St. Joseph's Rehabilitation Center, Inc. in Saranac Lake, NY

Call (518) 891-3950 to Contact St. Joseph's Rehabilitation Center, Inc.

159 Glenwood, PO Box 470
Saranac Lake NY 12983

St. Joseph's Rehabilitation Center, Inc. Philosophy

Nestled in the Adirondack Mountains, St. Joseph's addiction treatment centers promote healing and recovery for chemically dependent individuals throughout New York State. As a leader in addiction treatment services since 1971, we understand the importance of personal and professional growth. We continuously strive to advance and expand our program offerings, incorporating progressive therapies with evidence-based practices.

St. Joseph's offers premier treatment services with a commitment to providing professional, effective and comprehensive care. Our experienced staff is dedicated to helping those who suffer from addiction and our belief in the spiritual nature, inherent dignity and fundamental worth of each individual contributes to the success of our clinical approach.

Program innovation and evolution, responsiveness to the changing needs of our clients and continuous quality improvements continue to be the hallmarks of our professional efforts and distinguish us from other treatment centers. St. Joseph's mission and philosophy drive us to create a future that will support and enhance our standards of excellence and positive treatment outcomes and longstanding standard of excellence .

• Out Patient
    Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Lakeside

Robert Ross

CEO

ABOUT ST. JOSEPH’S REHABILITATION CENTER

St. Joseph's Rehabilitation Center provides a continuum of care to adult men and women. Nestled in New York’s Adirondack Mountains in Saranac, N.Y., St. Joseph’s offers residential treatment and aftercare services, though detox is not available on-site.

Upon admission, a multidisciplinary treatment team is assigned to the client. A comprehensive biopsychosocial evaluation is completed within three days. Each clients’ length of stay varies, but clients stay an average of 90 days.

St. Joseph’s combines evidence-based practices with holistic activities. Clients participate in medication management, 12-step meetings, and spiritual groups. The 12-step program is used in 74.5 percent of New York’s facilities and has long-term and spiritual healing components. Clients attend individual and group counseling sessions that focus on anger management, relapse prevention, and conflict resolution.

The facility’s holistic offerings include yoga, aerobics, arts and crafts, and hiking. Educational lectures on addiction, self-esteem, relapse prevention, and related issues are held often. For those interested, pastoral care focused on forgiveness, spirituality, and grief issues is available.

The family program includes support groups as well as educational services to help them cope with the recovery process. Companion rooms are available for families to stay in when they are on campus for the family sessions. Lunch is also provided during their stay.

Clients that complete the primary treatment program have access to the aftercare program. St. Joseph’s has two sober living facilities for alumni to stay in while transitioning out of care. During their stay, clients continue their counseling while enjoying more freedom to seek outside entertainment, jobs, and other activities.

St. Joseph provides services for adolescents and veterans in addition to adults at six outpatient facilities it operates.

St. Joseph's employs 139 employees throughout the residential and outpatient facilities. The treatment staff includes licensed counselors, clergy, and nurses. Volunteers and interns are also available at times to help with services.

Residential treatment is co-ed, and clients can take advantage of St. Joseph’s location by hiking, walking, and snowshoeing. There are rooms for families to stay in during family sessions. There are also sober living facilities for alumni.

At the time of this writing, seven alumni provided mostly positive feedback about St. Joseph’s to Rehabs.com. Alumni surveyed provided positive feedback about the staff and the facility’s overall treatment curriculum. Many noted success with the facility’s long-term program. Patrick praised: “Long term (at least 3 months) was also necessary for me to have any real change. 28 days is a great start but not nearly enough.”

Holistic Offerings: 4.3/5
Family Participation: 3.6/5
Cleanliness: 3.9/5

Alum E.C. wrote: “I relapsed afterwards but I carry the tools that I learned there in my recovery now. I would send my son or daughter there if they were in need of treatment.”

St. Joseph received negative feedback from two alumni. Lisa noted problems with communicating with staff and would not recommend treatment at the facility. P.M.H. called the center “worse than jail.”

On Google, St. Joseph's Addiction Treatment & Recovery Center has an average rating of 3.5 out of five stars from 18 reviews to date.[1] While a few reviews mentioned some privacy concerns where confidential information was revealed during family sessions, most of the reviews suggested the programs was effective with “Great counseling” and the possibility for making “a lot of friends.”

Sixteen loved ones gave positive feedback to Rehabs.com to date, with loved ones praising the staff and the overall cleanliness of the facility. Patrick called the facility “1st rate at helping the family understand addictions and how to effectively deal with it.” Noreen wrote: “They have an excellent family weekend which is very intense ...it's a very good part of the program.” Loved ones did not seem impressed with the facility’s holistic offerings. Detailed polling data was collected by Rehabs.com from between six to eight loved ones.

