Sunspire Health Heartland in Gilman, IL

1237 East 1600 North Road
Gilman IL 60938

Sunspire Health Heartland Philosophy

Sunspire Health Heartland is a private treatment facility for adult men and women suffering from substance use and co-occurring mental health disorders. Located south of Chicago, on 33 acres of beautiful lakefront property, the facility boasts an environment ideal for those seeking a break to receive treatment. Our full continuum of care offers patients who come to Sunspire Health Heartland the opportunity to gain the skills, tools and support needed to live a life in long-term recovery.

• Highly Qualified Staff
    Our team is comprised of expert clinical and medical staff, including Board Certified and master's-level licensed mental health professionals and certified addiction specialists who provide individualized therapeutic programs for each patient. Patients are treated by some of the leading experts in the addiction treatment field in the state of Illinois.

• Ideal Setting for Recovery
    Given the secluded, tranquil setting in the countryside of Illinois, Sunspire Health Heartland is the ideal environment to reconnect with oneself while escaping the chaos that addiction can cause in life. The environment will offer patients the opportunity to clear their minds and begin again with a clean slate.

Individualized Treatment Plans

At every Sunspire Health facility patients will receive treatment that is individualized to their unique needs and diverse lifestyles. Ongoing assessments allow the treatment to adapt and evolve as the patient progresses.

Residential Treatment

During residential treatment patients live onsite in housing with access to care from clinical staff 24/7. Patients have a full schedule of individual and group therapies according to their unique treatment plan, preparing them for life in recovery.

Aftercare and Ongoing Alumni Support

Throughout treatment, patients will work with a Discharge Planner and the clinical team to develop a comprehensive aftercare plan that will ensure a successful transition from residential treatment to a life in recovery. All patients who receive care at Sunspire Health will join our nationwide alumni network, giving them access to a support group after treatment.

Tom Delegatto, MA, CADC

Executive Director

Tom Delegatto serves as the Executive Director at Sunspire Health Heartland. He is a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor and has over twenty-five years of experience in the addiction treatment field. Before coming to Sunspire Health, Tom worked as the Corporate Director of Business Development for the Gateway Foundation, as the Chief Operating Officer for Hartgrove Hospital in Chicago, and as the Director of Business Development and Managed Care Contracting for Chicago Lakeshore Hospital, where he played a significant role in increasing admissions, successfully negotiating for increased rates and adding new hospital services. With his breadth of experience as a leading healthcare executive in Illinois, he oversees the daily operations, development, and programs of Sunspire Health Heartland.

Danesh Alam, MD

Medical Director

Dr. Alam is a licensed physician and surgeon in the State of Illinois. He completed his residency in psychiatry at the University of Illinois at Chicago and a fellowship in psychopharmacology at the same institution. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and is additionally certified by the American Board of Addiction Medicine. Dr. Alam is a Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association

ABOUT SUNSPIRE HEALTH HEARTLAND

Sunspire Health offers a network of addiction and behavioral health treatment facilities throughout the United States. Set on 32 acres of lakefront property about 90 miles south of Chicago in Gilman, Ill., Sunspire Health Heartland is a private rehab center for adult men and women struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring mental health disorders. This facility offers evidence-based, medication assisted treatment (MAT) through residential, and partial hospitalization (PHP). On-site detox services are offered.

Upon completion of a thorough evaluation, each client receives a personalized treatment plan. Heartland offers an intimate staff-to-client ratio, providing treatment that incorporates traditional, holistic, and evidence-based therapies.

Residential treatment consists of individual and group counseling that focuses on grief, anger management, and relapse prevention. While the facility offers unique treatment plans, all clients receive at least two psychotherapy sessions per week and participate in various educational sessions. The length of residential treatment is based on each client's needs.

A typical day may include psychoeducational groups, skill building, and medication information sessions. Clients may receive medication-assisted treatment as well as evidence-based therapies including cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, and motivational interviewing.

Heartland also offers fitness programming, massage therapy, meditation/mindfulness, and yoga. Family therapy sessions are available; loved ones unable to attend can still be present via conference calls or video-conferencing. If interested, clients also have access to religious and spiritual services and support.

Program graduates have access to various alumni services including continued care, education, and networking opportunities.

Led by board-certified physicians, Heartland’s interdisciplinary treatment team consists of licensed master’s level addiction specialists and mental health care professionals as well as family therapists.

The 32-acre campus is designed to be a relaxed, comfortable recovery. The facility offers a communal lounge where clients can enjoy the quiet and stillness of the surrounding country scenery. Bedrooms are shared and clients eat their meals in an open dining room with large windows facing the waterfront.

