Pavillon in Mill Spring, NC

(4 of 5)
241 Pavillon Place
Mill Spring NC 28756

Pavillon Philosophy

Pavillon offers comprehensive treatment for alcoholism and drug addiction. The rehab combines clinical expertise with a holistic recovery approached designed to address the needs of the mind, body and spirit. A full continuum of care is offered, including residential, outpatient and extended care services, as well as a caring and supportive environment. With the help of a compassionate staff, clients are able to address the underlying issues and develop the healthy coping skills that are essential for a sustainable recovery.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Family Program

Relapse Prevention

Recovery Management

Anne Vance, CEO, FACHE

CEO

Ms. Vance has many years of experience working in both residential and out-patient settings. She has been a strong advocate for access to affordable care and eliminating the stigma associated with addiction. In 2003 she brought her years of experience and knowledge plus her vision on treating alcohol and drug addiction to Pavillon. Under her leadership, Pavillon has grown to become one of the leading alcohol and drug addiction centers that can assist clients from detox through to sober living and recovery housing. Prior to joining Pavillon, Ms. Vance was with the Betty Ford Center and EATA. In the mid-nineties Ms. Vance worked with Eric Clapton to build Crossroads and established the program for this center. She is a Fellow with the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) and is also a member of the American College of Addiction Treatment Administrators, and currently serves on the National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers (NAATP) Board of Directors.

John Roberts, MD, Board Certified in Psychiatry, Neurology, Addiction Medicine

Medical Director and Addiction Psychiatrist

Photo of John Roberts, MD, Board Certified in Psychiatry, Neurology, Addiction Medicine

Dr. Roberts is the Medical Director and Addiction Psychiatrist for Pavillon. He came to Pavillon with nearly 20 years of experience serving as an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina. While there, he was the attending psychiatrist for the inpatient dual diagnosis inpatient unit and was the director of the clinical outpatient division for the Center for Drugs and Alcohol Program. He received his doctor of medicine from Louisiana State University and completed his psychiatric residency as well as fellowships in substance abuse and anxiety disorders at the Medical University of South Carolina. Dr. Roberts is board certified in psychiatry and has lectured through out the Southeast on substance use and psychiatric disorders.

ABOUT PAVILLON IN MILL SPRING, NC

Pavillon, located in Mill Spring, N.C., offers residential and outpatient treatment to adults struggling with addiction. The private, non-profit facility was opened in 1996 and is located on 160 acres in the North Carolina mountains,

The facility’s treatment program follows a multidisciplinary 12-step approach. The admissions process begins with a call or email to the facility, followed by a mental health, substance abuse, and medical assessment. Pavillon offers several treatment programs including Primary Residential Treatment with an extended care option, Outpatient Treatment, and a Relapse Prevention Track. The facility also has specialized treatment programs for families and skilled professionals. Residential treatment lasts for a minimum of six weeks.

Throughout treatment, clients receive individual and group therapy as well as case management, medical monitoring, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and trauma therapy. Residential clients may receive medical detoxification when necessary. This facility offers unique treatments and therapy including equine therapy, yoga, meditation, and spiritual counseling. Families are included in treatment through a four-day family program that occurs every other week.

Pavillon has an alumni services department specifically tasked with providing aftercare resources to clients following completion of treatment. Alumni Services connects clients to other program alumni, recommends support groups, organizes service projects, and provides reading materials and additional treatment resources.

The leadership team at Pavillon includes two medical doctors who are board certified in addiction medicine, a licensed clinical addiction specialist/master addiction counselor, and a certified addictions registered nurse advance practice/licensed clinical addictions specialist.

The clinical and professional staff includes clinical psychologists (PhD), registered nurses, licensed substance use disorder counselors, licensed mental health counselors, health & wellness counselors, a spiritual care director, and continuing care case managers. The client to counselor ratio is 6:1.

The facility offers 74 beds in gender-specific housing for clients in a resort-like setting. Photos on the Pavillon website show shared rooms with balconies overlooking scenic views. The facility is equipped with a gym, lake, hiking trails, and volleyball courts.

At the time of this writing there have been seven alumni polled by Rehabs.com. Alumni had good things to say about Pavillon overall, but mentioned several areas for improvement. Five of the seven alumni said they would recommend the facility to a friend.

