Spencer Recovery Center in Laguna Beach, CA

Customized Treatment
Low Cost
All Insurances Accepted

ABOUT SPENCER RECOVERY CENTER

In operation for more than 26 years, Spencer Recovery Center is an addiction rehab center in Laguna Beach, Calif. The established facility offers a wide range of residential treatment services, each with their own á la carte offerings. On-site detox, including Suboxone for opiate dependence, is also available.

Spencer Recovery Center offers a diversity of residential treatment options, matching clients with a recovery environment best suited to their needs. The minimum commitment is 28 days though the center can accommodate stays of up to three months.

In the first 28 days of treatment, residents follow a curriculum of daily 12-step meetings, process groups, educational groups, and individual counseling sessions. To supplement their time in therapy, residents participate in guided beach walks, hikes, nutrition and fitness programs. In combination with a scaled-down version of the above, the next 60 to 90 days prepares clients for their next steps through community engagement, volunteering, and job training.

The Extended Care track aims to assist clients with the transition back into their communities. Weekly one-on-one counseling, ongoing group therapy sessions, relapse prevention workshops, and sober living workshops all provide individuals with the skills necessary to lead productive and sober lives.

There is also a Custom Care Program designed for executives and business professionals seeking treatment in a private, intimate setting. In addition to individual counseling sessions, these clients have access to a pool, gym, and spa-like treatments such as massage therapy, reflexology, yoga, hypnotherapy, and nutritional counseling. The Custom Care program also includes extended care, relapse prevention, and a full year of post-treatment counseling.

In the Grace Track, a Christian-based, Bible-centric program, the center combines 12-step recovery principles with Bible sessions and Sunday services at a local church.

Treatment staff at Spencer Recovery Center aim to provide “compassionate care through methods supported by years of client engagement and professional experience.” The 13 Rehabs.com survey respondents polled on the matter gave the facility 3.15 out of five stars for the staff’s level of training and experience.

The beachside facility has a bed and breakfast-like atmosphere with beach-house furnishings and carpeted floors. Residents are housed in private or semi-private rooms with full-size beds, many of which overlook the oceanfront. There are also meeting rooms, an on-site gym, and a dining room with long tables where residents share meals.

With more than 50 firsthand recovery accounts provided by program alumni, feedback was unexpectedly mixed: while the majority of these reports were positive, a significant minority expressed disappointment. Those satisfied with the treatment they received described the staff as professional, encouraging, loving, and caring, and the counseling as effective in helping them develop new and healthy perspectives and make lasting life changes.

“The workers at Spencer Recovery are amazing and has a big heart for helping someone like me suffering from addiction,” wrote alum Lilia C., while R.K. added: “Without a help and guidance with them, I don’t know where I am right now and what I am doing with my life.”

Much in contrast, other alumni leveled complaints about “appalling” and “filthy” conditions in addition to a staff that acted “inappropriately” and was “all about the money.” “The state funded rehab in my city for people without insurance was better than this place,” commented alum E.S.

Feedback provided by more than a dozen loved ones was also mixed. Positive reviews mostly echoed alumni, citing instances of real changes in friends and family members. “They have provided him with an amazing counseling and undergone into different types of therapy with the hope that he will soon recover,” wrote Milagros on her brother’s treatment. “My brother later on became responsive to the treatment.”

Negative reviews called attention to the facility’s “crooked” practices and a “chaotic” atmosphere. Frustrated parent Kathi, for instance, claimed the facility was a “broken down motel” that was completely lacking in management. “BE CAREFUL LOOKING ON LINE FOR REHABS,” she wrote. “They will tell you what yoou want to hear to get your money.”

Referring to the facility as “quite possibly the worst treatment center in Southern California,” reviewer C.S. told of the facility’s decision to “move clients across the country abruptly to their Florida facility” following a change in benefits coverage. “Shocking they’re still operational,” C.S concluded.

