Sovereign Health Addiction, Dual Diagnosis, and Mental Health Treatment Programs in Chandler, AZ

Call (866) 493-7545 to Contact Sovereign Health Addiction, Dual Diagnosis, and Mental Health Treatment Programs

Private Address
Chandler AZ 85226

Sovereign Health Addiction, Dual Diagnosis, and Mental Health Treatment Programs Philosophy

Sovereign Health specializes in mental health, substance abuse and dual diagnosis treatment for men and women. The rehab has numerous facilities in California, Florida and Arizona — the Chandler, Arizona location offers residential treatment exclusively for women. The program utilizes evidence-based treatment modalities combined with a holistic focus for a well-balanced and sustainable recovery. Clients are encouraged to examine and understand how and why their maladaptive behaviors evolved and to set realistic goals for a happy and fulfilling future.

• Individual Therapy
    This term describes one-on-one therapy, in which a patient and trained counselor, social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist meets privately with a patient to discuss challenges related to lifestyle, work, family and romantic relationships that may have contributed to the development of an addiction.

• Equine Therapy
    A form of animal therapy, equine therapy involves visiting, working with and sometimes riding horses as a way to create a metaphoric relationship that leads to life-altering insights.

Experiential Therapies

Art Therapy / Music Therapy / Equine Therapy

Daily Meetings

Frequent Group Outings

Yoga Classes/ Meditation/ Gym Outings

Kelly Vickrey, M.A., LISAC

Program Director, Chandler

Kelly Vickrey is the Program Director at Sovereign Health’s facility in Chandler, Arizona. Ms. Vickrey earned her master’s degree in counseling from the University of Missouri and is a Licensed Independent Substance Abuse Counselor, (LISAC) as certified by the Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners. Ms. Vickrey has extensive experience in the treatment field, having been the director of Gila River Human Services prior to joining Sovereign Health. In this position she managed outpatient and residential substance abuse counseling, along with prevention programs for several locations throughout the community. Ms. Vickrey creates a safe and stable environment in order to treat women struggling with trauma and possible co-occurring conditions. A mission of the trauma treatment program at Sovereign Health is to empower women and give them a life-changing experience, helping them create a renewed life and sustain positive healthy relationships following treatment. In her spare time, Ms. Vickrey enjoys hiking, bicycling and geocaching in the Arizona outdoors. She is excited about offering a superlative standard of healing for women and helping open a new women’s intensive outpatient treatment program with sober living. Ms. Vickrey encourages all women to step out of the shadows and know it is okay to ask for help - See more at: https://www.sovhealth.com/about/leadership/chandler-az/#sthash.akyMjCuM.dpuf

Susanne S. Drury, Ph.D.

Psychologist

Susanne S. Drury is a consulting psychologist for Sovereign Health of Arizona at the Chandler women’s facility. Susanne received her Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the University of Chicago. She has over 35 years of clinical experience, including EMDR, traumatic incident reduction and other specialized trauma treatment techniques. She is a certified trauma specialist with the Association of Traumatic Stress Studies and a certified clinical trauma professional with the International Association of Trauma Professionals. Susanne is the professor in charge of the specialty program at Ottawa University in treating trauma, abuse and deprivation. She also teaches at Grand Canyon University and Argosy University. - See more at: https://www.sovhealth.com/about/leadership/chandler-az/#sthash.akyMjCuM.dpuf

ABOUT SOVEREIGN HEALTH ADDICTION, DUAL DIAGNOSIS, AND MENTAL HEALTH TREATMENT PROGRAMS

Sovereign Health Group provides behavioral health treatment through multiple facilities in California, Arizona, Florida, and Texas. The Chandler center, located in a residential neighborhood in the suburbs of Phoenix, Ariz., offers a continuum of treatment services for women ages 18 to 65 who are struggling with addiction, mental health disorders, co-occurring disorders, trauma, and abuse. The center’s programming includes residential treatment, partial hospitalization (PHP), intensive outpatient (IOP) treatment, and standard outpatient (OP) care.

According to Sovereign Health’s website, the admissions process includes a biopsychosocial assessment, full medical checkup, health history review, and family consultation. These assessments help staff determine the most appropriate level of care for each individual. Clients who require full-time treatment are typically referred to the center’s residential treatment program, which lasts 30 to 90 days. Partial hospitalization, a less intensive treatment option, runs Monday through Friday for five hours a day. Clients enrolled in IOP programming typically attend three-hour treatment sessions three days a week, and general outpatient therapy is flexible and tailored to the individual client’s condition.

