Sunspire Health Hyde Park in Tampa, FL

215 W Verne Street Suite B
Tampa FL 33066

Sunspire Health Hyde Park Philosophy

Sunspire Health Hyde Park is a private, residential treatment facility specifically designed to meet the needs of women with substance abuse, co-occurring mental health disorders, body image and food issues, and trauma. Our goal is to provide a homelike setting where women can overcome their addictions and gain a new sense of control over their lives. Our evidence-based medical and behavioral treatment programs teach women to free themselves from the thoughts, actions and self-sabotaging behaviors that bring them to Hyde Park. We teach critical self-care skills to encourage women's independence and continued success once they embark upon their new life in recovery. Hyde Park is focused on encouraging female empowerment and support to build lasting systems of support through the bonds that happen during treatment.

• Body Image and Disordered Eating
    The vast majority of women who come to Hyde Park are dealing with body image issues and a good portion are also struggling with disordered eating in addition to substance use. Using evidence-based therapies and focusing on nutritional guidance and self-esteem, the clinical team at Hyde Park will address these underlying issues that may contribute to the patient's substance use disorder.

• Focus on Healing the Family
    Sunspire Health Hyde Park has a well-established family program that includes ongoing family therapy sessions with an assigned Family Therapist for each patient, as well as an intensive family weekend that works to heal the family. Patients and families who go through the family weekend at Hyde Park have greatly benefited from the communication and breakthroughs that happen during the four days, allowing them to form lifelong bonds and repair shattered relationships.

Individualized Treatment Plans

At every Sunspire Health facility patients will receive treatment that is individualized to their unique needs and diverse lifestyles. Ongoing assessments allow the treatment to adapt and evolve as the patient progresses.

Residential Treatment

During residential treatment patients live onsite in housing with access to care from clinical staff 24/7. Patients have a full schedule of individual and group therapies according to their unique treatment plan, preparing them for life in recovery.

Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)

To transition from residential treatment to life in recovery, patients go through a progression of care until reaching IOP. Patients will receive ongoing care at the Palm Desert IOP while living in sober housing to adjust to every day life after treatment.

Lisa Richardson, MS, CAP

Executive Director

Lisa brings 15 years of management experience within the helping profession.  Her diverse experience includes developing new businesses, facilitating creative marketing initiatives, and teaching on a collegiate level. She has a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice and Business Administration from Evangel University in Springfield, MO. Her Master’s Degree is from Missouri State University, and she is a Certified Addiction Professional. Lisa is a MINTY (Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers), and strives to develop environments that enhance motivation for both clients and staff. She received the 40 Under Forty Award from the Hartford Business Journal while living in CT and working as a Clinical Director for a hospital network.

Lisa is passionate about helping the women of Hyde Park to recover and heal in the pursuit of daring, healthy and powerful lives. She strives to empower capable and inspiring staff members who create positive and meaningful change in individuals and communities.

Racine Alequin, MS, RMHCI

Primary Therapist

Racine Alequin is a Primary Therapist at Sunspire Health Hyde Park. Racine meets patients where they are at and develops a collaborative therapeutic relationship with each individual in her care. Before coming to Sunspire Health, Racine has spent time as a therapist in both inpatient and outpatient settings and has experience working with people with substance use disorders, mental health disorders, trauma victims, the LGBTQ community, and those dealing with legal cases. Racine has a Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from St. John's University and is a registered mental health counselor intern. Racine has a certificate of higher education in forensic criminology and is currently earning her forensic certification while also training to become a Certified Addition Professional.

ABOUT SUNSPIRE HEALTH HYDE PARK

Sunspire Health is a network of addiction treatment facilities with centers in California, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, Oregon, South Carolina, and Texas. The Hyde Park facility is located on a quiet, palm-tree-lined street a block from Hillsborough Bay in Tampa, midway down Florida’s Gulf Coast. The center offers detox plus residential and outpatient treatment for women who are struggling with substance abuse, process disorders, and trauma. The facility offers dual diagnosis treatment.

Sunspire Health facilities view addiction as a chronic disease, and use evidence-based methods supplemented by holistic therapies to help clients achieve abstinence from drugs and alcohol. Specifically, Hyde Park often uses cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). Individual, group, and family therapy are used alongside 12-step groups, anger management, relapse prevention counseling, and nutritional guidance.

