Muse in Los Angeles, CA

Cardio Workshops
Cognitive Training
Art Therapy

ABOUT MUSE

Formerly known as A New Start, Muse is a private rehab agency that runs two recovery homes in Culver City, in west Los Angeles, as well as an outpatient office in Westwood Village. Across its facilities, Muse offers detox and residential treatment, outpatient care, and sober-living facilities for adult men and women who are struggling with substance use disorder or a dual diagnosis.

The center also offers medication-assisted treatment (MAT) for opioid addiction, using Suboxone and Subutex — making it one of the 21.9 percent of California-based facilities to offer Suboxone regimens.

Muse uses multidisciplinary, evidence-based care in a tiered program, so that clients gradually progress through a tapering series of treatments, until they're ready to resume their everyday lives.

Treatment programs are individualized, using three core approaches: therapy and discovery; relapse prevention and education; and brain training, which uses neurofeedback and research-driven cognitive training to counteract the damage caused by substance use.

Clients entering less than 48 hours after using substances are automatically placed on detox status, which involves a medical evaluation following by medical monitoring and prescribed medications to ease the symptoms of withdrawal, as needed.

During residential treatment, clients can participate in a range of holistic activities, such as yoga, meditation, massage, and exercise, in addition to more traditional treatments, such as counseling and educational classes. In order to prepare them for life after treatment, residents are also given nutritional support and career counseling, which includes interviewing workshops and vocational education.

Muse's primary outpatient offering is an intensive outpatient program (IOP) that uses therapy and neural rehabilitation alongside 12-step facilitation. Treatment is carried out in group sessions and includes therapeutic groups on topics such as anger management and life skills, as well as holistic and process-based sessions, including journaling, acu-meditation, art therapy, and body image sessions.

Muse's sober living facilities offer safe, sober homes where clients are expected to continue to participate in 12-step programming, with added community-building and safety procedures such as house meetings, group outings, and a curfew.

Muse's website notes that its multidisciplinary team includes a board-certified physician, a licensed clinical psychologist, and drug and alcohol trainees, some of whom are themselves in recovery. Both alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff's level of training and experience gave it perfect five-star ratings. However, a former staffer gave the center just one star for both the experience levels and credentials of its staff.

Men and women live in separate, modern, sunny apartments, with shared bedrooms, slick decor, and common areas with couches and TVs. Both of the individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center's cleanliness gave it five-star ratings.

Of the eight alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, five are positive and three are negative. Both of the alumni polled on a wide variety of the center's treatment metrics gave it five-star ratings for its family participation, counseling options, and ability to treat co-occurring disorders.

In addition, satisfied alumni repeatedly praised the center's staff and responsive, individualized therapy options: "The facility is clean and the staff cares and has recovery experience," D.J. wrote in a typical comment. Alum L.D. added: "I can strongly say, without a doubt, that A New Start saved my life."

Among the negative reviews, some alumni questioned the facility's perceived financial-driven motives, well as isolated complaints about high staff turnover and unfair punishments. "Poor poor place. Care about money before. ur care and health," one anonymous reviewer wrote.

Muse has mostly positive feedback on secondary sites, with average ratings of 4.4 out of five stars based on seven reviews on Google and 3.1 out of five stars based on eight reviews on Yelp.[1] [2] The positive reviewers on both sites repeatedly noted they had got sober at Muse after numerous failed attempts at other centers. "I have been to a few treatment centers. Unfortunately, that is what it took for me. But Muse is where it all fell into place. The staff here actually care," Paige wrote on Yelp in a typical comment.

However, there were also repeated complaints about a lack of proper treatment programming and disorganization. "This place has decent staff, but lacks the stronger therapy. I really did not see a therapist, but someone who was in school for drug counseling?" Caitlyn wrote in a representative negative review.

WHAT FRIENDS AND FAMILY SAY

The single family member polled by Rehabs.com to date gave negative feedback, writing that Muse (formerly A New Start) didn't keep them informed about their loved one's care. "As a family member (wife) I was left completely out of the rehab process, outside of the initial call from his female therapist. Family involvement is not high on their list of issues to cover while in rehab," N.S. wrote.