Holistic Offerings: 2.9/5
Family Participation: 3.4/5
Cleanliness: 4.5/5
Affordability: 4/5

One anonymous staffer gave lukewarm feedback about St. Joseph’s to Rehabs.com at this time of writing. “It is a good treatment program and does an adequate job, while not being overly expensive...this one does good work with the resources it has,” they wrote. The staff member gave three out of five stars for fair pricing and honesty, with two stars for job satisfaction and when asked about receiving a fair salary.

On Glassdoor, St. Joseph's Addiction Treatment & Recovery Center has a three and a five out of five star review at the time of this writing.[2] While staff provided positive feedback about the “amazing and welcoming” coworkers, one staff member indicated that “Management teams aren't always willing to listen or prioritize when issues arise.” The former staff member also wrote how the departments “are working off of old software, limited resources, and this can cause miscommunications and tension.”

St. Joseph’s accepts most private insurance plans. In New York, 79.1 percent of the treatment facilities accept private insurance. The facility is also supported by donations.

CONCLUSION

In January 2019, Adirondack Daily Enterprise reported that St. Joseph’s Addiction Treatment and Recovery Centers fired a staffer following accused intimacy with a patient. “St. Joseph’s remains focused on the welfare of our clients, including specifically the clients in our Veterans Program, and will continue to cooperate with law enforcement in this process,” St. Joe’s Communication Director Jim Grant wrote in an email.

St. Joseph’s Addiction Treatment and Recovery Centers "purchased a property which will become a detox center, 24/7 open access center and permanent home outpatient clinic," reported the Watertown Daily Times in 2019.

[2] https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/St-Joseph-s-Addiction-Treatment-and-Recovery-Center-Reviews-E1097883.htm

Published on February 2019

Serena H.

I recently attended family visit for 3 days. I cannot even begin to express the welcome environment. The Counselors are amazing, very kind, and compassionate. I learned more about myself in 3 days than I would ever imagine. We were provided the opportunity to express ourse!ves, to learn. There were many tears, many laughs, and the bonding with other Families is an experience I will never forget. The schedule was rigorous, and I was able to spend real quality time with my Son. Thank you so much for the incredible experience! And Special Thanks to my Sons Counselors, and the Hosts. It truly was the most productive 3 days, and so well worth the time. The accommodations, the food, the staff, the residents were 5 plus stars!

Jim

This was the best of all the rehabs I attended over the years of my addiction. (Saranac Lake) The food was amazing and we were taught manners at the dinner table. We talked about our deepest issues in small group. The Spirituality is unmatched anywhere, and I'm not Catholic!!!! I had two very deep spiritual connections with my God while staying here and doing the work I was asked to. The year was 1997 it was winter we shoveled lots of snow and went to outside meetings in Lake Placid and other local areas even if it was snowing. The family week was amazing though I did not like many things said, I needed to hear it. I needed to hear about everything that was said to me. I took it all in. Though I did use again after leaving I soon became clean and have been so for many years with no desire to ever go back. I think it was this place that saved my life it is by far the only place I would ever send one of my family members to!

SB

I was given a choice of where to get an evaluation as required for receiving cash help from dss. when I receive the notice in the mail St.Joes was circled in yellow high light pen that it was St Joes or no help from DSS,,There were three different that I could have chosen but DSS chose for me.The evaluation is BS they say in their advertising it only takes 2 or 3 days,, here's the BS,,in my case it took 5 weeks 45 minutes a session, During the evaluation it was ASSUMED that I was on probation ( I was 36 years ago) these " treatment professionals" had no clue if I was or wasn't. Next was getting put in a group with two DWI's and a hopeless alcoholic.My problem was using cannabis for relief of chronic arthritis pain ( Works for me) Then comes the pee tests, Positive at first then tapering off until the last one which was positive for PCP!!! Never touched the stuff!! well now we had a problem. Here they come! they marched in got into my face and said "you are going to rehab,, For what?? Smoking cannabis to manage arthritis symptoms. I immediately told them to F*** O** and out the door I went. Incidentally cannabis was legalized for recreational use in Colorado one month previously. Don't fall for the BS. If you sign the papers it's worse than being in jail, They control your every move when to eat when to sleep, what news you see ect. And finally I refuse them of useing me as a tool to screw over the insurance companies and or Medicaid.

