Sunspire Health Astoria Pointe in Astoria, OR

Call (503) 305-9869 to Contact Sunspire Health Astoria Pointe

263 West Exchange St
Astoria OR 97103

Sunspire Health Astoria Pointe Philosophy

Sunspire Health Astoria Pointe is a licensed, residential treatment facility that provides a personal approach to care for men and women suffering with substance use and co-occurring mental health disorders. Our highly trained team of physicians, nurses, therapists and residential staff are addiction specialists who will get to know each patient in order to develop an individualized recovery plan. All treatment plans follow an evidence-based, comprehensive model of treatment that will heal the whole patient as well as the family systems to set men up for a successful life in recovery.

• Adventure-Based Therapy in the Pacific Northwest
    Given its located on in the Pacific northwest, right on the coast of the Columbia river and a stone’s throw from several nature reserves, Sunspire Health Astoria Pointe incorporates the pacifying, detoxifying qualities of nature through adventure-based therapy in the great outdoors like hiking to a local waterfall or doing groups on the beach in order to heal patients physically, mentally and spiritually.

• Healing the Family System
    At Sunspire Health Astoria Pointe staff understand that a major part of setting a patient up for a successful recovery is treating the family as well. If a patient completes treatment successfully but returns to a family system that is broken, it can undo all of the hard work that has been devoted to healing. The key at Astoria Pointe is to heal the family system to increase the patient’s chance of achieving long-term recovery.

Detox

Detox is often the first level of a treatment plan. This period of no drug use is important for the patient to reach a stable state of mind and body to begin addiction treatment. Our clinical staff will guide and support the patient throughout the entire process.

Residential Treatment

During residential treatment patients live onsite in housing with access to care from clinical staff 24/7. Patients have a full schedule of individual and group therapies according to their unique treatment plan, preparing them for life in recovery.

Outpatient Treatment with Community Housing

With an outpatient clinic located a short distance from the residential facility, Astoria Pointe offers patients the option to step down from the residential program and continue to receive care at the partial hospitalization and outpatient level with community housing. The outpatient program is designed to provide ongoing support and treatment for patients as they transition to life after residential treatment.

Michael A. Schwartz, MD, DABAM, DFASAM

Medical Director

r. Michael A. Schwartz is the Medical Director of Astoria Pointe. Certified by the American Board of Addiction Medicine and a practitioner of medicine for over 30 years, he brings extensive professional experience to his role in overseeing the quality of care for patients and managing the medical staff, ensuring all of the facility's treatment programs exceed clinical standards.

Dr. Schwartz graduated magna cum laude from Spring Hill College in Mobile, AL with a bachelors degree in biology and continued on to Louisiana State University's School of Medicine for his medical doctorate. He completed his residency at Ochsner Foundation Hospital in New Orleans and was chief resident during his last year there.

Dr. Schwartz is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Society of Addiction Medicine and is a member of the American Medical Association and Oregon Society of Addiction Medicine. He is licensed to practice medicine in both Oregon and Alabama.

Shellie Clelland

Director of Admissions

Shellie Clelland started her career in the field of chemical dependency eleven years ago. During her seven year tenure with Sunspire Health facilities Astoria Pointe, The Rosebriar, and Desert Palms, Shellie and her team have led the process of guiding new patients through the admission process and entry into treatment using her extensive knowledge of insurance coverage and utilization review.

ABOUT SUNSPIRE HEALTH ASTORIA POINTE

Sunspire Health operates a national network of addiction treatment centers. The Astoria Pointe facility in northwestern Oregon offers residential and outpatient treatment for adults struggling with chemical dependency, trauma-related concerns, and co-occurring disorders. The facility is also among the 24 non-hospital, residential facilities in the state to provide on-site detoxification services.

Clients who require medical detox receive it on-site before beginning residential treatment. To ensure the comfort and safety of the client, the facility provides 24/7 access to recovery support staff during the process.

The residential treatment program at Astoria Pointe features a wide range of evidence-based practices, plus 12-step integration. Through various approaches, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), trauma process groups, and motivational interviewing (MI), clients regularly participate in individual, group, and family therapy.

In addition to traditional approaches, programming also focuses on holistic well-being, and clients participate in guided meditation, yoga sessions, adventure-based therapy, and spiritual support groups.

