Pyramid Healthcare - Altoona Detox and Inpatient Treatment Center in Duncansville, PA

Call (814) 940-0407 to Contact Pyramid Healthcare - Altoona Detox and Inpatient Treatment Center

(3 of 5)
1894 Plank Road
Duncansville PA 16635

Pyramid Healthcare - Altoona Detox and Inpatient Treatment Center Philosophy

Welcome to Pyramid Healthcare. We offer treatment and care for adult and teen alcohol and drug abuse, as well as treatment for individuals with mental health disorders and adolescent behavioral problems. We have locations in Western, Central and Eastern Pennsylvania to provide comprehensive care to people dealing with alcohol abuse and/or drug addiction.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Individualized Counseling Sessions

Group Therapy Sessions

Group Learning Activities

Jonathan Wolf

Chief Executive Officer

Jonathan Wolf is the Chief Executive Officer of Pyramid Healthcare, Inc. Founded in July of 1999, Pyramid has quickly gained a reputation as a provider of high quality behavioral healthcare in Pennsylvania. Jon is a Pennsylvania native with a Bachelor’s Degree from Penn State University and a Master’s Degree in Hospital Administration from George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Before returning to Pennsylvania, Jon operated free-standing psychiatric and substance abuse treatment hospitals in Rockledge, Florida, Atlanta, Georgia, Salt Lake City, Utah and Toledo, Ohio. An active member of the Central Pennsylvania community, Jon previously served as the Annual Campaign Chairman and Chairman of the Board of the United Way of Blair County.

ABOUT PYRAMID HEALTHCARE – ALTOONA DETOX AND INPATIENT TREATMENT CENTER

Pyramid Healthcare’s Altoona Detox and Inpatient Treatment Center in Duncansville, Pa., one of multiple Pyramid Healthcare treatment centers located throughout Pennsylvania, provides treatment for individuals struggling with substance abuse issues and co-occurring disorders.

Detox services are available for both teens and adults, and adults may access both long and short-term residential care. Additionally, specialty programming is available for women, clients struggling with problem gambling, and individuals with involvement in the criminal justice system.

Before beginning treatment, all clients undergo an initial assessment and receive treatment recommendations tailored to their needs. Clients who require medical monitoring for withdrawal symptoms begin their stay in detox where they have access to 24-hour nursing care, pain-relieving medication, and therapy.

Once stabilized, adult clients typically move on to the center’s residential program, which offers both short and long-term treatment. Inpatient treatment is highly structured and based on 12-step principles. Clients participate in individual, family, and small group counseling, as well as experiential therapy. Residents are also educated on the disease of addiction and taught coping and life skills that aid relapse prevention. Psychiatric care, medication management, and case management are provided as needed. The facility's website notes that schedules are highly structured, with patients having little free time.

Altoona’s treatment team includes licensed medical professionals, a registered dietitian, and a certified experiential therapist.

While treatment is co-ed, residents stay in gender-specific housing and sleep in shared, dormitory-like bedrooms that typically accommodate two clients (some suites house three people at a time). Residential facilities are equipped with a designated fitness area, and transportation to the treatment facility is provided by Pyramid Healthcare.

Alumni reviews sourced by Rehabs.com are mixed. When asked how likely they were to recommend the facility to others, the nine alumni surveyed provided an average rating of 3.78 stars. Evaluated categories earning the highest ratings included the program’s affordability and the staff’s level of training and experience, which received respective ratings of 3.67 and 3.56 out of five stars. Alum C.J. told Rehabs.com that “a majority of the staff and Techs were great." Another anonymous reviewer noted that the staff was “hands on with every single person in there.”

The facility's cleanliness and practices were subject to criticism from multiple alumni. “This place is terrible, 6 ppl share one shower n toilet… its just dirty and gross, dnt be fooled by the pictures its NOTHING like they portray it,” alum B.G. wrote in their review. Another anonymous survey respondent found the accommodations to be too crowded. “Too many clients per bedroom… being in close quarters of so many women, made it difficult to focus on personal issues,” she wrote.

Alumni also gave low ratings for the facility's connectivity/visitor policy and the center’s counseling options, which received respective ratings of 2.33 and 2.67 out of five stars. Some former clients characterized the programming as monotonous. “Going to meetings outside facilities was a strength… sitting in classrooms for 15 hours a day was a downfall,” alum Heather told Rehabs.com. However, some alumni, like alum Jillian, found the structured classroom approach to be beneficial. “I do recommend it b to others it does pit structure back into your life and you have no choice in that matter because it doesn't end all day long at least 12 hours of straight meetings ect,” Jillian wrote.

Reviews provided by three loved ones were also mixed. When asked how likely they were to recommend the facility to others they gave an average rating of 2.7 out of five stars. One anonymous survey respondent noted that they would recommend the facility, as they found it to be helpful. Another respondent told Rehabs.com that their loved one “liked it there,” but that the client was released too early; they gave the center’s treatment effectiveness three stars. The third reviewer told Rehabs.com that the treatment program “did not help” and described the staff as “not knowledgeable.”

