Recovering Champions in East Falmouth, MA

279 Brick Kiln Rd.
East Falmouth MA 02536

Recovering Champions Philosophy

Our mission is to help those who suffer from drug and alcohol addiction learn a new way of life, repair the past and continue the daily process of recovery into the future.

Our proven approach to treatment takes into account each client’s background and specific needs. Unlike other facilities, we focus on more than just abstinence; we believe that a successful treatment plan must address the underlying spiritual, emotional and psychological causes of addiction.

To this end, we take a holistic, integrated approach to the disease of addiction, by providing customized treatments that focus on the mind, body, and spirit simultaneously.

• Animal Therapy
    Animal therapy (also called animal-assisted therapy and pet therapy) supports recovery and emotional wellbeing by helping people develop relationships with animals. Animal therapy can be a one-time or ongoing experience.

• Trauma & Associative Awareness Therapy (AAT)
    Associative Awareness Therapy (AAT) uses the brain’s innate ability to adapt to change in a healing way, essentially “retraining” the brain to respond differently to familiar memories of trauma or pain.

Master’s Degree-Licensed Clinicians

Experienced Staff; Low Client to Staff Ratio

Family Therapy and Education Program

Karen Vernon-Thompson, LICSW, CADC-II, LADC-I

Clinician

Photo of Karen Vernon-Thompson, LICSW, CADC-II, LADC-I

Karen has more than 25 years of supervisory experience managing detox, CSS, and transitional support services at local inpatient treatment facilities. An advocate of — and a participant in — the 12-step program, Karen has a special insight that informs her clinical practice.

Toby Lineaweaver, MA, LMHC

Program Director

As Program Director at Recovering Champions, Toby has the unique opportunity to use his administrative and clinical experience to integrate best treatment practices with the transformative power of nonjudgmental human connection in the treatment of substance abuse and addiction.

ABOUT RECOVERING CHAMPIONS

Based in the Cape Cod town of East Falmouth, Mass., Recovering Champions operates two rehab facilities for adults struggling with substance use and co-occurring mental health disorders. Both a retreat-style residence (also known as Awakenings Lodge) and an intensive outpatient treatment center (Cape Cod Behavioral Health) are designed to support holistic recovery, built on 12-step concepts. While detox is not offered on-site, the center maintains partnerships with local detox facilities and can help arrange for treatment prior to entering Recovering Champions. The recovery program opened in 2015, according to a Cape Cod Times article.

The rehab facility's holistic approach incorporates outdoor activities, which include equine therapy, and a combination of evidence-based cognitive and behavioral therapies, experiential therapies such as art and music, and wellness practices, including yoga and meditation. Clients also participate in one-on-one counseling, group and family therapy, educational workshops, and 12-step meetings.

Highly structured partial hospitalization (PHP) and intensive outpatient programs (IOP) meet for three-and-a-half to six hours each day. When utilizing the IOP as a step-down treatment process, clients will continue working with the same case managers and counselors assigned during PHP. The outpatient program (OP) operates in the same way, allowing clients to transition back to their daily lives from IOP with the same support staff. Programming for OP does not exceed eight hours each week.

Medication-assisted therapy, less intensive outpatient treatment, and family counseling are also available. Some clients opt for drug testing as part of their individual treatment plans.

According to the center’s website, the staff includes master’s-level therapists and social workers, licensed alcohol and drug counselors, and case managers.

Recovering Champions' 50-bed residential accommodations in Sandwich, on the Cape, are referred to as a spiritual retreat center or wellness lodge, rather than a treatment facility. Photographs of this converted motor lodge and of the outpatient treatment center depict warm, comfortable, and serene settings with comfortable and modern furnishings. The lodge site includes a basketball court and vegetable and flower gardens. Daily phone calls are permitted and clients may smoke in designated areas.

Seven of the eight alumni, staff, and loved ones polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave this facility's accommodations five out of five stars.

The alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com to date had only positive things to share about their treatment experiences. The two alumni polled on various metrics gave four or five out of five stars for all aspects of accommodations and treatment evaluated, including meals and nutrition, opportunities for exercise and leisure activity, options in counseling approaches, and facilitation of family participation.

