StepHouse Recovery in Fountain Valley, CA

10529 Slater Avenue
Fountain Valley CA 92708

StepHouse Recovery Philosophy

The drug and alcohol rehabilitation center aims to reduce the relapse rate of the local recovery community by offering a premier, multiphasic treatment modality. StepHouse Recovery has a philosophy of individualized and comprehensive care.

• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
    EMDR is a highly specific, research-validated form of therapy that can help people overcome traumatic stress, anxiety and depression. With EMDR, a trained practitioner uses bilateral stimulation, eye movement and touch to stimulate parts of the brain as a patient recounts certain experiences and memories as a way to more thoroughly process uncomfortable, painful feelings.

• Creative Arts Therapy
    Writing, making art or engaging in theater can be deeply therapeutic for people working to recover from addiction. Many facilities offer one or several forms of creative arts therapy as a way to help patients learn to express their feelings in productive ways.

30-60-90 Day Programs

Individualized Treatment

Extended Care

ABOUT STEPHOUSE RECOVERY

Based in the oceanside community of California’s Fountain Valley, StepHouse Recovery offers residential and outpatient treatment to adults struggling with substance use disorder or co-occurring disorders. The facility also provides medical detox, which is available in just 15 percent of non-hospital residential treatment facilities in California.

Prior to admission, clients at StepHouse Recovery undergo an in-person diagnostic assessment to help determine what level of care is most appropriate.

Residential treatment typically lasts 30 to 45 days. The center’s approach to treatment is based on 12-step principles and includes individual and group therapy. There is also a strong focus on addiction education and relapse prevention. In addition, the facility may utilize Vivitrol to minimize the discomfort of opioid withdrawal and curb cravings.

Outpatient options include a partial hospitalization program (PHP), which is a treatment level available in just 18.5 percent of facilities in the state. It meets for five hours a day, six days a week. There's also an intensive outpatient program (IOP), which is available in 39.4 percent of California facilities and meets for three hours a day, five days a week.

According to the facility's website, StepHouse's medical director has more than 20 years of experience as a board-certified psychiatrist specializing in addiction treatment.

The facility offers 85 beds in gender-specific residential homes located in quiet, peaceful neighborhoods. The facilities offer private and semi-private bedrooms, fully equipped kitchens, and large backyards.

Of the 12 former clients surveyed by Rehabs.com to date, seven gave the facility negative feedback and six gave it positive feedback. Unhappy alumni complained about a lack of therapy, unprofessional staff, and run-down and overcrowded living facilities. "The houses are filthy, we all have a chore at the house to do everyday to keep it clean, a lot of women did not feel the need to do there chores. The houses are never locked," one anonymous alum wrote in a review representative of negative feedback.

Satisfied former clients, on the other hand, reported that the treatment was effective, the housing was adequate, and the staff were knowledgeable and compassionate. "This place got me sober. The staff cared about me and my therapist continues to be a person I trust," wrote an anonymous alum in a review representative of negative feedback.

StepHouse fared well on secondary review sites, where it earned average ratings of four out of five stars based on 19 Google reviews [1] and three out of five stars based on seven Yelp reviews [2]. Across both sites, the majority of clients who left comments reported positive experiences with both the treatment and the staff. "Stephouse saved my life. If you really want to be clean and learn a new way of life, this is the place! But with all things....you must put in the work," Alley wrote in a representative review on Google.

To date, the two loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com offered opposing opinions of the facility. P.J.E. reported that his daughter did well in the program and wrote: "She fought it at first, but as she got sober, with the help of a lot of therapy, she came to love the place." Lisa, on the other hand, indicated that she felt the facility was poorly run, unsafe, and unprofessional and wrote: "My opinion is that they are in it for the money not the people."

The facility accepts some private insurance, as well as Medi-Cal and Medicare, the latter of which is accepted by only 20.8 percent of treatment facilities in California. Fees start at $1,000 for a month and $3,000 for 90 days. Sliding scale fees are available to clients who qualify.

