Princeton House Behavioral Health - Princeton HealthCare System in Princeton, NJ

Call (800) 242-2550 to Contact Princeton House Behavioral Health - Princeton HealthCare System

905 Herrontown Road
Princeton NJ 08540

Princeton House Behavioral Health - Princeton HealthCare System Philosophy

Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT), Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Music Therapy
Dance Therapy
Art Therapy

ABOUT PRINCETON HOUSE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH

Part of the Princeton Health, Princeton House Behavioral Health provides residential and outpatient care. Children, adolescents, and adults may receive treatment for mental health, behavioral health, and substance abuse disorders. Medical detox is available onsite, and outpatient sites are in five different locations throughout the area. This location is the main facility in Princeton, N.J.

Admission for inpatient programs is available 24 hours a day. Treatment is gender-specific and personalized to each individual. Clients can expect group, one-on-one, and family therapy, along with evidence-based therapies and educational classes. The therapies aim to help individuals better deal with their emotions. Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), medication management, and expressive therapies, such as art therapy, are also available.

In addition to the residential track, the facility also offers day treatment for three days per week and an intensive outpatient (IOP) program for three days per week.

Adolescents aged 13 to 18 receive similar treatment along with substance abuse services as needed. There is a specialized program for adolescent girls with emotional eating challenges. Princeton’s young adult services for mental health and addiction are directed at those between 18 to their mid-20s.

The facility’s residential First Responder Treatment Services target substance abuse problems in those who deal with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), including police officers, military personnel, EMTs, firefighters, and paramedics.

Accredited by the Joint Commission and licensed by The State of New Jersey, Princeton House Behavioral Health staffs board certified psychiatrists, therapists, psychiatric nurses, social workers, primary care physicians, and a clinical pharmacist.

The facility is situated on 10 wooded acres, with 110 beds. It offers two gyms, an outdoor courtyard, and a game room. Expressive therapies like yoga, art, and writing are provided. There is a conference center for educational programs and 12-step meetings. Clients are allowed to smoke in designated areas, according to the facility’s website, but nicotine replacements are available as well.

At the time of this writing, Rehabs.com has received over two dozen reviews from former clients of Princeton House Behavioral Health. The 13 alumni polled on whether they would recommend treatment at this facility gave an average rating of 3.69 out of five stars.

The 15 alumni surveyed gave average ratings of 4.1 out of five stars for cleanliness, 3.3 stars for the program's exercise and leisure opportunities, 3.3 stars for family participation, and 2.2 stars for holistic treatment offerings. The 14 alumni surveyed on connectivity/visitor policy gave 2.6 stars, while counseling options received 2.9 stars, and the staff's level of training and experience received 4.1 stars.

Complaints included a sentiment from alumni that they were discharged too early, and that the program catered to younger adults more than the older clients. However, many respondents also noted excellent staff and praised the program. One alum wrote: “This facility was very clean and well-maintained and the staff was very friendly and helpful. It was clear that the staff really wanted to see the patients recover and be successful.”

On Google, the facility earned an average of 2.8 out of five stars from 46 reviews to date. [1] Several reviewers complained about the use of medication in treatment and the staff members. Others gave mixed reviews about the facility itself and disorganized units. In a representative review, alum Devon wrote: “The program has no direction and just seems to be an expensive waste of time. My doctor pushed the same (expensive) medication on several patients with completely different issues, probably because she gets something out of it.”

To date, Rehabs.com has received survey responses from 10 loved ones of former clients whose ratings were mixed. For instance, loved one C.F. gave just one out of five stars for treatment effectiveness and wrote: "they over prescribed medicine in my opinion. Personally, I do not think there are any strengths of this facility." Additionally, an anonymous reviewer cited communication issues while another wrote: "The drug addict is still one," implying that treatment was not effective.

More positive reviews praised the staff. An anonymous reviewer who gave five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness wrote: "They take the time to talk with you and your family; everyone is involved in the treatment." Another respondent gave just three stars for the effectiveness of treatment but wrote: "Princeton House is a facility that you can feel good about. It is a safe facility and the staff is top notch, very available and helpful. The staff was caring and available."