The three-month residential program costs $21,700 for the first 28 days, and $10,700 for each of the following two months. Optional faith-based, and psychiatric recovery tracks can be added at additional costs.

The facility is in-network with many health insurance providers including Aetna, Magellan, United Behavioral Health, Humana, and Cigna. Financing options, payment plans, and a limited number of scholarships are also available to those who qualify.

Published on February 2018

N.

I'm truly blessed and grateful to have "graduated" from Spencer Recovery Center in Laguna Beach. It was the best decision I have ever made to give up the drinking and drugging I wouldn't have done it without the help, guidance, direction and support of ALL the staff. Thank you for my new life!!!

Olivia

The counselling was really amazing it really helps my daughter to recover. She looks great now and I’m so happy he made the choice to get help. Thanks... Spencer Recovery, you’re such a blessing to us.

Lilia C.

The workers at Spencer Recovery are amazing and has a big heart for helping someone like me suffering from addiction. Their treatment was very effective and it really worked for me. This place gives everything to their patients for a successful recovery. I would definitely recommend anyone who struggling from addiction.

R. Kay

I’ve tried to fight my addiction, and it was so hard, but without the help of an amazing people of Spencer. I would have not made it. They are so friendly, nice and understanding; they really know what to do to help you feel better and how to get you through those really hard times. They give what your needs and give the best program that really suits for you. I just want to thank Chris Spencer and especially the staffs of Spencer Recovery for the attention and care throughout my recovery. I’m so happy to be clean and sober and I’m so happy with my life right now.

Melissa

The rehab center of Spencer Recovery is the greatest facility I’ve ever experienced. All of the people working were very friendly, cheerful and helpful. They did their very best to provide you a great care you need throughout your recovery. The counselors were very professional as well; their counseling was effective. I’m so grateful with them for making my life change.

Anita

I really enjoyed my stay at this facility. The counselor was very nice and friendly, giving good advices and guided me every step of my recovery process. The assistants were awesome; they definitely helped me get through the detox. Thanks to all team at Spencer for the undivided attention you gave to me.

Roby Kraus

I like all the activities and classes at Spencer Recovery you have learned so many things from them and it’s a big help to me to start my life being clean and sober. Thanks God, that I overcome my addiction. Without a help and guidance with them, I don’t know where I am right now and what I am doing with my life.

Louise

If you’re planning to seek for a help and to go to this place, I wish you all the best with getting the proper treatment; to stay clean and sober. Just a piece of advice, you need to work hard for that program. If you don’t work hard for it, it really don’t work for you. Goodluck! This place really works for me.

Kevelyn

It was a great program. Their 12-step program, helps me to recover.

Henry Orton

Their 12 step program is really high-effective and the people working here are very professional, knowledgeable and very dedicated to help and care each of their patients. It was really a good facility for those who need rehabilitation.

Mathilda

My overall satisfaction of my treatment is above & beyond great. The entire staffs of Spencer Recovery are amazing; they make you feel at home and treat you as part of their family. And my counselor helped me every step of the way of my recovery. Thank you to everyone who helped me. I would definitely recommend this facility to anyone who needs help.

Gary

The treatments they provide were excellent; It’s such a big help to recover. I was really happy with all the services. I would definitely recommend this center to anyone who wants to recover with their addiction problems.

Grace

This place is really care about their patients, And I\'m so thankful that I\'m of those people they helped me to recover. Caring and compassionate people that I\'ll never forget. Thanks...for changing me to be a better person

Melchie

Great staff & management. The program they gave to my friend was such a big help and make her to be a better person There are someone truly remarkable people working here to make your loved one’s stay to a comforting place. Highly recommended.

Josh

This is far the best rehab center that I’ve ever encountered. Staffs here were very friendly, caring and professional; they were very patient and kind throughout my treatment. Thanks to all staff of Spencer for taking good care of me every step of the way.

