Oregon Trail Recovery in Milwaukie, OR

10600 SE McLoughlin Blvd Suite 207
Milwaukie OR 97222

Oregon Trail Recovery Philosophy

Helping individuals apply what they have learned in a residential facility to everyday life and striving everyday to be their last treatment experience.

• Client & Family Support Groups
    Group therapy is a vital component of addiction recovery treatment, considered as important and effective (sometimes even more so) than individual therapy. Benefits include reducing isolation and loneliness and providing the opportunity to learn from others in recovery. In the addiction setting, group therapy is run by trained professionals who guide participants toward a shared goal of recovery.

• Equine Therapy
    A form of animal therapy, equine therapy involves visiting, working with and sometimes riding horses as a way to create a metaphoric relationship that leads to life-altering insights.

Beautiful, Pacific Northwest

Bridging the Gap Between Treatment and Everyday Life

Benjamin Randolph, MS, CADC III, CIP, CTT, CAI

CEO

Photo of Benjamin Randolph, MS, CADC III, CIP, CTT, CAI

Ben entered recovery in 1998 after relapsing for several years. Not wanting to continue in the construction trades, he went to school and earned his Master’s of Science. Ben has a passion for recovery and institutes recovery principles in all his affairs, including Oregon Trail Recovery. Ben has worked in methadone, residential, outpatient, and was Director of Chemical Dependency at a 78 bed psychiatric hospital where he oversaw a 22 bed unit. Ben has been conducting interventions the last ten years and is passionate about helping people get and stay clean and sober.

Jennifer Randolph

CAI, CIP, CTT, BR II, CADC I. – Chief Operating Officer

Jennifer’s addiction to drugs and alcohol started in high school. Without her personal experience with addiction, she would not be where she is today with over 15 years sober. As the COO of Oregon Trail Recovery, Jennifer and her husband Ben turned their dream of helping others get sober into a reality. Jennifer not only brings personal experience with addiction to the table, but she has worked very hard to achieve many nationally recognized certifications. Jennifer is a Certified ARISE Interventionist (CAI), Certified Intervention Professional (CIP), Board Registered Interventionist (BRI II), Certified Trauma Professional (CTP) and a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC I). Her scope of practice is useful in all stages of recovery, helping those she works with get sober and STAY sober.

ABOUT OREGON TRAIL RECOVERY

Located seven miles south of Portland, Ore., in the small city of Milwaukie, Oregon Trail Recovery offers a long-term intensive outpatient program (IOP), as well as sober living facilities for men and women who have already passed through a residential treatment program. Clinical detox is also provided if necessary.

Clients must call for a phone assessment in order to be admitted to treatment. Programs are available in durations of three, six, and nine months, making it one of Oregon’s 33 long-term residential, non-hospital treatment programs. During treatment, clients stay in gender-specific housing and participate in gender-specific programming.

At the beginning of treatment, all residents participate in a partial hospitalization program (PHP). All clients are required to find work, study opportunities, or volunteer work during their stay. Once they’ve secured work, they step down to participate in five evening groups per week.

Clients attend six to 10 hours per week of group therapy and one hour or more a week of individual therapy. As they progress through treatment, clients gradually step-down to less intensive levels of care, with some ultimately participating in one weekly group session and one weekly individual session.

Oregon Trail Recovery is a 12-step-based facility, and all clients are required to actively work with a sponsor and attend 12-step meetings throughout treatment. The 12-step program is used in 73 percent of treatment facilities in the U.S..

Alongside 12-Step participation, the program uses evidence-based therapies, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), mindfulness training, and Seeking Safety. The center also prides itself on offering wilderness and adventure therapies and excursions, as well as holistic options such as art therapy and Native American spiritual ceremonies.

Oregon Trail Recovery’s program relies heavily on education options to teach residents life skills to support their recovery. Education assistance is also available. Those who wish to transition to the facility's sober living facility must apply. Here, clients use the skills they practiced in treatment and learn how to work together as a household.

Assistance with additional relapse prevention and aftercare placement is discussed during one-on-one sessions. Clients are encouraged to participate in community groups after treatment as a means of continuing recovery with community support.