Holistic options include meditation and mindfulness, yoga, recreation therapy, physical exercise, and community activities.

In addition to a residential program, the center offers a partial hospitalization program (PHP) and an intensive outpatient program (IOP). The partial hospitalization program (PHP) involves attendance five to seven days per week, for six to eight hours per day, while the intensive outpatient program (IOP) meets three to five times per week for three to four hours per day.

The team includes mental health counselors, certified addiction professionals, and a licensed care social worker. The two individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date rated the staff’s level of training and experience three and five out of five stars.

Hyde Park accommodates up to 20 women at a time. Pictures published on the facility’s website show an attractive Victorian home with comfy common areas. The six individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date gave the center an average rating of 3.67 stars for its accommodations, and all three of the individuals polled on the center’s cleanliness gave it four or five stars.

Of the three alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, two were positive and one was mixed. One alum rated Hyde Park four and five out of five stars in fifteen different metrics, rating it five stars in counseling options, family participation, and treatment of co-occurring disorders.

All three reviewers spoke very highly of the center’s counselors and therapists. Alum K.A.P. wrote: "Supportive staff and lots of information. The therapists are all excellent," and M.S. added: “They are wonderful and truly invested in their clients and the nutritionist is very knowledgeable and goes the extra mile for eating disorder clients”. However, M.S. in contrast wrote: “This company hires techs without the appropriate credentials to deal with this population.”

On Google, one reviewer left a perfect five-star review of Hyde Park,[1] and on Facebook one reviewer rated it four out of five stars.[2] Google reviewer Cynthia, despite leaving treatment early due to illness, wrote: "My family therapist and my regular therapist were wonderful. The groups, well if you go there you'd better be prepared to work, as they are a challenge. I would recommend this facility to everyone."

Of the three reviews by loved ones submitted to Rehabs.com to date, one was mostly positive, one mixed, and one negative. The single loved one polled on Hyde Park's offerings in a variety of treatment metrics was the mixed reviewer, who rated the center four out of five stars for its overall effectiveness, family program, and counseling options but two stars for its holistic offerings and treatment for co-occurring disorders. Despite the positive ratings, they did criticize activities planned for clients, writing: “they allow clients to go to the store to make purchases I have never heard of a facility that allows clients to go out shopping. I feel this is counter intuitive.”

In other reviews, loved one J.K.W. wrote: “Treatment is only effective if the person receiving it is willing and grateful for the chance to start their recovery. NA and AA is part of our lives,” indicating that treatment was successful for their loved one. But loved one F.S. wrote: “DO NOT SEND YOUR DAUGHTER HERE! They do not care for their patients as their website states, if your daughter has a dual diagnosis - they will ship her to a local hospital- and then state they can't treat her and lie about contacting the hospital!!”

On Indeed, fifteen current and former employees rated Sunspire Health as a whole an average 3.6 out of five stars. In general, employees criticized the stressful environment but felt the work was still rewarding at Sunspire Health. A former behavioral health technician wrote: " Working in the service industry lacks substance for me now. Being able to help clients when they are at such a crucial chapter in their life is rewarding in itself. Unfortunately sometimes you are asked to compromise your values."

Hyde Park accepts insurance and is in-network with Aetna, Cigna, Multiplan, Anthem, PHCS, and Value Options. Financial assistance is also available, in the form of a loan through American Healthcare Lending.

[1] https://goo.gl/cyCQpZ
[2] https://www.facebook.com/SunspireHealthHydePark/
[3] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Sunspire-Health/reviews

Published on October 2017

I would not send my worst enemy to Hyde Park. The techs are great but paid minimum wage to single handily monitor the whole center. The apartments are disgustingly filthy, mice poop, dirty kitchens and bathrooms. Patients are given $7 per day for food and have to cook for themselves after a weekly trip to Aldi. Patients are checked on hourly with a flashlight put to their faces (this is torture at its finest) patients get the privilege of meeting with a therapist one on one for less than 1 hour per week. This facility is falsely claiming on the internet to be a woman’s only and very “warm and fuzzy,” they could care less, it’s all about the almighty dollar. If you have good insurance they imprision you, if not they kick you out! Stay far away from Tampa Hyde Park-it’s dirty, disgusting and the worst possible place you could go to heal and recover!

