents in the Maryland/DC region. This facility six miles west of downtown Baltimore offers detox, residential treatment, and outpatient care for adolescents (ages 13 to 17) and young adults (18 to 25) struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders.

The adolescent and young adult programs are housed in separate units and are unique to the needs of each age group and gender. According to Mountain Manor’s website, the facility is particularly well equipped to treat youth who have been resistant to treatment elsewhere, thanks to a combination of highly individualized treatment and “solution-oriented approaches.”

Also noteworthy is the organization’s dedication to treating youth opioid addiction. Its medication-assisted treatment program uses buprenorphine (Suboxone) and extended-release naltrexone (Vivitrol) along with individual, group, and family counseling.

The residential program combines medical care with psychiatric evaluation and treatment, cognitive behavioral approaches, motivational enhancement, and relapse prevention strategies, and assesses and treats co-occurring disorders. The Mountain Manor school provides school credit, tutoring, and educational assessments.

For those attending the dual diagnosis clinic, the center offers Integrated Dual Disorder Treatment (IDDT), which promises holistic, integrated treatment that includes medication and psychotherapy.

According to Mountain Manor’s website, staff includes board-certified psychiatrists, pediatricians, licensed social workers, psychologists, nurses, therapists trained to treat co-occurring disorders, and certified addiction counselors. The five individuals polled on the staff’s level of training and experience at the time of this writing gave it an average rating of 4.4 out of five stars.

Although the facility’s website notes very little information about its living arrangements and amenities, it does note transportation is provided at no cost to local clients. The six individuals polled on the facility’s cleanliness at the time of this writing gave it an average rating of 4.33 stars.

To date, Rehabs.com has received three reviews from alumni of this facility, of which one was positive and two negative. The anonymous positive reviewer gave the facility four or five stars for almost every evaluated aspect of the facility, including its accommodations, holistic options, and overall treatment effectiveness. “They are full of caring people not there for just their paychecks, they really want to help people get better,” the alum wrote.

The other two reviewers wrote that they felt treatment was not adequate. One alum, Vic, wrote “counseling was not very good and many many fights were going on.” Another alum wrote that AA meetings would have provided just as much education, and criticized the physical facility. “It's nothing but a run down 1970's era motel that needs refurbishing badly… Lousy food,” they reported.

Of the nine loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, six gave positive reviews of the facility, two gave negative feedback, and one was ambivalent. The five loved ones polled on the facility’s counseling options, family program, and holistic options gave them above average ratings of four, 4.2 and 3.8 out of five respectively.

More than one reviewer praised Mountain Manor’s flexibility about payments and qualified staff. For example, M.W. wrote that after the insurance company stopped paying for her son’s treatment, the “facility agreed to keep him despite that decision as long as family paid the boarding fees.” An anonymous loved one, whose cousin attend the facility, wrote “The way the staff has your back and pushes you to succeed is amazing.”

Yet others raised serious concerns about a lack of proper care and attention. M.O. felt that their child did nothing at Mountain Manor but watch movies, adding “The feel of the place is not warm and frankly seems disorganized.” An anonymous loved one wrote that “staff acted unprofessional,” although they added, “The facility was helpful and staff knowledgeable.”

The single staffer surveyed at the time of this writing rated the overall quality of care and leadership only one out of five stars. “I do not believe this was a great facility and they do not pay fair salaries,” the staffer wrote.

According to the facility’s website, Medicaid is accepted along with most forms of private insurance and various state and county funding streams. A sliding fee scale is offered. The six individuals polled on the facility’s affordability at the time of this writing gave it an average rating of 3.5 out of five stars.

Updated April 2017

Published on June 2017

My grandson went twice not a good place the counseling is a joke all they do is put you on meds groups to crowed to be of any help don't go here try the sober truth in taneytown md it is a real treatment center.

