Penn Foundation, Inc. in Sellersville, PA

807 Lawn Avenue
Sellersville PA 18960

Penn Foundation, Inc. Philosophy

The Penn Foundation’s Behavioral Health Services Recovery Center provides inpatient and outpatient substance abuse rehabilitation services to adults struggling with addiction. The Penn Foundation specializes in the treatment of co-occurring psychiatric and substance abuse disorders, offering exceptional support for individuals struggling with anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and more. Therapeutic services provided include individual, group, and family counseling, family programming, and holistic recreational activities such as yoga, volleyball, and aerobics. Medically supervised inpatient detoxification is provided as needed.

• Outpatient
    Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.

• Individualized Treatment
    Some facilities have an addiction treatment protocol that all patients or clients are expected to follow, while others customize or individualize treatment based on a person’s unique needs and circumstances. Factors that may affect treatment decisions include age, lifestyle, medical conditions, type of drug, religious beliefs, etc.

Recreational Activities

Individual Counseling

Yoga

Wayne A. Mugrauer, MPA

President & Chief Executive Officer

Christopher Squillaro, DO

Medical Director

ABOUT PENN FOUNDATION, INC.

Located in rural Pennsylvania, 40 miles north of Philadelphia, Penn Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that provides mental health, substance abuse, and intellectual disability treatment and support for children, adolescents, and adults. The center’s substance abuse treatment consists of detox, inpatient treatment, and outpatient care, as well as intervention services; the center is particularly known for its dual diagnosis programming. Priority treatment is given to pregnant women.

Penn Foundation is guided by the fundamental belief that family plays an important role in treatment. The Penn Foundation also highly recommends that its substance abuse clients participate in 12-step meetings.

During detox, clients sleep on a dedicated detox unit, receiving medical care as well as treatment for any co-occurring mental health disorders, such as anxiety, depression, or bipolar disorder.

Inpatient/residential care is designed for individuals aged 18+. It consists of individual, group, and family counseling, and family education, along with recreational activities such as yoga, volleyball, and aerobics.

Outpatient care uses the same treatment modalities as the residential program, and aims to foster lifestyle changes in clients. Treatment is offered at a variety of intensities, including a partial hospitalization program (PHP), an intensive outpatient program (IOP), and general outpatient counseling. The PHP requires attendance for 30 hours a week, on weekdays, and the IOP meets for up to nine hours a week, in the morning, afternoon, or evening.

Family consultations are available to help families who have identified a loved one struggling with addiction, but who don’t yet know what to do about it, and a free family education program is held every Sunday.

Children (ages nine to 12) who live in the presence of addiction are eligible to enroll in a free, overnight weekend camp called Camp Mariposa, where they can share their experiences in a safe space while also learning problem-solving and self-care strategies.

Staff at Penn Foundation include psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, LMFT counselors, social workers, and non-clinical workers. The eight individuals polled by Rehabs.com rated the staff's level of experience and training 3.87 out of five stars.

Penn Foundation's center has 16 detox beds and 39 inpatient/residential beds. Pictures published on the facility’s website show simple, office-like decor, with a dining area and a common area with armchairs. Amenities include yoga and smoking cessation classes.

Of the nine alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, seven were positive, one mixed, and one negative. The seven alumni polled on Penn Foundation's offerings in a variety of treatment metrics rated the center an average 4.29 stars for its family participation, 3.57 stars for its counseling options, and 3.14 stars for its holistic offerings. All seven alumni who were asked to what degree they would recommend treatment at Penn Foundation, Inc. gave maximum five-star ratings.

In their comments, alumni repeatedly described the center as clean and well-maintained, and praised the staff. “Caring employees, clean facility and good food,” Gina wrote in a representative review, and Jenny described the staff as “very kind and friendly.” Individual praise was given to the center’s small size and personalized care, dual diagnosis programming, and aftercare provisions. E.W. wrote: “Played a part in saving my life.”

In the few notes of criticism, a single client described the center as a scam. Others offered more gentle complaints, about small meals, insufficient time to rest, and a lack of holistic offerings.

The single loved one polled by Rehabs.com to date gave mostly negative feedback. Loved one L.M. wrote: “80% of employees don’t care they treat addicted people with no respect what so ever." They did rate Penn Foundation four out of five stars for its family participation, counseling options, and holistic offerings, but offered only one star for its staff’s level of training and experience, and indicated that they would not recommend the facility.

The single staffer polled by Rehabs.com to date would not recommend Penn Foundation. Though staffer B.B. gave the center five stars for its honesty and its willingness to put clients’ interests first, they indicated that they had some concerns about the quality of the center’s care — upon which they did not elaborate. “Better facilities exsist,” they wrote.