[2] https://www.yelp.com/biz/stephouse-recovery-fountain-valley

Published on August 2019

LE

I stayed at Stephouse for 4 1/2 mo. My daughter found this place so I could find myself again. I am a recovering alcoholic. The CEO told my daughter that I would be in the with woman around my age, that I would be eating nutritious food, that I would go on outing, yoga, acupuncture ect. What a line of bullshit. This place is all about money. My daughter was not told when I arrived, that I would be put in Detox. I did not meed to detox, they got me in there knowing they did not have a room. I got a room after 3 days. The food is only served in Detox and it is horrible, the staff sometimes cooks dinners which are corn dogs, frozen pizza ect. When I was transferred to the sober living I had to by my own food. You have to wait to got to the store with the house manager to get your food until you are off blackout so you can have the food from the donations which most of to id expired till you get to the store. It took 2 weeks for me to get a Therapist. I spent 6 hrs waiting to see the Dr. and it was a nurse practitioner. The houses are filthy, we all have a chore at the house to do everyday to keep it clean, a lot of women did not feel the need to do there chores. The houses are never locked. The house managers at night did not have keys. During the day when we are being taken to groups the house are not locked. i tried for 4 mos. to get them to get keys. I complained to everyone and I was told it would be fixed it never was. On Dec 11, 2017 we were told thy were closing the doors and we had to be out by Dec. 29, 2017. I was going home in January anyway but it displaced these woman. While I was at home for Christmas I was told I needed to come get my things because they were closing on Dec 27 instead of Dec 29. Many of these women relapsed while staff went on vacation, they run the place. I was ask to sign discharge papers stating I was leaving against staff advice…..really! I new from the first week I was there it was a sham. I stayed because I had a great therapist and in the home we gave each other hope for a better life. Stephouse needs to be held accountable for there actions

SRS

Following the rules was the hardest part at first. But everything at stephouse is about helping me. Been here for almost a year.

BLR

This place got me sober. The staff cared about me and my therapist continues to be a person I trust. Also, this place was the least expensive.

NJ

This facility has helped me tremendously with my therapy. People complain and say it's a bunch of interns.. What they DONT know is a lot of them have their license in SOMETHING already.. Just because they need more hours does NOT mean they are any less qualified then someone who has put in all their hours. Anyways.. My therapy sessions are without a doubt the biggest strength here at step house. Also, it depends on your therapist, I just happen to have an amazing one who I CHOOSE to utilize, while other people just take advantage of and complain about instead of reaping the benefits.There is definitely favoritism among clients.Step House Recovery has SAVED my life. You can get sober anywhere you want if you want to put in the work.. However, this place has put a roof over my head, has given me therapy, structure, and responsibility. People complain that they only care about money, this, that and the other thing.. But that's what the MAJORITY of rehabs are like. And a lot of them don't offer things like StepHouse. If people don't want to stay sober, they aren't going to and they are going to find any reason to put a bad name on something so they can blame something or someone else for as to why they can't stay sober. If that's the case and people want to complain about ANY rehab.. Then they really don't want to stay sober.. They just need to get sober on THEIR OWN THEN.. Without the help of a rehab.. Because it doesn't matter where you go- your either going to go to any lengths regardless of whether you agree with program rules, or not.

CRT

This rehab has everything that you need to get sober, if you\'re serious. At first, the rules seemed strict, but quickly I realized that it helped. My therapist is awesome, I see her all the time and she has helped me so much. Groups are everyday and have taught me copping skills that I desperately needed. The house I live in is nice and clean, we work hard to keep it that way! Stephouse wants people to succeed after they leave, so there is a lot done here to help me get back into society. I want to get back into school, get a good job, and get a girlfriend! I know getting my life together will help all that!

I have been waiting to find a place that will legitimately post real reviews people right and not just keep the positive ones. Stephouse is a disgusting, filthy, and overpopulated so called treatment facility that is more concerned with quantity than quality. Not only are 4-5 bedroom houses fixed with 15+ beds...Their \"so-called\" Program Director is a joke. Her office is more like a principal’s office at a high school. She has a line out the door of clients she wants to see daily... She makes the call on medication management for clients that really should be decided by a Medical Director...She has her favorites that get away things. The owner is the epitome of an unethical and a total misrepresentation of what a treatment facility CEO should be. He is a total salesman when a potential client calls. If you have nothing, he will literally sell you on why you need to come to Stephouse...Does he tell you these homes are crowded like a homeless shelter? No.. does he tell you there is ongoing construction going on in these houses where drywall hasn’t even been put up? of course not. He posts pictures online of the front of his biggest house (that has 6 bedrooms and has 20-21 beds in it), and shows pictures of the house with a pool to sell you. It’s literally a joke. Stephouse should be shut down so that the current clients can be transitioned to better quality treatment facilities around.