Of the three staff reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, one is positive and two are negative. "They practice what they deliver and do not let unnecessary defenses come up that prevent learning and growth," H.T.N. wrote in the only positive review.

However, one former staffer echoed alumni complaints about money-hungry management, writing: "Heartless management Money before care Unsympathetic." The staff member also gave the center one star for its honesty, willingness to put clients' interests first, and overall quality of care. "Terrible place...I would never EVER send a client here. Stay away!" added the third staff member.

A New Start does not currently list its pricing online. However, according to the center’s website, most insurance plans are accepted. Both of the individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center's affordability gave it a four-star rating.

[2] https://www.yelp.com/biz/muse-treatment-los-angeles?osq=muse+treatment+center

Published on September 2018

I am a family member of a client. My husband was admitted to the 30day inpatient program. If you are looking for a facility that is based solely on the rehab of the client, then this is the place for your loved one. They are not about family involvement. As a family member (wife) I was left completely out of the rehab process, outside of the initial call from his female therapist. Family involvement is not high on their list of issues to cover while in rehab. That being said, you, as a family member, will have to resolve your issues with the addict/alcoholic after your loved one gets home. 10 minute phone calls with your loved one are allowed, per day. That is it! Makes for a very difficult time for a spouse to get through. The spouse is left feeling completely "out in the cold", uninvolved. This place left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. They had told my husband, more than once, that they would be in touch with me. I was told I would hear from the "family" therapist twice a week. I did not hear from her twice a week. Follow through with the family is lacking. I do hope my husband will not need rehab again, but if he does, this place will definitely be off the list of options. My ratings noted are based off the information given to me by my husband. He did complain that most of the time, all they had to drink was water. I guess they ran out of milk quite often.

I have had the pleasure of recovering at A New Start. Getting sober isn't easy and it sure isn't fun but it's so worth it. ANS has provided me with education, stability and support during all levels of care. Their staff is knowledgeable and most of them are in recovery as well. They provided a safe place for me to become my authentic self. I will forever be grateful to ANS. Thank you for giving me my life back!

A good solid place to get a "New Start." The daily groups provide thorough education, insight, and understanding into addiction, and how to overcome it. The facility is clean and the staff cares and has recovery experience. It's a family environment to feel comfortable in. Fun outings and events (beach volleyball, softball, BBQ) help people to feel comfortable as they learn to be social and open up again.

Solid place, their lead Doctor is really great at what he does. And everyone, from all walks of life come in here, so it's a great place to get real treatment. It's not the luxury malibu massage and pool type of center, but they've got great programs that are effective. I recommennd their outpatient treatment - never did their sober living.