There is currently no information provided on the facility's website regarding its costs. The eight individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date rated the center’s affordability an average 3.88 out of five stars.

Published on November 2017

We came to Penn Foundation to seek mental health services for my 25 yr old son that we believe has ADHD and Personality Distorder. This is why we came, to get another opinion as another said he has Bipolar & Schizophrenea. Although the Psychiatrist was excellent, the clinical director is horrible. During initial consultation, they asked my son if he used drugs or alchohol. He does not drink at all and used Marijuanna for recreational use occasional. They would not allow him to seek mental health treatment unless he entered the Drug & Alchohol progam and they will not prescribe Medications used for ADHD. We will seek assistance else where where they will provide professional testing, psychological and psychiatric evaluation, therapy and the correct medication.

Good place. If you put the work in, it’s worth the stay. They helped me a lot.

Penn Foundation is so disappointing. Parading around as a upscale mental health facility that cares to only find out it is all about filling their pockets. I took my daughter to Dr. who diagnosed her but then refused to work with the school and pharmacy and wouldn't return my calls. When we had a follow up today, her and her administrator took no responsibility for all the mistakes. It's amazing - if you are a drug addict who chose to have a problem people throw money and help your way but when someone has a real problem like depression or anxiety they don't want any part of it because they can't make money off of it. We wonder why there is so much suicide and school shootings - maybe if the doctors were held responsible, maybe those people could get the help they need too.

I was scheduled there for an evaluation for my child for ADD/ADHD. We showed up for our appointment 30 minutes early to fill out paperwork, but there was no paperwork- so we sat. We went back and the doctor informed us that he was leaving in 5 weeks and that 3 of those weeks he would be on vacation because he "hasn't had a vacation in 2 years". We would not see him again after today and he would not be the doctor following up with us if we had issues. I was not told he was leaving or given the option to wait for his replacement. Since my child is not in crisis- we could have waited for a permanent doctor. He did not spend much time with us (just under an hour) and only about 20 minutes with my child. No way to get to know my child at all. He also said he could not use any of the school paperwork or evaluations and gave me even more forms for the school. Finally he said he could not make a diagnosis, would not prescribe any ADD/ADHD medication (we were referred by a therapist and my child's school for ADD/ADHD) because once again, he was done in 5 weeks and couldn't follow up with us. Told us to get an EKG in case the next provider that took over wanted to prescribe meds and then mentioned two other issues my child "might" have with no real help or diagnosis. Complete waste of my vacation day, complete was of my child's time away from school. Clearly the doctor himself was burnt out and used up by this poorly run facility. What kind of mental health facility doesn't take in to account the mental health and exhaustion of their own mental health providers???? This is a clear example of a disorganized, negligent, and inferior mental health facility management and directorship. Children and families need consistency and communication and they are clearly incapable of meeting anyone's needs. I feel like they took my copay, billed my insurance, did nothing and sent us on our way. NEVER GO HERE!!! Don't take yourself or your family here!! By the way I have left a message for the director with my concerns/complaint and have been IGNORED.

I really wanted help! I left without being " rehabilitated " as they say! 🤔

Overall, great facility. Smaller population compared to other facilities I've been to in the Philadelphia region. Very clean, awesome staff. Set me up with aftercare at Good Friends Inc. (halfway house), which my state funded insurance covered for 90 days. Played a part in saving my life. I'd recommend it to anyone. I've been clean for 9 months. I would love to go back there to thank the staff. My only two complaints: [1]Some meals (not all meals) are the size of a McDonald's Kid's Meal. [2]Crazy amount of groups and lectures in the daily schedule which resulted in not enough time to rest.

I believe there trying to do the best .80% of employees don't care they treat addicted people with no respect what so ever and before they are ready to help those I'll people they need to learn on how to do their job and how to talk to people with respect.addict or not .somebody needs to check their records. They need help before they attempt to help addicted people

Penn foundation seller ville is a rip along with the Dr. Two staff members don't care issue mess that don't work and bill ins. The director is a scammer . This is the first time I refused payment, A complaint against the director and staff 2015 local congressman's office.

Caring employees, clean facility and good food. Clients are there sometimes unwillingly and are bad influences to others. Nice facility, comfortable and helpful. I've been clean for over a year.

Small facility, personalized care. Dual-Diagnosis facility, with DRA meeting nearby. I would recommend this facility to anyone, particularly to someone with co-occurring disorder(s).

Good People, Made it easy to get off my addiction

Good program needs better holistic offering

Always someone to talk to. If I was to go back I would only like to go back to this one they are very kind and friendly

Got me through a very rough time. A few people in the staff were hard to get along with. I m glad I went there and will never forget my experience

Therapists, employees, well maintained. Men and women are to close.I think penn foundation was a great facility. They were strict but it was a good thing.