A medical director comes to the site twice per week, and the team also includes master’s level therapists and counselors. It is a part of the 29 percent of U.S. facilities that are accredited by the Joint Commission.

Oregon Trail Recovery offers up to 50 beds, with some private rooms available. The cost of treatment includes food, access to laundry services, bus passes, and any excursions the group takes. During their stay, clients are expected to work or go to school, as well as contribute to home maintenance and upkeep.

At the time of this writing, 12 alumni provided feedback about their experience at Oregon Trail Recovery. Nine of the reviews were positive, three of the reviews are negative. Alumni generally provided positive feedback about the “attentive” and “supportive” staff and that the environment helped them to feel safe. However, one alum noted how they felt the staff was “underqualified.”

On Google, Oregon Trail Recovery earned an average rating of 4.9 out of five stars from 36 reviews to date.[1] Alumni provided positive feedback for the “team of dedicated professionals,” “comfortable community” accommodations, and “daily process groups.” Alumni generally indicated that the program was effective with education-based programs that taught coping skills. One alum, Keegan, specifically noted how they “made accommodations for my needs regarding me being a transman.”

On Facebook, where the facility can manage its page, Oregon Trail Recovery earned an average of 4.8 out of five stars from 22 reviews, at the time of this writing.[2] Alumni once again provided positive feedback about the staff they perceive to be willing to “go beyond normal lengths” to help clients succeed.

At the time of this writing, five loved ones provided feedback about their experience at Oregon Trail Recovery. Three loved ones gave positive reviews, while two gave negative reviews. The positive feedback centered around the “care and respect” from the staff members and the taught “skills to get where needed.”

In terms of negative feedback, loved ones expressed disappointment with the billing practices and the treatment of women compared to men. “My daughter was there 3 months and did very well,” Tom wrote, but went on to claim that his daughter would likely have to file for bankruptcy owing to what he described as dishonest billing practices. And J.Y. echoed alum S.B. by citing poor treatment of female clients. “I did not like the... staff, medical director unqualified... Treat patients like inmates. Put them on the streets with no warning,” J.Y. added.

The single staffer polled by Rehabs.com to date gave very positive feedback. “I work for OTR and was the second client I am over three years sober because of this treatment center,” C.B. wrote, giving the center five out of five stars for the overall effectiveness of its treatment. The staff member indicated that having graduates work there was a strength of the facility.

Treatment costs $5,200 for a month, or $15,600 for 90 days. The center is one of Oregon’s 136 facilities that accept state insurance options like PacificSource Health Plans. It also accepts private insurance on an out-of-network basis, as well as self-payment. In addition, Oregon Trail Recovery offers financial assistance covering up to 100 percent of the cost of treatment.

CONCLUSION

Oregon Trail Recovery maintains its presence in the community by posting regularly on its Facebook page with images of treatment processes and the facility's amenities.

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/oregontrailrecoveryllc/reviews/

Published on December 2018

My mother was treated very well. Loving and helpful staff. Lacks some tools that would be helpful.

I have been working at OTR now for a month. I can tell you straight up that the people that work here are the salt of the earth...the owners are so dedicated to their clients, they personally meet with them, etching time out of their very busy day of running the agency and raising a young family as well. The whole staff is dedicated to giving the clients the very best of care. I feel very blessed to be a part of OTR!

I was doing some research on trying to find a good detox center for a loved one, but after reading the responses from the staff at OTR to the client complaints I'll keep on looking. They're not only rude but some are down right inappropriate i feel, and yes OTR does seem not so female friendly. This is the impression I'm left with after knowing nothing of this plaveand only reading reviews, very unprofessional. Tsk tsk.

They submitted charges and we're paid by the insurance company for three dates for treatment for my daughter for dates AFTER the date she died. Then when the insurance company sent them THREE requests for that money back they had the nerve to send a bill to my daughter for those dates. I'd sure like to know how they provided rehab treatment for her on dates after she DIED. Cold, heartless and shady to do such a thing.

