Sage Prairie in Burnsville, MN

13005 County Road 5
Burnsville MN 55337

Sage Prairie Philosophy

We cannot judge our clients for their disease, nor their path to recovery.

• Client & Family Support Groups
    Group therapy is a vital component of addiction recovery treatment, considered as important and effective (sometimes even more so) than individual therapy. Benefits include reducing isolation and loneliness and providing the opportunity to learn from others in recovery. In the addiction setting, group therapy is run by trained professionals who guide participants toward a shared goal of recovery.

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
    The focus of cognitive behavioral therapy (also called CBT) is helping people to understand the thoughts and emotions that underlie their addiction with the goal of learning new, healthier and more productive ways to understand and express themselves.

Mindfulness based relapse prevention

Individual and Executive Program Available

Trauma Sensitive

Katie Pylkas-Blue, RN

Treatment Director / Drug and Alcohol Counselor

Katie Pylkas-Blue is a Registered Nurse specializing in Addiction Medicine. Currently, Katie serves as the Director of Treatment Services and as a Drug and Alcohol Counselor for Sage Prairie Recovery. Known for her dedication to helping alcoholics and drug addicts to recovery, Katie has volunteered countless hours to this cause through various organizations.

Jill Carlson, LPCC

Drug and Alcohol Counselor Supervisor

Jill earned her Master’s Degree from the Adler Graduate School. She has 5+ years of experience in behavioral services and currently consults for chemical dependency programs and manages a small private practice. Prior to joining Sage Prairie, she has worked in health insurance administration and community-based social services.

ABOUT SAGE PRAIRIE

Sage Prairie prides itself on operating with progressive values and being LGBT-friendly. Located in the southern Twin Cities town of Burnsville, Minn., the facility specializes in individualized outpatient treatment for adults who struggle with addiction and, in particular, with chronic relapse. Medication-assisted therapy is provided for chemical dependency as well as medication management for chronic pain.

While this facility emphasizes that its treatment programs are highly individualized for each client, its website also points out that cognitive behavioral therapy provides a common foundational approach. Clients can work with staff members to connect with a support system, which may include Alcoholics or Narcotics Anonymous, a church, or other group, but 12-step concepts are not integrated into Sage Brush programming.

Outpatient treatment consists of a three-hour afternoon or evening session, one to three times a week. Sessions include trauma-sensitive individual and group counseling, recovery coaching, substance use education, and consultation with psychiatrists or clergy as needed. Relapse prevention programming is mindfulness-based.

Additional services include family support groups and drug screening, and some outpatient clients may opt for an executive track.

The treatment team includes a medical doctor board certified in addiction medicine, registered nurses, master's level therapists, and licensed addiction counselors. The staff-to-client ration is 1:8, according to information provided by the facility to Rehabs.com.

Of the four reviews submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, three were positive. One alum indicated in survey responses that they would recommend the program and had a strong counselor. However, they provided somewhat weak ratings for the level of staff training and experience and the flexibility of choosing from multiple approaches to counseling. Two other reviewers praised the staff in general and three awarded perfect five-star ratings for the overall effectiveness of treatment.

Secondary review sites yielded overwhelmingly positive feedback. Two Google reviews offered ratings of four and five stars out of five, respectively. One alum described the staff as sincere, dedicated, and professional.[1]

On the facility's official Facebook review page, which staff members can monitor, seven alumni gave an average rating of 4.9 stars out of five. A few referenced extra efforts by staff members to help them in recovery.[2]

The single available review from a loved one was posted on Facebook, and was very negative. Amanda, whose friend attended the facility, complained of inconsistencies in staff qualifications and problems with confidentiality. It should be noted that these criticisms are not reflected in the remainder of Sage Prairie’s review coverage and that one alum responded with a comment that the facility had saved his life.

Treatment costs $140/day. Sage Prairie is in-network with Cigna, Medica/Optum/UBH, Health Partners, Preferred One, and UCare, and out-of-network with Blue Cross Blue Shield. Some employee-based plans and state funding are accepted, and a sliding fee scale for uninsured clients is available.