DO NOT! I repeat, DO NOT attend this facility. The time that I spent there was a complete waste and had I read further reviews before making my choice, I would have steered clear of Mountain Manor as a whole when it comes to treatment. The facility is terrible and deprecated, the staff (excluding the secretaries who were lovely and friendly the whole time) are incompetent. The program itself should be removed and Mountain Manor should be refused to allow to continue with their horrible idea of outpatient treatment. Explanation of rating: I was admitted to this facility after receiving a DUI for marijuana. As I refused to take any roadside testing as I wished to speak to a lawyer first, I was charged with failure to comply and test refusal so was sent to this facility for alcohol treatment as well. During my initial interview, I made the admissions counselor aware of my situation. I explained that I was having mental issues and provided paperwork showing that I was suffering from depression and extreme anxiety. I informed him that I was seeing a specialist and that medication was being prescribed to me and until the correct dosage could be administered, I was utilizing marijuana to cope. He was very understanding and agreed that as long as my levels diminished during my tests, I could continue within the program. Afterwards I was referred to a younger counselor and informed that he would be my main treatment counselor for personal sessions while at Mountain Manor. I provided him with the same information described above and he informed me that this was all well seeing as I would be in treatment for 26 weeks. This would give me plenty of time to correct my medication and complete the program. After a few months and multiple drug tests where THC was present, I was still told multiple times that it was ok with the counselors as my levels were lower each subsequent testing. Fast forward a month and my counselor was switched to the head counselor. I was then informed that my initial counselor was incorrect in the time allotted for my program and that it was supposed to be 26 sessions, not weeks. She performed a calculation on the amount of time that I had left within the program and it was determined that I would only be there for another two weeks as I had completed 22 of my 26 sessions (2 sessions per week, back to back, one being group and the other being “personal” which I will explain further below). I completed my two sessions that week and was on my final sessions when the head counselor brought me into her office. She then pulled out my urinalysis from a month prior and stated that I tested positive for THC and she was removing me from the program immediately. When I asked why, she stated that because I failed to be clean 3 months prior to dismissal, I could not complete the program. I then reiterated the fact that she was aware of, that I was informed I would be here longer and my counselor, as well as her, had been fine with my positive tests in the last few months. I furthered by adding that if her statement was correct with regards to the three-month policy, then I should have been removed after my second urinalysis which was roughly 1.5 months into the program. She then stated that there is also a policy stating that I would have needed to be past the drug screening within 1 month of being enrolled at this facility. I calmly asked her where this policy was located in which failed to produce any documentation. I again stated that if this was the case I should have been removed after my first urinalysis, but as was shown, I was allowed to continue as my counselors were aware of my situation and approved it “as long as my THC levels continued to diminish through my treatment”. She then became irate and started screaming at me completely abandoning all professionalism. I calmly asked her if I we were finished here and if I was allowed to leave in which she started screaming again and following me down the stairs continually yelling at me that I could never return. Progressing further a couple months and it seems that she has been removed from this facility. I was unable to attain a reason why from the new head counselor, but my assumption could only lead me to believe it was due to clear unprofessionalism. When inquiring about returning to complete my treatment as my medication has been adjusted correctly. He informed me that I would not be able to return and if I would like, I could attend another Mountain Manor facility but would have to complete the entire twenty-six session program again. I was provided with my discharge paperwork and it was evidently clear that she manipulated all of the events to cast blame in my direction for her incompetence.The new head counselor stated that my account of the events was pretty accurate and articulated well as I gave great detail with regards to the events and actions that took place. He even confirmed that my description of the events seemed to match up with the discharge paperwork excluding the negative portions (as they were not true). When I inquired as to why I was dismissed from the facility, especially considering how according to their policies that I was never shown, he could not provide a clear answer only stating counselors have discretion as to who and when they can discharge. With Regard to the Sessions: Group: All I can say is that this facility is a joke and their treatment is not in any way helpful. A majority of the hour-long group sessions was spent with the counselors asking non-related questions to the individuals in the group. We often spent our time talking about current events instead of educational material that might be more helpful. One meeting I recall specifically was around 42 minutes talking about the Grammy’s, a conversation started and fueled by the counselor in charge of the session). The rest of the sessions were Youtube videos that were twenty minutes in length, usually one per session, followed by questions regarding people’s personal lives and what their weekend plans were. Nothing, besides maybe a few powerpoint slides totaling 10 minutes of content was relevant or helpful during the entire time you were present. Personal: An even bigger joke. My session consisted of my counselor and I talking about comic books as he is fan of Daredevil. He would spend the majority of his time on his PC while I sat in his office. When I asked if I could do something more productive, such as study for a DANTES college test (On Alcohol and Drug Abuse, believe it or not.) he firmly told me no multiple times. I asked if I could go to the gym to increase my physical and mental health and I would provide verification of my attendance he quickly again stated “No!”. I would often ask him what are we supposed to be doing in this session in which he would reply “We can do whatever you want, it’s your time.” In which I would bring up the previously mentioned options and he would state, no we can’t do that. It got to the point of him reading chat boards and myself sitting in his office for an hour. Pathetic. Overall: This facility is a joke. The counselors are incompetent and unprofessional. There is no vested interest in them educating you on anything helpful for individuals needing rehabilitation. It is essentially a place where you go for a few hours a week as they try to justify they are treating people when in reality they essentially are just collecting money and make up rules on the spot so that they can increase profit whether the actions are due or not. The staff lacks integrity, knowledge, and any urge to be helpful. I was allowed to continue my treatment until the last possible moment for them to collect as much money as they could then immediately dismissed over what was a clear error on Mountain Manor’s behalf. AVOID THIS AND ANY OTHER MOUNTAIN MANOR FACILITY AT ALL COSTS. There are much better places with much better counselors and hopefully this review will steer individuals clear therefore reducing their profit and possibly causing this location to shut down. P.S. Again, none of the above pertains to the front office staff that was quite enjoyable, friendly and helpful the entire time. As I stated, the original head counselor has since been removed but I am aware that other staff that are still present there and from my interaction with the new head counselor it’s apparent it was just a rotation in their practices.

