Princeton House Behavioral Health - Princeton HealthCare System

905 Herrontown Road, Princeton, New Jersey, 08540

3.5

About the Facility

Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)

Also called “shock therapy,” electroconvulsive therapy uses electricity applied to the brain to bring about a seizure that, research shows, can be helpful in overcoming debilitating, treatment-resistant depression.

Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

• Music Therapy
  • Dance Therapy
  • Art Therapy

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT PRINCETON HOUSE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH - PRINCETON HEALTHCARE SYSTEM

A division of Penn Medicine’s Princeton Health network, Princeton House Behavioral Health serves individuals struggling with mental illness, emotional challenges, and substance abuse. This center, located in Princeton, N.J., provides adult inpatient care, medical detox, and treatment for co-occurring disorders. The Princeton facility, as well as other facilities in the system, also offers specialized, age-specific outpatient services for youth, young adults, and older adults.

Within the state, Princeton House Behavioral Health is one of 11 (3.2 percent) substance abuse treatment facilities that provides hospital-based inpatient detoxification, among 11 (3.2 percent) that offers hospital-based inpatient care, and among 62.2 percent with specially tailored programs for clients with co-occurring disorders.

At Princeton House Behavioral Health, admission for inpatient programs is available 24 hours a day. Treatment is gender-specific and personalized to each individual. Clients addicted to substances may be treated initially in the inpatient medical detoxification unit. Clients are monitored 24/7 and may be given medication. This service is designed to be short-term and offer an intensive level of treatment. After they stabilize, clients typically transfer to the inpatient program or one of the various outpatient options.

Clients can expect to engage in group, one-on-one, and family therapy, along with evidence-based therapies and educational classes. The therapies aim to help individuals better deal with their emotions. Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), medication management, and expressive therapies, such as art therapy, are also available.

In addition to the residential track, the facility offers day treatment for three days per week and an intensive outpatient (IOP) program for three days per week.

Adolescents aged 13 to 18 receive a similar treatment regimen along with substance abuse services as needed. There is a specialized program for adolescent girls with emotional eating challenges. Princeton’s young adult services for mental health and addiction are available for patients aged 18 to mid-20s. The facility’s residential First Responder Treatment Services offers services to police officers, military personnel, firefighters, emergency medical technicians (EMTs), and paramedics.

Licensed by the state of New Jersey, Princeton House Behavioral Health is among 19.2 percent of substance abuse treatment facilities in the state that are accredited by The Joint Commission. The treatment staff includes board certified psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, primary care physicians, therapists, master’s-level social workers, and addiction counselors.

Princeton House Behavioral Health is set on 10 wooded acres. A 110 bed-facility, it features two gyms, an outdoor courtyard, and a game room. Expressive therapies, such as yoga, art, and writing, are offered. The conference center serves as the venue for educational programs and 12-step meetings. Clients are allowed to smoke in designated areas, according to the facility’s website, and nicotine replacements are available as well.

At the time of this writing, more than two dozen former clients submitted mostly favorable feedback to Rehabs.com about Princeton House Behavioral Health. At least 13 who evaluated a detailed series of metrics largely appreciated the facility's staff and physical facility.

Staff Experience and Training: 4.1/5
Cleanliness: 4.1/5
Would Recommend: 3.7/5

Positive reviewers appreciated the caring staff, helpful groups, and structured approach. An anonymous alum summed up their experience for Rehabs.com as “quality service. Excellent staff / food and service,” while alum M.E.G. characterized it as “Very good treatment and practice, highly recommended, has strict rules though with participation and doesn’t allow much alone time.”

Some complained about lack of adequate treatment time that affected results, as well as co-mingling of types and ages of clients, changing policies, and other inconsistencies.

On secondary sites, Princeton House Behavioral Health received mixed coverage to date: 2.8 out of five stars based on 77 reviews on Google. [1] Satisfied alumni reported an excellent experience at the facility, where they detoxed and achieved sobriety, and appreciated the caring and competent staff, such as five-star reviewer Angela on Google, who wrote: “This place saved my life and taught me so many skills to cope with my emotions." However, negative comments concerned rude treatment staff, issues with medication, and focus on money/insurance over patient care.

The 10 loved ones who reviewed Princeton House Behavioral Health for Rehabs.com to date submitted mixed impressions. However, the eight who evaluated a series of detailed survey metrics offered a number of moderately positive ratings.

