St. Joseph Institute for Addiction in Port Matilda, PA

(3 of 5)
134 Jacobs Way
Port Matilda PA 16870

St. Joseph Institute for Addiction Philosophy

St. Joseph Institute offers a personalized approach to addiction treatment. Unlike most rehab programs, which use group therapy and a “one size fits all” approach, our highly trained counselors work one-on-one to help resolve the underlying issues that so often drive addiction. We believe in a holistic approach that brings healing to the whole person—body, mind, emotions, and spirit—using both state-of-the-art therapies and proven strategies. Our staff has expertise in treating chronic pain, trauma, PTSD, depression, anxiety, grief, and other issues that need to be addressed to achieve lasting recovery. We work with the major insurance companies, striving to make addiction treatment affordable without compromising quality. Located on a beautiful mountain-side in central Pennsylvania, our campus comprises elegant log and stone lodges, miles of walking trails, a spa and wellness center, gym, library, and chapel, and very private grounds, all of which contribute to a successful recovery experience.

• Recovery Education
    Clients are provided comprehensive addiction education coursework designed to instill individuals with a deeper understanding of addiction and prevent future relapses. Topics discussed include stress management, life skills, coping mechanisms, healthy habits, personal growth, self-awareness, and more.

• Dual Diagnosis
    St. Joseph specializes in addressing psychiatric and co-occurring substance abuse disorders in order to address each client as a holistic whole. Psychological issues discussed include anxiety, depression, trauma, insomnia, ADHD, and histories of abuse. Physical issues such as chronic pain, fatigue, nutrition issues, and allergies are taken into account as well.

Satisfaction rating of 93.7%

One of the best alcohol & drug abuse rehabs in the northeast

The "Best Value" in treatment for addiction

Dr. Gregory Famiglio, MD, MBA, ABAM

Medical Director

Dr. Famiglio is extraordinarily qualified with specialization in the treatment of addiction and chronic pain. He is board certified in both Addiction Medicine and Anesthesiology. His degrees are from MIT, Jefferson Medical College, and the University of Southern Florida. Dr. Famiglio’s residencies and fellowships were at Georgetown University Medical Center and Harvard Medical School. During more than 20 years of practice, he has been the medical director and staff physician at several large facilities and an associate professor in all aspects of medicine at Lock Haven University.

ABOUT ST. JOSEPH INSTITUTE FOR ADDICTION

St. Joseph Institute for Addiction in Port Matilda, Pa., offers a luxurious, resort-like setting for substance abuse treatment. The program offers residential treatment for those struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. The treatment process incorporates some faith-based elements. Staff members are trained to address trauma, abuse, PTSD, and other mental health issues, so those with co-occurring disorders can access appropriate care. Medically-assisted detox is offered, but it is only made available to those who plan to participate in the residential rehab program.

The treatment process at the St. Joseph Institute for Addiction generally lasts up to 30 days. The process involves a holistic approach supported by a spiritual treatment process. In treatment, clients undergo individual assessments that identify the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual states of clients before being prescribed an individual treatment plan. The assessment involves five assessment types: a medical evaluation, a counseling assessment, a physical therapy assessment, a bodywork assessment, and a fitness assessment.

The majority of the treatment process focuses on individual counseling supported by education on life skills, nutrition, fitness, pain management, and stress reduction. The program also incorporates group, family, and marital counseling. Clients can participate in a variety of bodywork offerings, including raindrop therapy, acupressure, and various types of massage.

St. Joseph’s Aftercare Program offers ongoing counseling support, alumni gatherings, online recovery education programs, and retreat programs to clients who completed the primary treatment process. Aftercare services also continue the holistic and spiritual approaches by encouraging clients to participate in religious and community groups.

The facility’s treatment team is comprised of a medical doctor, a psychiatrist, and counselors with advanced degrees and credentials. There is also a physical therapist, certified alcohol and drug counselors, education specialists, and a licensed social worker. The medical staff operates 24/7 to service the needs of clients. The facility also employees a range of administrative and facility maintenance staff members.

The center’s campus is located in the mountains of central Pennsylvania. Residents stay in log cabin-style buildings and share a bedroom with one other resident. The living quarters are decorated with natural wood paneling and country-chic furnishings. Food is prepared each day by the facility’s kitchen staff, and the facility accommodates vegetarian diets, food allergies, and gluten sensitivity. On-site amenities include a fitness room, lap pool and hot tub. There is also an AquaMed Dry Hydrotherapy bed, tennis courts, a basketball court, and a game room with a pool table among other amenities.