L

Terrible treatment...The house you stay at for detox is filthy. Floors are sticky, kitchenware has food on it after its been washed. The staff does not care about you at all. You are just a paycheck them. Look elsewhere if you are truly serious about getting clean.

Ljsa

I personally believe that this \"rehab/detox\" facility regularly engages in unethical behaviors. My opinion is that they are in it for the money not the people. I\'m assuming that this will be not allowed on the comments screen because it\'s not a glowing review but at least you know how a Loved one of your program feels. I\'m ashamed that I didn\'t do more research before I suggested the program. women need to be in a place they feel safe in

DR

MV if you\'re reading this -- my experience was exactly the same. Unprofessional, \"therapists\", awful detox care and practice. Run horribly-- do Google the owner-- I have been sober for 3 years due to the grace of God and not this sham of a \"treatment center\". I have gone on to work at reputable, licensed treatment centers that in no way resemble Step House. I willl make sure that it becomes more and more well known what principles the owner has built his house of cards on.

alex

I\'m currently a resident at Stephouse and the staff\'s lack of care and no consequences have led to An attitude of indifference about the situation is ridiculous...and then act as if they have no responsibility and told me there confused on how to fix a simple problem they caused and this goes to the top of the program too and the house managers act like doing their job is too much to ask I\'m only posting this because I think its just lack of care that are causing these problems and they all refuse to take any responsibility when its there mess up thanks respectfully alex

PJE

I was able to get my daughter back. She fought it at first, but as she got sober, with the help of a lot of therapy, she came to love the place. She always had support from the new friends she made there

STC

Yes so many people whine and complain because they think rehabs are not very good and don\'t care enough about them when really it comes down to putting in the effort to do something about their problem. Stephouse Recovery is an absolute gold mine for a person who is looking to change their life and change the direction they\'re going in 180 degrees I was a person that ate out of garbage cans broken the biohazard boxes down dirty needles on the ground all kinds of stuff in my life and I haven\'t had to have a drink of alcohol or drugs for a pretty good amount of time. The magic happened when I owned my bull and stopped wishing on a wishbone and got a backbone........ Attention. Alert Alert Alert.......... Stephouse is not perfect...................... But I\'m living proof that 100 percent sobriety and success can come through this program.... I don\'t shoot up or snort lines for kicks. I don\'t sleep in the bushes and talk to myself. I was taught to live sober and take life one day at a time..........I was given choice to live or die.

MV

I was a client at Stephouse last year. I am not going to go off and sound like a bitter person because that is not my intention for leaving this review. My intention is to hopefully prevent people from making the same mistake I did by starting my treatment there. Unfortunately I did not do enough research when I started this process and wasted my time and money. First of all, there are many different treatment centers in the area and while it is definitely true that this industry is a business, Stephouse is the epitome of that. They are all about quantity over quality of care and their main objective is to get as many clients in the door as they can. First off, their \"detox center\" is nothing but a house whose only job performance consists of giving patients their meds and provide meals which are essentially cereal and frozen dinners. The next step is a transitional home named Los Tiempos which is basically the same setup as the \"detox center\" but with more clients and not enough rooms or beds. While I was there there were 11 clients but only 3 bedrooms and 2 client bathrooms. The \"intensive outpatient treatment\" groups consisted of 15 guys in one room for a 45 minute sessions that were conducted by interns, and a lot of times they had packed so many people in there that some had to sit on the floor and half the time they would just put on a movie or take us across the street to play basketball or to just hang out. Not exactly \"exceptional client care\". The sober living house they put me on had 8 beds spread out in a living room where everybody would walk through to get to other parts of the home and was also the tv viewing area. Not exactly \"semi private\" rooms, and I left Stephouse not long after and went to another treatment facility that actually emphasized client care. I completed the program and am now sober for a year now and very grateful I didn\'t stay at Stephouse. The owner is the first person you will talk to trick you. Do an Internet search of his name. Please don\'t make the same mistake I did and fall for their scam, there truly are other facilities out there who do this program the right way

jd