At the time of this writing there have been 16 alumni polled by Rehabs.com. Alumni reviews were mixed. Most clients reported having a positive experience overall while a few others criticized the facility for how the staff treated clients. Alum K.V. gave the facility four out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, four stars for accommodations & amenities, and four stars for meals & nutrition. K.V. added, “I had a overall positive experience throughout my stay here.” Conversely, alum J.S. was not happy with the staff at the facility. The alum gave the facility three stars for treatment effectiveness, one star for accommodations & amenities, and one star for meals & nutrition. J.S. added, “Bad management, not treated as if you are a human to the staff you are a number...The staff needs to get off the power trip.”

WHAT FRIENDS AND FAMILY SAY

At the time of this writing there have been two friends or family members polled by Rehabs.com. Both loved ones gave poor reviews of the facility. One anonymous loved one felt that staff and management were disrespectful, and that the amenities were lacking. The anonymous loved one gave the facility three out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, one star for accommodations & amenities, and one star for meals & nutrition. The loved one strongly disagreed that the facility was adequately equipped and staffed to treat co-occurring mental health problems in addition to substance use disorders; that the facility’s cell phone and visitation policy was fair; and that he or she would recommend this facility to a friend or loved one who was considering rehab.

The parent of a client, T, gave the facility one star for treatment effectiveness, four stars for accommodations & amenities, and four stars for meals & nutrition. T’s son relapsed two weeks after leaving treatment where he spent 30 days at the facility. At the time of this writing. T’s son is now back at Suspire. The loved one’s biggest criticism of the facility was it’s family counseling and visitation policies. “The family counseling sessions are some what deceiving. You have to set up a schedule that is not always available to you because of your work schedule...Visitation one on one with your loved one is not evidently allowed.”

At the time of this writing there has been one staff member polled by Rehabs.com. The employee gave the facility strong marks across almost all categories. The anonymous staffer gave the facility five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, five stars for accommodations & amenities, and five stars for meals & nutrition. The staffer agreed that the facility was adequately equipped and staffed to treat co-occurring mental health problems in addition to substance use disorders.; that there were many counseling options to choose from depending on the client’s preference; and that the facility strictly followed a 12-step model. The staffer felt that a strength of the facility was how the staff treats the patients. “Staff really care about the patients. It's not over crowded so that means your not just a number. The country setting is surreal.” The staffer felt that the facility could improve by hiring more staff. The employee added, “Heartland is a great place AA/NA meeting are the best The group setting is small so no one goes overlooked. Staff will go above and beyond to make you comfortable.”

Heartland accepts most health insurance plans, such as Aetna, Cigna, and Blue Cross Blue Shield. Financing options are available through medical loans, credit card payments, and American Healthcare Lending (for those eligible).

Published on June 2017

I just received my 1 year coin thanks to Sunspire Health Heartland. I’m disappointed to see poor reviews by previous patients who seem to have forgotten why they were there. We aren’t writing a review for a resort, it’s a residential treatment center full of people who have chosen to dedicate themselves to helping addicts recover. I had dietary needs that were happily met, complaints that were addressed thoroughly and satisfactorily. They environment is serene, the gym is fantastic, and the staff were supportive. A year ago I was at an i describable low. I truly didn’t see a way out and didn’t really care what happened to me. I called Sunspire and he came and picked me up himself! When I read another post bashing him for increasing admissions I had to chuckle...only an addict would think like that. Being one, I know. I’ve learned so much on perspective and how to view things for what they really are. Increasing admissions in a blessing, a gift to those of us suffering in the grip of addiction. He made it possible for more sick people to get help. He made it possible to save more lives and give hope and purpose to those of us who felt we had none. I will never regret my choice to go to Sunspire and I recommend it often, wholeheartedly.

Strengths:counselors Weakness:clients need to be allowed to make Mistakes. My primary goal was to start and obtain a new life of sobriety and I have began that.

Staff was great. Very helpful. Rooms are very nice

Treatment supplied for your individual needs. Great, large Staff that truly care. Few patients at a time, which makes for an intimate experience, and a good vive passed on. This place may have very well saved my life

Met lots of great people and the staff were more than accommodating.

This is such an awesome place. The staff is incredible, and there is a sense of community like no other place I've been to. The food is fire!!

Sunspire Health is an amazing place to come to and get the help that is needed. All the staff is outgoing and helpful. I have met many wonderful people here. I got the best care and treatment I could ever ask for.

Great support people... certain individuals in Medical and in nursing, were especially helpful

I had a overall positive experience throughout my stay here.

Staff is supportive, kind, hardworking. My experience overall is very positive. If this treatment not successful I'll be back.

This place is AWESOME!

It was like having a second family here. I would recommend this treatment facility to anyone.

Best treatment experience I've had in my life. It's been really eye opening for me.

