Penn Foundation, Inc.

807 Lawn Avenue, Sellersville, Pennsylvania, 18960

3.3

About the Facility

The Penn Foundation’s Behavioral Health Services Recovery Center provides inpatient and outpatient substance abuse rehabilitation services to adults struggling with addiction. The Penn Foundation specializes in the treatment of co-occurring psychiatric and substance abuse disorders, offering exceptional support for individuals struggling with anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and more. Therapeutic services provided include individual, group, and family counseling, family programming, and holistic recreational activities such as yoga, volleyball, and aerobics. Medically supervised inpatient detoxification is provided as needed.

Outpatient

Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.

Individualized Treatment

Some facilities have an addiction treatment protocol that all patients or clients are expected to follow, while others customize or individualize treatment based on a person’s unique needs and circumstances. Factors that may affect treatment decisions include age, lifestyle, medical conditions, type of drug, religious beliefs, etc.

• Recreational Activities

Christopher Squillaro, DO

Medical Director

Show Bio

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT PENN FOUNDATION, INC.

Located in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia, Penn Foundation provides treatment and support for children, adolescents, and adults struggling with mental health disorders, substance misuse, and/or intellectual disability. The center is among the 56.6 percent of Pennsylvania-based rehabs that operate as private nonprofits.

Penn Foundation's substance misuse services consist of medical detox, inpatient treatment, and several intensities of outpatient care, as well as intervention services. The center is particularly known for its dual diagnosis programming. Priority treatment is given to pregnant women.

Penn Foundation is founded on the belief that family plays an important role in treatment, and also highly recommends that its substance misuse clients participate in 12-step meetings.

During detox, if necessary, clients reside on a dedicated detox unit that's under constant medical supervision, where they receive medical care as well as treatment for any co-occurring mental health disorders, such as anxiety, depression, or bipolar disorder. Residential care is designed for adults and consists of individual, group, and family counseling. Family education, along with recreational activities such as yoga, volleyball, and aerobics, are also including in residential programming.

Outpatient care uses the same treatment modalities as the residential program, and aims to foster long-term lifestyle changes. Treatment is offered at a variety of intensities, including a partial hospitalization program (PHP), which is offered at 15.1 percent of Pennsylvania-based rehabs. The facility also offers an intensive outpatient program (IOP), which is available at 51 percent of Pennsylvania rehabs. The PHP requires attendance for 30 hours a week, on weekdays, and the IOP meets for up to nine hours a week, in the morning, afternoon, or evening.

For the families of non-clients who want to talk and strategize over a loved one's substance use, family consultations are available. There's also a free family education program available every Sunday. Children (ages nine to 12) who live in the presence of addiction are eligible to enroll in a free, overnight weekend camp called Camp Mariposa. The camp is an opportunity to learn self-care techniques and how to solve problems effectively, all while being able to share their experiences in a safe space.

Staff at Penn Foundation includes psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, LMFT counselors, social workers, and non-clinical workers. A chaplain is available, too, to provide spiritual advice. The eight individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff gave mostly positive feedback:

Staff Experience and Training: 3.9/5

Penn Foundation's center has 16 detox beds and 39 residential beds. Pictures published on the facility’s website indicated simple, office-like decor, with a dining area and a common area with armchairs. Amenities include yoga sessions and smoking cessation classes.

The eight individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center's amenities painted a picture of a clean facility with adequate leisure activities:

Cleanliness: 4.5/5
Exercise and Leisure: 3.6/5

Of the 11 alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date, two gave negative feedback and nine gave positive reports. The seven individuals polled on the facility's performance in a variety of metrics indicated that they would recommend the center and that it offered good family programming.

Would Recommend: 5/5
Family Participation: 4.3/5

But that treatment options were otherwise a little bare-bones:

Counseling Options: 3.6/5
Holistic Offerings: 3.1/5

There was little overlap between the commentary of the two negative reviewers. Cat reported that treatment didn't work for them, and B.K. felt that they were ripped off. In otherwise positive reviews, other alumni offered isolated complaints of small meals, a lack of holistic programming (which is borne out by the ratings for the center's holistic offerings), and a lack of time to rest.

Positive reviewers repeatedly praised the center's intimate size, friendly and caring staff, and ability to help them achieve long-term sobriety. Isolated praise also cited the center's treatment for co-occurring disorders and aftercare planning. "Overall, great facility. Smaller population compared to other facilities I've been to in the Philadelphia region. Very clean, awesome staff," E.W. wrote in a representative comment.

Secondary sites yielded mixed feedback at the time of this writing, with a 2.7 out of five-star average rating based on 40 reviews on Google, a 2.5-star average rating based on five reviews on Yelp, a 4.1-star average rating based on 55 reviews on Facebook (where the facility can manage its own page), and a single one-star rating on Yelp.[1] [2] [3] [4]

Though numerous clients praised the facility's staff and helpful programming, there were also repeated complaints of unhelpful and even rude staff, as well as administrative problems, such as trouble getting in contact with the center and getting staff to return calls. "You may want to seriously consider going elsewhere for help.All they do here is send you in circles, in the end leaving you with little to no real solutions or help," Lisa wrote in a representative comment on Google.

All four of the loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date gave negative feedback. The single reviewer polled on Penn Foundation's performance in a variety of metrics gave the center four stars for its family participation, counseling options, and ability to treat co-occurring disorders, but indicated that they would not recommend the facility, citing uncaring staff. “80% of employees don’t care they treat addicted people with no respect what so ever," L.M. wrote.

All three of the other reviewers described difficulty getting proper care and diagnoses for their loved ones who were struggling with mental health disorders, rather than substance misuse.