The one anonymous staff member surveyed by Rehabs.com (who disclosed that they had been fired) provided a critical review of the center’s programming. They described the nursing staff as “pretty good,” but included a long list of weaknesses. “Their therapists have little to no knowledge of psychology or therapeutic techniques (they do things like play ‘hangman’ as ‘group therapy’); they refer to clients negatively in treatment team meetings…They have inadequate training and education. The doctor prescribed methadone at levels that are sub-therapeutic. Their goal is not to get people clean,” they wrote.

Pyramid Healthcare provides self-pay options and accepts several insurance plans, including those from Aetna, Cigna, and Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Published on December 2017

This place is a joke no help at all they only care about money my fiancé was sent there for court ordered rehab 60-90 days and this rehab in Duncansville tell me and her kids she’ll be home in month and half then turn around and tell her they sending her to their halfway house and if she done go to it they will call the courts on her knowing she has court dates coming up and her job waiting for her they tell her she needs to goto halfway house for 6 months she was also sent to the er due to reactions with their meds they had her on and refuse to take her to a real dr not their pretend ones this place should be shut down they offer no real help only concern they have is for the money

Terrible place! What a joke. No professionalism at all.

terrible facility and needs shut down.

not individualized. Strengths: small-scale. Weakness: professionalism

DO NOT GO HERE!! I just left because the doctors were mean the counselors are the worst I ever saw. they let you bring NOTHING in like basic hygiene items like lotion, qtips, nail clippers, pretty much everything. then on my first day they put me on a razor ban because I was crying on the phone with my mom without asking me to calm down first or anything. Then they took the clips for my ace bandages for the torn ligament in my knee and gave me tape? Really? oh and they put me in the building with the long staircase knowing about my knee even though the other women building had an elevator. go here if you want to be miserable. oh and they do nothing for you. I had to ask at least 5 times for anything

My sister went there for detox and was given no medication for over 24 hours. The people I interacted with on the phone were zero help. What a waste of money. They shouldn't offer a medical detox if they are going to make people go through such bad withdrawal that they give up and come home.

I just came home from my stay here a few days ago. I couldn't wait to write a review. It's a JOKE. Structure is what they like to preach, but maybe they should lead by example. Techs come and go here alot... so many call offs, no shows and fires and hires.. Makes it hard to want to be able to trust any of them with giving me proper care and guidance. Most techs acted like they didn't care, most cared more about gossiping about each other and even other residents like myself. Management is a joke...there are a few good techs, but management is only pushing them out the door. I see why they can't keep techs there and have a high turn over rate. The techs are told to not talk to clients for more than 5 minutes because it shows favoritism. I was actually cut off by a tech when I was venting and told she could no longer engage in conversation because of this stupid 5 minutes rule. I felt so bad for her... she was a really good tech who unfortunately is probably on her way out the door because they don't know how to take care of their employees, techs. Overall, it was a joke. Nobody cares...maybe a few of the good techs, but mostly employees there see it as a paycheck. Structure... Yeah practice what you preach.

OMG where do I start?? This place is ALL about money and nothing more. Basically a step above jail.. the only thing better about this place than jail is the cigarette breaks and the food is better than jail but still the worst food I had at any rehab I've been to. No creamer for coffee, the detox floor is stocked with only crackers and some yogurt. I was told I should have been grateful to eat from the staff. I am a grateful person in general but when I am paying you a couple thousand to attend your rehab and you can't feed us ok (everyone was hungry all day they'd try to steal and sneak food we were so hungry) .. the couch in the women's detox unit had the cushion chewed away from some rodent or insects idk. After detox I went upstairs to inpatient and I lasted two days before I pulled myself out of that place and want to cove forge (great rehab and I am clean because of cove forge..) upstairs you share a TINY room with three people beds almost touching and the bathroom is tiny and it's linked with the room next to you so 6 people sharing a tiny bathroom (pretty sure it was mold i saw on our bathroom roof as well..) the groups include about 30 girls in one room all day for 15 hours basically the same NA meeting. No relapse therapy , no creativity and nothing exciting or that required any effort from the staff. No personal connection between therapists and patients.. we actually have a day of the week called patient staff talk where u go around one by one and tell the counselor the problem and they just write it down . Pathetic camt even approach staff personally. I felt crazy from staring at the same room so close to 30 people to stressed with my social anxiety to even talk bout my problems. This place is ran like a jail. no trust.. walk all together, smoke together with therapist all day. I felt so caged I wanted to break free and use drugs more. After two days I decided to leave.. they wouldn't call another rehab to help me transferred(understandable I guess) so I left myself when they asked why I told them the reasons and the one counselor agreed with me that place was a dump and ran like a jail. The others threatened me with jail time by my PO I didn't care would rather have been in jail. I left and went to cove forge. food excellent. One on ones with counselors.. beautiful setting . Lots of activities outside and based on recovery. Beautiful comfortable space and setting with rooms. GO TO A PLACE THEY PUT MONEY BACk INTO THE FACILITY not just pocket your money. The only positives of pyramid was some of the counselors in the women's detox until are great people and easy to talk to.. (women's unit a middle aged brown hair women's, a younger guywith dreads, a tall man I think and an older African American gentleman started in April are all GREAT counselors.) And lastly the provided me with a ride out of there even tho I left AMA and let me use the phones.. which is nice of them because they cared abput my safety ..

