Sierra Tucson

39580 South Lago Del Oro Parkway, Tucson, Arizona, 85739

3.9

About the Facility

Medication Management

When individuals are struggling with the presence of a co-occurring disorder in addition to a chemical dependency problem, the implementation of psychotropic medications may be incorporated into their overall plan of care. The need for such medications, however, is always determined on a case-by-case basis. Patients who are engaged in the Addictions and Co-Occurring Disorder Program will have the opportunity to meet with either a psychiatrist or qualified physician at a minimum of once per week so that any medications that have been prescribed can be monitored for therapeutic effectiveness and any necessary changes can be made.

Group Therapy

At the time that patients are admitted into the Addictions and Co-Occurring Disorder Program, they are assigned to a small group of peers, of whom are engaged in the same program. This group will meet together for therapy sessions four times per week. In addition to serving as a general process group, topics that are covered during these group sessions may include, but are not limited to:

• Adventure Therapy
  • Equine Therapy
  • Expressive Art Therapy
Bill Anderson, LMSW, LCSW

Bill Anderson, LMSW, LCSW

Chief Executive Officer

In celebrating over 20 years industry experience, Bill Anderson’s longstanding career in behavioral health began while he was simultaneously employed at an emergency shelter for teenagers and an acute day treatment program for mental health. Upon achieving his licensure as an LMSW, Bill focused his specialty in the addictions field working for MARR, Inc., a 90-day, long-term residential addiction treatment program in Atlanta, GA. Initially he held a position as Case Manager and soon advanced to become a Primary Therapist. During his tenure at MARR, Inc., Bill also obtained his licensure as an LCSW and was respectfully promoted to Director of Admissions. After developing a strong foundation for the admissions department, Bill advanced into leadership as Business Development Director and structured a team to build strong referral relations. Bill’s tenure with MARR, Inc. lasted 15 years prior to accepting a new role with Acadia Healthcare as CEO of Blue Ridge Mountain Treatment Center in Atlanta.

Show Bio
Michael V. Genovese, MD, JD

Michael V. Genovese, MD, JD

Chief Medical Officer

Show Bio

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT SIERRA TUCSON

Located in Tucson, Ariz., Sierra Tucson provides dual diagnosis treatment to individuals struggling with alcohol or drug addiction as well as depression, anxiety, and eating disorders. The facility is one of the 201 (58.9 percent) treatment facilities in the state to offer this type of dual diagnosis programming track. Along with residential care, the facility also offers on-site detoxification, placing the facility among the 20 (5.9 percent) of facilities in the state offering this service.

During intake, each client receives physical, psychiatric, and psychological evaluations, and medical staff arrange for on-site detox and medication management as needed. Every plan of treatment incorporates some form of education, evidence-based therapeutic practices, and mind-body integrated therapy.

The facility is one of 2131 (62.5 percent) in the state that utilizes dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and trauma-specific modalities, including eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) and somatic experiencing, and biofeedback sessions.

In addition to traditional therapies, the facility also offers a range of holistic therapies, including equine-assisted therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic services, therapeutic massage, and shiatsu. Clients may also be introduced to both traditional 12-step meetings and the SMART Recovery program.

Family members are encouraged to participate in a four-day family program during their loved one’s stay, and continuing care is offered to clients for a year following their treatment.

According to the facility’s website, the treatment team is comprised of physicians, social workers, counselors, and nurses. Some staff members are also trained in naturopathic medicine. To date, the 13 individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter provided high average ratings for the center's staff.

Staff Experience and Training: 3.9/5

The rehab center and on-site Desert Flower Hospital are set on 160 acres of Arizona desert with views of the Santa Catalina Mountains and scenic walking trails. Personalized nutrition plans are offered, and residents share semi-private rooms, although single rooms may be available in some circumstances. Clients have access to an on-site climbing wall, ropes course, and yoga studio To date, the 13 individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter praised the quality of the facilities.

Exercise and Leisure: 4.5/5
Cleanliness: 4.4/5

Data collected by Rehabs.com indicated very strong alumni satisfaction with the facility and in particular with living arrangements, staff, and the offering of diverse holistic therapies. Close to 80 percent of the 22 surveyed alumni indicated that they would recommend Sierra Tucson to others. The six former clients who were polled on specific categories produced high average ratings for a number of metrics.

