The Clearing in Friday Harbor, WA

2687 West Valley Road
Friday Harbor WA 98250

The Clearing Philosophy

The Clearing is a non-12 step, dual diagnosis residential treatment center specializing in substance abuse along with issues associated with depression, self esteem, trauma and loss. Recovery takes on a whole new meaning here. We don’t subscribe to the traditional recovery dogma of powerlessness and dependence. Instead, you’ll depart our program with authentic empowerment, clarity, and mastery of the tools and strategies to achieve the life you want. We are an evidence based psychological healing approach. We focus on healing the underlying core issues that cause addiction and other limiting behaviors. With core issues healed, you‘ll eliminate anxiety, depression, hopelessness, low self-esteem, and the the need for substances to cope. You’ll be amazed with how simple, powerful, intellectually engaging and transformative this work is for you.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Tai Chi

Self-Counseling Techniques

Non-12 Step Approach

Joe Koelzer

Co-Founder, CEO

Joe Koelzer has spent his career in business consulting having worked with over 200 emerging growth businesses in the past twenty years. In the creation of this extraordinary program, Joe realizes his long-held dream of teaching the Principals of Spiritual Psychology to others. In founding The Clearing, Joe holds no principle more highly than bringing this program forward for the Highest Good of All Concerned. Every aspect of this business is founded and implemented with this desire foremost in his consciousness.

Betsy Koelzer

Co-Founder, VP of Operations

Betsy Koelzer brings to The Clearing the only practical, real-life experience as an addict and alcoholic. In fact, everything her co-founder and husband Joe knows about dealing with a dysfunctional personality, he learned from her. Irreverent yet spiritual, Betsy blends this into a unique pattern of counseling that is gentle, authentic, refreshing and healing usually works if there is plenty of coffee. Having actually been to treatment twice, and loathing both internments with an undiminished intensity, Betsy is uncommonly motivated to bring this program forward to fellow survivors.

ABOUT THE CLEARING

Located in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island in the Puget Sound of Washington State, The Clearing is a dual diagnosis residential rehab center for adult men and women. The facility, which only admits 10 clients at a time, offers treatment for substance abuse, eating disorders, and co-occurring mental health issues.

Treatment plans last a continuous 28 days, with all group members starting and finishing the program at the same time. Detox services are not available on-site, but The Clearing will refer clients to one of the nearby medical detox facilities if needed.

The Clearing prides itself on its unique and highly personalized residential program. The facility accepts clients in one cohesive group rather than having clients start and finish the program at varying times. Participants go through treatment at the same pace in an effort to avoid disruption and disconnection within the inpatient community.

The facility’s treatment methods are not based on the 12-Steps. Instead, the facility offers a Spiritual Psychology program, which teaches 21 principles of healing and recovery created by two professors from the University of Santa Monica. This is combined with evidence-based practices and rational emotive therapy. Clients receive individual counseling and group therapy while they also participate regularly in psychological workshop sessions.

The staff leading the facility include a Ph.D. level clinical director with over 20 years of experience in the mental health field, a VP of operations with first-hand experience as an addict, a CEO with academic credentials in both business development and spiritual psychology, a director of complementary therapies, and various administrative personnel.

The Clearing is situated on a 64-acre working farm and housed in a former bed and breakfast. Residents live in cozy private bedrooms with desk areas and attached bathrooms. There are opportunities for physical fitness and other activities offered, including walking the many trails that surround the facility. Meals are prepared by a chef and include locally sourced ingredients whenever possible.

All 11 of the alumni polled by Rehabs.com at time of writing gave The Clearing glowing reviews. Alum Chip gave the facility five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, accommodations & amenities, and meals & nutrition and wrote that the treatment program at the Clearing was a life-saving experience for him, a claim many of the other reviewers echoed. “Having tried everything for years and at the end of my rope with thoughts of suicide i, with the help of my family embarked on a national search for a different type of depression relief program...The Clearing will change your life -- and your family’s,” Chip wrote. Caroline, another alum, remarked, "If you're looking for a rehab that delivers on their promises, call The Clearing. The program is amazing, addressing core issues on all levels to facilitate real healing."

The facility earned five stars for treatment effectiveness, accommodations & amenities, and meals & nutrition from alum Jennifer as well. She reported being happy with how the staff treated her and appreciating the support she received after leaving the program. “The staff was attentive to every need and concern for the duration of my stay, not to mention the resource available once I completed my stay at The Clearing...I was ready to save my life and at the Clearing I was shown how to do just that."

