Social Model Recovery Systems - Bimini in Los Angeles, CA

Call (877) 507-6242 to Contact Social Model Recovery Systems - Bimini

155 South Bimini Place
Los Angeles CA 90004

Social Model Recovery Systems - Bimini Philosophy

The Bimini House is a residential treatment center for chemically dependent men and women struggling with addiction. Specializing in the treatment of veteran and active members of the armed forces, Bimini House provides comprehensive, compassionate care designed to suit the needs of those who have served our country. Treatment services include individualized case management, grief counseling, anger management, vocational assistance, housing assistance, family reunification, medical and dental care, social functions, room and board, 12-Step meetings, and more.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

• Individual Therapy
    This term describes one-on-one therapy, in which a patient and trained counselor, social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist meets privately with a patient to discuss challenges related to lifestyle, work, family and romantic relationships that may have contributed to the development of an addiction.

12-Step Meetings

Substance Abuse Education

Vocational Guidance

ABOUT SOCIAL MODEL RECOVERY SYSTEMS - BIMINI

Located in Los Angeles, Calif.’s Koreatown, Social Model Recovery Systems provides residential treatment for adults seeking treatment for substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. The facility offers residential treatment for men and women, as well as specialized programs for veterans. Detox is not available on site.

The treatment process at Social Model Recovery Systems is focused on peer support in a recovery-oriented environment. Adults are admitted to the program so that they can remove themselves from problematic situations while getting the help that they need. The process begins with an initial evaluation to determine their specific needs.

The facility uses 12-Step in its treatment process. The 12-step process is used in 73% of treatment facilities in the U.S.. Clients attend group meetings and are encouraged to continue their participation after they leave treatment.

Other aspects of the residential treatment includes family reunification, anger management classes, gender-specific groups, groups on domestic violence, and trauma support groups. In addition, residents have access to vocational and occupational training programs.

The facility is a part of the 29% of U.S. treatment facilities accredited by CARF. It is also licensed by the California Department of Health Care Services. The single alum polled about the level of staff support gave the facility five out of five stars, while three others commented on the supportive nature of the treatment team. However, one former client expressed dissatisfaction with the credentials of the staff, writing that “Bimini has no real therapists. The counselors have rudimentary training only.”

Services are provided in a large, multi-wing facility. During treatment, clients are required to observe complete abstinence from medications and drugs. When not in primary treatment, clients participate in vocational training, which is only offered in 39% of U.S. treatment facilities. The three alumni polled about the facility’s accommodations and amenities gave Bimini two five out of five star ratings and a single one-star rating.

Of the eight alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, four gave the facility mostly positive reviews, praising the staff for its knowledge and compassion and complimenting the solid treatment program. One alum noted how it was a “Safe and clean house” that was “maintained by clients” and another noted how they “gave real groups and Good food.”

The other four alumni gave mostly negative feedback, describing “frightening” and “dangerous” experiences in a place that “needs more lighting, security and cameras.” One alum complained about the staff’s lack of experience, as well as having to do manual labor. “YOU have to helpunload trucks and carry loads up those steps. Im a 65 year old woman and im forced to unload trucks,” she wrote.

On Facebook, where the facility can manage its page, Social Model Recovery Systems has an average of 4.7 out of five stars from 32 reviews.[1] Many of the reviews came from staff members who appreciated the “opportunity to grow.”

At the time of this writing, two loved ones provided feedback to Rehabs.com about Social Model Recovery Systems. The feedback was polarized, with one positive and one very negative review. The one loved one whose husband attended the program gave Bimini mostly positive feedback, awarding the facility five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness and noting that as a spouse, she was given a lot of helpful information about how to cope and support a loved one struggling with addiction.

However, the negative review came from a godparent who described the facility as “filthy” and how it made her goddaughter feel uncomfortable to talk in group therapy with all older men. :How do they expect a female to open up if they're the only ones that are in that group with a bunch of men,” the wrote.

According to HealthGrove, the facility accepts Access to Recovery vouchers and state insurance other than Medicaid.

