Nova Counseling Services, Inc. in Oshkosh, WI

Call (800) 298-8170 to Contact Nova Counseling Services, Inc.

3240 Jackson Street
Oshkosh WI 54901

Nova Counseling Services, Inc. Philosophy

Nova Counseling Services knows that addiction is a disease that cannot be cured, but can be treated. The residential rehab follows an abstinence-based, 12-Step model and employs a team of qualified and compassionate professionals to help clients recover from drug and alcohol addiction. Treating chemical dependency is a complex and demanding process, but Nova is committed to helping those who suffer build an effective, sustainable and lasting bridge to sobriety.

• Aftercare Support
    Addiction recovery does not end with discharge after completing a rehab program. Facilities that offer aftercare planning and/or support work with patients to ensure sustainable recovery by helping to plan and make arrangements for transitional or sober living, help with housing, vocational counseling, etc.

Educational Programs

Individualized Treatment Plan

Gender Specific Groups

ABOUT NOVA COUNSELING SERVICES, INC.

Located on the outskirts of Oshkosh, Wis., near Lake Winnebago, Nova Counseling Services, Inc. provides residential treatment, outpatient services, and transitional living for adults seeking recovery from substance abuse. The state-licensed center is not a dual-diagnosis facility though it can provide referrals and recommendations for medical detox.

According to the center’s website, treatment is based on the principles of the 12-Steps and the disease model of addiction. Clients seeking admission in the 28-day residential treatment program must be examined by a physician either prior to or upon entry and be free of any communicable diseases.

Programming typically combines individual and group counseling with 12-step meetings both on- and off-site. As clients work through the steps, emphasis is placed on the first one: admitting powerlessness over addiction. Recreational therapy is another core component of the treatment curriculum.

Beginning with a 6:45 a.m. wakeup, a typical day in residential treatment offers opportunity for meditation, community meetings, educational lectures, gender-specific groups, chores, and writing assignments. Family sessions assist those interested in learning more about the recovery process.

Following their residential stay, clients in need of additional care may enroll into Terra House, the facility’s sober living program. Another program option is Focus, an intensive outpatient program (IOP) that meets weekday mornings. Once to twice weekly aftercare meetings also take place on an outpatient basis.

Nova Counseling Services’ employs a team of 10 certified substance abuse counselors (CSACs). There is no M.D. on staff.

The residential facility is comfortable, and accommodations are simple. Daily schedules are highly structured, keeping clients engaged from 6:45 a.m. until 10:30 p.m. While the main facility can house as many as 50 men and women at a time, Terra House has room for up to 12 persons.

Nine of the 11 alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com to date provided positive feedback on their personal recovery experiences. They indicated that they’d strongly recommend treatment and that the program was worth the cost. Many also gave the center five stars for the staff’s level of training and experience.

“For me it was the best experience of my life,” wrote alum Jim. “Saved my life.” Stan called the center “one of the best facilities in the Midwest” while Brenda similarly deemed it an “Awesome place!”

Two others, much in contrast, advised prospective clients to seek treatment elsewhere. Calling his experience here “Overall an expensive disappointment,” alum Brian told Rehabs.com of staff who were “Cold, impersonal and stern, often to the point of being militant.” And Nik told of staff who acted “like prison guards - miserable” and of counselors who “do not care about patients and spend little to no time with them.” “If you care about recovery, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE,” Nik warned others.

Alumni were also generally dissatisfied with the holistic and exercise options.

The seven loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com as of this writing shared more unanimously positive feedback. “Great family involvement and after care,” an anonymous reviewer wrote. “Very effective treatment for my loved one.” Others described the staff as “Amazing” and “well trained,” while Charlie summed the up the place as a “Wonderful facility with very dedicated staff.”

Of those polled on the matter, five loved ones shared an excellent average rating of 4.4 stars out of five when indicating how strongly they’d recommend the center to others. Yet, like alumni, loved ones also gave lower ratings for holistic offerings with average ratings in the category falling just short of three stars.

Though she found that “some of the staff members were incredible,” Julie was troubled by issues of weak communication: “We'd wait days for a return call.”

Treatment costs $200 per day, or $5,600 for a 28-day stay. Nova also accepts private health insurance, but does not offer any sliding scale fees.

