River Oaks Hospital in New Orleans, LA

1525 River Oaks Road West
New Orleans LA 70123

River Oaks Hospital Philosophy

Trauma and compulsive behaviors treatment, Child and Adolescent Treatment Program

Separate Eating Disorder Treatment Center
Music and Dance Therapy
Treats Co-existing Disorders

ABOUT RIVER OAKS HOSPITAL

River Oaks Hospital, located just to the west of New Orleans in the Harahan community, is a 126-bed psychiatric facility that provides inpatient and outpatient-based treatment for adults and adolescents struggling with substance use disorders, mental illness, and co-occurring conditions.

Trauma-based disorders are a priority, an area of specialization offered by fewer than 25 percent of Louisiana’s 157 substance abuse treatment facilities, and the hospital is one of 10.2 percent of facilities in Louisiana to provide a specialized treatment track for current U.S. military members. The facility also provides medically-managed detox services.

Addiction treatment at River Oaks Hospital, according to the facility’s website, is based in 12-step principles, and patients can expect to participate in individual, group, and family therapy. Along with psychotherapeutic modalities, such as dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), and motivational enhancement therapy (MET), the hospital’s programming also incorporates art, music, movement, and other expressive therapies.

The hospital's intensive outpatient programs (IOP) and partial hospitalization programs (PHP) use the same practices as inpatient. In addition, the River Oaks Hospital Eating Disorders Treatment Center, touted on the facility’s website, provides a continuum of care, including dual diagnosis treatment, and offers a specialized track for men. In addition, the hospital offers Recovery Renewal, the facility's 28-day inpatient program for military members.

River Oaks Hospital employs a team of psychiatrists, addictionologists, registered nurses, social workers, certified substance abuse counselors, and what the facility's website reports is the largest staff of activity and expressive therapists in the area. Local universities also supply master’s-level interns.

River Oaks residents stay in five pavilions, each with game and lounge areas, a gym or designated workout area, and semi-private rooms with en-suite bathrooms. Website photos depict a comfortable yet clinical environment.

Of the 12 alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, nine were solidly positive, one mixed, and two negative. Reviewers tended to describe the treatment setting as encouraging or comfortable, and the staff as committed, understanding, and available. However, two alumni did issue caveats for some staff members, whom they characterized as unprofessional. The cost of treatment was another area two otherwise satisfied reviewers identified as a weakness. Detailed polling data was collected by Rehabs.com from between four and six alumni.

Staff experience/training: 4.5/5
Affordability: 3.8/5

Alumni also largely agreed on the amount of holistic treatments, characterizing both as somewhat limited in scope, despite the facility’s emphasis on expressive therapy. Dual diagnosis treatment received especially high ratings.

Counseling options: 3/5
Holistic offerings: 2.4/5

Food fared better than the facility’s policies regarding outside communication, and all six alumni polled agreed that River Oaks was well-maintained.

Connectivity: 3.2/5
Cleanliness: 4.3/5

Elsewhere, ratings and feedback for River Oaks Hospital followed similar trends. On Google reviews, 30 individuals contributed to an average rating of 3.3 out of five stars. Comments from alumni were split between about two-thirds who identified their experience (and specific staff) as the best they had experienced, while one-third felt treatment was not effective[1]

Three of four Yelp reviewers echoed a minority of Rehabs.com and Google review criticisms, citing the professionalism of staff and the facility's cleanliness as weaknesses.[2]

Feedback from nine loved ones received by Rehabs.com to date was generally in line with Google reviewers, split about two-to-one favorable to critical, with a couple of mixed opinions. Six friends and family members were polled more extensively, providing high ratings for staff, though some offered more critical commentary concerning the staff. One loved one perceived as staff “fresh out of school with NO experience.”

However, most agreed that preparation for aftercare was a strength of River Oaks Hospital. Two highlighted the printed resources, tools, and recommendations provided upon discharge. They also concurred that the hospital was well-maintained and treatment was affordable.

Cleanliness: 4.4/5

Data indicated moderate satisfaction with opportunities for family involvement.

Family participation: 3.7/5

Loved ones on Google reviews most frequently complained about poor communication or inability to connect with loved ones on the phone. Two described interactions with rude medical staff. Of the eight reviews left by loved ones on Google reviews, only two were positive.

River Oaks accepts most insurance and managed care plans, as well as Medicare, Louisiana’s Medicaid, and Tricare.

[1] https://goo.gl/fLQNwU
[2] https://www.yelp.com/biz/river-oaks-hospital-new-orleans-2

Published on March 2018

NA

I had a loved one there for 30 days she got liquor and I feel like she was using the whole time she was there I know for a fact she was having sex there in the men's dorm how did that happen I payed out of my pocket and she was doing more at this center then at home I did find a ministries center for her after she left there and payed out of pocket again got a whole lot better results I would not waste my time or money at river oaks unless you have time to waste I didn't

James

I was detoxing from benzodiazepines and opioids and River Oaks is one of the ONLY places to provide medical treatment to help you get through detoxing as pain free as possible!!! Some of the staff could have been more professional. If you're looking for a rehab facility that will actually give you Meds to ease your transition back to normal- This is the place to go.

Toni

Staff was a strength. Rules should be revised. Friendly

treat all ages but not singularly focused. This was a friend that went into the facility. It was a few years back. What I do know is that she hasn't backslid, and she's quite successful now, so they must have done what they were supposed to!

They had excellent counselors and an awesome minister, both are easy to talk to and express concerns with. This facility also has a great art and music program that is incorporated in treatment. Could allow certain privelages such as internet and cell phone use. This facility could also provide some personal hygiene prouducts to those who could not afford it. This facility does offer after care treatment. I over all had a good experience here for the most part. Some of the doctors are better than others but that's anywhere you go.

accommodating but rude staff, cheap

roxanne

I was in treatment in the Trauma unit for 4 weeks. The treatment team was outstanding. The caliber of staff was amazing and genuinely cared for each patient. I felt safe, secure, and knew I was in good hands. My therapist, Dr., and others were so instrumental in my recovery and healing. Thank you very much

DH

It fairly a-ok but I had no idea I had signed my rights over them which I was not informed by them about this. If you admit yourself in, you should be able admit yourself out when you feel you are ready, but this is not the case and it does not work that way. The doctor has to release you when he feels you are capable and ready to be outside the world. In my case I learned after the fact I can sign a 72 hour release with out the doctor consent which would have made me waited longer. That is the only thing I have against is that being able to leave when YOU feel you are ready.

joseph

This hospitial saved my life

S

He overdosed when he got out. No one every asked family to get involved in rehab.

Mds

Horrible

Paige

RO Unit 3 saved my life! I have been in close to 15 hospitalizations in 25 years, with little success, and believe me, I've tried hard to get well. No one can get well in 8 days (the usual psychiatric stay). I had been in therapy, and my therapist sent me to RO. I was placed on unit 3 because I am an alcoholic, addict, ED patient, DID patient, and a Compulsive Behavior patient. For the first time in my life, I flew to RO. I literally would be 6 feet under with a grieving partner and family. If you are not ready to work hard, don't go. If you are, then get ready to have the support you never even imagined exists! The staff, nurses, therapists, and doctors are second to none. I was there for almost two months, and I would do it again if I had to. I sat at a desk next to a window where I could see raccoons and their babies, rabbits, lizards, and Lindsey, the resident cat. In other words, I didn't feel like I was in a box. We were given time to go outside and even walk. I had some complex physical problems which were NEVER ignored. The fact that other patients had similar issues made my issues easier to accept and deal with. Please consider RO if you're dealing with trauma related issues as I was. I only recommend unit 3 because when my insurance put me on unit 6 for yes, 8 days, by mistake, that was a hell-hole!

This facility has been around for a long time. They encouraged all of us and never gave up. I recommend it to anyone in need of help. The staff was good, it was a clean facility and everything was reasonable.

They are very effective at treating the patient like an adult not with contempt and making the patient understand they are fully invested in their recovery. I was very impressed and pleased with how effective the staff was getting the patient to chase recovery as hard as he chased addiction.

Family planning, visiting hours, the program and treatments were all positive aspects of the facility.

Samantha

Certain staff members treated me like family. They talked with me one on one when I was struggling, even if they were not my counselor. Even when I wanted to give up I was given repeated methods to stay strong and distract me from myself. There was one doctor in particular who I felt was a jerk; I did not like that he had to be the psychiatrist. Also did not like that I could not switch counselors. I didn't like my counselor as much as I liked counselors that were not mine and I feel like I should have gotten a say in who got to treat me one on one and to where I felt that I got the most help. I was deep deep in an eating disorder and this place saved me. Without it I would not be alive today. They made me realize I did have a problem and the only way to be truly happy was to help myself.

Jenn

I have complex PTSD. This was a first for me. The staff know their stuff.

Not recommended- River Oaks' staff includes counselors fresh out of school with NO experience who don't have any idea what they should be doing in treating psych/ bi-polar/ addictions.

Mother of Former Patient

My young adult son was admitted to the Compulsive Behavior Unit. Insurance paid for him to stay a little over a month and I just know that he was quite distraught when he couldn't stay longer. My son reported to me often during his stay and gave a full report afterward. He has found quite a bit of healing at River Oaks and I am grateful for that. He enjoyed the groups and the creative classes. He said that the staff was good to him. He was comfortable there and didn't have any complaints. He picked up a lot of insight and tools that help him everyday. When he was discharged he was given a thick notebook of the methods and treatments, etc.... He did not rave about the food, but he has a pallet for his mom's great Italian cooking, so he didn't care as much for some of the Cajun style food that was served there. If insurance would allow I'd send him back there. I think he could have used a couple more weeks of therapy/treatment at least!

anonymous

Ridiculous amount of money for care received.

Kelly

This center I was in for a full month last year in 2013 around July and it was a godsend! I was suffering from everything possible. The treatment staff was increadable understandable they were available and sincerely sweet. The classes were although hard to make yourself go to they were a must to get better! I enjoyed the music therapy and the art therapy. They keep your days filled with classes and intervention so you aren\'t just sitting around feeling sorry for yourself not knowing what to do. You have a 4\" thick homework book filled with tons of information and practice stuff you can even take with you when you leave and reference to when times get rough. I wanted to cry the day I left. I truly grew to love these people as I felt they took a journey with me toward a healthier life. I thank each and every one of them for I feel as though going there was a blessing that not many have or will get to experience. My life has truly been changed for the better forever! Thank you for all that you do! I wish other treatment phacilities could be more like you guys.