This center also conducts Rule 25 assessments to determine whether an individual may receive public funding for substance abuse treatment.

[1] https://goo.gl/qjZkl7
[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/sageprairierecovery/reviews/?ref=page_internal

Published on February 2018

K.A.

Negative. Judgmental. Petty.

KK

Be careful, major judgement and lack of integrity, dishonest records

CP

Overall best experience in treatment ever!!!

Jw

Different style they know what it's about. They lived it. Knowledgeable counsekors

Thomas

PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL OF THIS PLACE. I went in for Alcohol assessment that was mandated by the state due to a B card Violation. This is not a DWI, DUI or anything other than having one drink. In meeting with the doctor, she had me fill out a whole bunch of documents. She even asked me to fill out a release of information in advance just so that I did not have to come back to do so when her report was completed. I was extremely hesitant. However, she assured me she would never release my information without my prior approval. Again, I was very hesitant to sign the document but she assured me over and over that she would NEVER submit my information without my prior approval so I did sign it. When my report came back it came back with no concern for alcohol dependency but suggested I take a Mental Health evaluation. I immediately called Sage Prairie to check what this was about. In essence they are not wanting to accept responsibility for their report and want to push it off on someone else. I them told them that I did not approve of their decision and did not want them to use that report that I would go elsewhere. Shortly after stating that I received a call, he told me that he had a responsibility to send the report in to the DMV and either I accepted the report or he would submit another report. I was essentially being held hostage by this organization. It was either I accept this report or he would submit something derogatory. So I agreed to have him submit this. When I went to visit several Mental health professionals they all asked what Kind of assessment Sage Prairie wanted? This way they could address the particular concerns that Sage had. So I contacted Sage and they would not give me a specific answer. They do this so that the mental health professional has to conduct a whole bunch of tests in order to protect themselves. When I finally selected the professional to conduct the Mental health assessment the first question out of their mouth is who are these people and what credentials do they have to make a recommendation that I needed a Mental health assessment? He even attempted to call them several times and they did not return his call. This place is very unprofessional. PEOPLE please be careful with this organization.

Rob

I would definitely NOT recommend this facility for relapse prevention.I can’t comment on their other programs as I was there for relapse prevention.To start the director conducts herself as a tyrant.She made erroneous accusations directed at me which she said were based on her personal past experience with DWI. To quote her “I know what your doing because I did the same thing when I got a DWI”. I was dumbfounded as I could not understand how any of her past experience related to me and why I was there.Unfortunately for me she had her mind made up as to what was true and what was false and refused to to be reasonable.When I attempted to question her findings she became irritated raising her voice and cursing.Ofcourse not in a vulgar fashion but cursing no the less.She started stating falsehoods,to put it nicely,and became manipulative from that point on.I had/have evidence that corroborated the information I was trying to convey which she said she would entertain when next we met.Fastforward to that day three classes later I approached her with the information proving my innocence from her false accusations.She refused to even look over the information instead informed me she was discharging me from her program. Now mind you at the point of disagreement I had over 48hrs of treatment done.Once I requested my completion certificate ,as I had met my required treatment hours,is when I became a problem to the director/owner/person being paid for each class I attend.You can make your own inference on that little bit of my experience there.Now to speak on a positive experience I had while attending their program.The gentleman who was teaching the class I attended appeared knowledgeable and sincere.I actually did take something away from his teachings.But make no mistakes every staff member there is a puppet to the director.In closing my advice would be not to seek any services there but if your considering it then pay a visit during class hours and speak to some patients outside about there experiences.It could save you a lot of trouble.

Michael

They are so quick to write you a prescription so they don't have to do real work. Disturbing how they treat clients. They claim they care than they hold it over your head. Basically operate as drug dealers & act like they are the only real addiction specialists. This is a farce folks & it's really about them and damage control. This place is disfunctional ! You can do better some where else. Avoid this place !

The lead counselor was great, but I did not like the rest of the facility.

EF

Great staff! Made treatment fun and easy!

KPB