When asked about strengths of the facility, alumni expressed that the facility is clean and calm with beautiful grounds and excellent food. Several alumni said they felt cared for by the staff. When asked to comment on weaknesses, one alum mentioned that there is high staff turnover, another said he wanted more gym time, and a third commented that she felt like she was “in a looney bin” and she believes alcoholics should not be mixed with those suffering from psychiatric disorders. One alum added additional commentary, writing, “I loved my time at Pavilion. I felt that I was well taken care of and well loved while there. The staff genuinely cares about my well-being.”

At the time of this writing there have been two friends or family members of clients polled by Rehabs.com. Both reviewers expressed that their interactions with Pavillon had been positive, and said they would recommend the facility to others. The anonymous loved ones gave the Pavillon four and five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, five stars for accommodations and amenities, and five stars for meals and nutrition.

One reviewer agreed that the facility is adequately equipped and staffed to treat co-occurring mental health problems, and strongly agreed that facility staff are experienced and well-trained. She felt that a strength of the facility was that it is located in a “caring, peaceful, beautiful setting” far away from the city. When asked about weaknesses she said she preferred the previous owners but that Pavillon is still an “excellent facility.” The other loved one who was surveyed added additional commentary, saying, “Outstanding staff and facility.”

At the time of this writing there has been one former staff member polled by Rehabs.com. The staff member had negative things to say about Pavillon. She strongly disagreed that there are many counseling options to choose from, strongly disagreed that the facility is adequately equipped and staffed to treat co-occurring mental health problems, and strongly disagreed that facility staff are experienced and well-trained. She felt that strengths of the facility were that Pavillon is located in a beautiful setting and has several skilled counselors. When asked about weaknesses, she wrote, “Unqualified staff & management. Out-of-touch board.” She also added, “Overpriced for sub-standard treatment. Scant security in isolated environment.”

There is currently no information provided by the facility regarding its costs. However, Pavillon accepts insurance and states that 90 percent of clients are able to use their insurance towards the cost of treatment. The facility offers a financial assistance program for income eligible clients.

Published on November 2017

We put our 18 year old son in the "Young Men's Program" at Pavillon. He was never placed in the "Young Men's Program" nor was he enrolled in online school as promised. Instead, he was kept in the Primary Treatment Unit for almost 4 weeks with 40 to 71 year old men before being kicked out for "disruptive behavior". DO NOT SEND YOUR SON HERE. We are now putting him in a rehab for young men aged 16 to 29 in Connecticut.

The Pavillon provided me an environment that I could feel safe, learn, express myself, and heal. The staff is supportive and kind and the facility and grounds were peaceful. The tools I learned in dealing with life at the Pavillon were invaluable.

Please beware of this place....

Powerful and moving for any addiction. It made a huge difference in my life in uncovering and healing my patterns

This place has saved my life and also just made me a better person. First of all, the physical environment is absolutely beautiful. It is in the mountains/foothills, so there are lots of walking trails, a waterfall, a lake, and other beautiful scenery. More importantly, the staff geniunely care about thier patients. The counselors and most the people there are all in long-term recovery themselves. The food is excellent--especcially breakfast. They have a basic 42 day program, but the best parts of Pavillon are thier extended Care programs. In extended Care is where the groups become much more intensive, helping individuals work through inner issues and prevention of relapse. I have seen so much success from this center. The CEO personally meets every person before patients leave, and after care plans are emphasized heavily. Don't be fooled by some reviews who complain of the staff. The staff here are recovering addicts themselves, and so can spot BS from a mile away. The only people who don't like the staff here are people who do not want to accept professional advice. Give this place a tour. You will quickly fall in love with it.

First class!!!! Everyone was awesome!!!! Gotta buy in thougj😌

I went 10 years ago. I would describe it as five star facility with a high turnover ego driven staff. AA 12 step only with no tolerance for any other science based or alternative therapies. CEO has been their forever and it might help if their were new leadership. For the cost their are better places to send your loved ones than the pavilion.

