Penfield Christian Homes in Union Point, GA

1061 Mercer Circle
Union Point GA 30669

Penfield Christian Homes Philosophy

For more than 30 years, Penfield Christian Homes has offered hope to men and women suffering from the disease of addiction. The faith-based rehab believes that recovery is possible through spiritual renewal and strives to help clients reclaim their health, happiness and inner peace. Treatment addresses the whole person — body, mind and spirit — and helps clients bring these areas into balance by cultivating a personal relationship with God.

• Individual Therapy
    This term describes one-on-one therapy, in which a patient and trained counselor, social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist meets privately with a patient to discuss challenges related to lifestyle, work, family and romantic relationships that may have contributed to the development of an addiction.

• Client & Family Support Groups

We teach the Biblical Doctrine of God’s Grace and Love.

We teach the nature of relapse and recovery through Relapse Prevention Counseling.

We teach the medical aspects of addiction.

Bryant Miller CAC II,MAC, ICCDP-D,BCCC

Program Director

Bryant earned his Masters in 1988 at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, and has been active in the field of addiction since 1989. He came to Penfield as Program Director in April 1995. He has state and national credentials as an addiction counselor and as a Board Certified Christian Counselor. Bryant is active in the alcohol and drug abuse organizations in Georgia and received several awards for his service. He has also served as a Georgia Baptist Pastor.

Bill King, D.Min, CAC II, CCS, MAC

Campus Director, Main Campus

Bill has a B.S. degree from The University of Tennessee and a M. Div. from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He received a Doctor of Ministry degree from Erskine Theological Seminary with emphasis on addiction studies. Bill has state and national credentials as an addiction counselor (CAC II, MAC, CCS). He has been working in the field of addiction for the past nine years at Penfield. Bill is also the pastor of The River of Life church in Eatonton, GA.

ABOUT PENFIELD CHRISTIAN HOMES — UNION POINT, GEORGIA

Founded in 1979, Penfield Christian Homes operates three residential treatment facilities dotted throughout Georgia, two for men and one for women. The Union Point facility, located on 33 acres in a leafy area just outside the Oconee National Forest in northeastern Georgia, is the main campus, offering faith-based residential treatment for men. Medical detox is not available on-site, but Penfield can provide referrals to detox facilities.

Penfield accepts clients who are on probation or who have been court mandated. The organization allows clients to take some, but not all, prescription medications during their stay — prospective clients should contact the facility for more information about possible conflicts with their prescribed medications.

Intake appointments are scheduled on weekdays only. All clients must be medically cleared by a nurse before admission, and clients must also provide a statement from a medical provider indicating that medical detox is not required.

The program lasts six weeks and uses the 12-Steps along with Christian programs based on the 12-Steps: Overcomers Outreach and Celebrate Recovery. Treatment approaches addiction through three channels: counseling, spirituality, and education. According to the facility’s website, Penfield was founded on the belief that “recovery from the addictive use of alcohol and drugs can be achieved through a personal faith in Jesus Christ,” and clients are expected to attend church services throughout treatment.

Aside from 12-Step and related fellowships, the building blocks of the program are individual and group counseling, Bible study and devotions, alcohol and drug education, relapse prevention, and spiritual guidance. Penfield also runs family education days.

The program also offers recreational activities that help show clients how to have fun without intoxicating substances — though it does not specify what these activities are.

Four alumni groups dotted around the state allow former clients to remain in touch with a sober network.

Staff includes a social worker, certified addiction counselors, and pastors. Each of the three individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the level of support received from staff gave the center four or five out of five stars in this category, and the single individual polled on the staff’s level of training and experience gave it five out of five stars.

Clients may not receive visitors for the first 14 days of treatment. After 14 days, authorized family members may visit on weekend afternoons.

The center — whose decor is somewhat clinical — has a table-tennis table, a volleyball court, and an indoor basketball court, and is surrounded by green space. Clients share bedrooms and eat in a canteen-style dining room.

Of the five reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, four were mostly positive and the fifth was negative. That single negative review, from Ryan, described poor food in insufficient portions — though fellow alum B.R. praised the center’s food. In the remaining reviews, alumni repeatedly praised the program’s faith basis and the counselors, and two alumni wrote that Penfield had saved their lives. “Penfield saved my life. It allowed me to have a personal relationship with God and learn how to forgive myself for my transgressions,” Jay wrote in a representative review. More than one reviewer wrote that though the physical facility was not luxurious, they would recommend treatment at Penfield anyway.

Of the six reviews by loved ones submitted to Rehabs.com to date, three were positive, two were negative, and one was neutral. Feedback from the positive reviewers was mostly quite vague, stating that treatment had been successful for the individual’s loved one. “My son checked in to this rehab & it helped him so much... I would definitely recommend the Main Campus because they seem to know what they're doing & you can feel the spirit as soon as you walk in the front door,” S.P. wrote in a representative review. However, S.P. also described being disappointed by Penfield’s halfway house, and other reviewers cited rude intake staff and a loved one who relapsed while out on a day pass.

Penfield does not accept insurance.

Updated December 2016

Published on December 2016

A place of refuge. The fear of going back here, and lots of AA keeps me sober.