J & H

We have a son in St.Josephs. On family visit time we came here to visit and have sessions with our son and all the counselors. Out of all the places we have been I must say this was the best one EVER. It was amazing to see all the work these counselors put into your loved ones. My son did not want to leave and hasn't yet but will remain about 2 more months. We were so pleases at the cleanliness and the food was great and trust me they get more food then they can eat. They made our stay very pleasant for the 3 days and nights we were there. We are more than pleased with what they have done and still doing for our son. We met amazing families there and we all connected so well. Felt like we knew each other and we will remain as a group for we felt we were family. Thank you St Joes for doing such an amazing thing for our loved ones. They truly care about everyone. The residents will say its very strict but I call it STRUCTURE something they don't have. Would recommend this place highly.

Lisa

this place has to be one of the most disgusting gross places I talked someone and got an interview and they asked if I was gay... I'm a person like a EVERYONE else and wanted help... I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone there very rude here also

Good facility.

DDB

Great!

The staff are great, friendly, and reliable. I think that it could use a little more funding. They are professional and help you under stand how the program and treatment works. They provide excellent care for their patients.

An OK facility.

i did not personally attend the facility, my mother did. they were very good about including family in her treatment process...the facility ecourgaed inclusion of family members

Faculty, cleanliness, support. I did not personally go here but someone close to me did and they did wonderfully. I appreciate the facility.

It was clean and the people were treated well. Relapses seem to be a common problem so treatment doesn't seem too effective. It largely just send like a fairly standard rehabilitation center.

RAVB

I have been sober 43 years. I had negative feelings for St. Joes at first but after the great counseling and after care changed my life.

PB

I attended a half way house as aftercare treatment and relapsed there. I was not permitted to re-enter.

Patrick

Strengths include: long term program, counselors and staff that honestly care, strict, 12 step based, men/women separate, saved my life. However, there was not enough food, small rooms, bad beds. I've been to several different rehabs within the past 5 or so years and this was finally the one that got through to me. I have been to extremely nice facilities that were way more comfortable but comfort won't get you sober. Long term (at least 3 months) was also necessary for me to have any real change. 28 days is a great start but not nearly enough.

Clean, mix of modern and traditional treatments. Excellent people. As a non addicted family member of an alcoholic/addict - they are 1st rate at helping the family understand addictions and how to effectively deal with it. There is excellent follow up and after care for the actual St. Joe participant. Excellent facility. A life saver.

Noreen

Strong bonds are made; there are no interactions made with the opposite sex. However, they do not have enough family input and it is very expensive. They have an excellent family weekend which is very intense ...it's a very good part of the program.

Sharon

This facility provides care for teens. Strength lies with dual diagnosis cases. Since my son has been there it has changed their 'philosophy'. It used to be one strike you're out type of thing. Now they make allowances for relapse. My son had was considered a dual diagnosis case. He'd been to four types of hospitals/treatment centers in a three month period. Prior to his being discharged from a treatment center, he needed to be placed in a residential treatment facility equipped to treat a dual diagnostic 15 year old. We were turned away from treatment facilities across New York State. No one would take my son. Said he was too risky. He had even been turned down from the Villa early in his stay at the previous facility. Out of desperation, I called each and every center he was turned away from: hospitals, treatment facilities, and religious organization. Didn't matter. No one would take him. Said he was 'uncontrollable'. Be as it may, he needed help and we couldn't have him return to our home. Finally, I called St. Joseph's Villa. I was told previously they had no bed available. But I called again. They had an opening and were willing to take him on the condition they meet him first. So we drove the two hours to Rochester. We/he met with the director and she agreed to take him. A few days later he was admitted into the facility. It was life changing experience for him. Having been in several facilities prior, and due to his condition, he was overly medicated. Between the psychiatrist on staff at the Villa and therapy, his meds were reduced and monitored. He completed the six month program! Was able to return home again. We've have some struggles. Not with relapse. He's remained sober. He's doing extremely well. Will be graduating high school this year with his sister. Considering all he has been through, he was able to catch up and will graduate only a year later than he should have. He learned a lot of coping skills. Learned about his sobriety and is truly grateful for having been given another chance in life. If the director (retired since) had not given him a chance, I'm not sure my son would be with us today.

MG

I was very displeased with the facility.

HJB

They had Family/intervention/reconciliation events.

One counselor does as little as possible. Nothing has happened to her and her patients often leave before completing treatment out of anger and frustration. It is a good treatment program and does an adequate job, while not being overly expensive. It is getting more and more difficult to keep facilities open.; this one does good work with the resources it has.

EC

Outstanding program...I have been to 7 different rehabs an am now clean for over 4 years. St. Joes was by far the best program I've ever seen. I relapsed afterwards but I carry the tools that I learned there in my recovery now. I would send my son or daughter there if they were in need of treatment.

PMH

It was worse than jail. ...

Lauren

I highly recommend this facility due to their extended 90 day program. I don't feel 28 days is enough. I also recommend this for their strict daily routines. It is difficult at the time but in retrospect is necessary to get people with addictions back on track.