Loved ones rated facility cleanliness the highest, with an average of 4.1 out of five stars. The lowest rating went to its holistic offerings which received an average of 2.5 out of five stars.

CONCLUSION

According to the center’s website, Medicare and Medicaid is accepted, along with other insurance providers.

The facility has received negative attention for several reasons. Most recently, a mental health associate at the facility was charged with sexual assault of a woman. While the employee was suspended and charges pending, his duties were restricted so he didn’t have contact with patients. He was last reported as working at the facility as of September 2016.

[1] https://goo.gl/yv29TP

Published on February 2018

Strengths include a rigorous schedule and lots of groups throughout the day. It's really cool that most of the staff is also in recovery, and the counselors are truly interested in helping the patients achieve their treatment goals. Inconsistency between staff members (some people enforce rules more strongly than others, medication and meal times change very frequently, etc), pay phones are very expensive, women are only allowed to smoke in a very small area while men have a large area to use. Compared to other treatment facilities, Sunrise House is very serious about recovery. There are no spas or crazy amenities, but if you are serious about getting better this is the place to go. The staff run lots of groups, everyone gets an individual counselor whom you see once a week, and Monday through Friday you will meet in small groups with your primary counselor and peers. The food, honestly, is pretty good, and there are some snacks available throughout the day. The patients are always supportive of one another and are generally a pretty good group. I can't speak for being an alumnus, because I am still here, but I have heard good things from the people I know who have graduated the program.

Payments Too easy for co mingleing But it was helpful.

MH

I just finished the woman\'s IOP program. After I finished this week I started to get the anxiety and Self injurious behaviors again. I think the program provides structure and just when I start to feel more comfortable the program is over. I feel it needs to be longer and also if your in the emotional regulation program your not given I feel as much support as the other womens program

MA

My loved onehas been in and out several times from this facility! Facility and meals are fair. Staff very nice. However, I cannot believe the poor professional service ... You would think as professionals they would know when they were taking for \"a ride\" , I knew ... But yet they believe him and every time after he was released from detox a day later was back on everything! If you have insurance and can choose another facility DO IT!

fr

do not go here terrible help!!!

The staff there was terrible and the patients there were equally bad. I wouldn't say I have an especially threatening look, in fact people at my school labelled me as "cute" and would rarely even take me seriously. At Princeton House, however, I was treated as somewhat of a Frankenstein. People, both students and staff, constantly expressed how uncomfortable and scared they were around me. Part of the reason I was even there was anxiety about my looks, as well as anxiety about social situations. I had been depressed for so long that it was hard to positively interact with anyone there or sympathize with them, as I was void of all emotion, and I think this is why they felt justified in making fun of me and my looks.

DE

Consistently high level of service.

Morgan

Strengths: Cleanliness, care, diversity, intelligence. Weaknesses: demanding. Very good treatment and practice, highly recommended, has strict rules though with participation and doesn't allow much alone time.

Very poor holistic offerings and family participation.

Needs improvement, but had an excellent 12-step program.

JKR

The Women's Program is very... IDK what to call it.... They hate men. My wife wasn't comfortable in there. It was empowering but she said so often the group sessions were little more than make bashing. Venting is often therapeutic, yes, but she said this was extreme. Each person has to make his or her own choice but sometimes in an emergency there is no time to make an informed decision. So my advice would be that Princeton House is a facility that you can feel good about. It is a safe facility and the staff is top notch, very available and helpful. The staff was caring and available. They did their best to help my wife and my family through a difficult time. The Physicians and Therapists always took my calls and answered my questions fully. I felt like my wife was safe there. I didn't worry about anything bad happening to her there. I think they discharged my wife too soon. I know sometimes that had to do with insurance. Ours is good and I never saw an unpaid bill. Still, I felt that my wife could have done well with a few more days of in-patient therapy. It all ended up working out but I had to miss a lot of work and at least I could work while she was in there because I knew she was safe and in her programs. After she was released she went to out patient treatment and groups for a year or so afterwards. Her treatment was a complete success and she has not relapsed.

INTENSIVE outpatient was a strength, but they pushed medication.

quality service. excellent staff / food and service.