Before we make an accurate review or even get into the review, we have to understand the nature of the struggle within the clientele population. Many times, we are challenged with basic instincts (since addiction high-jacks the brain and activates the primitive mid-brain) such as the two basic goals we have in life. 1) Escape pain, and 2) seek pleasure. Now many will wonder why those who go on the path of using experience so much pain but continue to stay on this direction...well it is because the pleasure behaviorally continues to out-weigh the pain (to put simply this sheds a lot of light on recovery as a whole). Addiction and mental illness is not something you either "have" or "don't have", it is an excessiveness of a certain anything within the human condition or the lack of it. For example, we all wash our hands and want to be clean but for those who do this extremely excessively, "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" can be considered...Keep all of this in mind as we now review a New Start Treatment as a facility that attempts to help individuals not only with their addiction, but to become better individuals and transcend their true nature as a whole. The above was mentioned to shed light on a brief understanding of the nature of the population. I do this because, through seeing negative reviews it seems as though one's experience in an uncomfortable place (yes, recovery is uncomfortable...very!), they will definitely seek out more negativity in order to feed the core emotion. In every relationship, if both parties give to one another and benefit, it will be a very healthy and gratifying experience. Therefore, of course there are times when we are challenged with addiction it will rub off onto how we dance in any relationship, even when we receive help from a treatment center. From this, I simply want to show that it is very difficult in this field (speaking from being a therapist) to always see smiles, cheers, constantly rewarding days. However, during my time at ANST in 2015, I saw appreciation from almost every single client, expressed in the best way they could. I saw a lot of connection, interpersonal growth, and genuine care from the staff, therapists, and leaders. I also experienced true, permanent change right before my eyes, and this is not from "curing" addiction, it is from reaching the deepest core of the individual and attaching a light that finally never went out. Are there those who continue to hold onto negativity, were there those who were uncomfortable - showing it daily, and did I see individuals going through the most difficult/painful time in their lives? Absolutely. If there was not, then that contradicts why they would need professional support in the first place wouldn’t it? Consider this as you read other reviews. I can confidently say that there is not perfect "Treatment Center" because...there is no perfect anything! The expectation can be one of the main problems in the first place. What I have experienced from a New Start that is also admirable is that there is a strong, collective growth. It is run by individuals who take client's feedback, perspectives, and experiences to the heart. They practice what they deliver and do not let unnecessary defenses come up that prevent learning and growth. In this field, we are all on a star ship, client or staff we all are going through something together. ANST is an organization dedicating their lives to walking with individuals (strangers) into a place of pain in order for them to grow, change, and find natural happiness. I have seen the intrinsic motivation as I mentioned before, there are many days where we hang on and be patient, hopeful there will be change. Why would people spend their lives/careers in a field where they are being negatively reviewed for doing their best to help others? If you think business, there are many, MANY businesses out there. Why do the staff spend time learning, going to school, owing in loans to sit in a dark place with their clients in hopes they can find their light? It is important that before we jump to conclusions, we view as many different angles as we can, a practice that also helps an individual grow, an approach valued by a New Start, and a component (along with many) I was given for my own growth during my time there. I will jump on the same boat with previous clients and also send ANST my appreciation and many thanks.

I went through A New Start and graduated from the program last year. I can strongly say, without a doubt, that A New Start saved my life. I had absolutely nothing to look forward to, nothing to live for, before entering A New Start. I had no relationship with my family, I had no friends, and I was absolutely destroying my body, just to not feel anything. From my first admissions call, I knew I was going to be in the right place. I was given one on one attention and made to feel comfortable about my decision to enter this program. I'm not going to lie- the program is not perfect...nothing is. There are little inconsistencies here and there that can be worked on, timeliness that can be worked on... but really, that's life! Having one day where I can't go to the gym at the promised time isn't going to make or break my sobriety. Having quality staff that genuinely care is what really helps you develop skills to stay sober. The one on one therapy was also incredible. The therapists are so great and really know what they're doing. They helped me get my relationship back with my family! I would have to say the day I look back on most fondly is my graduation. Staff stood in front of the community with me and vocalized all of the growth they had seen me experience. It was pretty incredible to have someone give me a certificate and remind me that I have come a long way. I have my 1 year sober birthday coming up, and I can genuinely say I wouldn't be here without A New Start. I still visit regularly as a member of the alumni program, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Poor poor place. Care about money before. ur care and health

They only care about the insurance check. If anyone speaks up they will be punished unfairly. I had to get dressed, make lunch and scrub the house every morning then have to be ready to go to go to "classes" within 1 he. If we were late we got left. If we didn't want the old get into a 8 seated car with 12-13 other people we were also repremended. In UP The staff would bring in pallets of snacks...... For them. In UP we had no food or snacks provided........ At home no food or snacks.... No transportation. Other sober livings offer uber travel expenses paid and food allowances on a DAILY BASIS. IOP was a joke. They made us sit around in rooms and talk. Most of the time aimlessly. There were. Maybe 3 or 4 good group leaders... The rest were clueless. They charge close to 25k a month for that IOP (the sober living).Don't send your loved ones here. I went to a different facility after much debate...... I wish I did it sooner. A new start is toxic.

Terrible place. I worked there on the clinical side of things...I would never EVER send a client here. Stay away!

Poor place. Don't recommend. Major major turnover in staff.

Heartless management Money before care Unsympathetic

Listen to needs. Having exercises to reach the goal.

Strengths: One on One therapy. Weaknesses: Price. I would recommend it.