The most recent alum to report to Rehabs.com to date, Chris, also gave a perfect score to treatment effectiveness as, and granted the facility similarly high levels of praise. He exclaimed, "As far as I am concerned, the folks (Staff) at The Clearing, are top notch people who exhibit the highest order of care and understanding, I have ever experienced. They earned my trust and respect."

At the time of this writing, the Clearing received a perfect five-star rating from three reviewers on Google.[1] The two written comments credit the center's staff with being caring and attentive, and reviewer S.W. summarized, "Amazing place. Amazing people."

The facility’s entire 28-day program costs $45,000. The fee covers counseling, meals, and any other program expenses. The center accepts most forms of insurance. Additionally, the Clearing has partnered with Prosper Healthcare Lending, which specializes in addiction treatment financing.

[1] https://goo.gl/QGEfuS

Published on February 2018

The experience at the Clearing was the most traumatic I have ever encountered. Advertising as a dual-diagnosis facility is shameful.The owners and staff are ill-equipped to deal with anyone who asks thoughtful, intelligent questions. I do NOT recommend this program to someone who has a real addiction or mental health issue. If you are looking for a place to solely work on your spiritual development, this program may be a good fit. The location is beautiful, and the food is good.

Helpful, but not the same as time with a therapist there are no therapists on staff- the psychiatrist on the website link is met on the first day and leaves. My colleague was confused by bitterness, as was our entire group. It is a wonderful program and location with former participants acting as therapists. Spiritual psychology.

The Clearing claims that it is a dual diagnosis rehab program. I am writing this review based on my visiting and attending a family training in support of a friend who attended. My friend had no substance abuse issues and was there to deal with chronic depression and anxiety. In meeting the therapists there and being introduced to their methodology I found that the therapeutic approach was limited and did not waiver according to who their client was. If you connect with the program that's great. The therapists are only versed in the therapy approach they present and have no deep knowledge and training in alternative approaches. I strongly would not recommend this program. It's in a beautiful setting and the food was delicious and plentiful. The therapists are limited in knowledge to the specific program they offer. They are unable to tap into other resources when their approach is not effective for the client.

Throughout my life, I believed depression and anxiety were inherent and immovable forces. I had operated from a space of self-loathing, anger, and overwhelm since childhood and I was skeptical that there was a productive, healthy life in my future. Isn�t it na�ve to assume that life can be joyful? Where do people get off having inner peace? My accomplishments and accolades felt empty and only in over-working, over-exercising, food restriction, and self-harm behavior did I feel some semblance of control in the chaos. Of course, control was fleeting and damaging on all levels of my being, but even a temporary fix seemed necessary to continue the uphill battle. On many occasions, the bleak future of discontent and fear led me to feel that dying would be a gentle kindness. When I made the decision to dedicate 28 days of my life to concentrated healing, I was expecting some coping tools for how to handle my depression. I owned the idea that I was beyond help, a victim of the culmination of my life�s events and culpable for every failure or mistake, defined by my ability to �do�, frustrated with my inability to �get over it and carry on�. I viewed psychology as a soft science of speculation and readied myself to be inundated with dogma and fluffy breathing techniques to handle my panic. Never once did I expect to find my heart�s center, to learn to love myself for who I am at the core of my being, to release my attachment to external control, and to release the hurts I held inside that made me defensive, fearful, and withdrawn. I didn�t expect to find my purpose, to feel confident in leaning into my passions, or to thrive in a world in which I save and honor myself and care for my life�s journey with tenderness, compassion, loving, and grace. The environment at The Clearing is bright, warm, and loving. Every accommodation is made to allow each participant to fully focus on their internal journey. Meals are divine, the cookie jar mysteriously refills itself, the coffee pot bubbles all day, and the beds are piled with blankets. I was never a patient, but rather, a family member treated with love and respect. I was surrounded by like minds- people who actually wanted to be there. The staff is authentic, humorous, kind, dedicated, and compassionate- giant hearts walking around on two legs and practicing these tools in their lives daily. I immediately felt safe and held in loving, which was instrumental in allowing years of emotional baggage to be explored and healed. Each lecture in the workshop was intuitive, but also informative and evidence-based. The experiential learning cemented the concepts into memory and the tools I learned empowered me to rescue myself from my fears, insecurities, pain, and traumas. While the idea of being personally responsible for my feelings felt a little intimidating at first, it turned out to be exactly what I had been seeking- a form of internal power and emotional security. All of a sudden, I was in control of my joy and it was boundless and overflowing. Six months after the completion of the program, I realized I had not experienced a single day of immovable depression. I had not experienced a single panic attack. I used my tools frequently (and still do), rebuilt damaged relationships in my life, removed myself from that which did not serve me, and finally learned to share my voice with confidence. This is what a healthy life felt like. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for my experience. I consider The Clearing staff my family, always and forever. And what do they say when I express my gratitude? �You did this. You did this for you- we just gave you the tools. You�re the one that rescued yourself.� And I did. I am my own lady-knight in shining armor. And I will continue to live a life of peace, practicing awareness, dedicated to sharing a beautiful truth: Depression can be temporary. All beings are worthy of love. Even you. Supportive Staff Evidence Based Methods Life-Changing Awareness Safe Space. It can be difficult to wait to enter the next session, but it is so worth going to a place where there isn't a rotating door policy to distract from the actual curriculum.

