The Canyon Treatment Center in Malibu, CA

Equine Therapy
On-Site Fitness Facility
Adventure Therapy

ABOUT THE CANYON TREATMENT CENTER

Set in the serenity and privacy of 120 wooded acres known as Peace Park, minutes from the Pacific with views of the Santa Monica Mountains, The Canyon Treatment Center in Mailbu provides a continuum of care, beginning with medically supervised detox, for substance use and co-occurring mental health disorders. Just 15 percent (197) of California’s 1,311 total treatment facilities provide residential, non-hospital detoxification services.

The Southern California luxury rehab center is one of five operated by Foundations Recovery Network, all of which emphasize holistic therapy, including Black Bear Lodge, an adventure therapy program in Georgia; Talbott Recovery, offering young adult and professionals tracks in Atlanta; The Oaks at Paloma in Memphis; and Michael’s House in Palm Springs.

Residential treatment plans at The Canyon at Peace Park are tailored to meet each client’s needs and goals, according to the facility’s website. The 12-Steps serve as a common foundation, and most plans include multiple daily group sessions and at least two hours of individual counseling each week.

Among the treatment modalities practiced are motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), trauma-oriented eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), the Seeking Safety model, and art therapy.

Residents also participate in mindfulness practices, equine therapy, yoga, massage, and spirituality groups. The Peace Park campus features a meditation dome, prayer labyrinth, and therapeutic sweat lodge, along with a ropes course used for adventure therapy.

The Canyon’s family program offers education and coping skills development once a month. Clients can continue treatment through the facility’s outpatient program, offered at a separate setting in Santa Monica.

The Canyon’s treatment team is led by a licensed clinical social worker with a doctorate in human development. The primary therapist-to-client ratio is 1:4, according to the facility’s website, and staff members include consulting internists and doctorate- and master’s-level therapists.

Clients at The Canyon Treatment Center can expect personalized, comfortable care in spacious, airy, semi-private rooms. The facility’s capacity of 16 residents falls well below the national average of 33. Both gender-separate residences have a luxurious swimming pool. Additional amenities include a full fitness center, access to a physical trainer, and organic, gourmet meals prepared by a Cordon Bleu-trained chef.

The Malibu facility’s alumni association is active, and a dedicated support staff member coordinates follow-up, opportunities to share stories, and social gatherings.

At the time of this writing, reviews for The Canyon Treatment Center at Peace Park were strongly favorable, at a ratio of more than two-to-one over critical feedback. Of seven alumni polled to date by Rehabs.com, three noted the facility’s expense, but two of these indicated clearly that it was worth the cost.

Reviewers tended to highlight the program’s effectiveness, accommodations and location, and staff as strengths. The one alum polled on the matters gave perfect five-star ratings for the staff's experience, holistic offerings, and discharge planning. However, one former client reported receiving inadequate counseling for a dual diagnosis**; two Yelp reviews echoed this experience.

While the nine alumni reviews on Yelp reflected more polarized perspectives, feedback tended to focus on similar factors. Positive alumni praised the clinical staff and treatment as professional and individualized, along with the “beautiful, serene, and peaceful” location, as one representative review wrote. Criticism mostly centered on cost.[1] "I stayed at The Canyon for 45 days about a year ago. I am proud to say that I am writing this review sober," alum Mike wrote.

On the facility’s official Facebook page, which its staff may monitor, The Canyon had an average rating of 4.5 out of five stars, based on the opinion of 33 people. While one concurred with a Yelp reviewer that their experience was not what had been advertised, comments tended to characterize the program as life-saving. Opportunities for alumni involvement were also highlighted.[2]

The two loved ones polled by Rehabs.com would recommend The Canyon at Peace Park. They each gave five out of five stars for family participation (which the one alum polled on this metric also granted). Reviewers cited the support their loved ones received for developing healthy lifestyles as a facility strength.

The Canyon Treatment Center accepts major insurance company plans. The two individuals polled by Rehabs.com on treatment affordability gave two and three stars apiece, in otherwise positive reviews.

CONCLUSION

According to the facility’s Facebook page at the time of this writing, The Canyon Treatment Center’s property at Peace Park was affected, without extreme damage, by the November 2018 wildfire in Malibu. Clients and staff were safely evacuated and receiving care at alternative spaces. The rehab center was expected to return to its main site.

[1] https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-canyon-malibu-4](https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-canyon-malibu-4](https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-canyon-malibu-4))
[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/thecanyon/reviews/

Published on December 2018

Chance

Great place for recovery.. Highly recommend canyons if you\'re trying to get sober and stay sober

Meu

Very supportive of patient and family. Gave tools to work on healthy life styles with an emphasis on continued aftercare

Me

To answer the question below, YES, I attended the Canyons for 4 hours. In previous phone conversations, I said that I could NOT afford $60,000 for 30 days...IT WAS CLEAR THAT THEY WANTED MY MONEY. I asked about a SINGLE ROOM at that price I was OMISED A SINGLE ROOM. IT NEVER HAPPENED. They said that they could put a screen between the two beds - RIDICULOUS. They called in two people to convince me to stay. One said that he could lower the $40,000. I was told they had a pool where one can swim laps. TOTALLY NOT TRUE. I was told that they have a great chef. TRUE. BUT ONE WOULD HAVE TO MAKE ALL HIS/HER BREAKFASTS AND LUNCHES. Then they called my wife on her cell to convince me to stay. NO WAY. She drove 2 hours back to pick me up - and we went home - thank God. I had given them $350 as a downpayment. I was told that I would an email confirmation within 72 hours, I called again - SAME PROMISE. I called again and was told that it would come from someone else. PLEASE ... PLEASE /// DO NOT GET RIPPED OFF !!!

WMR

I stayed at The Canyon for 45 days about a year ago. I am proud to say that I am writing this review sober. The Canyon will always be a part of who I am today. The staff there from the RCs to the physicians are among the best and most caring that I have encountered. Yes, it is very expensive. So is an addiction. Mine was alcohol and it was trying to kill me. Very nice and comfortable accommodations. Wonderful food and great people. My therapist saved my life. Thanks! Love you WMR

extensive one on one counseling; informative family weekend/visits; high quality/healthy meals were all strengths, but price is incredibly high. high quality facility; would recommend to others

approach to help with issues one on one and group settings.very.high cost. caters 5 movie stars and rock stars. if you have the funds, one of the best.

CM

This was the best experience of my life. The team of doctors, psychologists, nurses, and counselors I worked with healed me and taught me the skills I had always needed.

Michael

My experience at the Canyon was the worst possible experience I could have possibly had. They mixed up drug tests of mine with another patient pressured me to stay another month. One of the two reasons I went to the Canyon was for treatment of anxiety. There was no treatment offered whatsoever. They claim to be \"duel-diagnosis\" which is a total misrepresentation. They even use interns as councilors and are not up front about it. I was supposed to receive eight concealing sessions and I received none. Not one. From spending my first session with me filling out paper work, and other sessions urging me to stay another month. I could not possibly recommend you or a loved one stay away from this horrible place full of con artists.

KCB

I went to visit the Canyon in March. It is a beautiful location! I can't say enough about the facility and the staff. Top notch in every category!