ALERT!!!? DO NOT LET YOUR LOVE ONES TO GO HERE???? Between the bed bugs and the rodents you have to deal with food that taste like cardboard. The counslers are old and uncaring. The rules had to be from Hitlers day. They allows a pregnant women to leave with out her life saving meds and said to me oh well. This place should be a bit down immediately

My grandson has medical assistance and was able to come to Mountain Manor and be detoxed and stay for two weeks. He actually left Mountain Manor a lot healthier than he arrived. They helped him get into a aftercare program and found him a sober place to live

I went to this rehab Mountain Manor on Frederick Road across from the cemetery and very much so low class people from Arc of Baltimore mostly counseling was not very good and many many fights were going on...I hate the facility very much so and what makes me mad about it the most was a gentleman who was in The Turk house detoxing off of heroin and alcohol 2 months before I went into Mountain Manor I know because I seen him in the Turk house when I was detoxing there but he had a job working at Mountain Manor as a technician counselor with under a year clean you're not allowed to do that so very very disrespectful...

My son was referred to this facility from the hospital for mental illness and drug rehab. He was released from the hospital on a Monday with an appt. on Tuesday to Mountain Manor at 12:30 pm . He showed up to the appt. on time and was not seen until 5:30 pm that evening for intake.He was told he was suppose to have a meal, but that food was given to someone else. He txt me and said, he wanted to leave, I told him to stay and give it a chance. He stated to me he told the night manager and the night manager acknowledged that the facility knew about the bed bugs and for my son to put his clothes in the dryer to kill them. My son went back the next day to retrieve his personal belongings and the facility had set them outside on the doorstep. My son will not return to this facility.

I went in on a Friday and walked out on Monday. It's nothing but a run down 1970's era motel that needs refurbishing badly. One small motel room, tiny bathroom, THREE beds! I was lucky there were only two of us and that was a crowd. Lousy food. It was Feb. and had to go out into freezing cold to get anywhere. Not handicapped accessible. Program wise, I could have learned the same as an AA meeting or 100. 4 days cost $2100! BEWARE, STAY AWAY.

A good care with personla touch, not affordable. Good keep uo the work

great people offer easy and flexibility payments, hobbies to keep your mind off things. My sister was here for 60 days and this was the best rehab she had been to and the only one that she stuck with. She had been in three other ones and left

Helps all age groups but staff acted unprofessional. The facility was helpful and staff knowledgeable, but there is room for improvement.

My son went to this facility. He complained starting the first day. At first I didn't believe him and thought he was manipulating just to get out but as I found out during his week long stay he was right. When I called to check about his complaints ( threatened by other residents, hadn't seen Pychiatrist, or case manager ). The staff wouldn't return my call and when his case manager called he had excuses about why things weren't getting done. I finally requested to speak to the supervisor. The supervisor admitted to me the stuff wasn't complying with their duties. The feel of the place is not warm and frankly seems disorganized. My son said all they did was watch movies. I will be complaining to the insurance now because it's a shame that they are charging them so much money for babysitting.

It was a nice facility and it keeps family involved.

Join now, you will thank me later....... my cousin has been clean for going on 10 years since mountain manor. The way the staff has your back and pushes you to succeed is amazing. They just need more varieties of food.

They are full of caring people not there for just their paychecks, they really want to help people get better. I went in to it opened minded and that's what helped the most I think, along with the people there really knowing how to hit the right chords with how I was feeling. The only downfall was their location.

I do not believe this was a great facility and they do not pay fair salaries.

Not long enough stay. 28 days they are just getting a hold of their withdrawals. Needs to be 60 days or longer.

Insurance indicated that it was not "medical necessary" for patient to stay after downgrading from inpatient to partial. Facility agreed to keep him despite that decision as long as family paid the boarding fees.

Recovery Unplugged at Harrison House
  • 20-beds
  • 2:1 Staff to Client Ratio
  • Free in-person consultation
Photo of Tranquility Woods Addiction Treatment Center
Tranquility Woods Addiction Treatment Center
  • Affordable options for every client
  • 12 Step Behavioral Addiction Recovery