Left treatment worse off than when I went. Communication amongst staff is horrible. Told by counselor one thing about length of stay. He later denied telling me that. Of course I,the patient miss heard what he really said. Staff at times did not show up to group. Other times were late. Miscomunication on length of stay especially with professionals. Staff's ego was too much. A note was documented on me for an "appointment" I did not have. I checked my medical records and found multiple errors that may cause even more harm. Mind games they play are damaging. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

I wouldn't go here again. I went to an equally intense facility after here (because months of pavillon left me far worse off than when I entered and reeling with emotional damage), so it was not the intensity I was turned off by, because the other facility was amazing!! If she still works there, avoid one specific woman like she's the black plague!! The mind games they play are insidious and for professionals obsessed with others shedding our own egos and identities, they sure are ego-driven people! It has been over 5 years and I felt compelled to write this as I am still dealing the negative consequences of the damage they did to my family so long after. I have been sober over 5 years, but after leaving here I was no closer to this at all. It took a place that focuses on compassion to wake me up, not a place that focuses on insults and tearing you down to build you back up. Please look up other places!!

My experience at Pavillion, 7 years ago, gave me a truly amazing life! I believe it to be the best treatment center in the country. I have many friends who attended other rehabs, non of which had the type of care that came close to my experience at Pavillion. They gave me the tools I needed, and still use today, to live a wonderful life on life's terms! Their alumni attention is also very strong.

Highly structured program; only complaint was not enough gym time; nearly all professional staff were sober; good foundation to reenter the world.

Beautiful setting. Perceived competence. Several skilled counselors. Unqualified staff & management. Out-of-touch board. Overpriced for sub-standard treatment. Scant security in isolated environment.

This was a wonderful facility in a beautiful location away from stresses of "normal" life. The people are kind and caring. A bit on the expensive side; more insurances should be accepted. My son did very well here. My daughter did well, but then fell back into old habits. That was her fault for not following through as she should have.

Caring, peaceful, beautiful setting, well away from city. Liked it better with previous owners, but still an excellent facility. Much better than the ones we tried in Florida. My son did very well here. My daughter felt it's programs were far superior to several facilities she went to in Florida. The people are all kind and caring.

Strengths: Country Club environment , with beauty full grounds, Fantastic food, CLEAN , calm. Weaknesses: High turnover of employees/counselors/administrators Treatment is based on a Negative approach of integrity, as opposed to positive reinforcement. Close minded on alternative theory. Be prepared to be stripped of all personal recognition with clothing / articles / even Spiritual connection. Men and women are NOT allowed to interact , yet stand in food lines together, 'Recognition of Self' , and politeness to others is forbidden, yes Forbidden . [ simple 'hello' or 'holding a door open' ] type behavior between sex'es earned demerits. I feel association is part of Healthy Growth interacting

Went to a local detox. Relapsed the next day.

Accommodations, Counselors, and Food were all first class. I personally went through the program as an Alcoholic, I was detoxed and then put into primary care. Bottom line Pavillon saved my life!

My rich ex husband went to this $18,000 a month rehab for sex and drug addiction. They assured me back in Texas that they were going to "put my family back together", instead, they did not tell ME when the REHAB GRADUATION even was, instead my ex had his very young girlfriend fly up for the graduation, not me. This was OKAY obviously and, of course, when I found out about it I was and still am very angry. You go there and just write all your gripes and hurts, then burn them in some big meaningless ceremony. My ex thought it was grand and built them a gazebo.

The accomodations were nice, food was delicious, but the staff had much to be desired. Very few took a personal interest in your recovery, and once you left, they wanted nothing to do with you. There was no support after your stay. I was very disappointed.

Exceptional facility and services. Don't be fooled by many of the spa-like amenities — this is a place rooted in the 12 Steps and is completely focused on recovery of the individual while operating in a warm and welcoming environment.

The Pavilon has extensive experience in treatment options geared specifically to the individual. The on going program and efficacy are excellent, their aftercare and treatment options are designed to reach a wide variety of ages, socio-economic, psychological and addictive behaviors in an amazing setting. It saved my life, it was a success, I learned what my problem really was, and I was given the tools to commence my recovery.

Outstanding staff and facility.

I don't think an alcoholic needs to be locked in, I think we should at least have TV's in our room...Felt like it was more of a place for psych patients.

Would recommend this place.

No price for life!