The facility is specifically geared toward helping those dealing with trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Clients can expect a mix of individual, group, and family therapy. The center uses a variety of treatment modalities, including evidence-based therapies like eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), neurofeedback, and cognitive training. Experiential therapies, including equine therapy, expressive arts, and recreational therapy, help round out the treatment program.

Process groups focus on psychoeducation and life skills, covering topics including stress management, relapse prevention, general health, and healthy relationships. Clients are given guidance and instruction on holistic wellness practices like yoga and meditation, and receive medication management as needed.

Sovereign Health’s treatment team includes physicians, psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, licensed nurses, psychologists, psychotherapists, substance abuse counselors, and case managers.

According to Sovereign Health’s website, the center’s residential facilities are located in a gated community on a private cul-de-sac. Inpatient clients may share bedrooms with up to three other individuals. Accommodations are homelike, and residents are expected to complete chores and participate in the general upkeep of the facility. Each house is equipped with cable television, a backyard, laundry facilities, fitness equipment, and, in some cases, a swimming pool. All meals are prepared by an on-site chef, and most dietary restrictions can be accommodated. Smoking is permitted in designated areas.

Of the ten alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, six were positive and four were negative. Those who submitted positive reviews praised the staff, the efficacy of the center’s treatment, and the sense of fellowship fostered by the facility. “I am so thankful I got 28 days done and so proud of myself like I don't know it was a really good feeling and all the bonds I made,” I.H. told Rehabs.com. Cesar specifically noted the program’s long-lasting effects. “This experience has made a tremendous impact upon my life. It is in the sense that I found coping skills and I have gained them throughout my entire stay here and have learnt how to implement them with my life.”

The negative reviewers cited rude or unhelpful staff, a lack of adequate programming, difficulty seeing doctors, and poor or basic accommodations. “This place added more trauma to my life, and I was only there for 15 days. I tried to give it my all but the upper staff are so unprofessional,” Xanadu wrote. B.W. characterized the staff as untrained and the facility itself as “disorganized.” Kiki had problems with both the programming and the center’s accommodations. “Took 3 days to see my doctor and therapist. There was a hole in my bedroom ceiling and it was leaking water into my room; it took them 2 days to fix it,” Kiki wrote.

Two of the three loved ones polled by Rehabs.com submitted positive reviews of the facility. These family members praised Sovereign Health’s staff for providing ongoing support and keeping them informed regarding their loved one’s progress. “They truly want to walk beside you on the difficult path to recovery. Eagerly celebrating helping guiding. Advocates for not only the patient but the patients family. Keeps families updated and even offer encouragement to them,” one survey respondent told Rehabs.com.

L.H. shared a drastically different perspective. This reviewer felt that their loved one’s mental health condition was not taken seriously by the staff. “This facility is not good...This is not a professional place and our loved one deserves more caring and empathy not what she's experienced here,” L.H. wrote.

According to its website, Sovereign Health accepts most private insurance plans, including those from Aetna, Cigna, and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. Additionally, financing is available through the center’s partnership with My Treatment Lender.

Published on October 2017

I was a patient at sovereign health in Arizona. During my stay they gave one of my therapy slots to another patient so she could have two. The same.patient threatened other patients. Food wasn't supplied regularly and when it was brought up the director told us patients we should be lucky they provide food at all. My therapist lied to me about personal statements of my family. My physical health was ignored. I had recently heard this location closed and am incredibly disappointed to find they have not. Please do not risk coming here. While some people made it through all of the chaos, lack of respect and lack of staff and still felt helped the success rate among those who left and kept in touch has been staggeringly low. Please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

we flew my daughter to Sovereign's Chandler Arizona's facility in late May of 2017. Her level of trauma was so severe that she had just been released from a mental hospital. She hadn't slept for days and was experiencing Psychosis....all from trauma response. The staff at Chandler were AMAZING. The first three days she was there, she had 5 reliving flashbacks, one of which a neighbor had called the police because she sounded like she was being killed. The staff at Chandler quickly explained to the police that this was a trauma victim and they knew how to handle her. One the second day, they had her calmed down enough to call me in the presence of the Psychiatrist and a trauma therapist. She wanted to leave because she thought she would never find another way of being. The psychiatrist's call to me was that she wanted to leave and they were NOT in the business of keeping people against their will....especially after trauma and entrapment as part of the traiuma. We were able to keep her there on an "lets give this a go"...."they know what they're doing and they can handle you" thought. The first 3 weeks were touch and go, I was at my wits end, because she was so traumatized that another "supposedly" great treatment center in Illinois "Timberline Knolls" had rejected her. They said she was too traumatized and they couldnt guarantee her or other residents safety.......SO...she was too traumatized to attend this treatment center who advertises "trauma treatment". She could not come home, because I'm not qualified. Sovereign and her counselor and their staff were a Godsend to my daughter. She was there during the raid on Chandler....whiich I'm lucky she didnt witness personally given her level of trauma in which her experience with police were part of. Unfortunately, 1 month after the raids, her counselor, who was just amazing, left and things werent as good because people were leaving. Shame of the FBI. This treatment center saved my daughter's life. She had been nearly psychotic and clinically depressed for over two years before coming here with NO HOPE that things would ever get better. So for all the naysayers.....Sovereign Chandler for Womens Trauma being shut down.....they called me, because we had made friends there who truly care about my daughter....is a travesty.....God help the parents who are still looking for a good trauma treatment center because they are FEW and NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to find....and this one is no more. Thank you Sovereign Chandler!!!!