Family Participation: 4.3/5
Would Recommend: 4/5
Holistic Offerings: 4/5

However, some alumni felt the facility lacked adequate follow-up and aftercare and served too many patients, and one alum wrote anonymously, “The staff was caring and loving. However, it was not always the cleanest.” Another alum added: "Very professional, safe enviroment. Poor after care options. Sierra Tuscon was a special place that enabled me to maintain sobriety."

Feedback tended to be a bit more mixed on secondary sites, with 82 reviewers producing a 3.4 out of five-star average rating on Google to date.[1] Several former clients credited the center with their sobriety and praised the staff for being knowledgeable and kind. Other dissatisfied alumni, however, felt the staff were unprofessional, unfair, and that they did not receive the services that were advertised by this facility.

A lower average rating of just 2.5 out of five stars was based on 56 Yelp reviews at the time of this writing, with similarly noted praises and concerns.[2]

The ten loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date also offered generally positive reviews for the facility. Seven loved ones surveyed on specific metrics offered above-average ratings for the facility's programming and the level of family involvement. "Involvement of family," one loved one cited as a center strength. "Very holistic, strong based facilities," another added, with a third agreeing and describing the facility as "Multi- modal, professional, well maintained."

Would Recommend: 4.1/5
Family Participation: 3.9/5
Counseling Options: 3.6/5

All three current or former employees polled recommended Sierra Tucson, but two identified financing and costs as a weakness. The third cited only strengths, writing, "Atmosphere, Professionalism, Food and nutrition," and providing five-star ratings for the staff's level of experience and training.

Feedback from current and former staffers at this facility was mixed on Indeed at the time of this writing, indicated by a three out of five-star average rating from 35 individuals.[3] "Most of the staff are great- knowledgeable and friendly and work really well with the patients," one representative positive reviewer wrote. However, others commented on mismanagement and disorganization.

According to the facility, treatment costs $49,000 per month, or $1,633 per day, and clients may be able to apply out-of-network insurance coverage to help cover costs. A majority of reviewers commented on the facility’s high cost. A little under half of these concluded that the experience was worth its cost, while the rest disagreed, some claiming the facility was too motivated by finances.

Representing the former perspective, one alum wrote: “Super place just very expensive...Worth the cost because treatment was successful.” The 11 individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the center's affordability provided below-average ratings.

Affordability: 2.4/5

CONCLUSION

In July 2016, the Arizona Daily Star reported that the facility was fined by the state for deficiencies in its acute psychiatric services. Since 2011, five male patients died while under care at the facility. At the time of the fine, the state found that sufficient improvements had been made to continue the program’s licensing. A statement from the facility included in the Star article emphasized its history of providing “clinical excellence and care” to clients and a commitment to continuous training and reviews.

