Stonington Institute in North Stonington, CT

Continuing Treatment Plans
Group Counseling
Individual Counseling

ABOUT STONINGTON INSTITUTE

Stonington Institute, based in the New England town of North Stonington, Conn., offers inpatient and outpatient treatment to adults and adolescent boys struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring mental health disorders.

Inpatient detox, partial hospitalization (PHP), and intensive outpatient treatment (IOP) are available to adult clients, and adolescent boys may enroll in the center’s residential program for males ages 12 through 18. The facility’s Starlight Program provides specialized treatment for veterans and active military personnel.

An initial assessment with a trained counselor is provided to all clients free of charge. Based on assessment findings, the most appropriate level of care is determined. Individuals requiring intensive care may begin their stay in the 18-bed detox unit. Detox is structured, medically monitored, and rooted in the 12-step recovery model.

Once stabilized, clients may transition to PHP or IOP treatment. PHP clients receive individual case management and spend most of their time in small group therapy, psychoeducation groups, spirituality discussions, and music or art therapy. Individual consultations with the on-site psychiatrist are scheduled on an as needed basis. IOP is a step down from PHP; treatment is similar, but IOP clients attend three evening sessions each week.

The Starlight Program provides residential treatment for male and female Veterans and active military personnel. Starlight uses 12-step principles and a mix of other treatment methods while addressing issues that are common among service members. Treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), loss and grief, and other military-specific issues is offered. Clients typically remain on-site for 28 days.

Programming for adolescent boys is conducted in a small group environment; the residential unit houses only 10 boys at a time. In addition to providing counseling and education for addiction and co-occurring disorders, the adolescent program focuses on teaching independent living skills and helping participants with educational goals.

According to the facility’s website, the center employs physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, licensed social workers, licensed alcohol and drug counselors, master’s level therapists, and other healthcare professionals.

According to the facility’s website, the co-ed detox unit offers both private and semi-private rooms. PHP and IOP clients have the option to stay in one of the facility’s 13 off-campus housing units. These sober group homes do not provide treatment, but clients may participate in daily AA/NA meetings and find a sponsor. No details regarding adolescent housing are available.

Starlight Program participants reside in a homelike, 30-bed facility located on 25 acres of farmland in rural Connecticut. The women’s program within Starlight includes weekly sessions of equine therapy.

At the time of this writing there have been five alumni polled by Rehabs.com. The alumni gave very mixed reviews of the facility. One anonymous alum gave the facility three out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, two stars for accommodations & amenities, and two stars for meals & nutrition; these ratings were similar amongst all the alumni except one, C.S., who gave four stars for accommodations & amenities and five stars for meals & nutrition.

One alum, D.J., added commentary about the facility writing, “Horrible off-site housing and food largely outweigh decent classes.” Another alum, C.S., spoke more highly of the program and wrote, “they program helps you if the person wants to recover for himself not because he has to for others. you have to want it.”

At the time of this writing there have been nine friends or family members polled by Rehabs.com. The loved ones gave generally neutral to negative reviews of the facility. The gave the facility an average rating of 2.6 out of five stars for treatment effectiveness (seven individuals responded), 2.7 stars for accommodations & amenities (six individuals responded), and 3 stars for meals & nutrition (six individuals responded).

The loved ones gave the highest average score of 3.14 out of five stars for the facility staff’s level of experience and training. They gave the lowest average score of 1.29 stars for the facility’s quality of holistic offerings. The group also gave an average of 2.9 stars for the facility’s cleanliness, 2.7 stars affordability, and 2.5 stars for the variety of counseling options to choose from depending on the client’s preference.

Several loved ones felt that a strength of the facility was the variety of facility locations and availability of beds. Several loved ones mentioned a weakness of the facility was that residents have smuggled drugs into the halfway house, rules were not enforced or followed at the residences, personal items were stolen, treatment was not effective, and there was little to no additional follow up after the program.

The cost of treatment at the facility is not published. Stonington Institute accepts most major insurance plans as well as TRICARE. Clients are encouraged to contact the facility directly for additional information regarding financing and insurance coverage.

Published on August 2017

Great location. didn't work...my brother went right back to drinking seemed like my brother was getting a lot out of the program. he seemed much better when he got out...but relapsed pretty quickly

I went to Stonington after many years of drug abuse. I lost EVERYTHING. I have read the reviews, and mostly all of them are about the housing. Just a reminder....this facility is NOT AN INPATIENT treatment. They provide the och houses as a service for clients who can not regularly get transportation to and from program everyday. Insurance does not pay for them. So, i attended, came to terms with where i ended up because of my drug use, and was grateful for being taken in. I had an amazing CLINICIAN (among many there) and they helped me find a place to live when i left, a way to pay for it, and started my network in the community so i could keep my recovery going. And based on all that, i stayed clean. If you are overly sensitive, or require a full hospitalization facility, i would suggest an inpatient. For me, i reached my rock bottom and took advantage of the help and treatment that they steadily offered. The person needs to want to change for themself

I was at this place just a week ago - Dec 27, 2015, and even after reading the comments and reviews I still gave it a shot (against my better judgment) and everything was 10x worse than what the online reviews said. Mice, Bedbugs, ...HORRIBLE LIVING CONDITIONS - Every worker, counselor and employee should be made to spend the night in one of those dorms before EVER recommending this program and then they would have a different story to tell. I left the program the next morning and have not looked back since. Stonington is a JOKE.