It was a great experience at Sovereign with excellent staff members.

Chandler specializes in trauma and is an all female facility. The other locations are not as strong The clinical concierge loren was great by keeping me informed about my sister. I appreciated all the care and help my sister got at the Chandler location.

Accomodation is excellent, 12 step recovery program , useful daily routine Average Internet connectivity My aunt and my uncle found Sovereign they put me in a different program in Dallas which was not really for mental health it was for dual diagnosis and I didn't really have any addictions and Sovereign Health had mental health department and the website was really nice and it was pretty much everything I expected and a little more. I was so happy to see that there was people with bipolar 1 be able to connect with them through our troubles in the past and really going to see a marked improvement in every one that struggled with it. I got really comfortable at Cordoba House made two really great friends there it was nice to go to the apartments and get a little chance to meet some newer people and made a lot of more bonds there and I liked every staff member at the house, the Cordoba House they are all really nice. The groups I enjoyed the most were yoga, meditation, art. Music therapy was definitely up there. I would like to sometimes throw in a curve ball and music therapy 1. I like (Shahi) she kept it fun and I don't know she just was really open to our songs and didn't really judge us for our songs and I like some of the other ones like learning about the brain but I have been to so many rehabs before like it is kind of repetitive to me but I definitely still listened and still got a lot out of them Like I said the Cordoba House was awesome I like people at the apartments. After a good start in the morning some of the people didn't like it but I mean me as a morning person I am like an all day person . I don't necessarily see anything wrong with anyone here really thankful for the staff I think Sovereign Health has done a good job of keeping the staff pretty much in check. I know you guys we had a meeting with the CEO and it was really nice to have that open up about our feelings and stuff. The intake process was nice. After 28 days it feels so much better like I was like oh my god I missed Halloween I am going to miss weekends and stuff and going out and right now I think back to the first day I am like I am so thankful I got 28 days done and so proud of myself like I don't know it was a really good feeling and all the bonds I made and I was really frustrated at the last place because I couldn't really connect with anyone.I just felt like it was me versus the whole treatment center like I felt really watched and told what to do and here it kind of got freedom and it felt good Don't rush and feel like people are way far ahead. It is a process. For me it is six months going in and out of places and finding the right place don't feel like you know this place is not right for me give it a chance and go to groups I mean you would be surprised to hear some people stories and they are amazing and how they are still here and you will have your own personal service and it is amazing too , but don't harp down on yourself on your past mistakes you are here to work on the present and the best way to do is give it your best shot.

clean environment, experienced doctors, FamilyTherapy is Awesome Food I actually first heard about Sovereign Health through a close friend of ours , my wife who was working with a therapist in Long Beach who recommended Sovereign as a quality rehab facility from what she knew of it and at that point I was already clean and sober for a couple of weeks but I knew I needed a lot more therapy, a lot more time, a lot more ability to have a focused recovery and so after considering it for couple of days and actually comparing a number of Orange County rehab centers I ended up choosing Sovereign. I think from the get go you know the front line people I was just very impressed with their kindness and patience. I got matched up with one staff member and we have had a really good relationship, couple of little bumps at the beginning but really appreciate her and I actually have really impressed with the clinical side of the operations from the get go. I have a lot of admiration and appreciation for all the therapists. I have also very much appreciated doctors. They are far and away the most understanding, caring psychiatrists I have worked with. Yeah. Well I think the quality of the groups has evolved a lot ever since I have been here. Justifies some of the harder treatment that has to be laid down sometimes and how much I really do appreciate Sovereign I mean I really, really appreciate my therapist and another staff member and her music groups and one staff member who has just amazing bends over backwards to make family groups meaningful in all the work she does and for sweet staff I just really am grateful for her I think it could potentially be better for the program. I think one of the primary things that is just key for someone first coming in to be willing to know more than likely that the first week is going to be really hard and to really give it a shot because Sovereign is a good place and if you are here with the right mindset you are going to get a lot of growth and healing because the people here really do care. And you know don’t isolate yourself the beauty of amongst fellow addicts alcoholics whatever your issues are really valuable you know and the big book of Alcoholics Anonymous which is the same book basically for any group dealing with addicts of overeaters or anorexia or anger or bipolar whatever is the same thing and isolation isn’t going to bring better for you because odds are mostly your life while being active in your issues has been a lot of isolation and look where that has gotten me and the beauty of what one addict alcoholic can offer another is irreplaceable and the big book talks about that. To finally be around people who can understand why you did some of the crazy things you did without judgment is a real gift that most folks in the world can’t give you. It allows you to see yourself more objectively to laugh at the things you did and to realize the past and what you have today and today is the only day you have to worry about. You know pray for that obsession not to drink, not to use, not to lose your mind and temper you know not to go to the bathroom get rid of your food right after you eat whatever it is having people that can understand that and love you in it brings more healing than almost anything else. I am glad that I had the last 30 days to be here and soak everything up to take forward in my recovery.