T.C. commended the "attentive" staff and "amazing" food. "I was amazed at the level of care - the personal attention by the staff and the holistic approach that treated my mental, physical, and spiritual issues," this alum wrote. K.W. shared similar gratitude for the facility's staff, commenting on the "opportunity to grow" through the guidance of "staff I looked up to, could relate to, and admired. The staff engaged me right away, nurtured my strengths and encouraged me to identify and battle my weakness'."

Another alum, C.M., appreciated the center's "strong adherence to the 12 steps" and credited the program's structure for their ability to transition back to daily life.

Likewise, the sole loved one of a client surveyed by Rehabs.com praised the staff, programming, and food, awarding five stars for each and highlighting the on-site organic garden. Their review also underscored the value of the program's family component.

Both the staff members surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided five-star reviews of their employer in all categories listed, such as treatment effectiveness, exercise and leisure options, family participation, and affordability. One cited the high level of clinicians' training as a strength. "All Master's degree-licensed clinicians Nutritional, home-cooked meals Expressive arts therapy No negative experiences at this facility" G.C. wrote.

According to the facility's website, most insurance plans, including ones from Aetna, Cigna, and Blue Cross Blue Shield, are accepted. A form to begin verifying insurance coverage is available online. The two alumni, two staff members, and single loved one polled by Rehabs.com gave affordability an average of 4.8 stars.

Published on February 2018

I am a recovering addict and upon visiting the East sandwich location today I was almost driven to relapse by an older, sullen white woman with blond hair and glasses. The lack of compassion and perverse behavior was beyond unacceptable from someone in her position. To say I’m irate is an understatement and I will be disseminating my experience across the web and to everyone I can to spare them the exasperation and and waste of money on such an exorbitant and nefarious facility.

I've never had the opportunity to grow as much as I did at RC. The greatest part is that I've been offered this by staff I looked up to, could relate to, and admired. The staff engaged me right away, nurtured my strengths and encouraged me to identify and battle my weakness'. Most of these weakness' were directly and indirectly responsible for my addiction. From the bottom of my once dark cold heart, which you filled with caution and irrefutable love, I thank the people there for fixing me. To the staff: You were my spiritual guide, I feel I owe you so much for being so kind, welcoming, and engaging. You were my savior in tough times, encouraged me to grow, and have been my light in the darkest corners of my addiction, and carried me when I was too scared to move. You're the best. A guy I can look up to and have some laughs with. Thanks for the simple sayings. I needed those. Thanks for the dedication you've brought me further than any in the past. I owe my life to these people and I only wish everyone could have the opportunity to beat their addiction like I did here. I wish everyone could come here to find their own freedom

High turnover in support staff, some of support staff are veryunprofessional. Support staff get involved with clients on a personal level. Some have the clienst call them "Aunt" so and so.

In my opinion, Recovering Champions is a superior treatment program. The approach they use from across-the-board professional care, activities, individual treatment plans and nutrition far exceeds Hiwatch Farms in CT which is supposed to be a top notch treatment facility.

Programming, staff, meals, there is an organic garden on-site where the vegetables and fresh flowers are grown and used for clients I didn't find any weaknesses.The family component is crucial. the fact that they involve the families in the recovery process is great!

Everything was great.

One-on-one and group therapy sessions All Master's degree-licensed clinicians Nutritional, home-cooked meals Expressive arts therapy No negative experiences at this facility. At Recovering Champions, a whole new way of life is taught. Clients gain the skills to go back out into the world and not revert back to old habits.

Staff is attentive and caring. Food is amazing. Can't really think of any weaknesses. I was amazed at the level of care - the personal attention by the staff and the holistic approach that treated my mental, physical, and spiritual issues.

I loved the strong adherence to the 12 steps...i loved the one on one treatment i received as well as the work day rutteen they implored Few if any This program gave me my life back! I am now once again an active member of society and have over a year of sobriety. I never thought this was possible. I feal today that i have recovered the things that i have lost and am amazed by the gifts sobriety has given. This programs structure is strong and allowed me to easily transitions to the day to day work week..this program saved my life

Great to hear you're doing well, CM! It's news like this that makes us look forward to coming to work every day. Keep up the good work!

Photo of Clinical Services of Rhode Island, Portsmouth