Published on November 2017

Overall an expensive disappointment. My advice would be to look elsewhere. Zero mental health attention. Nova treats the "disease" of addiction, that is all. In the entire 28 days, no time was ever spent on getting their clients head's wrapped around why they seek to hide from the world with their substance of choice in the first place. When I asked why, I was told that wasn't important. The disease is the "real" issue. Couldn't it possibly be both...? At Nova there was almost no attempt at engaging the clientele and their specific needs. A very cookie cutter approach. And..."if this isn't working, it's your fault, not ours. We know what to do, you don't. Submit to power (Nova) and never forget that you are powerless..." Nova is big on instilling a mindset of addict for life. Including letting you know that it may take several times at treatment to make any headway. In addition, I am a counselor at several of the northern Wisconsin's prisons, and the staff that I met and spoke to at Nova were on an ego trip much like what I've observed when corrections officers interact with inmates. "Keep your mouth shut, we aren't interested in what you think." The message is, "listen to the lectures, read these papers and complete these assignments, then you'll be healed", rather than, "tell me about yourself and let's tailor something to you". Cold, impersonal and stern, often to the point of being militant. Thankfully my son went into Nova with his head on mostly straight and was able to ride it out or it would have been a disaster. Not what we had hoped for him at all.

A great educational, supportive asset to society. Definitely focused on addicts serious about getting sober and collecting sources to continue living an alcohol and drug free life.

Horrible experience here. You spend about 1 hour a day working towards recovery - the rest is spent viewing videos from the 70's, listening to the same lecture over and over, or maintaining their facility. The counselors do not care about patients and spend little to no time with them. You'll see your counselor at meal time though - they never miss a meal. Staff act like prison guards - miserable. SO DIRTY- rooms and bathrooms are 100% maintained by patients. Expect filth. If you care about recovery, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE.

Nik- Thank you for taking the time to review our facility. We take great pride in all aspects of our treatment program and facility. Please contact us directly to further discuss your experience so we can address your concerns. Sincerely, Nova Counseling

Some of the staff members were incredible and did a great job helping family members understand addiction. And I'm not sure what exactly occurred, but my 20 year old son went from not wanting to be there to being nostalgic for the place and wanting to stop by to visit and attend alumni events. My son's primary counselor didn't communicate with us well. We'd wait days for a return call. Near the end of his in-patient stay we had a family meeting to discuss after care and we were told we'd be contacted a few days later about options; but I just got a call from my son to come get him on his last day and the name of the sober living house in Milwaukee he was going to. No one met me when I got there. There was no check-out procedure. No talk of other possible places for him to go. My son is an atheist, and we struggle to find treatment programs that don't focus heavily on religion. But Nova was a life-saving experience for my son that was more affordable than some we'd considered, and it was in our city so it was convenient.

Great price. They set you up with treatment when you leave. If you're serious about treatment this place will help you.

Excellent program....gave me excellent tools..really enjoyed learning more about the brain of an addict and how it can relapse.

Great family involvement and after care. Very effective treatment for my loved one. Has been sober for 6 months since leaving.

They have wonderful counseling options and family participation; however, they need better holistic offerings.

They have a strict regimen, everyone does work around the facility. My brother came out of the program sober and seemed impressed with the facility and staff.

They have a great program that reaches every person in every age group. Majority of staff is well trained and has the ability to deal with any type of situation. They have a high turnout rate, but they need more family interaction with residents.

He was there 2 separate times; the last time finally "clicked". Good results; didn't cost a FORTUNE.

Excellent staff

Nova is one of the best facilities in the Midwest. I highly recommend it to anyone serious about recovery. I continue to be involved with them.

For me it was the best experience of my life. The facility was a first step focused facility. At first I thought it was really strict, but as I spent more time I understood why. Any cost would have been worth it! Saved my life.

After care consisted of a 90 day half way house.

Very thorough addressing all aspects of alcoholism. My relapse was a one time slip and I was able to go to my home group and tell them right away

Awesome place!

Wonderful facility with very dedicated staff.

Best Drug Rehabilitation
  • Exercise Therapy
  • Anger Management
  • Financial Planning Classes
Behavioral Rehabilitation Services
  • All inclusive, executive, luxury rehab facility.
  • Vitamins, Minerals and Amino Therapy