Once again I apologize for this happening. We have spoken on the phone with you about this, and have assured you that it was not intentional that we billed for those days. The process that we used to use for billing has changed since then, from utilizing a hybrid paper and electronic medical record system, to a fully integrated electronic medical record system that is updated daily. The system that we used to utilize was not working, and we began implementation of this new system beginning in September of 2017 to ensure that our billing process is not only more streamlined, but lacking errors that were present in the old system, including implementation of improved communication between us and our outside billing company. Despite all of this, we can't begin to tell you how sorry the entire Oregon Trail Recovery Team is for your loss.

Oregon Trail Recovery was by far the best treatment experience that I've had. I've been through previous treatment facilities in the past and am familiar with rehab programs. Before coming in here I was desperate for help and all out of options. OTR gives you all the support and tools to set up a solid foundation for recovery. The program provides enough structure and accountability to help you develop coping skills and experience getting back into the real world. The staff helped me with job searching, setting up appointments, getting to meetings, finding a sponsor, and developing a treatment plan that worked for me. I've met people in this program that I consider close friends now. I've found a better way of life and can account a lot of it to the people that i've met here in OTR and the staff that helped me along the way. I would recommend oregon trail recovery to anybody struggling with addiction and also wanting to transition into sober living or relocate to the portland area.

got what i needed out of this program. great bunch of guys. and the satff was great too.

OTR has been a wonderful asset in my recovery process. I have learned how to utilize tools and situational awareness to help with problematic situations that may arise in my future. It has been a great opportunity to relocate, establish support groups, make friends in a new city, and start fresh. Leaving this program i feel like the opportunities ahead of me are boundless and life is full of optimism.

Oregon Trail Recovery is a team of dedicated professionals that work in the Drug and Alcohol treatment field. I am writing this review from my experience being a client here, not once but twice. The staff at this company care about and support the clients who come here for treatment with empathy and compassion. There is also support when clients need help building resume's and learning to utilize public transit, promoting clients being able to reintegrate into the community as a functioning and supporting member of it. Clients are able to grow and learn about themselves in a safe environment, one in which the team holds themselves to the highest level of integrity and ethical care. Clients are also able to learn necessary life skills, such as, doing their own laundry, making their beds and keeping their rooms clean, and learning how to cook healthy meals for themselves. I would suggest this treatment facility to anyone.

The staff are attentive and supportive of client growth -- I felt emotionally, physically, and spiritually safe throughout my treatment which allowed me to do the intrapersonal work necessary for my recovery. I came into the program with little hope, lacking self-worth, and a seemingly insurmountable amount of shame and guilt but I am leaving the program with confidence, self-love, and a whole lot of empowerment!

The staff at Oregon Trail Recovery were able to be there every step of the way for me, and at the same time, were able to give me the courage to transition into a wondrous new way of life that I never thought possible. The most defining characteristic of this program is how much they stress a sense of community and fellowship ingrained in each clients program. The best way I was able to find this was by becoming involved in 12 step based recovery. I now have over a year clean, and never thought my life could be this good. Thank you, OTR.

Great program!

This place was not bad at all. Food provided, nice house managers , and as much as people complain about staff, their job is to protect everyone from harm. I was kicked out of O.T.R for violent behaviour towards other clients two days from graduation. I feel they were justified and at the time though i couldnt see this they gave me chance after chance im now 6 months clean and i owe it to otr for whipping me into shape. So yes send your loved ones here because not only will they get clean but they will learn the meaning of accountability the addicts number one reaction is to blame others but the common denominator in all situations our ourselfs. Thank you everyone. I owe you guys my life.

Oregon Trail Recovery literally saved my son's life!!!!! The incredible staff were able to reach him when other places had failed. The care and respect they gave my son, I am sure, helped him to pull through and to put his life back on tract. I will never be able to thank Oregon Trail Recovery enough!!!!!

Multiple rehabs, multiple jail trips, multiple angry outbursts and lies and hateful things said. I thought my kids weren't going to be able to have a relationship with their uncle, my older brother, because of his terrible. long winded drug addiction. OTR has been his home for the last year and he has done nothing but surpassed any expectation I had of him. The day he asked "What can I do to make it up to you" I told him to be there for my kids. I was able to tell him he was going to be an uncle later that same day. He is the picture of recovery and he has made so many friends and connections at OTR. He is now helping others like him who need his help and advice. He has said nothing but good things about OTR and we have never had to worry about him being away from family and in treatment. I have nothing but amazing things to say about OTR because they gave me my brother back. They gave him a purpose and the skills to get where he wanted to be. I could go on and on, my gratitude will never be enough. My family and I will always be thankful for Oregon Trail Recovery for what they have done for our family.