[2] https://www.yelp.com/biz/sierra-tucson-tucson-4

[3] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Sierra-Tucson/reviews

Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

3.9/5
    4.1/5
    3.5/5
    4.1/5

• S.A.
    Horrible executive staff. Very unprofessional and deflective. Beautiful campus.
    "Isolation pushes past self-hatred, guilt, and shame, to a place where suffering is just a game." The treatment was a joke. None. It's all pathetic weakness. Arrogance. Stupidity. Greed.
    The eating disorders was brand new at the time and was pretty much experimental. Brand new! A learning experience for them.
    They changed my life for ever. experienced counselors., gave one enough time to open up and trust people, had many avant garde techniques, great location, were not laid back and pushed you to face your problems could have made better choices of roommate situations.
    Absolutely love this place. Saved my life! Dual diagnosis program was top notch.
  • Susan
    Outstanding
  • monica
    great place to keep me safe and to work on several of my past issues
  • EMH
    We have had the worst experience ever with this facility. We took my son here for help. They said they could deal with suidical in their residential, they told us nothing about a lockdown upon admittance. They would not let him out so he signed a form to leave. Then they petitioned him... They have real problems here, they can\'t deal with mental health patients at all and should not be accredited to him. They are a big corporation not a caring facility. They don\'t listen to the patient or the family. They don\'t take the patient into consideration. They only care about their liability. This is resort for people who have very mild issues, no one here understands how to take care of someone with a mental issue.
  • J.
    Total bait and switch. I went for the pain and trauma program, but instead they put me in a completely different program that was impossible to keep up with in my condition...Once upon a time long long ago I\'m sure this place was wonderful but those days are long gone. This place is nothing like how it is on the site or the admin say. I put my everything into this place and left worse then before I got there.
  • RM
    Don\'t seen your love one here.We are in a bigger mess since my son left there.No communication with family just phone tag.Was put on meds but sent home with no prescription s.No appointments set up back home for continued care. No follow or conversation with therapist back home.Please find a better place this place is so disorganized
  • Abby
    I\'m probably the only person you should trust with a review of Sierra Tucson. It was such a great experience and even though it\'s very pricey, it\'s well worth the money. I was fortunate enough to have my insurance cover 100% of my 37 day stay. I\'m a 25 year old female and the only downside of it was the requirements for wardrobe. Everything you wear must be conservative. No shorts, tanks or leggings. Basically my whole wardrobe and girls must wear one piece speedos in the pool but besides that, the staff, facility and treatment which I received was top notch. Take it from someone who has been to copious amounts of rehabs, ST was my final stop and it saved my life. The scenery is beautiful and the activities are fun and treatment based. I\'m also a smoker so if your wondering how that works, there is what they call a \"butt hut\" which is designated for you to smoke away in whenever you feel the need to. Let me give you a quick pointer. Be your own advocate when it comes to making appointments. If you want to book a massage, make sure you do it days in advance. Also, take advantage of the state of the art treatments they have like EMDR and DBT. You need to make appointments for those as well and you do that with your primary counselor. If you slack on making appointments, you\'ll have a lot of down time. I saw my psychiatrist about once a week and if I needed her for something between scheduled visits she was happy to squeeze me in. Family week was the best part. It literally saved my family and helped me heal in so many ways I can\'t explain. If you run out of toiletries or need something that you didn\'t bring, ST has an on site store which carries really nice branded shampoos and good books and they also have some really pretty jewelry which I keep on me to this very day. The people there are nice, I met some friends. At the same time, some people are jerks and there\'s the occasional nutcase. Overall, this was the best treatment center I\'ve been to and it was the last. I went there about three years ago to the day and now my boyfriend is going next week. I hope this comment helps some of you and I hope you make the life changing decision to attend. It\'s more of like a therapeutic spa rehab than a scrub the floors with your toothbrush place. I wish I could spend one month a year there for a yearly tune up. It really was that great. It\'s mostly people in their early 20s to late 50s but I\'d say it\'s more younger people than older. Anyway- best place ever. Oh, and I went there to treat addiction as well as severe depression and anxiety.
  • LK