I Finally Get It! When I made the decision to seek help again. I honestly didn't believe there was any for me. In that moment of desperation, all I knew was I needed to get somewhere safe. My addiction had me believing I wanted to die. Any addict reading this will understand that feeling. I had pretty much given up trying to find an open bed in a detox center. When I entered treatment at Sunspire Health Hyde Park on October, 2017 it was to save my life. However, being my third treatment center. I just expected more of the same. Do this, don't do that, chant the serenity prayer, do a 12 step program, and be on your way. What I got was more than this addict could have ever dreamt for; a new perspective on life. After a brief adjustment period of me wanting to control and run every aspect of Sunspire and my treatment program. Yes, me the addict who weeks before was on the edge of death knew what was best for me. Thank God for the amazing operational and clinical staff who maneuvered me through and convinced me to stay on the numerous occasions I wanted to leave because it was too much. I opened up and allowed myself to receive the treatment/services Sunspire offered. The individualized one on one therapy was eye opening and has honestly changed my life. After thirty years of using drugs to cope. I've finally come to realize that my issue isn't with drugs and alcohol; the issue is ME. My therapist individualized a treatment plan to my specific needs and with my input. This allowed me to dig deep into those things that plagued me from childhood into adulthood. The cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, psychodrama, relapse prevention, codependence, spirituality, relationships and family dynamics groups provided the knowledge, skills and tools I need to piece my life back together. Along with that they put great emphasis on NA/AA sponsorship and building a network of people outside of treatment. The outside meetings were a reintroduction to life and people clean. Reaching out and asking for help was something I just didn't do before Sunspire. I have a lot of work still to do. I am open and accepting to do that work. I have never felt so confident and as prepared to "live life on life's terms" as I do today after spending 90 days at Sunspire Health Hyde Park. For the first time in my life, I am looking forward to the future and a life in long term recovery. I finally got it and it's so simple, I never have to use again.

I’m working on making amends as I left the facility AMA. I knew I needed help but I wanted drugs more. I’m in counseling again and I’m starting to realize that I put up a lot of walls all the time to keep myself safe. When I was at Sunspire it was the first time I really felt like people cared about me. Sure there’s insurance and paperwork but people there put up with my crap, and didn’t get mad at me when I was acting a fool. I met with staff before I left and I didn’t want to hear nothin they said to me. I knew they cared though and I really felt they cared it’s like I could see it in their eyes that they were worried about me, but I didn’t care then. I’m learning how I pushed the staff there away and want people to know you will get great help there but you have to accept it. Thanks for allowing me to make amends.

The counseling I received at Sunspire is amazing! I would not be where I am today if it wasn't for them. I'm happy and sober. They taught me the tools I need to succeed. I want to say a special thank you to my individual counselor. She's one in a million!!!! She is an asset to Sunspire Health. I'd also like to thank five staff members they are awesome also along with the rest of the staff! I'd stay in a dump to have the counseling I received. Sunspire made a major difference in my life. And I am forever grateful!!!! Sunspire Health in Tampa is an amazing place to start your recovery. The counseling is amazing. I'm 119 days sober today! And I'm happy

DO NOT SEND YOUR DAUGHTER HERE! They do not care for their patients as their website states, if your daughter has a dual diagnosis - they will ship her to a local hospital- and then state they can't treat her and lie about contacting the hospital!! We are back where we started when we first brought her to Hyde Park!

Treatment is only effective if the person receiving it is willing and grateful for the chance to start their recovery. NA and AA is part of our lives. We socialize within those circles.

Excellent program. Supportive staff and lots of information. The therapists are all excellent. I wish I could have taken them home!! You get excellent medical care, individual therapy, group therapy, nutritional support and physical exercise. Such a well rounded program that you go home with a wonderful new outlook and a very detailed recovery plan for your future.

This company hires techs without the appropriate credentials to deal with this population. Additionally, clients are treated like numbers rather than people at times (from the insurance side of things - some clients are promised they will stay longer then abruptly kicked out when their insurance runs out, for example). Therapists there are the only glue holding it together. They are wonderful and truly invested in their clients and the nutritionist is very knowledgeable and goes the extra mile for eating disorder clients.

counselling is strong, they allow clients to go to the store to make purchases I have never heard of a facility that allows clients to go out shopping. I feel this is counter intuitive.