This facility is not good...This is not a professional place and our loved one deserves more caring and empathy not what she's experienced here. Don't wonder why people snap because health care doesn't recognize mental health as a disease and a very serious condition just like other illnesses that the medical field does recognize

Well I found Sovereign Health through the internet. My parents also did a lot of searching to see where they would want to send me. I came from a 50150 facility and stayed there for a couple of weeks and then they decided to release me into Sovereign Health. This experience has made a tremendous impact upon my life. It is in the sense that I found coping skills and I have gained them throughout my entire stay here and have learnt how to implement them with my life whether it be anxiety issues or just trying to figure out we are going to deal with a day-to-day basis it actually helped me a lot because the counselors here go in depth with the groups they really don’t skim on the surface it is not a superficial program. You do get a lot of information out of it. My favorites were process group and cognitive therapy .I like the process group because we can basically get anything we have off our chest and kind of collaborate with the counselors if we have any issues or if we have any pros towards the program we can talk about it and maybe if there is any falls in the program we can go about how to fix them and the cognitive therapy program we learned a lot because it definitely helps with being able to sort your thoughts and how to act upon them because if we acted upon our thoughts as they came I honestly think it would be pretty chaotic. Some counselors and some house managers are a bit difficult but it is because they have rules and rules you are going to find everywhere in life. Wherever you go there is going to be rules and when it comes down to it as long as you are respectful and abide by them and you respect the people around you then there is not going to be an issue but once you show a sign of disrespect then that is when you can start getting yourself in trouble. When I first entered the program I was sort of shy you know a little bit timid kind of person ,but I like interacting and there is a kind of it seems oxymoronic with this statement that I just made but you know the way people are I like their habits , I like setting people’s habits and for me I like to get a different answer out of the same question over and over again. I like seeing people’s perspectives and when you initiate conversations with others it has got to be genuine in the sense that now you are actively participating in your sobriety, if you don’t show others that you are actively participating in your sobriety then it might become a little bit difficult for you and don’t be scared you know everybody is here because they weren’t wrong somewhere in their life. Everybody is here for a reason so just go ahead and dive in, you know when you come into the program you now introduce yourself to other people, start to make a fellowship out of the group around you because you are going to be seeing them for at the very least a month, so you might as well start to bond with the people around you. The only thing that I can think of is that it is a spectacular program you know, if you really want to get sober recovery this is the place to be you know right by the beach. You get a sense of being free it is a home away from home basically they definitely take you in and nurture you until you can get it back on your feet and go on into the real world again.