The eleven alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com to date gave St. Joseph mixed reviews, ranging from one to five out of five stars. Two alumni rated the facility five out of five stars in holistic offerings and four stars in individual counseling. Five alumni praised the facility’s atmosphere, hands-on staff, and nutritious food. Alum S.D.H. wrote: “It's a holistic center with an emphasis on gluten free which seems to help my diet.”

Five alumni, however, criticized the facility harshly for false advertising, poorly qualified staff personnel, and lack of communication with their families. Alum U. wrote: “My therapist was brand new and was very bitter to me from day one and was the worst therapist I ever had , I could not open up to her and I was punished for it.” Another alum, Steve, criticized the restrictive environment and wrote: “This institution values its own rigid rules over anyone's personal rehabilitation needs. Case in point. I was denied access to my sleeping medicine and have been a severe insomniac for over 20 years.”

On the St. Joseph Institute for Addiction’s official Facebook page, which it can manage, it earned 4.1 out of five stars based on 104 reviews to date.[1] Alumni happy with their experience noted the holistic and faith-based activities, such as an early morning prayer group, as alum Chris wrote: “ I was afforded the opportunity to find God again. The spiritual atmosphere is unlike any other ive ever felt. I loved it there. My days would start with a workout then I would proceed to the early morning prayer group. Starting my days on the right note.”

However, not all of the Facebook reviews were positive. Some of the most negative reviews mentioned that alumni were not able to maintain their sobriety. Alum Christine indicated that the facility was not equipped to manage co-occurring disorders and wrote: “Not a dual diagnosis facility as advertised. They are not equipped to deal with mentally ill people who also have addiction problems. They deal well with addiction, but their expertise ends with that.”

On Google, the facility received 3.2 out of five stars from 12 reviews. [2] Much like the Facebook reviews, alumni on Google complimented the facility for its treatment effectiveness.

On CiteHealth, the facility had 3.67 out of five stars from three reviews at the time of this writing. [3] Two reviewers praised the staff members and the program, while the other claimed that the facility “is an example of giving families hope while taking their cash. The staff are incompetent and not in recovery.” These sentiments also existed in the negative third party reviews on other third party websites.

At the time of this writing, Rehabs.com has received six reviews for St. Joseph’s. Contrary to alumni feedback across sites, five of the reviews were negative and just one was positive.

The loved ones criticized the facility for its heavy-handed religious components, high cost of treatment, broken equipment, lack of communication, and poorly trained staff. Loved ones rated the counseling options at three out of five stars or lower. Loved one Gail wrote: “very basic accommodations and terrible food…The people who led the programs seemed to be more interested in redemption than recovery.”

St. Joseph responded to negative reviews stating that they fix equipment that has broken and must sometimes remove noncompliant clients for the safety of their other clients, relying on the local hospital or other resources to further treat the client.

St. Joseph Institute for Addiction accepts private insurance options. However, it is not able to accept public insurance options including Medicare or Medicaid. For those who opt for self-pay, fees range from $18,500 to $26,500 for the 30-day program. Financial assistance is available for those that qualify. Payment in full is expected at the beginning of service unless otherwise noted. Payments can be made through wire transfers, major credit cards, and personal checks.

[1] https://www.facebook.com/pg/StJosephRehab/reviews
[2] https://goo.gl/NjXv6n
[3] http://citehealth.com/rehab-centers/pennsylvania/cities/port-matilda/st-joseph-institute-inc

Published on October 2017

poor

I had a positive experience. The place was clean{kudo's to the housekeeping}. The food was very good. The nurse's were great. No place is perfect and at St Joe's the staff IMHO is unmanned and overworked which can lead to disorganization. They try very hard, however they need more help. All the employee's I met were dedicated to helping the 'residents' overcome their addiction. I was there during winter, yet the property is nice and am certain in the warmer months it is scenic with a calm peaceful effect. I would recommend this rehab to others/love ones

Strengths:staff Weakness:number of staff. a friend of the family was there and they were good.