My experience at The Clearing was, in a word, transformational. Entering The Clearing I never believed that I truly experienced �trauma� in my life, based upon society�s definition of the word. However, I had experienced numerous challenges and events in my life which shaped the way I experienced and emotionally lived my life. With the unabashed love, empathy and support of the amazing staff at The Clearing I addressed these events in my life and transformed the way I held these past events in my heart and in my mind. The program at The Clearing is not easy, but it is also not about rote memorization, fear or blaming. One of the many things I learned at The Clearing is �what is mine to feel is mine to heal.� People don�t make me feel a certain way; it is how I receive, hold and believe in the issue that matters. Using the tools of Spiritual Psychology, I learned, understood and embraced at The Clearing, I set upon a path of healing and enlightenment. One of the principles of Spiritual Psychology is �Spirit meets us at the point of action.� I came to The Clearing with a spiritual belief that was somewhere between atheism and agnosticism. A year after my transformational experience at The Clearing I have an ever deepening relationship with my higher power, Spirit, that is very personal. I certainly do not proclaim to have it all figured out, and I embrace that everyone has a very unique and personal relationship with a higher power whether it is God, the universe or simply nature. What I do understand, believe and feel in my life every day is that when I choose to move my life in a positive direction, Spirit or God or the universe is there with me. There is energy, love and support in this journey. Twenty-eight days after starting my journey at The Clearing I left the facility with a new lease on life; a feeling that I was intelligent, compassionate and filled with self-love and appreciation; my life�s journey was not fatalistic. I was and I remain wildly optimistic about by unfolding life�s purpose. I live and practice the tools I learned at The Clearing every day of my life; these tools and ways of being are my life. I am living my life each day with self-love, optimism, joy and purpose. A funny thing happened along the way; I don�t drink anymore. We rarely talked about our �substance� of choice at The Clearing; instead, we talked about our lives and what was standing in the way of what we wanted to manifest in our lives. As Joe says: �It�s not about the substance.� When I healed the underlying core issues in my life, alcohol lost all of the energy that it held in my life. I have no desire to drink but I am also not afraid, addicted or subordinate to this substance. I am simply at peace without needing the coping mechanism that I used in my life to address the emotional issues. I now heal these emotional issues as they present themselves in my life using the tools I learned at The Clearing. Healing! and not focusing on coping mechanisms or rote techniques for avoidance. Learning tools for life and freedom. None that I can truly think of. Participants must be authentic, willing to learn and open to change. People comment on the cost but: 1) it is not inexpensive to run a facility with a cohort style treatment modality; and 2) what is your life worth? For me it was worth the money and I would have paid more if I knew what the outcome would be.

Residential Treatment at The Clearing is truly extraordinary. The skills they teach allow participants to focus on their individual issues and resolve them so that they're no longer a trigger, uncovering one's balanced, authentic self, often for the first time in a very long time. Substance abuse is not the issue, not a disease, it's just a way to cope with life when we don't know what else to do. I learned that any upset is caused by unresolved issues and that I can heal them quickly and have my happy life back. For me it was a subtle change in perspective, almost imperceptible, and yet it was HUGE, it changed everything. I think many of us get to adulthood and begin to believe that we know how the world works, we know what everything means and why things are the way they are. But if you can allow yourself the chance to see things differently and embrace these tools and practices, you will come to know and understand that there is a world right here that loves you exactly as you are, you just didn't see it. The Clearing program is exceptional, counselors are excellent, and they also serve incredible food. These people are doing it right.