Utilized as "step-down" continuum of care options from residential treatment, clients may attend the partial hospitalization program (PHP) or receive outpatient services supported by community housing. Clients receive aftercare planning and membership in Sunspire Health’s alumni network.

Accredited by The Joint Commission, the facility has a medical director who specializes in addiction medicine, nurses, addiction counselors, and therapists. Of the over two dozen individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date, those survey extensively praised the staff's level of experience and training.

Staff Experience and Training: 4.3/5

Astoria Pointe’s residence, a quaint mid-century property with views of the Astoria Bridge and Columbia River, accommodates 40 men and women in gender-separate, shared sleeping quarters. Clients have access to a local gym and go on outings to the beach and hikes to waterfalls. Overall, individuals polled on the matter appreciated the facility's cleanliness.

Facility Cleanliness and Upkeep: 4/5

Alumni submitted mixed feedback, skewed to the positive about Astoria Pointe to Rehabs.com to date: 16 were positive, three mixed, and five negative. Alumni repeatedly described the staff as caring, supportive, and knowledgeable. Several reported to Rehabs.com that the facility had improved or saved their lives.

The nine alumni polled on a cross-section of metrics provided more detailed impressions. Overall, alumni tended to highlight the level of family participation and its holistic offerings as strengths while reporting they'd recommend the facility.

Likelihood to Recommend: 4.3/5
Family Participation: 4/5
Holistic Offerings: 4/5

Several, however, noted the facility was understaffed, difficult to get individual attention, and lacked extracurricular components, such as recreational outings. Isolated criticism concerned problems with insurance and billing.

On secondary sites, Astoria Pointe received polarizing feedback to date. Twelve reviews on Google revealed an average rating of 4.2 out of five stars, and 33 reviews on Facebook, which the organization can manage, offered the facility an average rating of 4.5 out of five stars. [1] [2] Overall, positive reviewers tended to appreciate the home-like atmosphere, passionate staff, effective program, and quality of food.

However, on Yelp, 33 recommended and not recommended reviews all gave the facility low one out of five-star ratings. [3] [4] Negative reviews tended to cite an uncaring staff and lack of organization as facility concerns.

Feedback submitted to Rehabs.com to date by two loved ones was positive. Loved one R.L.C. gave perfect five-star ratings for the amount of staff support, the level of family involvement, and the staff's level of training and experience. Loved one C.M., concerning their nephew's experience, added: “He still tells stories about his time there and has fond memories of his counselor and the staff."

The sole staff member polled by Rehabs.com to date submitted a negative review about Astoria Pointe. The former employee gave the center just two out of five stars for its teaching staff’s credentials: “There are better treatment providers in this area. There was no leadership at this facility.”

Astoria Pointe is in-network with major insurance providers, such as Aetna, Anthem, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Cigna. The facility offers financing plans for fees not covered by insurance, and has a relationship with a financial lending company to help enhance the accessibility of treatment.

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/SunspireHealthAstoriaPointe/reviews/?ref=page_internal

[3] https://www.yelp.com/biz/sunspire-health-astoria-pointe-astoria

[4] https://www.yelp.com/notrecommendedreviews/sunspire-health-astoria-pointe-astoria?notrecommendedstart=0

Published on June 2018

Great location. Very decent food. Staff aids were compassionate and caring. - I thought the treatment was lacking in many ways. I wanted to know WHY I abused drugs and alcohol but they had no counseling on that. I could have dried-out closer to home and saved thousands of dollars but it is a beautiful part of the country. Great view of Columbia River

I had a great experience with my personal counselor. I was told that my expenses were paid for through my insurance, but they were not. Sunspire is a huge operation, and they kept calling me to check up on me when I asked them not to. I relapsed, and I asked them if I could return for a discount, and they were quick to tell me no, yet they kept calling me as if they had no idea of my relapse situation. I had a sense of a "call center" vibe, where they were just trying to meet their "call quota" for the day. Nobody was helpful. I was told that my expenses were paid for through my insurance, but they were not. Sunspire is a huge operation, and they kept calling me to check up on me when I asked them not to. I relapsed, and I asked them if I could return for a discount, and they were quick to tell me no, yet they kept calling me as if they had no idea of my relapse situation. I had a sense of a "call center" vibe, where they were just trying to meet their "call quota" for the day. Nobody was helpful.

total waste of time and money. paid $6500 up front they discharged a week early with no improvement and keep billing me for services not rendered

Counselors and staff are very nice. Easy to sign up for treatment. Great staff. Need more leisure activities. It is a good place to get sober! Great location, and they help you out!