It was very structured. They weren't firm enough. I don't have anything to compare this to.

Attentive to patients, willing to sit down and talk to patients about their problems and really listen. Tried to force patients to participate in recreational activities against their will. This facility was very clean and well-maintained and the staff was very friendly and helpful. It was clear that the staff really wanted to see the patients recover and be successful.

The drug addict is still one.

Danielle

This place got completely played by a patient and these employees are supposed to be trained professionals???? Please DO NOT send a loved one to this facility. They just want them in and out.

vbaboli

Just a word of advise: Do NOT take your kid or loved on there, they are *horrible* ... I can't get too personal, but my experience with them was not good at all. [poor admissions procedures]. All I heard was that they were trying to find fresh meat and milk it for as long as they can, then they dispose of you. And that's what they did.

Excellent staff. Well trained. Compassionate. The young adult program is excelling, just too short in length.

LB

This facility is excellent for short term treatment and I highly recommend it. Please keep in mind it is strictly short term, 3-7 days, so while the patient is there it's best to meet with a social worker to set up an aftercare plan and utilize the resources available to you there, otherwise you are wasting the time you are spending there. Ability to assist in detox, different types of counseling offered, compassion and knowledge of staff, aftercare plan treatment required prior to discharge and they assist in setting up your after care plan. Offers 12 step meetings daily and offers other non 12 step related coping strategies. If the patient isn't pro active about there treatment plan and aftercare then they receive minimal help. I understand the person has to want the help but I feel the facility and staff need to acknowledge and act accordingly to the fact that when u are in the facility you are very much like an infant in need of parents help. Treatment plans should be guided more by the staff rather than depending on the clients being proactive.

Ginger

Do not use methadone, which this facility advocates for opiate addiction. They have a good medical program, but unfortunately give methadone for opiate treatment.

CF

The first thing they did didn't work; they over prescribed medicine in my opinion. Personally, I do not think there are any strengths of this facility. Anyone I've ever known that could actually get in, came out the same or worse. The staff, programs, rules, treatment plans, and prescribed medicine are all weaknesses of the facility.

JR

It was nice that the facility was family oriented.

Too much emphasis on drugs rehab. Not trained to manage a "mild case" of a middle aged alcoholic. Too focused on younger crowd. The psychiatrist told me to "get a dog, you're lonely." However, the location was good.

I heard that the other facilities where I live are not as nice as this one so I am glad I went here. I was put in the wrong group which then limited my visitors to come. The doctor put me on a dosage that I should not have been on. The food and staff were wonderful.

I expected to be fully detoxed from Xanax when I left. Seven days is not a sufficient period to detox someone off Xanax. The usability to cope with benxodiazepine withdrawal was a downfall. However, the nurses were caring.

They take the time to talk with you and your family; everyone is involved in the treatment. They are compassionate, caring, modern, and effective. However, sometimes my husband had too much free time.

They were very helpful in getting me clean. However, the food was horrible.

When my loved one checked in, some of his personal items were taken from him such as his razor which is understandable. However these items were not returned upon discharge. This was rather upsetting because some of these items were rather expensive. They are excellently equipped to handle mental illness in combination with addiction. Communication with my loved one was very difficult.

Rachel

The staff was wonderful. My only complaints were that I had roomates (who were all very nice but I would have preferred being alone since I felt like crap), there was lots of group therapy, and they got you up at 6:30 to check vitals. The patients were very nice, the staff was great and very caring.

anonymous

Seems successful for all ages. Was in area with patients with dual diagnoses & young adults (over 18). Facilities need sections or subsections for young adults--more mature H.S. kids-25 depending on level of addiction/mental state. They can learn too much more from older population about drugs & how to improvise & also about people being hopeless for years in depression on-and-off. Not very encouraging. However, since well-known that exercise relives stress & is beneficial as distraction to addictive & self-destructive thoughts--facility should have daily access to fitness room. Just bikes, treadmills, ellipticals with no weights or machines. And more art therapy. There was a fitness room but not able to use. Excellent counseling, care & clean, safe.

anonymous

It's the Ritz Carlton of psychiatric facilities!