The Program at The Clearing went far beyond my expectations of expansion of self-awareness and healing core issues. As a trained counselor and body worker, I was grateful to discover that I can personally go deeper and wider along my healing path. I appreciated how holistic the program is, offering a wide variety of classes interspersed with free time in which I could wander the grounds outside or engage with classmates or be contemplative. The tools and skills I was taught are powerful and will be with me for the rest of my life. Saying intentions and my affirmation before giving a presentation has made a huge difference in my anxiety level and regularly contradicts my inner critic. The staff was totally accessible and supportive, kind, fun and wise. They are what I refer to as 'earth angels.' Of course, it helps that this facility is in a stunningly beautiful, pastoral setting, with moderate temperatures and lots of trees. I've been able to share much about what I learned at the Clearing with my family and friends and they in turn have experienced changes in perspective. I recommend The Clearing wholeheartedly to anyone wishing to heal their life.

Amazing Place! I was a bit apprehensive because of my Christian background. I didn�t want a place that contradicted my personal beliefs but I was open to hear what they had to say. Obviously my way of life had gotten me there. Everything that was taught was clearly given from God. Although there are no bible verses that accompany any of the teaching, it was still God�s truth. A focus on personal responsibility was refreshing, I knew I didn�t have a disease and a place that is centered in that truth was a blessing. So thankful to have had an opportunity to heal at the deepest level possible and to deal with issues that were contributing to my substance abuse. The most loving people on the planet. Very accepting. Food was so good I gained 10 pounds. I want to go back! How many people can say that about a rehab facility? I�m still sober and continuing to use the tools that I learned there everyday. I think everyone should go through this program whether you have a �problem� or not. You will get a masters degree education in 30 days and be the best version of you that you have ever been! I miss this place weekly! It�s hard to. Everything was amazing. Maybe just the books we read for book club. They didn�t really add to the experience.

While doing my own research for rehab facilities I knew I wanted to go to a facility that was an alternative to the 12 step program because that had never reigned with me. The Clearing changed my life for the better in every area of my life. I have learned how to love myself, forgive myself and forgive others, something I never thought was possible before The Clearing. Everything about The Clearing is a beautiful experience and every employee truly care about your well being. The hardest part about having this experience is that I miss everyone from The Clearing, the employees and participants from my session. A few of us grads from other sessions have started to get together for aftercare activities recently and It has just made their aftercare program at The Clearing even stronger by being able to connect us all. I encourage anyone who wants to alter their life for the better to attend The Clearing, you don't have to have a substance abuse problem to benefit from this program, any addiction to something outside of you is an unhealthy attachment and The Clearing teaches you that happiness comes from within and they give you the tools to handle the ups and downs of life after you graduate from this beautiful, life altering emotional health facility. It's the perfect place to start your spiritual journey if you are seeking more fulfillment in your life. Everyone is treated equally and showered with love at this facility making it an amazing environment to heal from even the most traumatic life experiences. Treats everyone with loving kindness, respect, with equality and shows no judgement towards anyone. Does not have a pool, which can be extremely therapeutic for people and can be necessary for people with disabilities.

During the week prior to my arrival at The Clearing, I was, to say the least, full of anxiety. I know I am not alone here. The angst was normal, but very quickly, like within 15 minutes after arrival, it was laid to rest. I mean totally. For me, it was due to the pleasantness of the facility. Joe Koelzer was the first person I encountered, as I parked my car. What a kind man. Compared to an experience I had with a rehab facility a few years prior, it was well un-natural. I mean there is nothing INSTITUTIONAL about the place. Llamas, sheep, goats, a horse, an incredible dog, ducks, geese of course, it's a farm. But almost immediately, I knew this was going to be a truly genuine growth experience I had been wanting. My time at The Clearing was exceptional. It did change my life. The manner in which they introduced me to the concept of Spiritual Psychology compelled me to want to take it all in. I mean, here I am, in a most pastoral setting in the company of only 7 other participants, a staff that is over the top friendly and caring and informative. This is how it is supposed to be. I knew, without a doubt at the end of the first week, I was headed for healing and yes, a new way of looking at the world, looking at myself, and looking forward to my future. As far as I am concerned, the folks (Staff) at The Clearing, are top notch people who exhibit the highest order of care and understanding, I have ever experienced. They earned my trust and respect. If an Oscar were to be awarded in this line of work, they would get it, one and all. I cannot in good conscience, single out any one or two or three people there. They are all simply Top Notch folks. One of the things I really must say at this point, is how durable the learning and tools are. I use some aspect of what I took away from The Clearing, everyday!!! Another way to look at it, is like this; the 28 days provided me with a launch pad for the rest of my life. I have taken off and as I rocket toward my destiny, I do so with confidence, love, balance, self-respect you name it. They helped me get my mind right.۝ What I mean to say is that I have always been the kind of person who frustrates easily because the world around me will not behave as I expect. A form of Cognitive Dissonance. What I have become now, as a result of my learning and applying what I have learned at The Clearing is this. I have chosen to align myself with my soul. I have one. I have chosen to become loving and compassionate, and, Karmically aware. Because of this choice, a new and stronger Clarity is now available to me, as never before. Dissonance has diminished. But I have opined enough here. But hey, when you have a great experience, you want to share it right? Oh, and let's not forget the food. What a trip that is. Wow. Remember what I said about INSTITUTION. The food there tastes as if it was catered in from El Gaucho's in Seattle every day. And the cookies, the brownies, the treats, the coffee. The tea!!! It's nuts. Yes those too. AWESOME FOOD. Oh, and then there is my own room, shower, toilet and private time to study, to think, to walk, and walk, and pet the critters that abound. Dude, if you are considering making the commitment to spend a little time at The Clearing, you will never have a better opportunity to get your mind right.۝ Do it All my love. I love you guys and gals.

