Stepworks Recovery Centers in Elizabethtown, KY

1207 Woodland Dr.
Elizabethtown KY 42702

Stepworks Recovery Centers Philosophy

We believe that each person who walks through our door for residential treatment has a unique story, personality, and set of spiritual beliefs. While our curriculum is consistent, our treatment plans are individualized to meet your specific needs. Stepworks has been in business for over 10 years, helping more than 6,000 clients achieve sobriety! Our long-term success rate is 78% – more than double the national average.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

Nature Walks

Activity Courses

Live-Streaming Church Services 360 Guide

Review by Contributors

In operation since 2007, Stepworks Recovery Centers offers rehabilitation services to clients in Kentucky. Located 50 miles south of Louisville, the center in Elizabethtown offers detox, residential care, and aftercare for individuals struggling with substance abuse. It is one of two facilities operated in Kentucky by Stepworks Recovery Centers.

Clients receive an initial assessment to determine which type of service would work best for them. Alcohol and opiate detox are available. A trained team monitors clients’ progress during detox. Rather than methadone, Stepworks detox utilizes small doses of Subutex. For clients entering the residential program, they may spend the first day or two in detox.

The residential program is 30 days long and incorporates the 12-Steps. Treatment is structured to allow clients to derive strength from one another, and to provide them with the necessary tools for lasting recovery through individual, group, and family therapy and psychoeducation about the nature of addiction and recovery. All clients are also encouraged to participate in daily exercise. Aftercare servicesare provided to clients, though details about the program are scarce.

The organization contracts with a medical professional, who is in contact with on-site staff at all times, and who attends weekly meetings at the facility. According to the facility’s website, group and individual therapy is carried out by trained therapists, though their precise credentials are not provided.

Clients live in shared rooms in a 32-bed facility, in line with the organization’s central philosophy that “recovery is better together.” Extracurricular activities include nature walks, activity courses, and basketball. Clients may not have cell phones, laptops, or tablets on-site. Laundry services are available.

The seven alumni polled by to date provided mixed reviews. Two of the seven alumni to provide feedback offered positive remarks for the staff; Anna claimed they were nonjudgmental and compassionate and Britney shared that she"loves" them and encouraged staff to "keep up the good work."

The majority, however, took issue with both particular staff members and staff in general. Two alumni each mentioned that staff were "unprofessional"; one anonymous alum claimed that "If you have problems with another person, the staff doesn't handle the problem appropriately I definitely wouldn't go back to this place," and another claimed that she was left unchecked by her doctor during her entire detox. Two additional alumni agreed that staff were more concerned with money than with the sobriety of the clients. Two alumni, M.R. and an alum who wished to remain anonymous, each described staff with the word "evil" in their written commentary.

While five alumni provided an average rating of four out of five stars for the meals and nutrition, alumni Josh and Carly each mentioned that they didn't like how little food was served, and didn't like that "patients responsibility to cook all the other patients too."

Accommodations and amenities received a rating of 3.5 stars based on ratings from four alumni, but written commentary suggested that those who were dissatisfied were extremely dissatisfied, citing small living quarters and overcrowding.

Isolated pieces of commentary mentioned the difficulty, but overall effectiveness, of Stepworks Recovery Centers' no cell-phone or laptop rule and limited contact with family during treatment.

At the time of this writing, Google — the only secondary review site to yield any feedback — featured six reviews with a rating of 2.7 out of five stars. [1] One-star reviewer J.T. echoed the anonymous reviewer by writing that most staff were compassionate and understanding, but that others “spoke down on you and didn't listen nor care about your treatment,” and complained of bullying and a lack of medical expertise. Three-star reviewer Sean praised the physical facility and his detox, but wrote that AA meetings were frequently run by clients, not people with sober time — a practice with which he vehemently disagreed. And five-star reviewer Josh wrote: “Stepworks provides a unique and helpful recovery learning experience.”

Two reviewers submitted commentary to to date. One was very positive, and the other was negative. One anonymous reviewer gave the center three out of five stars for its holistic options, and four or five stars for all 14 of the other evaluated treatment metrics, including its overall effectiveness, treatment for co-occurring disorders, and counseling options. “Caring staff, effective treatment,” they wrote. “They gave my friend her best chance at repairing her life and moving forward in a positive manner.”