Staff really care about the patients. It's not over crowded so that means your not just a number. The country setting is surreal. more staff Heartland is a great place AA/NA meeting are the best The group setting is small so no one goes overlooked. Staff will go above and beyond to make you comfortable.

Because of the compassion and support of the Sunspire staff I was able to celebrate my 18 years wedding anniversary, with my husband. Although I was hundreds of miles away during his treatment the staff made me feel like I was right by his side. They kept me updated with progress and were ALWAYS responsive!! Recovery is a reality and Sunspire helped my husband see it!!

I am grateful for the recovery and relationships I was able to build during my stay. The heartland location is rather new and if I would have known that before hand, I would have chosen elsewhere until the kinks are worked out. I was specifically seeking a program that would offer medically supervised detox, Addiction Counseling, and AA access. I was told that this facility did provide all of those functions. Upon admissions, I was also under the impression that this was fully covered by my insurance. That is another battle that I'm fighting on my own and not entirely Sunspire's issue, however there's absolutely no financial counseling during admissions or any discussion of finances upon discharge. Talk about a relapse trigger when you get a huge bill 5 months later! Anyway, that part is being handled separately. My main issues with the actual program are the lack of any AA materials/understanding, flimsy individual/counseling, and no weekend meals... Unless you consider the McDonald's and other fast-food that were brought in and that we are being charged for...All in all, their heart is in the right place, but much to be desired as far as actual content of recovery program. The most help that I received or garnered any information from was our group sessions and that information received from other patients. The one on one counseling was basically workbook based question and answers and the family counseling was an absolute joke. Basically just me talking to my wife for 5 minutes telling her about my day. The counselor was absolutely I'm prepared to have any type of structured counseling session, even though it was requested by both myself as well as my spouse prior to our weekly sessions. Four of the people I went in with have already had significant relapses enough to go to another facility.

...The staff tells the family whatever they think they want to hear to keep them payin g for their loved ones treatment. This place is a huge ripoff!@

The family counseling sessions are some what deceiving. You have to set up a schedule that is not always available to you because of your work schedule. Most people who are working can not take off work during the week to go on a 4 hour drive for a 45 minute counseling meeting. Visitation one on one with your loved one is not evidently allowed. My son relapsed two weeks after returning home. He spent 30 days there.... He is now back at sunspire. I hope this time they send him home drug free and alcohol free.

During my 30 day treatment, i had ready access to my individual therapist, and was welcomed by the additional therapists on staff.All three therapists on staff during my stay contributed to my treatment, and would like to personally thank each and every one of them. The nursing staff did an outstanding job with both compassion and professionalism. When challenged by other patients, they responded both courteously and professionally while sticking to policy. Let's face it, recovering addicts are not always the easiest people to deal with. Meals and accommodations were beyond my expectations, providing a clean, safe and enjoyable experience. The grounds are situated on a large, country living setting with a large on-sight lake with walking/jogging path readily available to residents who have reached a certain level in their treatment. The only drawbacks I would have to point out are the availability of medical doctors, although one life-threatening situation involving a patient was handled quickly, privately and compassionately by patient care technicians and nursing staff. Second, if the call center offers a pool and spa availability, check with representatives at the site if this is a necessity to you. The call center stated these were options, but both the pool and spa were under repair during the duration of my stay. Finally, there were three therapists on staff during my treatment, with one completing her final day with Sunspire on my last day of treatment, leaving only two. There were never more than 16 patients during my stay, however, and I never felt the clinical department was ever understaffed, and the facility itself was in the process of interviewing and hiring new therapists. I did run into an insurance issue a few days after checking in, due to my own misunderstanding of my coverage. The administrative staff, particularly two women, were instrumental in working with me to find the best resolution to my problem. Finally, I would like to thank the patient care technician staff, for everything that they do. Some may see them as "baby-setters", making sure that residents follow rules and procedures, but they are much more than that. For me, they were always available and willing to help me with anything I was struggling with during treatment. Much thanks and respect, Particularly to 4 staff members. If I could recommend one change, it would be that they employed more staff that were in active recovery, included more multi-media resources directly related to recovery, and would open up 12 step meetings to outside trusted members of the AA/NA community. All in all, I hope I never have to go back, but should I ever require rehab therapy again, Sunspire Heartland would be my first choice.

I went to Heartland a few months ago. And I am so grateful for the experience I had there. It was the first place I'd been to that treated me like a person. I was able to see a therapist a few times a week and the fact that there were only 20 other patients there made my stay very comfortable. I learned a lot about myself and finally developed some structure and routine in my life. There was always plenty to do and I just loved my stay there overall. I would definitely recommend this heartland to anyone who is struggling.

Bad management, not treated as if you are a human to the staff you are a number. Could only call home once a week at best. I paid $5000 to come here. I should have at lease been aloud hot meals that had some flavor. The staff needs to get off the power trip.