Rushford at Middletown in Middletown, CT

1250 Silver Street
Middletown CT 06457

Rushford at Middletown Philosophy

Rushford provides life-saving and life-changing treatment to thousands of children, adults and families each year. For more than three decades, our organization has been committed to delivering high quality behavioral healthcare services to those in need. We have collaborated with some of the nation's top universities including Yale, Darmouth and the University of Connecticut on research studies and other initiatives designed to improve treatment outcomes for individuals with mental health and addiction disorders.

Unlike many other addiction programs, Rushford is licensed by the State of Connecticut and accredited by the Joint Commission. To maintain our licensing and accreditation, we must always be striving to improve our performance, to raise the level of care we provide to our clients and to demonstrate accountability in the delivery of services.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

• Intensive Outpatient (IOP)
    Patients who undergo intensive outpatient treatment continue to live at home and sometimes go to school or work while participating in a highly structured treatment protocol that is focused on ending substance abuse. Programs vary in terms of how much treatment patients receive, how often and for how long. Some facilities design individualized intensive outpatient treatment programs.

Partial Hospitalization

Detoxification (ACE unit)

Inpatient Residential (ITP)

Stephen W. Larcen, Ph.D.

President & Natchaug Hospital and Senior Vice President

Dr. Larcen is the Senior Vice President of Hartford HealthCare’s Behavioral Health Network. He also serves as President of both Rushford and Natchaug Hospital. He has over 40 years of experience in behavioral health and health care management, including more than three years leading Windham Hospital in Willimantic. Among his previous positions, he served as vice president of operations of Cumberland Health Systems in Nashville, Tenn.; CEO of Northwest Medical Center in Knoxville, Tenn.; and executive director of United Services, a mental health center, in Dayville, Conn. He also worked as an organizational consultant in mergers and affiliations, organizational development, clinical and business operations and financial management for a wide range of health care facilities and organizations.

J. Craig Allen, M.D.

Medical Director

Dr. Jonathan Craig Allen received his Doctor of Medicine degree from Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit Michigan in 1989. He did his internship and General Psychiatry residency at the Tufts University Medical School / New England Medical Center and his Child and Adolescent Psychiatry training at Harvard University Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital program. Dr. Allen served as Medical Director of Psychiatric and Family Services at Franciscan Children's Hospital in Brighton, Mass from 1995 until 2003 when he moved to Connecticut to take the position of Unit Chief at Riverview Hospital for Children and Youth in Middletown, Conn. Dr. Allen has served as Medical Director at Rushford since 2005. Dr. Allen has held the title of Clinical Instructor in Psychiatry at Harvard University Medical School (1994–2003) and at Yale University Medical School (2003–2005). Currently Dr. Allen trains Residents from the Institute of Living in Addiction Psychiatry. Dr. Allen was seated on the SAMHSA Pharmacotherapy Expert Consensus Panel which developed Pharmacotherapy Principles for individuals with co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders published in 2012. Dr. Allen is certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in General and Adult Psychiatry and is ABPN certified in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, as well as being certified in Addiction Medicine by the American Board of Addiction Medicine (ABAM).

ABOUT RUSHFORD AT MIDDLETOWN

Located in a historic former inn alongside the Connecticut River about 20 minutes south of Hartford, Rushford at Middletown is a substance abuse treatment centers for adults. Operated by the Hartford HealthCare network, this facility offers inpatient residential, partial hospitalization (PHP), and intensive (IOP) outpatient programs. It is among the only 5 percent of inpatient programs in the state.

According to the facility's website, Rushford’s 42-bed residential treatment center features around-the-clock support from trained health professionals.

In addition to attending on- and off-site 12-step meetings, clients enrolled in Rushford’s gender-specific treatment take part in one-on-one counseling and group and family therapy. Prior to leaving, clients benefit from additional continuing care and discharge plans.

Featuring similar treatment services, a more intermediate residential treatment program (halfway house) works specifically for those transitioning back into the workforce. In the PHP track, designed as an alternative to inpatient care, adults have access to treatment more intensive than that of a traditional outpatient program.

The center's website notes Hartford HealthCare is led by an executive team that includes several medical doctors. To date, 11 individuals polled by Rehabs.com awarded high ratings to this center's staff, but lower ratings to counseling options.

