Santa Monica House in Omaha, NE

401 S 39th St
Omaha NE 68131

Santa Monica House Philosophy

ABOUT SANTA MONICA HOUSE

The first halfway house for women in Omaha, Neb., Santa Monica House has treated women struggling with substance abuse, co-dependency, and sex addiction since 1972. Today, the CARF-accredited halfway house offers women a supportive, communal environment. This is one of the state's only 46 (33.8 percent) treatment facilities with services exclusively for women. Detox services are not available.

Santa Monica House is run as a “family-style” household in which residents are assigned daily chores, such as cooking and cleaning, and obtain and maintain employment over the course of their long-term stay. Beyond the practical skills gained, these requirements help women build self-esteem and a foundation for personal responsibility. The length of stay is individualized, though women typically complete treatment in six to 12 months.

The program is holistic and 12-step based. The halfway house also incorporates evidence-based practices such as dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), as well as relapse prevention education and female-specific counseling to address trauma. Each week, women attend group counseling and one-on-one therapy sessions and topical lectures focused on budgeting, nutrition, and more. Holistic therapies include meditation, art therapy, and spirituality groups.

Upon graduation, women are encouraged to attend alumni groups, fundraisers, and other social activities through the program’s Alumni Association. Family education sessions are also available for loved ones on a regular basis.

For those with co-occurring physical or mental health disorders, the halfway house will arrange proper medical and psychiatric treatment with one of its local partnering agencies.

There is currently no information provided on the facility's website regarding its treatment staff; however two Rehabs.com survey respondents awarded the halfway house four or more stars out of five for the amount of staff support, while the third alum gave four stars for the staff’s level of training and experience.

The halfway house is set inside a modest, Victorian-style house on a residential street in Omaha. The facility is described on its website as "safe" and "secure." Women are encouraged to participate in neighborhood events.

The three alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing generally praised the program. Two alumni surveyed on this metric felt the program gave them the proper tools to facilitate recovery, and both rated the overall quality of group counseling five out of five stars. However, two of the three alumni felt the program's holistic offerings were lacking with one- and two-star ratings, while the third gave five stars for this metric.

In commentary, alumni generally praised staff and the quality of treatment. "Very focused on each persons individuality needs," Dawn wrote, while A.L. described the "good counselors." The third alum, Faustina, described the program as "life-changing."

For one former client, however, the responsibilities of work and treatment were overwhelming. A.L. admitted her six-month stay in the program was “exhausting” in her Rehabs.com survey. "Expected to work full time. No personal vehicle allowed. Had to use public transportation which is miserable in this city. Prepare all meals. AA every day. Walked miles," she wrote.

In addition to the three alumni reviews on Rehabs.com, 15 reviewers rated Santa Monica an average of 4.9 out of five stars on the facility's Facebook page, which it can manage.[1] To date, one Google reviewer also provided a high rating of five out of five stars, but left no further commentary.[2]

There is currently no information provided by the halfway house regarding its treatment costs, yet it does accept donations through a link on its website. The single alum to provide feedback on the facility's affordability provided a perfect five-star rating.

[1] https://www.facebook.com/pg/SantaMonicaHouse/reviews/

Published on October 2018

I was older than the other clients so not close "friends". Pretty sure there is still a weekly alumni group (aftercare). Strengths: good counselors. Weaknesses: Expected to work full time. No personal vehicle allowed. Had to use public transportation which is miserable in this city. Prepare all meals. AA every day. Walked miles. Group twice per week more like a witch hunt. 6 month residential program. Exhausting.

It was an all woman treatment/halfway house, very focused on each persons individuality needs, plus we had to learn to take care of our selves financially with outside help or ,transportation,as soon as we found a job we had to pay rent, we had different chores each,it week it was more like we were a big family!

This was my second time in treatment. I went when I was 19 but just to get off crack. I doubted treatment centers could helpful to me but I went down a dark dark path until I surrendered and went to St. Moinica's. I have to admit I thought I was crazy to admit myself but it was better than how I was living before I went. I am going on 9 months sober. You learn a lot about yourself. and sobriety is all on what you want in life. At least that's what I got out of treatment. Life changing is all I can say about St. Monica's