I spend a lot of time looking at rehab centers and I chose St Joes because of what they told me on the phone and saw on the website. I had special business needs and was assured if I towed the line I would be given access to things that one would not ordinarily get in rehab. I didn't want to be treated special. I run a business and intake told me they catered to business people, lawyers doctors etc. All of it was a lie. Hell the water didn't work in 3 out of the 6 buildings on site. When I approached the director about my concerns she told me "Do you think your special?" No, I wanted what I was promised and what I was paying for. I was not court ordered so they had no leverage over me. Don't believe they don't take Medicaid, that is a lie. I was sold on the fact that is was a rehab center tailoring to the needs of business professionals primarily dealing with alcohol issues. Nothing was further from the truth. Of the 45 people there 8 were over 30. The rest were court ordered heroin addicts simply trying to hook up with each other. The grounds are spectacular, the staff is kind but very short handed, they complain about it constantly. The admin staff is evil. They spend their time wrangling in the 22 year olds, there is no recovery care of any substance. I could go on and on. Send a love one there or go there yourself at your own peril. I left after 8 days. Found the help I needed from a far more reputable place

I'm completely torn about my experience with SJI. The clinical, therapeutic and support staff are second to none and I owe my life to them. If you want help, this is the place to go. On the other hand, the administration of this facility's background is in corrections, and it is run like a prison. Their "expert" admissions and financial team is an absolute joke, and do not advocate with insurance companies on the patients behalf like reputable treatment facilities do. It is painfully clear that the parent company, Summit Behavioral Health Care is only in it for the money. The website is completely deceptive. One of my biggest gripes was that it was not supposed to be an alternative to jail. Well, let me tell you, there was a ton of people there pending charges and only there in lieu of additional jail time or to be out of jail awaiting trial. The staff was really hamstrung as to what they could do to discourage disruptive behavior by these individuals. While I was there, there was an individual assaulted with a sock full of rocks, and another individual who was pending vehicular homicide, who had been there for 2 months already, and did nothing but sleep with females and threaten other males. Also one of the male staff members attacked one of the patients and was subsequently fired, but shocking. They also just had there allowable beds upped to take in more patients, but they're housing 4 people to a room in a windowless basement, which is ridiculous. Bottom line, I'm thankful for those there who helped me, but if you or your loved one is an adult, who doesn't want to deal with immaturity, threats, and inmates, I'd run away!

This institution values its own rigid rules over anyone's personal rehabilitation needs. Case in point. I was denied access to my sleeping medicine and have been a severe insomniac for over 20 years. I feel is safe to say imposition of sleep deprivation and facilitating recovery is an oxymoron. It is equally ironic nicotine use is permitted - I thought only God able to choose which additive drugs are OK and which are not.

Drove 3 hours to get my son treatment at St.Josephs was told all the rules upon admission. This all was in January 2017, was told they could NOT, be in walking trails alone, no visitors allowed in patients room, all the rules sounded good but unfortunately didn't get enforced!!!! Our first visit we had to sit in a two hour meeting for family members. Counselor did not have presentation ready, couldn't get slide show to work, started without it. Then another staff member came in got it started for her and left, all that and she still couldn't get it to enlarge on screen for families to be able to read. We were told at this meeting that we should expect rude and disrespectful behavior from our loved ones even though we are family (REPEATEDLY) then we phone calls constantly from staff complaining about our sons behavior. After meeting we saw a female visitor coming out of patient room with her boyfriend,people walking in the woods unsupervised. Then three weeks into treatment we get a call to come get him...On visiting day we saw several staff member conversating amongst themselves and patients and visitors were left to walk trails alone. Very upset that I drove my son 157 miles from home only for him to have opportunity to use while he was in this facility (unsupervised)!!!! Visitors including myself and my wife are not searched or even at least asked to empty their pockets upon entry into facility.With what this facility and others are changing insurance and families for their so called care I think that they need a review board to look into the failure rate base on my personal opinion for failing many of these patients. They are all ready to get their pay checks but call family members and complain about behavior that they themselves tell us family members to expect. Kick patients out or as they put " ask them to leave " because staff members failed to their job and keep drugs out of the Facility!!! 157 miles from home and he gets drugs IN the place that is supposed to be helping him. Second time dealing with this place,first time different owner they put him on a bus two days after detox because of his bad adittude and sent him home, we got the call after he was bus. Only to be assured by new owners that he would not be thrown at under this ownership. My opinion is two different owners two failures by both!!!!! But they still got paid? This epidemic is not going away anytime soon!!!!!!

Do not choose this place based on the website as it is completely false advertising. Prior to March 2016 it was privately owned by this one woman. She sold it in March to Summit Behavioral Health, who clearly are in it for the $. While the cost is listed on the website as $26,500 if you're self-paying, beware if you have private insurance. To date my insurance company has been billed $2,000 a day!! For 30 days that is a total of $60K, which is completely outrageous given you only have 8 one-on-one counseling sessions, you can't hike the trails without staff, they do accept court-ordered residents and those who don't want to be there (opposite of the website claim), the food is not at all nutritious (canned vegetables, canned soup, frozen scrambled eggs, dreadful meat, hardly any fish). Not to mention the holistic and spiritual approach are being phased out thanks to a corporation taking over.