Cleanliness: 4.1/5
Affordability: 3.8/5
Staff Experience and Training: 3.5/5

Some loved ones described the staff as compassionate and competent. "They take the time to talk with you and your family; everyone is involved in the treatment," one loved one wrote.

However, other loved ones reported a lack of effective treatment, over-medication, inadequate communication, and quick discharge from the program. C.F., who rated treatment effectiveness with one star, wrote: "They over prescribed medicine in my opinion. Personally, I do not think there are any strengths of this facility."

At the time of this writing, Princeton House Behavioral Health accepts a wide range of commercial health insurance plans from carriers including Aetna, Cigna, MagnaCare, and United Healthcare, as well as Medicare and Medicaid for most programs

Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

3.5/5
    3.5/5
    3.3/5
    3.8/5

Strengths include a rigorous schedule and lots of groups throughout the day. It's really cool that most of the staff is also in recovery, and the counselors are truly interested in helping the patients achieve their treatment goals. Inconsistency between staff members (some people enforce rules more strongly than others, medication and meal times change very frequently, etc), pay phones are very expensive, women are only allowed to smoke in a very small area while men have a large area to use. Compared to other treatment facilities, Sunrise House is very serious about recovery. There are no spas or crazy amenities, but if you are serious about getting better this is the place to go. The staff run lots of groups, everyone gets an individual counselor whom you see once a week, and Monday through Friday you will meet in small groups with your primary counselor and peers. The food, honestly, is pretty good, and there are some snacks available throughout the day. The patients are always supportive of one another and are generally a pretty good group. I can't speak for being an alumnus, because I am still here, but I have heard good things from the people I know who have graduated the program.
    Payments Too easy for co mingleing But it was helpful.
  • MH
    I just finished the woman\'s IOP program. After I finished this week I started to get the anxiety and Self injurious behaviors again. I think the program provides structure and just when I start to feel more comfortable the program is over. I feel it needs to be longer and also if your in the emotional regulation program your not given I feel as much support as the other womens program
  • MA
    My loved onehas been in and out several times from this facility! Facility and meals are fair. Staff very nice. However, I cannot believe the poor professional service ... You would think as professionals they would know when they were taking for \"a ride\" , I knew ... But yet they believe him and every time after he was released from detox a day later was back on everything! If you have insurance and can choose another facility DO IT!
  • fr
    do not go here terrible help!!!
    The staff there was terrible and the patients there were equally bad. I wouldn't say I have an especially threatening look, in fact people at my school labelled me as "cute" and would rarely even take me seriously. At Princeton House, however, I was treated as somewhat of a Frankenstein. People, both students and staff, constantly expressed how uncomfortable and scared they were around me. Part of the reason I was even there was anxiety about my looks, as well as anxiety about social situations. I had been depressed for so long that it was hard to positively interact with anyone there or sympathize with them, as I was void of all emotion, and I think this is why they felt justified in making fun of me and my looks.
  • DE
    Consistently high level of service.
  • Morgan
    Strengths: Cleanliness, care, diversity, intelligence. Weaknesses: demanding. Very good treatment and practice, highly recommended, has strict rules though with participation and doesn't allow much alone time.
    Very poor holistic offerings and family participation.
    Needs improvement, but had an excellent 12-step program.
  • JKR
    The Women's Program is very... IDK what to call it.... They hate men. My wife wasn't comfortable in there. It was empowering but she said so often the group sessions were little more than make bashing. Venting is often therapeutic, yes, but she said this was extreme. Each person has to make his or her own choice but sometimes in an emergency there is no time to make an informed decision. So my advice would be that Princeton House is a facility that you can feel good about. It is a safe facility and the staff is top notch, very available and helpful. The staff was caring and available. They did their best to help my wife and my family through a difficult time. The Physicians and Therapists always took my calls and answered my questions fully. I felt like my wife was safe there. I didn't worry about anything bad happening to her there. I think they discharged my wife too soon. I know sometimes that had to do with insurance. Ours is good and I never saw an unpaid bill. Still, I felt that my wife could have done well with a few more days of in-patient therapy. It all ended up working out but I had to miss a lot of work and at least I could work while she was in there because I knew she was safe and in her programs. After she was released she went to out patient treatment and groups for a year or so afterwards. Her treatment was a complete success and she has not relapsed.