Staff's level of training and experience: 4.2/5 stars
Counseling options: 3/5 stars

There is currently no information provided by the facility regarding its living arrangements and related offerings though the treatment center has 42 beds, marking a greater level of availability than the national average of 18 clients in a residential treatment facility at a given time. The 11 individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter gave the facility above-average ratings for its accommodations.

Cleanliness: 3.7/5 stars

The more than 15 alumni polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided mixed feedback.

On the positive end, alumni applauded the great counselors and doctors as well as the welcoming treatment environment. “I was well taken care of, family was included and I got to be heard with judgement,” an anonymous reviewer wrote.

Family Participation: 3.5/5 stars
Connectivity: 3.5/5 stars

Melissa, who came to the facility solely to detox, appreciated that some of the nurses were also in recovery themselves, while a third alum referred to Rushford at Middletown as a “great clean place with many options for aftercare.”

Still, complaints were prominent. Together, the alumni who left negative reviews described a “poorly” run facility (one found the building itself “old” and in “not great condition”) with a staff that were “unapologetic and rude.” Though he admitted to having gained some coping skills, former client Benjamin felt the facility “overwhelmed due to the fact it was a state run program.” C.P., another dissatisfied reviewer, added that it was a waste of time and money. Based on survey results from four of these alumni, extracurricular activities received the lowest ratings.

Holistic offerings: 1.8/5 stars

Five Google users to date provided a high, average rating of 4.2 out of five stars.[1] "The in patient program is phenomenal and will really give the the tools to lay a solid ground/foundation for your recovery," T.B. representatively wrote.

Like alumni, reviews by loved ones were split; four shared positive interactions with the facility, and five had mediocre-to-negative experiences.

Of those polled on the matter, seven loved ones - like alumni - gave low average ratings to extracurricular activities and counseling options.

Holistic offerings: 2.5/5 stars

Despite positive ratings, loved ones reported targeted complaints. Lynn, for example, noted a high staff turnover alongside outdated treatment modalities. Another reviewer, an anonymous sibling of an alum, wrote “staff was not well-trained” and that the facility “discharged my brother too soon,” the latter difficulty apparently arising from the insurance company’s unwillingness to pay.

A third anonymous Rehabs.com survey respondent reported a lack of opportunities to connect with families, a criticism backed up by the anonymous sibling who called the family group night “interesting and fun,” but noted, “Would have liked to see more family engagement opportunities.” Overall, family members and friends tended to agree that they would recommend this facility to others.

Would recommend: 3.6/5

As with alumni and loved ones, the two staff members surveyed by Rehabs.com a the time of this writing shared mixed experiences.

One of these two, a former management professional, expressed concern over how the facility uses admission and discharge criteria, as well as the individualized treatment plans, and aftercare planning. “They have a lack of consistency used for admission and discharge criteria,” she explained.

The other individual, while they claiming to “have not worked there in over 7 years,” referred to the staff as compassionate, but also felt the facility suffered from high turnover rates.

According to the center's website, Rushford at Middletown accepts private insurance plans and offers financial assistance, including some free and discounted care, for the uninsured and under-insured. The 11 Rehabs.com survey respondents to date provided above-average ratings for the center's treatment and programming costs.

Affordability: 3.7/5 stars

Published on December 2018

Rushford at middletown did help with my treatment. But ,because I have private insurance I was discharged too soon, after only 16 days. I have mixed feeling on their program and staff. They seem to be in constant state of change . A lot of program and staff changes. I got more help from the other in-patient residents than I got from staff.

Management needs more training in boundaries to teach staff the same. Interns are not treated with respect. Very judgmental.

Intake took a while but the people doing the intake were very kind and respectful. Once in the unit I had no orientation my room mate had to show me where everything was. I had little to no contact with the techs behind the desk. The nursing staff was wonderful especially. I do believe they are concerned about your medical detox. The food was great and the kitchen made me feel instantly better with her positive attitude. Heres the downside place is filthy, bathroom near our room literally had no toilet paper or paper towels for 2 days. Bugs crawling around the floor in my room. When we told the tech she said she had to put a work order in?????? For toilet paper? GROSS. I did absolutely nothing in 5 days except watch movies that the guys picked out, read my book and slept. No meetings, no groups nothing! I was looking for the Mariott or anything but basic amenities should be available considering what Is charged per day which I believe is in the thousands. When I was discharged they gave me everything that was locked up except my prescribed medication. All in all the people were decent and I am currently sober and feel better.