Beatrice

This is a wonderful place. They treat me well with care and dignity. Staffs and the psychologist are very compassionate to help those people who needs their guidance. Everyone works together as a team. Thanks for giving me a wonderful experience.

Devi

I was rehabilitate to this facility for about 2 months and I couldn’t be happier with the services and care I receive here. The staffs are always friendly, attentive and accommodating; they make my stay more pleasant. I’ve checked more rehabilitation centre before and this is by far the best; they happily attended to my every need. It was emotional leaving the facility because I had many friends during my stay.

Agneshka

Best Recovery Center I’ve ever had. Staffs here are very friendly and willing to help as much as they can; they did their best to accommodate their patient who needs love, care & support and seem to work to make everyone smile & become stronger.

Lupe

Spencer recovery was really reliable and passionate in helping people who need great care! Everything from therapy sessions to living accommodations was top notch. This program helped me to overcome my addiction. Without the help of this center I can\'t achieve my full recovery.

Beverly

I just wanna leave a 5-star rating here as my way of showing gratitude for what they have done into my elder sister. She is now fully well and living again in a normal life because of Spencer recovery Center. I thank you more words can say for your help. I pray and I hope that more people that are suffering from drug addiction will be OK again because of your therapy program. Thank you so much.

Herman

I would like to express the gratitude for these people. The customer service is beyond average. They are warm and welcoming, The front desk is very attentive and the therapist are also extremely caring. As soon as you walk in they welcome you with open arms. My sister has been heavenly sent in his developmental process. Recently, she almost fully recovered. I couldn\'t be any more happy with this facility. A bunch of thanks to you.

Clara

Excellent service! Very knowledgeable therapist that always go beyond your expectation. All the therapist are very friendly. This company strives for nothing but excellent service. I will definitely be recommending this rehabilitation center to everyone.

Jennica

My sister went to a couple treatments due to severe drug addiction and we’re almost hopeless because we think that she was helpless already. The last rehab center that we went to was Spencer recovery center, for almost 6 months, there was much different/improvement. She is now almost fully recovered and getting into her 6th month of rehabilitation. Thank you so much for the love, care and effort of bringing my sister back. I am so grateful with Spencer Recovery Center.

Jp

I went to spencers and it was not a good program. I was charged for services never recieved and meals were all costco food if you got anything. Staff could not stay up with clients. They claim i recieved counciling and therapy when i did not. As soon as insurance wouldent pay the full amount ot was so long nice knowing you. I would not recommend this facility to anyone.

Odessa

This recovery center had an amazing treatment that has changed my entire life. I highly recommend this company to those who have the same addiction problem with me. I can really attest that this center will able to help and change your perspective in life.

Jeanie

I had an amazing experience with Spencer. I gained a lot of self-confidence that helped me maintain my dignity and built good relationship with other people especially to my family. I highly recommend their program to anyone.

Marians

Because of their help I was able to gain my confidence back. The staff is very caring and understanding. Thank you for helping bring back my old healthy life!

Milagros

My brother’s drug and alcohol dependency brought so much injury to my family refutation, so I decided to forcedly send him to a rehabilitation center hoping that it both help him and our family. He can no longer live in his normal life. So, I called up this recovery center and indeed they are the answer to our long time burden, they patiently helped us specially my brother with his entire dependency problem. They have provided him with an amazing counseling and undergone into different types of therapy with the hope that he will soon recover. My brother later on became responsive to the treatment and had a wonderful change and gradually recovered. I’m very thankful to you Spencer.

Ls

Terrible place the staff has no idea what they are doing. They mess with your insurance and like to send you all over to the other facilities because of insurance. Staff is rude and does not care. It\'s all about money to them not the patients. Do not go here!!!

Ted

A close friend of mine went here and joined a treatment for alcoholism. The people here were very accommodating to all visitors and their programs help people to have a new beginning. I\'m fully impressed with my friend for he had changed a lot. I know you can still help many people. Thanks a lot!