    I found the staff at Sierra Tucson to be highly sensitive to my needs as a patient. I was there for trauma/ptsd, and I chose ST for its blend of integrative and traditional therapies. I understand the complexity of scheduling and coordinating care and services for such a mixed population. When a service was not appearing on my schedule, I reported it and it was corrected quickly. I found it to be an incredibly supportive environment for therapy. The most difficult part of residential treatment is being in the vicinity of the occasional acting out of a patient who might be having a meltdown, but I still felt safe. I felt the staff was compassionate and had everyone\'s best interests at heart. I arrived pretty guarded and not sure about my decision to be there, but as I began to feel release of the effects of trauma, I began to understand the powerful processes taking place. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it, just like anything. My only regret is not staying longer! I
  • Steve
    You people do not know a thing about treatment...It\'s pathetic that we can not trust facilities like yours to provide the right healthcare that you \"promise\" your patients to be fooled into a missable experience. You need to be shut down, stop taking people\'s money and help these innocent people get the treatment they need and rebuild family\'s like you\'re surpose to be doing.
  • Nisha
    The only thing healing about Sierra Tucson is the scenery. if you have 50,000 to blow on taking a trip to a beautiful place, treat yourself to an amazing vacation. otherwise be prepared to walk away ...treated as if you are a criminal or insane if you question any of the pricing structures, to have your personal belongings confiscated so that you will be forced to purchase overpriced items in the Sierra Tucson store, To be given absolutely no time to grieve or to relate honestly to other patients, to have to spend most of your time defending yourself from the underpaid staff who are angry because you can afford to pay for the treatment in the first place. an additional $5000 was added to my bill because after I refused to comply they charged me to have someone follow me around claiming I was a threat. patients are routinely admitted and kicked out immediately after their insurance runs out, lied to about additional costs, and bullied into spending extra money on unneeded extras. the ataff ranges from mediocre to clinically insane the food is atrocious the accommodations a joke considering the expense of the treatment and worst of all, you are not allowed to in any way interact with the outside world while you are, except through prepaid phone cards which they also sell at the bookstore. This place needs to be shut down.
  • Jp
    Horrible place!!! Seriously a waste of money and completely made me worse. Lied, made false promises, provided no aftercare or family support. The communication was a joke, my family called to talk to Dr. daily and she refused to return calls or answer questions. I still have no diagnosis. Dr. and team kissed my mom\'s butt when she arrived making me look dumb like I was making up the complaints about my lack of treatment. They did not provide any help with aftercare plan, family therapy isn\'t included. Family is not allowed the co my usage during visit until the end when we both were so angry that we are not talking now. They will convince you to stay for another track and tell you it\'s necessary to get more treatment afterwards. Do not waste your money. Don\'t send your loved one here. They only want the money and don\'t even know your name. Stop this place from further harm by going somewhere else.
    Atmosphere, Professionalism, Food and nutrition were all strengths. Financial assistance was a weakness.
  • B R
    Multi- modal, professional, well maintained but costly. Overall very good with caring staff and good facilities
    it was very nice and clean, one on one therapy was not the best. they offer family week
    Effective treatment, nice staff.Not everyone is eligible to visit patients. Overall good experience
    Strengths: accommodations, links for family members, structure, program for MDs. Weaknesses: follow-up was sparse. Having the separate program for MDs is such a huge source that I believe can aid in the reduction of physician suicides
  • CE
    My MIL went to Sierra Tucson. They told her she needed to be there for 67 days then 25 days into the program said sorry your insurance will only cover 30 days. Because of the way the information was delivered to her from the institution she got very upset. She then called family members asking for money to pay for additional weeks... She is about to be discharged any day and does not seem better. She has already refused outpatient treatment stating that her therapist told her she would only need to go 3 days a week when she arrived at Sierra and now they are telling her 6 days a week. She has been texting her daughter all kinds of insane things while she is there (clearly unsupervised). Her daughter and my fiancé have called several times and left multiple messages for all of her doctors and therapist regarding their concerns and no one has called them back in 4 days!!! It seems like incorrect expectations have been set from the beginning. We thought this would be a safe place for her, however that was proven wrong as well and I can only pray that she continues the PHP.
  • MC
    This is NOT a luxury facility. The rooms were falling apart when I was there for treatment of chronic pain. There are so many patients that it\'s easy to get lost and shuffled around. I was moved into 3 different groups and therapists, so I never made much of a connection with the therapists. Don\'t go there near the holidays as many of the doctors, therapists, and staff go on vacation. Perhaps the place was great once, but it seems too big, too expensive, and too easy to get over looked. They had only one person to address patient concerns or problems. Their scheduling program for a patient\'s activities and therapies was impersonal and prone to errors. You really have to be proactive to get the right treatment. Their equine therapy was good. The staff did seem caring and well trained, but the whole program seemed disorganized. Lots of communication breakdowns between departments. I was also moved to 4 different rooms due to broken equipment or thermostats. I found the experience stressful and would look elsewhere if I needed treatment in the future. I believe the place has just grown too big to provide real indidualized care.