I had a wonderful experience with my son at Penfield. It really helped getting him connected back to his spirituality. Wonderful program. And thank goodness it's way out in the boonies. Best place he could have participated in a drug rehab program. Thankful to several members of staff. You'll always.be in my prayers

Will meet some really good people at pennfield. The staff is really helpful and always ready to help in your needs.The main campus counselors and staff will always be remembered. 2-09 and I still think of them.

Thank you for your response. We are excited for you and your future. God bless

Penfield saved my life! I was very impressed with how clinically sound staff Penfield is. They really cared about me and helping me change.

God is Great! Remember that you ARE really somebody! God bless

My son checked in to this rehab & it helped him so much. The Main Campus is where it's at though. He learned a lot & made friends along the way. However, he tried the half way house in Lafayette, GA & it was a joke & complete waste of money. They talked it up & it was like daylight to dark after being at the Main Campus. They really need to shut it down because it's useless. I would definitely recommend the Main Campus because they seem to know what they're doing & you can feel the spirit as soon as you walk in the front door.

We are thankful to you for sharing your time to review Penfield. We are both excited that your son had a wonderful experience at the Main Campus and saddened that his experience was less than so at the Transitional Facility. God bless

Hello, I attended the Penfield Christian Home in November of 2011 South Campus. I was very reluctant to attend any rehab center because I thought that I could handle my addiction on my own. My addiction was unmanageable and I was close to death. The center is faith based and in my opinion that's where your strength comes from. I will admit that being sober takes alot of work but trust me it's worth it. The food was good but I wasn't there to fill my stomach, I was there to fill my soul. The counselor's were great and I am almost five years clean and sober. Thanks Penfield

Thank you for sharing! PTL

I hesitate to say negative things about any Christian organization, but our experience here was terrible. Money seems to be the motivation with them and I have personally heard them speak in a terribly derogatory manner to a family member trying to get admitted. He was told that since he could not pay $5000 up front that he should go from church to church begging until he had the money. I am sure that they have helped some people, but the way that representative spoke to someone in need was neither Christian nor professional. Unless this is your last option, I would suggest looking elsewhere. Hebron Colony in Boone NC charges at flat $300 medical deposit for a 12 week program.

I would like to clarify the statement about finances. The program fee is not $5000.00 but only $3490.00 for a 6 week licensed residential treatment program with professionally certified staff. We are able to offer this low cost because of our many supporters who have helped us for over 30 years. We do work with those who are unable to pay the full fee up front.

My nephew completed the program there in 2009. He has been on a job for 5 years now and is moving up the ladder in his company. Has purchased 2 vehicles with cash he has saved. He is living frugally and is paying bills responsibly on his own. He seems content though not social at all- maybe afraid to have outside influences. That seems to be his only issue! Thank you Penfield!!!!

Thank you for sharing. We are excited to hear that your nephew is doing well. God bless.

He did very well until he was allowed weekend passes. He showed up at the facility intoxicated. Penfield shipped him to another facility from which he left of his own accord. They did not report to his probation officer that he had come back intoxicated. They only said that he needed further treatment elsewhere. He got off the hook and his probation officer was non the wiser. Now he is back on the alcohol with no remorse or intentions to be sober.

My son asked me to review your center. He has been in many rehab centers and his dad and I have told him, we feel a long term treatment center faith based is what he needs. We are active in alanon and know what we want and he wants, may be totally different and unless he's willing, none will work. What is your take on a 6 week program? I agree, without the Lord, nothing will work. Many Thanks, Paula.

Paula, Penfield is unique in many ways. One way is our six-week program. For many individuals, this time frame works very well. In the event that someone needs longer term treatment, our qualified staff can, and will, assist clients with long-term individualized treatment plans based solely on the needs of the person. God bless

Penfield saved my life. It allowed me to have a personal relationship with God and learn how to forgive myself for my transgressions. Mainly to be be free from addiction and live a successful life again without any drugs or alcohol. I truly feel God removed the addiction that I had learned to live with because I thought that was the only way I could not feel the pain of life's reality. I have been clean and sober now for over five years. Thank you Penfield.

It saved my life. Main campus. Nothing fancy, but for those looking to get clean, discover a real relationship with God, and exit with the tools necessary to stay clean and sober, you will not find a better place. The counselors are gifted and caring. The program is focused and deliberate. Spiritual, Jesus centered foundation. Deep bonds develop between those in the community. Met and exceeded anything I could have hoped for. Just for today, I sit clean and sober with real hope for a lifetime.

Thank you for sharing. We are continuing to pray for your ongoing success. God bless

Isn't luxurious like most rehabs but I would recommend it.

Thank you for the wonderful review.

the food needed to be better. the patients take turns working in the kitchen and cooking the meals. we once had the same chili for 5 meals in a row.. Also, the portion size was sometimes lacking leaving you still hungry when going to bed.

Sorry Ryan had a bad experience. Obviously the other reviews had a great experience.

Seemed to really help my friend get clean.

Thank you for the kind review. We are praying that the Lord continues to move, in a powerful way, in your friends life. God bless.

Good place to learn how to stay clean.

Thank you for taking the time to review our program. God bless

Mt Sinai Wellness Center
  • Equine therapy
  • Harvard-trained psychiatrist
  • Two round-the-clock chefs
Bluff Plantation
  • Highly successful, evidence-based treatment program
  • Multidisciplinary team of physicians, clinicians, psychiatrists and thearpists
  • Incorporates the Malibu Beach Recovery Diet which boosts dopamine levels