Aurora

They did an amazing job helping my son transform into a person I always wanna be. They informed me about all that happened and ask how I feel and was affected by his addiction history. I\'m so grateful that they helped my son build real coping skills so that he can continue to succeed in regular life.

Denise

I have suffered from a serious emotional and mental depression. I can no longer live my life normally. So, I have decided to undergo for treatment. It was Spencer Recovery Center helped with all my troubles. They have provided me with adequate counseling and various programs that will help me bring back the old me. The staff gave me the encouragement and helps me get fully recovered. Months later, I was able to find out the beauty of life and also how to handle various troubles. Now, I live in a peaceful life.

Rebecca

I came here out of frustration on my father addition on drugs. He wanted to change but he couldn\'t because of his extreme addiction. And yes this recovery center is our answer. The therapists are experts, really nice and professional on their jobs. Most of all, their program really helped my father. Thank you Spencer.

cheryl

Thank you so much Spencer Recovery. My son now has recovered from his severe depression. He’s now in the stable mind. Most of all he recognized his mistake and he is now moving forward. I wouldn\'t be happier with your service. Truly you guys are changing lives!

Emily

I don’t know the best words to express my gratitude to Spencer Recovery. After struggling with my substance abuse and going through all that trouble to make myself clean, I can finally be proud of myself and walk without any shame!

HRW

they are in it for the money not to help. Very Poor. they had no tjme for the individual

12 step introduction. ive been sober ever since

it worked charge a lot

Brian

This place and Spencer recovery is the worst... They moved my son all over the country from place to place. then they pushed him out on the street 2000 miles from his home...

Patrice

I wanted to personally thank Spencer by visiting there but unfortunately can’t be able. I am now residing in different state now but my experience with you will always be a part of me. With welcoming staffs and very very very respected and professional counselor, my deepest gratitude for helping me become I am who I am now. I will highly recommend you to everyone! Glad to have you at Yelp by the way!

Ralph

A remarkable rehabilitation for everyone who wants to have their lifestyle change. It’s a great break for you if you’re suffering for certain addiction. Spencer gives you not only how to break away from your vices, but also helps you enhance your mental and even spiritual life. My son had been suffering before but now, I can see the real and total change in his life! Be indebted by the assistance with your respected counselors! Exceptionally recommendable!

Cindy

Highly qualified doctors and loving staff. Overall facility is great to come to for rehab and counselors are also amazing. Highly and effectively recommendable!

Mattew

When I was visiting my friend at Spencer, I noticed how busy they were! They have lots of activities and sessions. I saw even one patient crying being counseled by counselor. My friend told me that he never felt being first time here because the staffs were very accommodating. The facility was also organized and clean. It’s a perfect view residing beside the wonderful beach.

ES

I went to Spencers over a year ago and it was by far the worst rehab I have ever been to. The state funded rehab in my city for people without insurance was better than this place. It is a big insurance scam, some of the people working there would agree with this as well. Let\'s see, they lied about everything on the phone just to get you there, the 1st thing everyone would say is this isent what they told me over the phone. The owner is crazy, I could go on about that. Do your research before you send a loved one, or you yourself goes to Spencer Recovery!!! I would strongly recommend finding another treatment center!!

Gloria

Very disappointed in this center. Sounds like this place is poorly run. I think they just want your insurance money and that seems to be priority.

M

Spencers Recovery Mattresses are all stained and a health hazard on both sides. There were Bed Bugs In 2 different rooms. But the mattresses where never replaced.

CS

Quite possibly the worst treatment center in Southern California. Absolutely shocking that the staff are still in this field. For families with enough money or the \"right insurance,\" they will keep couples (even young) together...and allow clients to skip groups. For clients that finish their program, they are often overworked and underpaid. Will often move clients across the country abruptly to their Florida facility when benefits are reduced. Shocking they\'re still operational.