  • JP
    This place is such a scam. When you call them for an assessment they\'ll say that \"we create an individualized program for you based on your needs.\" but that is not the case. The eating disorder program is miserable and they require all patients to sit in a small side room, away from the rest of the population. Additionally, all concerns get passed from one member of your treatment team to the next, so that nothing gets resolved and you are trapped in a program that is taking your money and not providing any tangible benefits. For how expensive this program is (with insurance or out of pocket), it\'s a terrible waste of time and money. While it has a good reputation, the structure of it lumps all disorders (addiction, mood, eating disorders) into one mass, not catering to the individual clients. The sessions are very broad and often times useless and repetitive from week to week. Sierra Tucsan offers the false promise of recovery and health.
  • NE
    Do not send your loved on to Sierra. They are more interested in your $, than the recovery of your loved one. My son came out of Sierra in worse shape than he went in. Staff promised detox, diagnosis, etc etc. Tried to reach a staff member many many times with no return call. If this helps one person from going through what we went through - it will be worth it.
  • Vinky
    they need to revaluate there priorities and make some major changes like hiring therapists that are better because I know half or the residential therapists that treated and offered support to my loved one were awful, it is ridiculous
  • EC
    I came out in worse shape than when I went in for depression and anxiety not directly related to current substance use.
  • MC
    The intake coordinators promise services to get you to come and then you are not given the services when you arrive. Their groups are too big and not useful. Lots of schedule conflicts and down time. Not productive.
  • LV
    I went to Sierra Tucson in April of 2015 and left after a week due to their inability to schedule me for activities I could attend. You are given a colored bracelet which stands for what you can and cannot do. I was given a red bracelet by the doctor and could not do any physical activities or classes and no doctor could tell me why I was on the red bracelet (I am perfectly capable of all activities) and my schedule constantly had stuff on it that I would be kicked out of because of the color of my bracelet. So I spent most days doing nothing but missing classes for $1800 a day. I was assured that if I came back everything would be better and taken care of, so I went back in June of 2015 and low and behold nothing was better. The place is run like some hotel and you hardly ever get to actually have therapy. A girl had been there 46 days when I left and still only had had 1 one on one session. My therapist was there at the beginning but then left for a two-week vacation, leaving my group with a new therapist out of nowhere and she was not very good. Scheduling is an impossible task there. I ordered but never received zero balancing, raki, somatic experiencing, acupressure and bio feedback. ... I feel I wasted my time both times I was there. When I went back the second times the problems were the same but it was a new set of patients so they were acting like it was all new, but I told everyone it was the same thing months earlier and the same excuses... Everyone there was miserable once they realized that the place is all talk and the business office is run by people that don't know what they're doing. I had a death in my family while I was there and had to leave for the funeral and come back two days later, and we had verified that my schedule and insurance would remain the same and I'd be able to come back no problem. I left in the morning and when I got off the plane in Florida I was called and told that I shouldn't have left because now my insurance won't pay for me to come back (yet we had already discussed this with the business office before I left). The next day they called and said because I had been gone a week I had proven sobriety and would be transferred to an outpatient facility. After hours on the phone they finally said they were confused and I don't understand what there was to be confused about. I left for a funeral and was coming back plain and simple. All had been discussed and decided with them before I left but yet it was a hard concept for them to grasp. In short I would suggest you find a different place to go. This place is all talk and will aggravate you more than it will help you.
    I found that there were too many negative things available to me at the facility.
    The staff was caring and loving. However, it was not always the cleanest. Overall, a great facility.
    Offering a wide range of amenities. Staff is friendly and seems to take interest. Nice facility, outdoor programs. I am just a loved one, not the person receiving services. From the outside, just the cost was the downfall. How it is to receive services, unsure. No complaints from my love one who received services.
    Involvement of family was a great benefit. Everyone was very compassionate. However, they need more sexual trauma therapy.
  • Tamara