DEAR SOVEREIGN HEALTH OF ARIZONA: The holiday season is a time for reflection and appreciation. So now that I have officially discharged as a patient from the outpatient program to restart my new life, I would like to send warm well-wishes to my extended family of health care providers at Sovereign Health of Arizona who share in my enthusiasm of beginning my new transition into lasting wellness and living within the Phoenix metro area. It is also comforting to know as I embark on this new self-discovery that I can continue to rely on the valuable guidance, wisdom, techniques and support you have all given me during the last five months of my treatment here in Phoenix. I am also thankful for the understanding management staff of the California corporate office that made sure that they were proactive in making sure my needs and voice was taken in the utmost consideration in a proper and timely fashion. Also, I am most grateful to the Sovereign Health Foundation for awarding me financial assistance that paved the way for my successful completion of this program. Despite all of our shared challenges and setbacks, I am truly thankful for people like you who helped me fulfill my vision of obtaining quality mental health care in a collaborative behavioral health environment. Because of your programming and support, I was able to discover my new passion for animals and have begun a career in the pet industry as a dog bather. My goal is to become a certified dog groomer and then a pet groomer for cats and for horses. The Next Steps program, Fresh Start Women’s Foundation and Hunkapi Farms played a big role in my decision in moving away from a 20+ career as a journalist to pursuing my new desire as a professional groomer. These programs and its facilitators helped me to build the courage, will and hope that I could become a better person, friend, lover and employee again. The clinicians and mental health professionals did their best to consistently monitor me to ensure that I developed healthier thoughts, emotions and behaviors. One of the biggest challenges that makes achieving effective mental health care difficult is that the unique set of symptoms may vary depending on a person’s particular disorder. As I took this into account during my treatment here discovering that I suffer from major depressive disorder, PTSD, arthritis and severe anxiety, the programming at Sovereign Health of Arizona made sure that during my comprehensive diagnosis at admission, there was a three-step assessment and creates a program tailored specifically to me. This helped me to understand my illnesses and me more. It also helped me to figure out how I should work toward my goal in seeking mental wellness and self-sufficiency in a healthy way by participating in group and individual therapy. I am proud of the fact that while following Sovereign Health’s specific methodology towards treating mental disorders is indeed a journey, through hard work, a supportive house management staff, and with the loving care of some particularly special therapists, case managers and patients, I have entered and exited treatment after making huge progress and strides through your appropriate levels of care. Though setbacks may occur, I now know that the most important part of my recovery process is that I can also depend on the support and resources I have gained at Sovereign Health of Arizona to manage and control my life in a healthier way now and in the future.

I had the worst experience at sovereign in AZ. I went in with PTSD and Severe Depression. This place added more trauma to my life, and I was only there for 15 days. I tried to give it my all but the upper staff are so unprofessional. There are rude... I read reviews on this place before I went. Some were good some were bad. Now that I went and havery first hand experience. This place will say anything to get you to come for treatment. They talk a good talk but after 6 days of being there my trust went down hill ...I could find no peace, no serenity. It was drama with the upper staff. A false positive urine sample and being interrogated before I said enough was enough. My family transferred me to another treatment center in UT. NOT Sovereign. I feel safe, trusted and now treated like a human. Which I never had at the place in Chandler AZ. They are going down real fast. Which they should. From people I have talked to they say it used to a really good place about 9 months ago but now it is the worst place. You cannot find healing from trauma at this place. It added more trauma to my life. I had to get out of there.

They saved my life. That's the bottom line. I doubt Amy where is perfect. In short, you get out what you put in. The Therapists were all awesome. Yes there were a few bad eggs, it didn't take long for them to be weeded out. If you're there to do the work, the program is great. The accommodations were great, I thought if you want something more than that, consider a spa. A year clean says .... AWESOME job guys.

Unfortunately for the others I had the privlidge to meet here I'm sorry you did not take what you wanted of this experience but you left lung better than when you came. As for me I recommend sovereign to anyone anytime and yes maybe DD would be more helpful, but I really got a lot out of this experience! The only suggestion I have for the management is to follow up at least once with the ones who leave. I have had so much trouble getting a medication that you supplied me with and I am all out of resources to even get it filled and it is the most important.

Genuine compassionate staff. They truly want to walk beside you on the difficult path to recovery. Eagerly celebrating helping guiding. Advocates for not only the patient but the patients family. Keeps families updated and even offer encouragement to them. 100% dual treatment in a welcoming atmosphere

This was the worst experience of my life. I'm 63 years old and was there for mental health and depression. On there web site there are many lies and misconceptions. I was paying out of pocket - 29,000.00. The 15 days I was there I had 7 classes lasting any where from 1 1/2 to 4 hours. The horse wade the longest - but you need to account the time it took to drive. I was always back to the apt By 1:00 too 2:30 everyday With nothing to do. The staff is no trained for mental Heath - only drug and acholohal addition. You are treated with such such disrespect. Do not consider the Chandler facility. They have only been in business a little over a year. They are disorganized and you never get the same answer to questions that you ask. You will not get any help for mental health. They don't do many, many things they claim they do on there web site for mental I plead with you not to go. I had to take 29,000.00 out of my retirement for the help I need And got nothing.

Extremely hard to get medicine; very hard to see doctor; staff frequently tried to give infractions. Mistreatment by some staff; very little contact with counselor. No trips off of facility . Basic accommodations...if you have a choice, go somewhere else!

Took 3 days to see my doctor and therapist. There was a hole in my bedroom ceiling and it was leaking water into my room; it took them 2 days to fix it. I was much worse coming out of there than going in.

The River Source