    INTENSIVE outpatient was a strength, but they pushed medication.
    quality service. excellent staff / food and service.
    It was very structured. They weren't firm enough. I don't have anything to compare this to.
    Attentive to patients, willing to sit down and talk to patients about their problems and really listen. Tried to force patients to participate in recreational activities against their will. This facility was very clean and well-maintained and the staff was very friendly and helpful. It was clear that the staff really wanted to see the patients recover and be successful.
    The drug addict is still one.
  • Danielle
    This place got completely played by a patient and these employees are supposed to be trained professionals???? Please DO NOT send a loved one to this facility. They just want them in and out.
  • vbaboli
    Just a word of advise: Do NOT take your kid or loved on there, they are *horrible* ... I can't get too personal, but my experience with them was not good at all. [poor admissions procedures]. All I heard was that they were trying to find fresh meat and milk it for as long as they can, then they dispose of you. And that's what they did.
    Excellent staff. Well trained. Compassionate. The young adult program is excelling, just too short in length.
  • LB
    This facility is excellent for short term treatment and I highly recommend it. Please keep in mind it is strictly short term, 3-7 days, so while the patient is there it's best to meet with a social worker to set up an aftercare plan and utilize the resources available to you there, otherwise you are wasting the time you are spending there. Ability to assist in detox, different types of counseling offered, compassion and knowledge of staff, aftercare plan treatment required prior to discharge and they assist in setting up your after care plan. Offers 12 step meetings daily and offers other non 12 step related coping strategies. If the patient isn't pro active about there treatment plan and aftercare then they receive minimal help. I understand the person has to want the help but I feel the facility and staff need to acknowledge and act accordingly to the fact that when u are in the facility you are very much like an infant in need of parents help. Treatment plans should be guided more by the staff rather than depending on the clients being proactive.
  • Ginger
    Do not use methadone, which this facility advocates for opiate addiction. They have a good medical program, but unfortunately give methadone for opiate treatment.
  • CF
    The first thing they did didn't work; they over prescribed medicine in my opinion. Personally, I do not think there are any strengths of this facility. Anyone I've ever known that could actually get in, came out the same or worse. The staff, programs, rules, treatment plans, and prescribed medicine are all weaknesses of the facility.
  • JR
    It was nice that the facility was family oriented.
    Too much emphasis on drugs rehab. Not trained to manage a "mild case" of a middle aged alcoholic. Too focused on younger crowd. The psychiatrist told me to "get a dog, you're lonely." However, the location was good.
    I heard that the other facilities where I live are not as nice as this one so I am glad I went here. I was put in the wrong group which then limited my visitors to come. The doctor put me on a dosage that I should not have been on. The food and staff were wonderful.
    I expected to be fully detoxed from Xanax when I left. Seven days is not a sufficient period to detox someone off Xanax. The usability to cope with benxodiazepine withdrawal was a downfall. However, the nurses were caring.
    They take the time to talk with you and your family; everyone is involved in the treatment. They are compassionate, caring, modern, and effective. However, sometimes my husband had too much free time.
    They were very helpful in getting me clean. However, the food was horrible.
    When my loved one checked in, some of his personal items were taken from him such as his razor which is understandable. However these items were not returned upon discharge. This was rather upsetting because some of these items were rather expensive. They are excellently equipped to handle mental illness in combination with addiction. Communication with my loved one was very difficult.
  • Rachel
    The staff was wonderful. My only complaints were that I had roomates (who were all very nice but I would have preferred being alone since I felt like crap), there was lots of group therapy, and they got you up at 6:30 to check vitals. The patients were very nice, the staff was great and very caring.
  • anonymous
    Seems successful for all ages. Was in area with patients with dual diagnoses & young adults (over 18). Facilities need sections or subsections for young adults--more mature H.S. kids-25 depending on level of addiction/mental state. They can learn too much more from older population about drugs & how to improvise & also about people being hopeless for years in depression on-and-off. Not very encouraging. However, since well-known that exercise relives stress & is beneficial as distraction to addictive & self-destructive thoughts--facility should have daily access to fitness room. Just bikes, treadmills, ellipticals with no weights or machines. And more art therapy. There was a fitness room but not able to use. Excellent counseling, care & clean, safe.
  • anonymous
    It's the Ritz Carlton of psychiatric facilities!