The second reviewer wrote: "Stay 31 days and they won't let [her] graduate and don't let [her] call anyone to pick her up she just tuck [sic] off walking."

There is currently no information provided on the facility's website regarding its costs; however, the two individuals polled do date on the center’s affordability gave it two stars and one star respectively.

Published on February 2018

They were good.They seemed to actually care. They needed more personnel.

I got more help from the other clients there. The nurse staff weren't very professional. The food was barely enough. When I was leaving the discovered that they gave all my belongings away and told me I should have made sure that my name was spelled right on my stuff. If you have any medical problems don't go there. Do not go there. Hey do t care about sobriety they care about getting paid

This place is nothing but love it.i was on my death bed when I came through there doors. The staff did not judge me they showed nothing but compassion they saved me.

Let me help you here DON'T CHOOSE this rehad, I just left and here is the truth be ready to hear FROM EXPERIENCE. I was only in detox for one day and a half then they throw you out of detox for the next money head to come into detox all about the money not you. So 1 and a half days thew out of detox into a total different building were then you get locked out of your rooms from 8a to 8p it was nothing short of a nightmare. The night nurse is so rude short blond old spiky hair yeap she's a real evil lady.. there are two people there that care about you that's the day nurse in detox and the administration lady. PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU WANT SOBRIETY FOR YOURSELF OR LOVED ON PLEASE DONT CHOOSE THIS PLACE PLEASE

It was hard at first. I hated not having my cell phone and no contact with the out side world but I was thankful in the end and understood why it was important to be sperate from the "real world". I loved this place and they saved my life. I love the staff as well. Keep up the good work Step works. Xoxo

This is one of the worst treatment centers I have ever visited. I went there almost 4 years ago and (stayed sober since) have attended one and visited many since... My detox was terrible and a Doctor never checked on me. They just left me in bed. Where I shared a room and bathroom with ELEVEN other girls! The place was not clean at all and the staff really didn't care about it. I was so scared detoxing and everyone pretty much just told me to get over it. ...They were not supportive or comforting at all. Thank goodness I didn't drink, continued with AA and left to go to a real treatment center (Hazelden in center city Minnesota) and was able to stay sober. Terrible place I do not recommend at all. Hopefully this place will not be anyone's first experience of the 12 steps because they are likely to run from sobriety after this experience and not come back. Also it was the patients responsibility to cook all the other patients too...

I stay there 30 days and I don't like at all you never know if you stay there you can get kicked out even on last moment there's was a lady that. Stay 31 days and they won't let she graduate and don't let she call anyone to pick her up she just tuck off walking ,some staff members...are very evil...sun as you get sick or complaint they look for a reason to kick you out , at night and weekends people do what ever they want , the staff it's not professional at all .

Caring staff, effective treatment It was the best decision to attend the facility and address issues. They gave my friend her best chance at repairing her life and moving forward in a positive manner

It being a 30 day treatment program, the staff thoroughly covered steps one and two Hardly any ways to actually talk to family, except on visiting days The living space was very small It was very expensive to get in If you have problems with another person, the staff doesn't handle the problem appropriately I definitely wouldn't go back to this place

They not only helped me, they helped my family understand. They helped repair important relationships and really tried to help me build a support system before I left the safety of the facility.

Landmark Recovery of Louisville
  • Individual therapy twice per week with masters-level counselor
  • Neurofeedback Testing to cope with anxiety, sleep deprivation
  • Comprehensive discharge plan that is easy to follow and understand
Indiana Center for Recovery
  • Number one in the Midwest
  • High success rates
  • Locally owned and operated

Official Facility Response collects thousands of User Reviews weekly to collect the most up-to-date information possible on treatment facilities across the country. The opinions shared in User Reviews are expressly those of the user, and do not reflect the thoughts, beliefs, or opinions of Per our policies, we do not remove User Reviews at the request of a facility.

Please leave your Facility Response below using a verified facility-specific email address. A representative from will vet your response within two business days to ensure it meets our standards for public posting. retains the right to contact anyone who leaves a review via our website to confirm authenticity.