Very basic. Not enough personal counseling. Local. lack of long-term care and career training.

My son was treated for alcohol abuse many years ago, it was not the right treatment for him. They do provide mental health services, addiction services that our society has a great need. no complaints, just was not the right treatment for our son.

very hands on seeking to identify the root of the addiction vs overall addition treatment. Dedication.

While treatment is beneficial I must let you know check in took me 3 hours. You have to give up alll your personal belongings. You have to strip and get a skin test. Your given a pull up to cover your private areas so a nurse can examine you. Bathrooms are moldy and rooms suck. There are no activities. You sit in a room and watch a tiny TV all day with all substance abuse people and listen to their negative stories all day. Doesn’t help you with recovery it just depresses you. If this is something you can handle for detox go for it. I checked out early.. Oh and the chairs in the lounge are extremely old and uncomfortable. Good luck

Thought I went to a safe place. I thought that I was at a place where people cared and we're looking out for me. I was open and honest about my alcoholism. And well I was very heavily medicated one of the clinicians was asking me personal questions that had absolutely nothing to do with me or my recovery. I had discovered that the same clinician had done the same thing to another patient and called Department of Children and Families on her. The clinician, then after the interview says that I never had to answer any questions that I didn't feel comfortable answering. She did not state that at first, I was heavily medicated, and she l Told me that the information she was gathering was necessary for a referral to an inpatient program.

Great Place, because they take care of their Patients very well. (Mind Body and Soul).

I was only in detox for a day, and that day makes me never want to drink EVER again just so I don't have to go back there … It was so poorly ran, staff was careless and rude...when they brought me into the office to ask me what I wanted to do after detox the woman didn't even know what I was in there for... not a professional atmosphere whatsoever... and also it's ridiculous you can't bring your own blankets, they give you a towel for a blanket.. overall horrible experience, leaders were extremely rude to patients and nurses, it's just a horrible disgusting atmosphere to be in

Outpatient is a joke. IM just going to complain to my insurance company to pay them less or not at all. Freaking waste of time and money.

I usually dont even bother with reviews. Unless something is really wrong I dont bother or give a good review. But with this place I looked for a place to give a review because my experience was terrible. Inpatient and detox service may be better, but outpatient services stunk. In the 6 to 8 months that dragged out, all that was every stressed was to go to meetings and find a sponsor. Why I need 8 months of that makes no sense. Its a rehab. Have meeting there. They dont have to be serviced by outside members doing H &I. IN the time I went I filled out surveys of how I was feeling, the class sizes were too much for counselors and in the time I was there I had 5 different counselors, because the turn over rate is high due to poor management and poor pay. Getting discharged from outpatient took 6 phone calls and a day off from work so I could drive there. They told me my certificate and doctor note for treatment were there. Again a 5 min visit turned into and hour where no one had a clue what was going on. The kicker is getting told " not everyone is perfect like you, or it is what you make of it". Its an excuse for how unorganized and stinky your program is. Im not perfect I can go to AA for free without the aggregation. Dear my insurance company. Rushford detox is worth paying for. The rest, dont waste your time or money. . They stressed accountability. IM a computer network technician., I go out and I MAKE SURE I FIX YOUR ISSUE AND AM ACCOUNTABLE. Not here. This place is a joke.

not enough counselors, little control of groups, very inconsistent rules and enforcement of rules. Counselors did not have a lot of experience. Building is old and not great condition.

The system doesn't make it easy for those wanting to help themselves. Also, it depends on who you talk to, what the rules are, availability, etc. We need more facilities to treat those addicted, instead of sending them to jail, where they won't get help!

Great counselors. Good group sessions, Not enough counselors, great place Great but a little insurance centric

High staff turnover. Med management is weak. The place has seen its better days. It uses out dated treatment modalities

Clean food support Too many groups no free time A great clean place with many options for aftercare

I was just there for alcohol detox. It was affordable, they were kind to me, and they made me comfortable. Nothing fancy (I.e. No holistic treatments like yoga), rather boring They were very helpful in making sure my state health insurance was active. Many of the nurses are recovering addicts themselves - I appreciated their understanding

supportive rude staff more rewards

They had great group meetings Not enough concelers They spend Alcott of time trying to figure out your past and how it affected your life ..

Short term, reasonably effective Bare bones, too much focus on 12-step Help was avaliable when loved one needed it, but wasd only a first step.