    Very holistic, strong based facilities. This facility was awesome if the patient follows the plan..
  • SH
    Vast array of services designed with patient's diagnosis.
  • John
    Good facility, altho very expensive. Most attendees very young (teens), and really did not get the big picture, and by parent paying the bill, they did not really take this seriously.....many, many relapsed after leaving.
  • MERP
    EPIC Failure from start to finish; what a disappointment. I needed assistance with Drug Addiction, DID & Bi-Polar; they stripped me of ALL my med\'s and obviously I would go out of her mind. ... I am a highly educated functioning member of society and needed assistance, not thrown into a lock down facility. I personally blame the incompetent staff of Sierra Tucson and would not recommend anyone go this facility...ever!!!
  • GMS
    I went here for what I thought was an addiction problem but through different types of therapy, realized the addiction was only a little of the problem. Here, I was able to face my demons that had been haunting me for years. EMDR therapy helped me process some trauma and my process groups helped me relate to other people struggling with depressions and anxiety like me. Swimming, equine therapy and the ropes course we're some of my favorite outdoor activities. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for healing. Accommodating, more than enough staff members on duty, beautiful surroundings, talent shows, etc. Not exactly closed off so one could technically escape if they did not want to be there.
  • LK
    If you are 18 and on the brink of youth treatment and adult treatment I would lean more towards youth treatment. I was young when I went (18) and I felt as if I was treated at times like my issues were not as bad as some of the other older people. They offer a trauma program.
  • SWH
    Many different issues with the people there while I was. Workaholic, exercise addiction, drugs, love, shop lifting, over eating, depression, self esteem, marriage, social skills, abuse (both as adults and children). We were assigned to groups, so I had both men and women, some all women, some all men. I wish I had the money to send one of my sons for his alcohol addiction. I wish I would have stayed at least 6 weeks instead of just 30 days.
    Enjoyed the holistic offerings. In addition, the staff was very supportive.
  • Greg
    I'm clean since the day I walked in.
  • BAW
    I went there for severe depression and suicidal behavior. I was able to also work on my eating disorder and sexual trauma. Left with many coping skills and on less or no medication at the time when I had come in on several medications. I also left with abetted sense of myself, coping skills and a stronger support network. My roommate who was there for alcohol addiction has been sober ever since and we are the best of friends to this day. They provide a family week during the 30 day treatment, and though it was very difficult emotionally, my parents and I have a stronger relationship because of it. We were able to learn so much and grow from it. Anytime someone I know is struggling with anything from addiction, eating disorders, to mood disorders, I always tell them about Sierra Tucson and how amazing it was for my now best friend and I. Though I still struggle with depression and ED I am much more equipped to cope with life because of what I learned/experienced at Sierra Tucson. If I could afford it I would spend one month a year there just to keep everything in check. :-)
  • Ra
    One of the most traumatic experiences I ever went through. They are a very bad place these days. Used to be a wonderful facility before they were bought out. And they like to charge for services you never even receive.
    Great overall quality.
  • anonymous
    Seems very good and comprehensive and caring. Just expensive.
  • JJ
    Excellent program.
  • anonymous
    Great setting, just expensive. Very good and comprehensive and caring.
  • Asher
    Good place to send your loved one for help!
  • anonymous
    Had a family week with group & family sessions, and allowed for once a week phone calls. Excellent program.
  • Janet
    Excellent treatment - really opened my eyes to alternative treatments as well as many different spiritual based practices to aid in my recovery even years later. Truly gave me my life as it is today- amazing transformation.
  • JPR
    Super place just very expensive...Worth the cost because treatment was successful. Excellent treatment in lovely surroundings.
    Prescribed meds already used unsuccessfully
  • SA
    Accommodations and food were good...but treatment I received not worth the cost.
  • CF
    AA meetings were not stressed enough.
  • Cdg
    Great place...I would go again if it weren't too far away.
  • TLG
    I was 12 years clean and sober when I entered for co-dependence and sexual addiction. Overall the treatment was very good, however the pastoral care and overall treatment of "religious" principles were discounted...When issues were addressed to staff they became defensive and deflective and unwilling to take personal responsibility, and this seemed to be an issue from the top management down.
  • SAS
    Although it has changed and evolved over the years, Sierra Tucson was a place where the individual is treated for their specific addiction, while integrating them with other patients to share their experience and hope.
  • SL
    It was not a good value. They really tried to accommodate me, but they are into making money, a lot of money! I was in poverty entering the facility and I still am.
  • SP
    If you can afford it, Sierra Tucson is the place to go. I wouldn\'t have changed a thing.