The single staffer polled by Rehabs.com to date would not recommend Penn Foundation. Though staffer B.B. gave the center five stars for its honesty and its willingness to put clients’ interests first, they indicated that they had some concerns about the quality of the center’s care — upon which they did not elaborate. “Better facilities exsist,” they wrote.

Penn Foundation accepts Medicare and Medicaid as well as private insurance. The eight individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center's affordability gave mostly positive feedback:

Affordability: 3.9/5

[2] https://www.yelp.com/biz/penn-foundation-sellersville-2?osq=Penn+Foundation
[3] https://www.facebook.com/pg/pennfoundation.org/reviews/?ref=page_internal
[4] https://citehealth.com/rehab-centers/pennsylvania/cities/sellersville/penn-foundation-inc#reviews

Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

3.3/5
    3.2/5
    3.2/5
    3.6/5

• DM
    The doctors are rude and uncaring. They are totally desensitized to the clients and their families.
  • JS
    We came to Penn Foundation to seek mental health services for my 25 yr old son that we believe has ADHD and Personality Distorder. This is why we came, to get another opinion as another said he has Bipolar & Schizophrenea. Although the Psychiatrist was excellent, the clinical director is horrible. During initial consultation, they asked my son if he used drugs or alchohol. He does not drink at all and used Marijuanna for recreational use occasional. They would not allow him to seek mental health treatment unless he entered the Drug & Alchohol progam and they will not prescribe Medications used for ADHD. We will seek assistance else where where they will provide professional testing, psychological and psychiatric evaluation, therapy and the correct medication.
  • Joe
    Good place. If you put the work in, it’s worth the stay. They helped me a lot.
  • ACN
    Penn Foundation is so disappointing. Parading around as a upscale mental health facility that cares to only find out it is all about filling their pockets. I took my daughter to Dr. who diagnosed her but then refused to work with the school and pharmacy and wouldn't return my calls. When we had a follow up today, her and her administrator took no responsibility for all the mistakes. It's amazing - if you are a drug addict who chose to have a problem people throw money and help your way but when someone has a real problem like depression or anxiety they don't want any part of it because they can't make money off of it. We wonder why there is so much suicide and school shootings - maybe if the doctors were held responsible, maybe those people could get the help they need too.
  • CJ
    I was scheduled there for an evaluation for my child for ADD/ADHD. We showed up for our appointment 30 minutes early to fill out paperwork, but there was no paperwork- so we sat. We went back and the doctor informed us that he was leaving in 5 weeks and that 3 of those weeks he would be on vacation because he "hasn't had a vacation in 2 years". We would not see him again after today and he would not be the doctor following up with us if we had issues. I was not told he was leaving or given the option to wait for his replacement. Since my child is not in crisis- we could have waited for a permanent doctor. He did not spend much time with us (just under an hour) and only about 20 minutes with my child. No way to get to know my child at all. He also said he could not use any of the school paperwork or evaluations and gave me even more forms for the school. Finally he said he could not make a diagnosis, would not prescribe any ADD/ADHD medication (we were referred by a therapist and my child's school for ADD/ADHD) because once again, he was done in 5 weeks and couldn't follow up with us. Told us to get an EKG in case the next provider that took over wanted to prescribe meds and then mentioned two other issues my child "might" have with no real help or diagnosis. Complete waste of my vacation day, complete was of my child's time away from school. Clearly the doctor himself was burnt out and used up by this poorly run facility. What kind of mental health facility doesn't take in to account the mental health and exhaustion of their own mental health providers???? This is a clear example of a disorganized, negligent, and inferior mental health facility management and directorship. Children and families need consistency and communication and they are clearly incapable of meeting anyone's needs. I feel like they took my copay, billed my insurance, did nothing and sent us on our way. NEVER GO HERE!!! Don't take yourself or your family here!! By the way I have left a message for the director with my concerns/complaint and have been IGNORED.
  • Cat
    I really wanted help! I left without being \" rehabilitated \" as they say! 🤔
  • EW
    Overall, great facility. Smaller population compared to other facilities I\'ve been to in the Philadelphia region. Very clean, awesome staff. Set me up with aftercare at Good Friends Inc. (halfway house), which my state funded insurance covered for 90 days. Played a part in saving my life. I\'d recommend it to anyone. I\'ve been clean for 9 months. I would love to go back there to thank the staff. My only two complaints: [1]Some meals (not all meals) are the size of a McDonald\'s Kid\'s Meal. [2]Crazy amount of groups and lectures in the daily schedule which resulted in not enough time to rest.
  • LM
    I believe there trying to do the best .80% of employees don't care they treat addicted people with no respect what so ever and before they are ready to help those I'll people they need to learn on how to do their job and how to talk to people with respect.addict or not .somebody needs to check their records. They need help before they attempt to help addicted people
  • B B
    Better facilities exsist
  • Gina
    Caring employees, clean facility and good food. Clients are there sometimes unwillingly and are bad influences to others. Nice facility, comfortable and helpful. I've been clean for over a year.
  • BK
    Penn foundation seller ville is a rip along with the Dr. Two staff members don\'t care issue mess that don\'t work and bill ins. The director is a scammer . This is the first time I refused payment, A complaint against the director and staff 2015 local congressman\'s office.
  • Jenny
    Always someone to talk to. If I was to go back I would only like to go back to this one they are very kind and friendly
    Good People, Made it easy to get off my addiction
    Good program needs better holistic offering
    Small facility, personalized care. Dual-Diagnosis facility, with DRA meeting nearby. I would recommend this facility to anyone, particularly to someone with co-occurring disorder(s).
    Got me through a very rough time. A few people in the staff were hard to get along with. I m glad I went there and will never forget my experience
  • Clarisa
    Therapists, employees, well maintained. Men and women are to close.I think penn foundation was a great facility. They were strict but it was a good thing.

Nearby cities with more treatment facilities: