Roxbury Treatment Center in Shippensburg, PA

Group Therapy
Individual Counseling
Psycho-education

ABOUT ROXBURY TREATMENT CENTER

Located in the south-central Pennsylvania town of Shippensburg, Roxbury Treatment Center specializes in treatment for substance use, psychiatric disorders, and co-occurring disorders. It is one of just 43 (8.1 percent) substance abuse treatment centers in the state where inpatient detox and short-term rehabilitation services are available for adults. An inpatient adolescent psychiatric program, an offering at only 123 (23.3 percent) Pennsylvania facilities, is offered here, in addition to two levels of outpatient care for both youth and adults.

The treatment center prioritizes individualized treatment for families and for clients struggling with addiction. Particular mention is made on the facility’s website of the honor of treating former and current military members and a dedicated treatment track is offered.

Admission to inpatient treatment is available 24/7 and begins with an evaluation of symptom and treatment histories and current circumstances. Clients may begin treatment with medically supervised detoxification or enter residential rehabilitation directly. A typical drug or alcohol rehab stay at Roxbury is 14 to 28 days and treatment is group-based.

Structured treatment programs also incorporate individual counseling, education, an introduction to 12-step concepts, medication management, psychiatric evaluation, music and art therapies, and extensive discharge planning with referrals for ongoing care.

The adolescent inpatient treatment program for youth ages 13 to 17 follows a similar structure that emphasizes individualized treatment plans and the incorporation of individual, group, and family counseling sessions along with recreational and relaxation therapies. As of 2016, 12.33 percent of adolescents ages 12 to 17 in Pennsylvania exhibited a major depressive episode that year.

Outpatient treatment programs are individualized for clients and typically last eight to 12 weeks, with once-a-week group sessions. The more intensive track lasts six weeks, with group therapy meetings three days a week. Random drug screenings are conducted during outpatient programs. All levels of care integrate co-occurring treatment for clients who have received a dual diagnosis.

Special family education sessions, which are separate from visitation with rehab residents, are offered monthly.

The treatment staff includes a board certified psychiatrist and mental health nurse, social workers, and master’s level therapists. In the state of Pennsylvania, 98.7 percent of substance abuse treatment centers have higher education requirements for staff. Additionally, the 12 Rehabs.com survey respondents at the time of this writing felt satisfied with the level of care.

Facility staff are experienced and well-trained: 4/5

Photographs on the facility’s website present a somewhat clinical indoor environment with simple furnishings and hospital-style nursing stations. However, many spaces, including the cafeteria, have bright windows and the building grounds provide several inviting-looking areas for reflection, conversation, and physical activity. A gazebo and benches occupy one courtyard, and both basketball and volleyball courts are on-site. The facility also has an indoor gym. Accommodations were rated highly amongst the 12 Rehabs.com survey respondents to date.

The facility is clean and well maintained: 4.2/5

Alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing were largely positive, and many individuals, including the six directly polled in this category, indicated that they would recommend this facility to others.

I would recommend this facility to a friend or family member who was considering treatment: 3.5/5

One former client who would not recommend this center gave favorable ratings for treatment effectiveness and staff qualifications, but wrote that “the place was filthy.” Another alum who noted that he would not recommend the facility did not cite a specific reason, but gave low, one-star ratings to holistic offerings and the level of family participation. In fact, these categories did not yield favorable results amongst the six alumni polled, either.

The facility has high quality holistic offerings: 2/5 stars

Family/loved ones are able to participate in treatment through facility programming: 3.2/5

Still, those who would recommend this facility left glowing commentary regarding their experiences. Alum S.G., upon noting that he has continued to maintain a positive relationship with his counselors post-treatment, exclaimed, "I've already recommended it to several... clean, structured and zero tolerance to error." Others listed "Staff experience," the "Good counselors," and "Alot of groups to keep you busy" as facility highlights. Indeed, counseling options did receive above-average ratings from the six alumni polled on this metric.

There are many counseling options to choose from depending on the client's preference: 3.5/5 stars

Reviews on secondary sites revealed extremely mixed feedback, such as on Google, where 28 users generated a 2.7-star average to date.[1] Negative comments referred to the staff as "lazy" and noted that counselors were unable to maintain authority. Positive comments, contrastingly, called the staff "kind" and "helpful." Citehealth yielded similarly opposite opinions from three individuals who provided three out of five stars, on average.[2] "The staff really cared about me and my personal situation. I was able to treat both my alcohol issues and depression issues here," one satisfied user wrote, while another felt "the over all medical care part is almost nonexistent."

Family members and friends at the time of this writing also provided mostly favorable feedback to Rehabs.com, and six surveyed loved ones indicated that they would recommend this facility.

I would recommend this facility to a friend or family member who was considering treatment: 4.3/5

While two reviewers complained about the reception staff and two others commented on short-staffing, another loved one described intake procedures as “quick” and wrote that it “was easy to get treatment.” Many respondents commented favorably upon the counseling staff in particular, one writing, "good Dr's on staff" and another noting, "good councelling."

Opportunities for family participation received mixed feedback, with one friend of a former client critiquing, "I was left out of the loop as to treatment progress because I wasn't a blood relation," and another loved one citing "Far away and limited access" as a facility weakness. Despite these written comments, the six loved ones polled in this category awarded a high rating.

Family/loved ones are able to participate in treatment through facility programming: 3.8/5

At the time of this writing, the sole staff member polled by Rehabs.com indicated a strong belief in the value of the facility and identified individual counseling as a strength, while also suggesting that more should be available.

Feedback from employees on secondary sites similarly noted the value of the treatment center. Three Glassdoor users gave an average 2.5-star rating, noting the high client-to-staff ratio.[3] On Indeed, where the average rating was three stars, 17 reviewers shared mixed commentary about enjoying their coworkers and the nature of their work, but not always feeling appreciated by management.[4]

Roxbury Treatment Center accepts self-pay, most commercial insurance plans, TRICARE, and Pennsylvania Managed Care. Additionally, financing is available through a partnership with M-Lend Financial. The 12 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date felt the center was affordable.

Treatment is affordable and/or payment plans, scholarships, or financial assistance are available: 4.1/5

[2] http://citehealth.com/rehab-centers/pennsylvania/cities/shippensburg-borough-in-cumberland-county/roxbury-treatment-center
[3] https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Roxbury-Treatment-Center-EI_IE1086591.11,35.htm
[4] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Roxbury-Treatment-Center/reviews

Published on April 2018

Waste of time. He also met many new friends who are also discharged and still using. Biggest Joke ever. Its more harm than good.

It's Been over a year and I still have nightmares of Roxbury. I came in with slight depression on my own non-smoker and I left angry with myself and I smoked now because that's all there is there. I had a fever for two days with chills and other symptoms and should of been in the hospital but you know what Roxbury did? Nothing... The doctor was rude and made me feel like less of a Person. Food was a cafeteria and it was equivalent to my elementary school food . Maybe because I'm from CT and we care about people here But Roxbury was a nightmare of poor food and horrible treatment. They do t Care about The patient just their money. You want results? Go anywhere else

As a mental health patient, i was routinely ignored or literally yelled at for my problems. They ignored every physical ailment i had,told myself (and others ) that we'd have longer stays or more intensive treatment to make us comply with whatever orders they gave. We were allowed only thirty minutes (since supervised )calls a week, and we're not allowed to receive any calls. There were wasps and roaches,a complete lack of competency on their end. Out took four days just to receive my clothes. I wouldn't wish that place on my worst enemy.

This is how it is. I don't know what heck my karma fell into to end up in Roxbury, but the hard time I served there has left me so upset. Any claim they make that they will help you with your issues is fraudulent. This is not a lie- there were PATIENTS running my group sessions because the staff couldn't be bothered to do it. No lie. I constantly feared for my safety.The psychiatrist determines your discharge date which must have to do with when your insurance stops paying, but because he doc wields the power you have to play the game- say whatever it takes to get yourself out of that place. I was cooped up with people who could not stop talking about their myriad overdosing stories... Not my situation at all, and rather uncomfortable if it's not your experience. Essentially, none of my "treatment" was about getting better. I can't even talk about the staff, the food, or the lack of cleanliness...Please, if you care at all about your friend or loved one, do not send them (or allow them to be sent) to Roxbury.

Dec 17 2012 was my last Drug & Drink This place saved my life and Gave me a Brand New ONE I am so ThankFull for this place and there Staff ! Today I was counting my blessing and realized that If I would have never entered these doors ! I would not be here to tell my story ! Thank You !! It works if you work it so work it cause your worth it !!!!

Good facility.

i learned at the "ROCK" stayed with me and I eventually used the knowledge as well as God to FULLY HEAL me from Alcohol Addiction.

This place was my 1st step in saving my life !! and thanks to everyone there that helped me to deal with life on lifes trems I am 19 mths Clean and SOBER !!

Amazing treatment plans and counsellors to help you. This facility was amazing. Treatment plans and counselling was effective and made me change my life around.

Strong history of success. It was far away and there was limited access. Reasonable insurance acceptance, treatment plans that work.

One of the best around. It was a little pricey. Had a indoor pool when i was there.

Quick intake procedures and was easy to get treatment. I was left out of the loop as to treatment progress because I wasn't a blood relation to the patient. Know what you are getting yourself into. The people are helpful and competent, but may not provide the array of services you're looking for.

Good councelling.

Inconsistent staff, some staff can wear plain wedding bands, others cant for no reason, unopened toiletries listed on things that are allowed, but staff gave issues when client requested these new/unopened products were brought by spouse, took 2 days for staff to go through very small bag of clothing so client stayed in paper clothes from ER, not enough staff to supervise basic shower/shaving for 4 days. Was supposed to be notified day after family meeting of when client would be discharged, never got a call from staff, found out discharge date from client during the every other day, 10 minute phone call. 45 minutes of visitation daily at evening hours only which make it inconvenient for people who work odd hours or live a distance away. Discharge planning seems to be a joke. Client went in voluntarily for 3 days, wasn't allowed to be discharged for 9 days. Staff sit in a common room outside the floor and speak openly about clients where family can hear. Visitation supervisors bring clients in late for visitation and then try to cut it short.

I. Was very happy with the staff. I need to come back. I messed up and started drinking again.

I would NEVER EVER go back or recommend this'd place to anyone. Staff did not have control over patients. Did not feel safe at all. Every single person I talked to said they hated this place and how backwards it was. I was admitted for 12 days and never once saw my assigned therapist. Some staff were very helpful but others were very rude. I hated being locked out of my room as well, even though I would be attending groups I had to have them unlock my door anytime I wanted to get anything out. The place was filthy. Not enough male staff members while out of control and disruptive patients. Group and duel therapy was a joke, Either no one talked or they only talked about narcotic use (not why i was there) and the main therapist was extremely rude to us as well. Only thing I liked about this place was the food was very good and they have activities for us to do. I saw four different doctors in 12 days while I was here, 5 including the MD.

To whom this concerns; There are holes in the drywall in the patient rooms and hall ways. The heating was inadequate in the community room and kitchen, including most patient rooms. In addition, I saw an enormous amount of BLACK mold was growing in the bathroom tiles on the floors throughout the facility, specifically around the windows in the halls and community room. Additionally in the Community room ceiling vents. There the cleanliness of the facility was I am sure below state health regulations. It was disgusting; paint was stripped from the walls everywhere throughout the facility. There was also mold and a heavy smell of mildew in the clothes washer/ laundry room. It was suggested that I use body wash as a means to mask the smell of mold and mildew on my laundry. There was always vulgar language being used. In addition there were lewd and crude drawings posted on the community hall bulletin board and on the white dry erase board in the community room. The staff was not in control the patients were. I would not recommend this facility to anyone for recovery, Dual Diagnosis rehabilitation. I am concerned for the future patients in this facility and their recovery. Anonymous

Did not like this facility.

Teaching an addict how to live in reality would be a good start. Only centering treatment on the 12 step program is not for everybody. Support, understanding and self reliance need to b taught... why you are an addict, dual-diagnosis patients need to know there is a connection called self-medicating, drugs and alcohol to relieve some unseen pain can be managed or as myself use my mania for good. I went back to school when I was 49 yrs old, u am studying human services, psychology and now biology to fulfill my understanding. Sober for 8 years going in, my major changed 2 times until I found my passion... I have started an organic farm business to deliver food to elderly, disabled or people unable to obtain the healthiest freshest foods of their local harvest. Next spring I will be working with 2 halfway houses planting a garden and teaching those in recovery and/or those transitioning from prison, how to grow, maintain, harvest and cook health and life back into their ailing minds and bodies. Sometimes bodies are balanced by turning soil, kneeling amongst flowers and vegetables, the beginning of nurturing yourself thus being grateful for the abundance of light, life, sustance and hopefully peace. At Roxbury being able to go outside and walk... think...all fresh foods may help more people 'recover and be healthier.

many weaknesses. would not return.

good Dr's on staff. receptionist very rude, long time for check out. good counceling provided.

Terrible doctorz

It was a great place; there were a lot of groups to keep you busy. However, they needed more extracurricular programs.

The program helped me stay clean for one year so far, but the place was filthy. The staff experience and food was excellent. However, there was an unfairness of how patients were treated.

I was a little hesitant at first but the staff and other patients really opened my eyes and I couldn't be happier now. The staff was great.

Very lazy, rude and inexperienced receptionists. There were good people there to assist.

I would have died without the help I received. Wanted to make calls daily, but was only allowed once every two days. In retrospect, this was probably a good thing because calls could get pretty emotional. It was a great experience.

This was the worst experience of my life. I was there for alcohol treatment and was roomed with a schizophrenic patient. I was afraid to sleep with her there. I was strip searched upon entry which was humiliating. All my toiletries were confiscated and we couldn't have alarm clocks.You couldn't return to your room during the day for any reason. A patient who was visibly ill was forced to attend all classes and meetings. Eventually, an ambulance came to take her to the hospital because enough of us complained that she was genuinely ill. The meetings were a joke. If you didn't like what was being served, you didn't eat. It was what I imagine prison is like. I had checked myself in, so I checked myself out early. They didn't want to let me leave.I stayed in touch with some of the people I met and every single person relapsed because their program is ineffective. By the way, a lot of the people there were there by court order. They didn't actually want help. I didn't belong with them and would never associate with those people outside of treatment. Do not go to this place. It won't work and you will feel like you're in prison. By the way, reading their website description of amenities, I can tell you that I never saw any of that stuff. I still have nightmares about being there.

Three to a room. Staff to patient ratio is inadequate. Not enough time spent with the psychiatrist. I could only get ibuprofen twice per day after filling out a form. I recently had surgery and was in constant pain while there. Food was good. I would not go back.

I have unfortunately had to be hospitalized prior to my confinement at Roxbury. I say "confinement" because it truly is like a jail. Although I have never been incarcerated, it is just like I would imagine and have seen on TV. No other psychiatric hospital I have ever been to can compare to my experience at Roxbury.Keep in mind, I was not there for a suicide attempt, just major depression. The visiting hours were a total of 45 minutes per day, which is very difficult when your spouse works odd hours. While a family member visits you, you sit at a table in a large room across from each other, again like a prison. You are allowed one 10 minute phone call every other day. This is very difficult when you need to communicate with family members to pay your bills and keep your outside life running. There were some very compassionate nurses and techs, but there were equally as many nasty and rude personnel. It overall was a horrible experience.

I believe that you will get out of Roxbury what you want to put into it. From my observation this is close to universally true. Oddly enough I found out later that my sponsor went to Roxbury as well.

They were very short staffed. There wasn't enough supervision. Not enough staff and the counseling was not effective.

Wouldn't go back.

Good food; a clean facility; stricter rules (hygiene items must be sealed at admission is one); smoking is allowed during breaks (outside); daily rec time; P.T. in mornings; military program for active and retired military. Also accept Tricare for military dependents. If a patient is serious about their recovery they can get all the tools they need to be successful.

He is aware of his addiction and choose not to drink after leaving.

I entered this detox/rehab by choice when I was 53 years old. I drank nearly every day for over 30 years - nearly reached death 2 weeks prior to rehab. This place saved my life. I'm still in touch with my counselor from Roxbury. She is a God Send.

After care consisted of IOP Individual AA/NA.

Although I relapsed what I learned at the "ROCK" stayed with me and I eventually used the knowledge as well as God to fully heal me from Alcohol Addiction.

This place was my 1st step in saving my life !! and thanks to everyone there that helped me to deal with life on life terms I am 19 months Clean and SOBER!