OTR is a great program that I can honestly say has aided me in staying sober. The longest I have ever had before this programs was 80 days. I now have over six months sober. OTR allows one to transition from residential treatment to everyday living. I have been to outpatients before but have never been successful. Every facility has its ups and downs. However, OTR works hard on correcting any flaws seen in the program which assists in providing a healthy sober living environment. I implore you to keep OTR in mind if you have the desire and WILLINGNESS to stay sober!

I want to thank OTR so much. Having my brother leave our hometown and travel to the west coast was extremely hard not only on myself but our family. He is my best friend and I would never want to see him fail at something he was so passionate about especially when it means getting sober. Ben was such a major part in that. He was in contact with my mother making sure we were ok with the treatment he was receiving. This made our family at ease knowing there is such caring people there taking care of their patients. My brother is now almost 4 years sober and I couldn't be more proud of the young man he has turned out to be. He was taught so many life skills and you can see that he carries those close to his heart.

Take patients to 12 step meetings. I did not like the... staff, medical director unqualified. Very discriminatory practices towards female patients No one I know in the recovery community would recommend this agency. Treat patients like inmates. Put them on the streets with no warning

Honestly, we have never had a client in the almost four years we've been open with the initials JY. We take clients to 12 step meetings in addition to their regular programming, ensuring they are getting a sponsor and working a program. We are transitional, meaning we help a client take what they learned in residential treatment and apply it to everyday life. We use day treatment and intensive outpatient to further help them reduce cravings, lower relapse risk, and increase drug and alcohol education. I am not speaking to the points on our doctor, because this obviously was written by somebody not familiar with our program. I think this was written by the sponsor of a former client who was upset when we discharged the client and blamed us when the client refused the discharge options we provided and instead proclaimed we put her on the street. This is a practice we do not do.

My daughter was there 3 months and did very well. When the counselor from the in patient facility called along with me and my daughter we were told with our insurance that we would only owe the initial $500 fee and they were fine with what our insurance would pay. Insurance paid about 32,000 for the three months. Now Oregon trails is saying the bill was 115,000 so after what the insurance paid we owe $83,000. Obviously she does not have $83,000 on her so she will probably have to file bankruptcy. Please be aware of this.

I work for OTR and was the second client I am over three years sober because of this treatment center. I never thought I could get sober and I choose to work here because we do the right things for the right reasons. I have shaken the hand of every client we have ever had and those that come here and remain open honest and teachable have found recovery. We staff the transitional living with graduates because it works and clients that follow a few simple rules and suggestions always do well. We have had so many great people come here and learn how to live life on life terms and are doing well drug and alcohol free.

As a graduate of this program I was addicted to Heroin, crack and Alcohol for over 10 years. If you are serious about finding how to do recovery in a safe environment this is a great place. They are zero tolerance and still take care of those after a relapse a lot of compassion and love I know the other who have reviewed this place because I was here when they were they didn't want to take recovery seriously and this center wants the group as a whole to be accountable some people in early recovery hate this and those clients do not last. OTR is a place that will give you the rope you can choose to pull yourself up but some choose not to.

This place is awful. The women are treated completely different from the men.

We operate separate men's and women's programs. How would you know one gender is treated differently than the other? I would hope you would see each client is treated differently, because we are individualized treatment program. While our rules are the same for everyone, each client has an individual treatment plan that is tailored to their specific needs.

No. Just no. I had to leave, along with many fellow clients. The people who run this place are power hungry, greedy, and micromanaging. It is not a good place to get clean. I was extremely unhappy with my stay here, and will NOT be recommending it to ANYONE.

I am sorry to see you had a bad experience. I am puzzled why you say you were micromanaged? Micromanage is typically words used by employees. We also have never had a mass discharge of clients due to clients leaving against medical advice, so I struggle to see the accuracy in your post. Could you clarify?