CONCLUSION

Social Model Recovery Systems works with other organizations to address the growing opioid epidemic. It routinely participates in various conferences including the Western States Opioid Summit. The conference is focused on raising awareness of the causes, impacts, and treatments of opioid addiction.

[1] https://www.facebook.com/pg/SocialModelRecoverySystems/reviews/

Published on December 2018

In October 2016 I arrived at the Bimini court ordered and on my fourth rehab, of which I’d never stayed more then a couple weeks before going on the run. Bimini was my last and final chance with the courts before having to serve my time. I entered with the mindset that no matter how irritated and tedious I may find the program, I was gonna stay and complete this shit, and finally get the courts off my back. Although six months was all I needed for compliance I ended up being there nearly eleven. I not only completed rehab but I got clean and stayed clean for the first time unless I was in jail. I think rehab is what you make it and how much one truly desires it, as well as your sobriety. I had never wanted nor cared to be clean before as my life was never that bad considering whilst in my heroin addiction. I never relapsed cuz I just never stopped using. My man was/is a dope dealer, so I shared a bed with my connection. It was at the Bimini that I saw a different way of living that wasn’t that bad, living without drugs. As a heroin addict I was happy with my life, believe it or not, and was only there cuz of the courts. AA/ NA programs were asinine to me upon first familiaration with there way of recovery I knew that getting a sponsor, step work was not gonna be for me..yet by shutting up and listening, being open-minded I began to hear a little bit from many different sober outlets, meetings, speakers, rhetoric...I took what I needed left the rest.

I went to go pick up my goddaughter from this place and went into the place it was filthy dirty picked up my goddaughter my goddaughter was telling me that doesn't feel comfortable there that it's her that's 21 and a 19 year old that's there everyone else is 30 and older it's coed and they had a group and she was the only girl that was in there listening to these men and the person that's running it talk about their private part making her feel uncomfortable where she doesn't want to open up I think this place is the worst place ever I do not recommend this place at all even a counselor had a rude attitude and very disrespectful how do they expect people to change if all of this nonsense is happening there how do they expect a female to open up if they're the only ones that are in that group with a bunch of men my niece has gone through so much where it's hard for her to open up especially with a man around I don't agree with this place I do not recommend this place if you need help find another place that will make you feel comfortable safe and secure a place that's going to help you with your issue not make you feel uncomfortable.... I give this place a 0 Stars

Horrible experience !! This place needs more lighting, security and cameras. I was trying to attend an AA meeting at this location, when I was harassed by a crazy person by the entrance. He used profanity and even told me that I was stepping in to his territory, and I had to get out. This was a very frightening experience, and dangerous, I don’t understand why they would allow this to happen in a place where people seak help. If you are looking to get well, be safe, and get help DO NOT go here.

Excellent program, excellent results. Good learning skills programs. Food is very good. Everyone participates in daily functioning of facility. Possibility of real life growth in personal practices for a better future.

I give up. Bimini has no real therapists. The counselors have rudimentary training only, use profanity... Note the long staircase in front of Bimini. YOU have to helpunload trucks and carry loads up those steps. Im a 65 year old woman and im forced to unload trucks. If you have friends in wheelchaurs who want to visit---no way.

Supportive A lot of drama While visiting my husband , I was given lots of information on how to cope .

The Bimini was one of the places were the staff had true Love for there clients. the staff cared for the clients. And gave real groups and Good food

Safe and clean house, maintained by clients. The VA hospital suggested and sent me there for this I am grateful !

I went into rehab because I had no other choice. The staff was very supportive.

I was suported by staff and clients and still remain friends through social media and or in person on a regular basis. I love everyone and everything I got out of this place. The food wasn't 5 star but I am a street kid who got sober in this program and never was eating 5 star from the beginning. I enjoyed the food, the groups, the fellowship and the rules were set into place and I followed them because my way of living life wasn't working anymore for me. I learned how to live a life beyond my wildest dreams because of this program. I now work in recovery and next month I'll have 4 years sober. I love Bimini house at marylind foundation !! I was taught how to live a clean and sober life and learned how to ask for help, got a sponsor, attended meetings and groups to help me understand my disease and was counceled to help combat life events and legal issues. I was able to be sober for my son. I was homelesss in Hollywood and knew I needed help.