Wife was sent there to deal with depression and to detox off Suboxone. St. Joes looked perfect. A place that would treat her addiction and mental health issues. Facility did not have everything they promise on their website. Pool and hotub were broken and did not offer Celebrate Recovery as an alternative to AA/NA. She had a issue with the nursing staff the first day and reported it. She was then retaliated against and singled out. Very unprofessional. After 5 days I was told she needed to be sent to the local hospital for a mental health evaluation and could be admitted. I drove the 5 hours to get her that night and picked her up from the hospital who said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her that would merit being admitted to a psych ward. Where we went back to St. Joes to get her property, we had to wait an hour outside the gate for them to bring it to us even though they knew we were coming to get it. All in all I am very disappointed in this place. We had such high hopes and got suckered in by a fancy web site. It seems that when they have a difficult or treatment resistant patient, they run them out rather than putting in the work to really help them. Not every person who goes to a rehab will buy into the program right away. If everyone could change that easily, they would not be addicts in the first place. St, Joes might be the place for you or your loved one, but they failed us.

At St. Joseph's, we believe that recovery requires a supportive, stable environment, and we make every effort to provide that for our residents. From our state-of-the-art facilities to our research-based recovery program, we strive to create a rich community where our residents feel safe. When the hot tub breaks down, we fix it. When someone violates a rule that endangers our community, for instance, we remove them. We do not blame the individual; we understand that alcohol and drug addiction is often accompanied by mental and physical health issues that sometimes escalate beyond our capacity to safely address. When that occurs, we rely on the local hospital and other resources to help us find that person the appropriate treatment. In short, we care about our residents as individuals, and we desire long-term health for all of them. In some rare and unfortunate cases when a resident's behavior jeopardizes the recovery of everyone else, we must take action on behalf of the many.

Structure, Detox were good. Food, Lack of communication with family were bad points.If you want to send your daughter or son, I say go for it. If you are sending your husband, be careful because the number of female patients in their early 20's was way higher than I anticipated and my marriage was almost ruined by my husband texting a young lady non stop for the first month he was home before I caught on. Yes, he shouldn't have done this, but she shouldn't have either. St. Joseph should quit worrying about the money & screen their potential patients better. The young adults that were there did not promote a healing environment and seemed like they created more drama than a frat party. While my husband came home sober, it would have been nice if he wasn't given the opportunity to become "friends" with young women while in a vulnerable state.

I don't think there are any real caring people here.They are rigid,strict and do not adequately feed the patients. After i made the 3 hour trip to get my son upon completing the program, i was left locked outside the gate for 15 minutes where a helper was just going to send him out to me. WOW. Not even a brief meet and greet with the counselor, or a chance to meet some of my sons friends. NOP. Here is your hat what is your hurry. You have already paid your money. So long. Also the day before on our very one and only family session by phone, when i asked the counselor how to find good after care origrams... I was yelled at.

This is nightmare place. They called me and wanted to take him to a mental ward. We immediately picked him up, paid and can not believe they are still in business. That's the key word. It's a business not a place to go for help. I would never ever recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Program needs more connectivity although the exercise programs were good

The best ever God brought me to St. Joseph's Institute, It saved my life! Thank you for everything you did. May God bless you all!

This "treatment center" is only after your money. I do not believe in 12 steps and was told I would not have to do the 12 steps, but that was a lie. If you don't participate, you get a strike (3 strikes and you must sign a contract to commit). I was told they are dual diagnosis, but there is no psychiatrist on staff there and the counselors are not adequately trained to deal with many disorders the clients come there to get help with. They do NOT deal with personality disorders of ANY KIND, so if you have such a problem, this place is definitely NOT for you. The food was absolutely disgusting. For what they charge, the food should be top notch. I do not recommend this facility to anyone.

This is NOT a dual diagnosis center as they advertise. They have no idea how to deal with mental illness at all. The meals are not very tasty and there is usually not enough food served for male patients as they usually are still hungry after eating.

So far my family member has been in the program for 3 weeks and I have noticed No sort of improvement in their stability in mental health. They are also being treated For alchole addiction. They have a severe angziety disorder and are being treated with Homeopathic herbs wich are obviously not working leading to more panic attacks than usual. I would also like to add that for a month treatment it cost just under $10,000. And they will call you and try to get a lot more money from your family with bogus phone therapy sessions that are stated to be extreamly bennifitial to your loved one. Are they not their for this therapy already????