The wait time was 6+ hours. I know the staff was doing the best they could dealing with the incoming patients, insurance, etc.,...more staff means more cost for the patient too so I understand and, in a weird sort of way proves you really want to get better. I got to know some of the people I would be staying with which is a plus going into a great unknown. I strongly disagree with the lack of privacy...the incoming staff should be separated. I would almost go so far as to say, the stuff they were talking about was loud enough for all the hear! I thought that violated the right to privacy laws and was the very worse thing I remember. Knowing the average wait time they could move the incoming staff into one of the two side offices (privacy) and make the waiting room bigger....and provide more comfortable seating...just a one time investment and not looking for luxury...trying sitting 5+ hours in a dinner chair, cramped in that small area with 6-7 other people? In my -5-6 hours I never saw both those offices occupied at the same time and one was only open for a very short period...the other maybe 2-3 hours. I first checked in around 11AM on a weekday so they should have been at full-staff. Once you get pass the doors the place is great. I really felt very comfortable. I shared a room with 3 people with beds separated by curtains which provided enough privacy. Beds were good enough...no complaints..can't expect a Tempur-Pedic...lol. Big living room with plenty of couches and comfortable seats. Kitchen was always stocked with milk, juices and caffeine-free drinks (hot/cold). Healthy snack food was almost always available...cereal, PBJs, etc. Three square meals a day and the food was good to pretty good, not great and don't expect a Rib-eye steak 8^) They also bring out a night time snack...rotating between sandwiches (pretty bland, but that's what mustard and mayo are for..lol), Smartfood, granola bars...and always have a variety of fruit. No worries about being hungry! One of the most important aspects is the inside staff. Most, if not all of the main staff that stays on the floor 24/7 have been in your shoes so they understand, are not judgmental and make the stay even a little easier. On good weather days we were aloud to go outside...what a relief from the walls, even if it was only an hour every other day or so. The doctors and the front office staff also seemed understaffed which is a shame because it seemed to me that some people were pushed through...hospitals do this too All in all, I would definitely recommend this place

I entered the waiting area at 10:15 am and I was not brought to the floor until after 7:00 pm. I waited not getting up or leaving the room because we were told if we stepped out of the door we would lose our place, this after 7 hours of waiting. I was second to last finally, could have gone up at 6:50, but i chose to wait for an older lady who was dead last, an obviously afraid, then together we went up well after 7:00 pm!!!!! The staff were unapologetic and rude.

Came in today and waited in the admission office. A male and female employee were behind the desk and were obviously speculating about a client. There were looks, whispering and then the male showed the female on the computer what the lady was there for. NOT OKAY! Entire time we were waiting, staff was unprofessional, having personal conversations etc and not once interacting or even greeting anyone waiting! The clients are there for upsetting and life changing challenges and it was quite clear nobody really cared!!!! I am a HHC employee and feel that all HHC facilities should uphold upmost respect of their clients.

There was a very long intake wait.

They had great doctors and a nice staff.

I was well taken care of, family was included and I got to be heard without judgement. The one-on-one sessions were great. I was not pleased with the no smoking rule.

It was easy to get into treatment, although it was court ordered. My brother would have liked to have gotten additional treatment there, but insurance would not cover it. However, the staff was not well-trained, they discharged my brother too soon. The family group night was interesting and fun..would have liked to see more family engagement opportunities.

My boyfriend only went to detox. He seemed to be doing quite well. He never complained about anything except other patients. He discharged himself and immediately went back into his old ways. We're no longer together. I had really hoped this place would work out for him. This was our last shot at making the relationship work. Unfortunately I was the only one who did. Im sure that Rushford is a great place. My "boyfriend" still chose drugs over his family but thats his decision, not theirs. It was worth a shot.

I thought this was a great facility. They just need more holistic offerings.

The staff was not very supportive and they needed better holistic offerings.

This facility helped give some tools to help me cope with my new existence but I feel like they where overwhelmed due to the fact it was a state run program. Most people where only there due to court mandate, not their own choice.

Care concerns include: use of admission and discharge criteria, individualized treatment plans, and aftercare planning. They have a lack of consistency used for admission and discharge criteria.

I have not worked there in over 7 years. When I did work there, I thought that overall the leaders did a wonderful job.

There was limited connectivity. This facility seemed to be well run, the star seemed to be good. Hard to really evaluate because of limited contact.

Their holistic and exercise opportunities need to be expanded.