Strengths: Personable. Weaknesses: Cleanliness meals. It was ok. Poor follow up.

Counselors dosent mean rehab. Cliants need good diet and nice place for rest, after all day of education

i'm doing good today. working, clean and got my family back in my life. they program helps you if the person wants to recover for himself not because he has to for others. you have to want it.

Allergy attack, didn't receive decongestants, ended up with bronchitis for first time in life. Instructors were good, but off-site housing and diet were horrible.

It was close by. Relapse is almost guaranteed. This place is a joke. People go there to get out of jail sentences and to find other addicts.

Detox worked with hospital transfer. No good follow up. Unless military.

Stonington Institute was my first rehab in 2013. I completed the 28 day program. The food was in no way healthy. ... I completed the program and stayed clean for 30 days before I relapsed. I went back a year later and stayed for 2 days before I left ... After I left Stonington I went to a rehab in Las Vegas (which was 1,000 times the facility that Stonington is and was also hundreds of dollars cheaper). I've now been clean for 6 months and I'm going strong.

I was able to visit my loved one regularly. The institute helped achieve goals.

They have several locations, plenty of rooms and a lot of open beds. They need more experienced aids and counselors to attend to the clients' needs... My husband spent time at Stonington Institute for drug addiction and relapsed the day he got out.

If this is your only rehab option then make the best of it but I would not recommend Stonnington for anyone serious about recovery. It is local and covered by state insurance albiet a short time. The staff did not seem to have control over the other patients' behaviors and actions. There was a general feeling of addicts helping other addicts over professionalism and there are many stories.

Only go to Stonington Institute if you are desperate and unable to find/afford another treatment facility. The staff tries hard, but this is outweighed by the horrible housing and food. Stonington does not have a central housing facility (ie: hospital ward or dormitory) or housing in an on-site campus. Instead, Stonington has “off-campus housing” that is located anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes away from the building where “school” is held. Overcrowded vans shuttle clients to and from the treatment center, dropping people off up to two hours before “school” starts and often causing delays of more than two hours at the end of the day. Most of the housing is in decrepit, century-old buildings in New London. And I mean truly decrepit. The buildings have holes in the walls (which probably haven't been painted in 10 or 20 years), badly worn carpeting, horrible beds, threadbare linens and inadequate, old furniture. Stonington's housing was worse than any frat house or dorm I encountered. My building had roaches and mice, which I gather were present in most of the housing. Diet was beyond horrible – I only had vegetables once during the 11 days I was there before fleeing in a panic. No exercise facilities. Visits with friends and family are prohibited and phone access is very limited, verging on impossible. If possible, go elsewhere.

The houses aren't [upscale] but it's a roof over your head. And the program is where the help is. If your willing and wanting to help yourself. I was humbled and stayed clean for quite a while before a slight relapse in judgement. Like how I worded that? So do I. Clinicians,instructors, administration ,and director.... VERY POSITIVE and helpful! I hope someone sees this and also can relate or comment on this. Thanks!

Absolutely would not recommend! Poor watchfulness, way too much freedom!!!! Too loose, security was much too relaxed.

A respected friend of mine recommended this program. I got my loved one in and hoped for the best. I wasn't aware of the living conditions until I went to supply some personal care items. I cried all the way home. Leaving my loved one in such a deplorable place broke my heart. Still – I hope for the best. The best quickly spiraled into the worst. My loved one was able to make one call a day telling me about the chaos going on in the home. ... The halfway house was filthy and run down. There was no family contact, no feedback given. Terrible. Honestly, my dog boards at a cleaner, better place. ... No respect for anyone. Terrible place. They should have their license to treat revoked.

I attended the Juvenile Program at the age of 16. It was a 28 day program with off campus housing in Jewett City. Back then my stay was a good experience. That being said I returned 12 years later and things were very different. I was assigned to an off campus house in New London known as Huntington 2. The house was a total disaster, My bed was held up by four milkcrates. My first night we had dinner and there wasn't enough food or even utensils for us to eat. The house is totally run down and unacceptable. We had 28 guys in one house and a number of them were getting high and drinking.... my first night. I left the next day and went to (another facility). I definitely can't recommend Stonington unless you have nowhere else to go.

They have a well respected and effective 6 week program and my cousins healthcare has this facility in it approved in network listings. As a union officer I have referred many members with substance/alcohol abuse and gambling habits to this facility over the past 20+ years with a high success rate.

A 10% success rate means to me that it is a dangerous choice for those who've become desperate. My daughter died of a heroin overdose shortly after her stay there.

It was fine overall but just fine. Okay for basic needs, etc.

It's definitely not a place you go to be coddled, but that's not what i needed. we had to learn to work together, carry in the grocery delivery, make our own meals, clean up the house. It's not a fancy place. It's real. but maybe that makes it easier to carry it back over into real life on the other side when you get out. All I know is that place saved my life. I wouldn't change anything.

I was ready to become sober. My life was on a downward spiral. I almost died many times. If you are not ready for the harsh reality of becoming clean and sober and cannot get along with groups of people this is not the facility for you.

Photo of Clinical Services of Rhode Island, South Kingstown