I was very excited to attend and was very interested in the holistic program , was very determined to get it right this time . However I had a bad experience due to 3 staff members singling me out . The two tecs wrote me up on several occasions which were completely not true . So my fate was fully in there unprofessional powertrippin hands . My therapist was brand new and was very bitter to me from day one and was the worst therapist I ever had , I could not open up to her and I was punished for it . She knew nothing about what a addict goes thru. Also noticed that very very few of staff was an addict themselves , causing a very big difference in the way you are treated and feel. They asked me to leave for very petty reasons ,I was struggling a lot to bounce back was in a lot of emotional pain as well as physical which I was only given a hard time about .

St. Joseph Institute is, by far, an outstanding treatment facility. The campus itself is breathtakingly beautiful in a secluded area in the woods where residents can enjoy the tranquil wilderness. With its environment of log cabins, it gives residents the feeling of "home" and safety. The program itself provides structure, stability and security, while provoking the recovering addict or alcoholic to dig deep within themselves to find the willingness to surrender. The intensive individual counseling is top-of-the-line. Because of the residential maximum occupancy being 24, each resident is treated with care and true compassion; they are not just another number. The staff is hands-on with the residents, teaching classes, and interacting, guiding, and cheering the resident's road to recovery on from the moment they enter the facility. The love and support one feels from the staff at St. Joseph's is truly humbling. Past residents, like myself, are able to come back and visit, attend meetings, and reconnect with the staff and former residents at bi-yearly reunions. All it takes is one moment of willingness to get started toward the path to recovery. My moment began on May 24, 2011 at St. Joseph Institute and I have been sober ever since. In April 2011, I was shooting heroin and pain pills three times a day and headed straight for jail or death. Instead, I chose St. Joseph Institute and today, I am 4 years sober and just completed my first year of graduate school. I could not have gotten sober without taking the first step at St. Joe's!

St. Joseph is a beautiful facility in a tranquil setting. It is a spiritual place, very Christian, but no religion is forced on you. The meals are nutritious, the staff helpful, and surroundings superb. My insurance did not cover my treatment, so the staff was very helpful in assisting me to get credit, which I could pay back. I found the education about addiction very informative, and was very glad I ended up in such a lovely facility. I am 18 months clean now, and I would recommend St. Joseph to anyone who needs help.

St. Joseph Institute saved my life. I was addicted to alcohol and almost died the week prior to entering St. Joseph. When I entered the program, I told myself, "I am only addicted a little bit. I can quit drinking anytime I want to. LOOK at these other people...they are soooo far worse than me!! I have a job! I never miss work. I am never late for work. I only drink vodka at night and only vodka after 10 PM. HOW can I be an alcoholic?" That thinking and so much more was changed at St. Joseph with their highly effective educational program, their caring, individual attention and highly effective treatment program which was a holistic approach. Some complained about the food, staff, religious aspect and accommodations. I appreciated the nutritious food, caring staff, religious aspect and pleasant accommodations. The staff and employees went above and beyond to help me and to provide me with the tools to be totally free of alcohol the rest of my life. I understand this will be a lifelong journey for me, but I feel St. Joseph prepared me well. I am very fortunate to have attended, and I am forever grateful to the staff for saving my life.

I loved St. Joe's because they respected you as a resident. They were wonderful people to deal with and I loved the focus on mind, body and soul. It's a holistic center with an emphasis on gluten free which seems to help my diet. I have nothing but wonderful memories about it and to this day, I miss it immensely.

This facility had NO effect on my husbands diagnosis. They were incompetent in giving meds, slightly aggressive towards him when he determined he wanted to leave, very basic accommodations and terrible food. They are very religious - which would be fine for some people however, my husband went there to recover and change his addictive behaviors, not be brought back to Jesus. The people who led the programs seemed to be more interested in redemption than recovery. Some of the rules were not for the help of the patient but for the health of the owner of the facility. However, they were very good about getting our money back to us via the insurance.

Sometimes it is hard to respond to comments when they do not seem to describe reality. For example. 1. The Institute has a medical team led by a doctor who is Board certified in addiction treatment -- and who is passionate about helping people get their lives back on track. 2. Our campus was built to "feel" like a country resort with accommodations and amenities similar to a quality hotel. 3. The Institute is a leader in Nutritional Therapy, helping our residents regain physical health and emotional balance with carefully prepared meals and whole-food supplements. The kitchen staff strives to ensure that each meal is tasty and nutritious. 4. We offer a faith-based program, and encourage our residents to explore spiritual questions as they seek to gain a new sense of purpose in their lives. We never try to impose our Christian beliefs or criticize those of others