My fiance was sent to this place 6 days ago can anyone tell me when he might be able to call me I can't find anything on their website about loved ones mail or phone usage I'm going nuts so in advance thank you for any help

At one point there was no salt, butter, coffee. Theft is a major problem here.

I detoxed and did inpt tx. The program works but the individual has to also want to be clean I have been clean for 13 months. They did note me as a high risk for relapse due to multiple medical problems. However I wanted nothing more than to be free of my addiction. The vast majority of staff were helpful and knowledgeable; a few not so much. The staff does need to expand their knowledge and tx platform for pt with unusual Med conditions. They did recommend MAT after d/c but by the Grace of God I chose not to follow their suggestion. Space and bathroom access was a concern and should be addressed. Also 15 hours of sitting in one room daily was difficult. But I aquiesced because I WANTED a new life w/o drugs. I attend NA mtgs regularly as suggested. I would recommend this facility to anyone. The staff that I encountered throughout my process were quite compassionate and supportive.

this place is all about fill, fill, fill for beds so they have money coming in. half of the employees there don't know what they are doing, or they just don't care. there are a few employees who do a good job and don't play around but they don't get recognized for actually doing their job. you would think a bunch of young teenagers worked at this place, very unprofessional.

I attended there, a majority of the staff and Techs were great. There was one women who was the worst counselor on the Women's Inpatient Facility.

Very great establishment I just celebrated a year of sobriety on april 20 th never felt better thanks

they were friendly and helpful and my loved one liked it there, but they released my loved one early. They were supposed to be there for something like 3 months, but they were released early, but not sure what the reason was. She had a seizure from what we were told and they wanted her to be checked by a doctor. Just waiting to see what happens from here. Wondering if she is going back there or somewhere else after her court date

help people with their addictions

good customer service, up to date facility. sufficient group therapies that one can participate with families and loved ones, however more improvement might be needed for other effective and innovative treatment options.

couselers are the best. i spent 30 days there and the treatment is second to none, the staff is hands on with every single person in there.

this place is terrible, 6 ppl share one shower n toilet, its ran like a prison when u move over. its just dirty and gross, dnt be fooled by the pictures its NOTHING like they portray it, their hillside location is where you should go. altoona is garbage. STAY AWAY

Their nursing staff are pretty good.There are many weaknesses - they discharge people for payment issues; they work their therapists to death and expect them to work nights/weekends just to keep up with the paperwork; their therapists have little to no knowledge of psychology or therapeutic techniques (they do things like play "hangman" as "group therapy"); they refer to clients negatively in treatment team meetings; and, they fired me for not calling in when I injured my back at their facility and their own dr took me to the ER. Horrible, ineffective place. They don't care about thie clients. They look down on them. They have inadequate training and education.

Worst facility ever. Pyramid was horrible. It was kike being in jail. I had to write a 3 page essay for giving a girl one of my sugar packets for her tea. They made a girl stand for hours because she fell asleep because she was on new meds.

Being equipped to deal with dual diagnosis was key in my recovery. Too many clients per bedroom, too many women per unit. Less clients=less issues. I believe Pyramid helped me in recovering from my addiction but with suffering from social anxiety, having to deal with being in close quarters of so many women, made it difficult to focus on personal issues.

Close home. Did not help. Not knowledgeable. Stated he did not have an addiction and this was clearly wrong!

Going to meetings outside facilities was a strength. However, sitting in classrooms for 15 hours a day was a downfall. This facility is a good facility if you want to do nothing but sit all day 15-16 hour days of sitting sleep was from 10-530 it was rough

Great staff, very caring, everyone makes u feel welcome..excellent food and Xtra activities... it was all around a life changing experience. . The program was absolutely amazing in every aspect.. they have great care and concern for every individual client and do everything for the best interest of every individual... I would recommend this facility to anyone in need...

The facility offers great detox treatments. The weakness is not the facility. It's actually the other clients. And I would like more individual therapy. Like I stated before it has great detoxification . It is located in an awesome area. And offers excellent group therapy.

The majority of the staff are recovering addicts themselves. I highly recommend this highly structured program to anyone. The staff is very knowledgeable and caring.

The program does work if you are truly ready to quit..the staff were fantastic and truly cared and were extremely caring. The schedule is way too strict and tedious. Due to the schedule you are tired not relaxed because you wake up at 6 and no breaks all day long except for ten minute smoke breaks.it made everyone not want to stay or get out of bed in the morning. The food was not good. They did not help to treat your duel diagnoses they actually made everyone ween off of their medicines for anxiety even if not misused. The facility is a really strict place but it does work for a lot of people including me. I do recommend it b to others it does pit structure back into your life and you have no choice in that matter because it doesn't end all day long at least 12 hours of straight meetings ect. It was very hard to adjust to the schedule but all in all that place saved my life. I am now clean off herion for over 6 months and have a job and great relationships with my family and friends I feel better than I have in years thanks to pyramid. It really does work !!

Doctors did not use proper meds and did not explain new methods of medicine. Complete waste of time...