Theresa

This place needs to be shut down. A total scam.DO NOT SEND LOVED ONES THERE.

kathi

I sent my son to this recovery center fo herion addition. Drove over 13 hours to get there as he would not fly. The web site and phone contacts looked beautiful. The place was a broken down motel. Dirty and there were people just walking around in and out on there own . No management to be found. I found the office and was told to wait outside. My son was kicked out of the facility for unknown reasons. Long story short I found a hotel room for my son and a kid from back east for the night. I have never found out why my son was removed. My insurence has never been billed. I am out 2,700.00 bucks. and still no one will return my calls. My son went to another place in his home town, doing very well. BE CAREFUL LOOKING ON LINE FOR REHABS. They will tell you what yoou want to hear to get your money.

Ashley

I had positive experience at Spencer recovery. I have been sober for almost two years. I was able to learn how to get and stay sober. My counselor helped me become independent. She guided me through dealing with my past relationships and with getting my relationship back with my mom after what I did to her. I really felt like my counselor cared about me and how I did.

Sammo

I loved it! It changed my life! If you ate not serious about your recovery obviously you will not be \"fixed\" One male councler saved my life, there are other GREAT ones to. I made amazing friendships and stayed 6 months. Not everything is fair, but it is recovery and you didn\'t make it there winning. I chose not to intern and focus solely on my recovery, I am still sober today. I recommend this place to any and everyone!!

PB

This place is awful. Mybson went there from Texas. I never heard from them about how he was doing. They called me once and left a message saying he had left the facility. Finally we got in touch with someone the next day, after not sleeping all night, and they said yea he returned. He ended up leaving again abweek later for good. He said the place is ran by kids who have only been sober for a couple of months. He was put in another treatment center and has been there for about two months and Is doing very well now.

Catherine

Cost effective and great location. Wreak staff. Spencer's is awesome. I got what i needed.

Marc

My daughter had a bad experience. Rehab and for that matter recovery depends solely on the person wanting to get better. Until that decision is made its a waste of time and money.

Catherine

I am a 48 yr old women. I had just lost my husband and 19yr old daughter. I was told I would get specialized psychiatric treatment. I saw a psychologist once in a 25 day stay. The house was appalling. Water leaks in every room, this is where you stay if you're not paying thousands out of pocket. The food is inedible, with no choices, there is no VIP chef. One of the administrators only cares about money and did not take our addictions seriously. I felt I was charged financially quite often. The physicians see you for no more than five minutes. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. All about the money. Please do not send your children to this place. Do your research, Spencer rehab does NOT care about their clients only the clients ' wallets.

Katie

It claimed to be "luxurious." The place was terrible. On my first day of detox, I had to go to a 6 am meeting because the owner was there & they wanted to look good. I think this facility is terrible and that it needs to be shut down; I felt as though the staff acted inappropriately.

DM

Not informed enough regarding what was expected at the facility and no compassion was shown. Very brief amount of time with nurse was allowed; my anxiety and depression became worse.

E.S.

This place is crooked and only cares about money. Clients with only a few months of sobriety act as counselors. Do not send your child here as you are risking a life.

Javier

I wish my son could have stayed at this program longer. Insurance pretty much covered the whole thing. I would definitely recommend this program. The program offered a great outreach program to our family. They set my son up with an outpatient program when he came home also. However, my son said that he didn't get much individualized treatment while he was there.

anonymous

Filthy conditions, stomach-turning food, just overall a bad experience. And I "graduated"

anonymous

Very individualized program. Definitely for those who can learn/live in an environment where trust is earned and rewarded with additional freedoms. Not for those who are not serious about recovery.

Sober living - 3 years

GL

I needed the geographic distance and time to begin recovery for which I will always be grateful for. I have been gifted with friendships that I hope will stay the course. The website did not deliver on most of their promises, and the number of relapses and early exits was quite high. Limited counseling sessions, unstructured.

Kim.

Chaotic atmosphere. Very overpriced. Not run well. The place is run by people unqualified. Patients become interns after one month of sobriety and are in leadership position. They only cared about the money...