I would not recommend this inpatient drug/alcohol IT DEFINITELY DID NOT LIVE UP TO ITS REPUTATION AS ONE OF THE "NATIONS BEST" THE DETOX/ASTORIA POINTE FOR MEN WAS CLEANER & MORE PROFESSIONAL

My nephew attended your residential inpatient program and I will always be greatful. Our family is starting to feel safe again like before his addiction began. He smiles and spends time with the family and has been makin true friends. He still tells stories about his time there and has fond memories of his counselor and the staff. Thank you so much for helping him find happiness again. We will always be greatful.

The staff is very caring and supportive. The setting and area are beautiful. I think that there could be more real life skills incorporated into the curriculum. It is 12 step based but it does include a diverse offering of other programs.

the staff are very welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable about, the different effects resulting from the use, of various drugs, and the mental damage that can come with it as well. and the meals! oh man the meals are awesome, definitely 4.5 or 5 star meals. the outings could be better, most of the time it was either the movies or the arcade, which is cool and all, but it would of been nice to have some variety. the counselors are great, you can tell that they really care and aren't just doing it for the money, and they have field experience, which in my opinion should be a requirement to get your CDACll because they know the ins and out of everything that comes with addiction, and not just talking about what they have read in their little books.

Astoria Pointe and its sister facility Rosebriar offer quality treatment for addicts and alcoholics. As a therapist, I look for quality always before sending any of my clients to a treatment facility. I will continue to refer to both!

A first-class facility staffed by caring and competent humans. Has really made a difference in my life.

Low relapse Trained professional staff

This treatment center is the best place I have ever been. The staff genuinely cares about the patients and they really know their stuff.

Awesome place to get sober!

This place is legit. Love the environment, people and heart behind it!

I went through treatment there and I had a horrible horrible experience with the on-site director the medical director. the on-site dr. only seen you once when you arrived and you couldn't hardly ever get in to see him again he was not friendly not personable gave you the cold shoulder I will make sure that I pass the word on never to go to that place not good they were short staffed

Offered a lot of group sessions every day!

The facility seems to be worth going to.

There are better treatment providers in this area. There was no leadership at this facility. All of the clinical staff had to work on insurance utilization reviews and could not focus on patient care. Patient care was not a priority.

Too far from home otherwise helpful place to recover.

Astoria Pointe will have a lasting effect on me for the rest of my life. The close bonds I made with other patients has remained intact, as well as keeping in touch with staff.

Great place!

They saved my life. I have not drank alcohol or used drugs since the day I checked in to Astoria Pointe.

Many things listed on website were not available when I was there...Counseling staff overworked and under staffed. Difficult to get any one on one time with any counselor. Very difficult to work with after treatment ended, i.e. billing info, fulfilling Insurance Co requests for info.

Overall Astoria Pointe was an awesome program. They were doing some renovations during my 45 day treatment program, so at times I felt that the quality was decreased. They were great people though. Strengths included the caring counselors, location, pricing, and the therapy.

Detox was gentle and very comfortable, so kudos to that. Once out of detox, I was extremely uncomfortable in their beds. Showers were cleaned daily but there was no bath access. There was zero internet action and 2 ten minute phone calls a day, which I was not fond of. Smoke breaks are regulated only during class. I felt that they did not give us enough breaks for fresh air since we are in bed for so many hours. I like to breathe fresh air and smoke if I cant sleep. You can watch movies only if you get signed permission. There is a WII there to play a few games to try to pass the time. One room is a cool room to chill, do some homework and listen to the radio, talk to your buddies and look at the fish tank. The length of stay was a constant issue; some guys are told 30-60-90 days. I personally was told 28 but they really push for 45. For me, when I am surrounded by other men who want to stop using drugs and drinking as well it helps me get to a better place.

The lockdown of 12 step was a beneficial aspect of the facility. However, the counseling effectiveness was a downfall. I was older and determined to quit so it worked.