The staff was attentive to every need and concern for the duration of my stay, not to mention the resources available once I completed my stay at The Clearing. My stay at the farm gave me the resources to save my own life. I had my needs met at The Clearing. The staff is genuine! What you see is what you get! If you are willing to do the work and stick through the tough times with the help of the staff, I recommend investing into your future! I was ready to save my life and at The Clearing I was shown how to do just that. The structure and guidance helped me feel safe enough to get to my core issues and do the work necessary to get where I am today. I have to mention the fresh cookies and the abundance of amazing food made daily!

I went to the Clearing after both doing a 12 step program and an aversion therapy program. Both, ultimately did not work for me.The Clearing takes a uniquely different approach and tries to build you up rather than tear you down. Part of the staff is fantastic and genuinely care about you. At the others, it seemed like the most important thing to them was if your insurance covered you and your check would clear. I was there for alcohol and it hasn't been perfect since I left there 18 months ago. I have had some slips but I have not fallen back into the hole I was in before. I have kept all my material from the Clearing and try to use all the tools that they gave me. So far, it is working and my life is significantly better than when I checked in. The site is beautiful, the food is outstanding, and as I already mentioned, the staff is remarkable. I absolutely recommend the Clearing to you.

The program at The Clearing, literally gave me my life back! It is such a difficult decision to begin the process of deciding on Rehab. It was scary! I spoke to one of the male staff members almost daily for the 2 weeks prior to deciding to go to the Clearing. I knew that I needed a safe place to fall apart from what alcohol and depression had done to me. This is exactly what I got at the Clearing. I felt safe and cared about! They don't treat you like there is something wrong with you. It is more focused on finding out who you are! Healing underlying issues that keep coming up in your life. AND creating a life that you love! I absolutely LOVE the staff at the Clearing. I think of them as family! Could not recommend this Rehab location enough. They changed my life! It has been 2 1/2 years and I still use the the skills that I learned at the Clearing!

Substance abuse (alcohol) wasn't my biggest reason for going to The Clearing; it was my chronic, life-long depression. I was simply weary of the inherent struggle in leading two lives, one life of the perennial over-achiever, the other of the depressed, frightened introvert. Hiding the life of the second from the world of the first had finally exhausted me. And my long-running personal therapy sessions and anti-depressant meds had reached an unsatisfactory plateau. Speaking with two staff members at The Clearing convinced me the program was right for me, because I cried deeply after each of those interview phone calls due to their caring, honest natures and the pinpoint accuracy of their questions and explanations. I felt hope for the first time in years - hope to truly unravel, at an emotional level, the core issues behind my depression and related self-destructive behaviors. And unravel some issues we did! Good fortune put me into a session with some truly remarkable fellow-participants; creative, intelligent, compassionate, and brutally honest with themselves. The mutual trust and accountability we developed positively blows me away as I think about it now. I came into The Clearing a very guarded person, but I teared up, cried, bawled and uncorked painful memories with this group of "strangers". It was a wonderful release to be fully honest with my buried feelings. From my first email to our graduation evening, The Clearing staff treated me with respect, compassion and understanding. Humor permeated everyone’s attitude, but never overshadowed the seriousness of my reason for being there. The accommodations were excellent, and the food superb. I never felt like an inmate, or a damaged person, nor did I feel condescension raining down on me. I was treated as a man who wanted to heal. There were two men that were our workshop leaders, and they are fabulous teachers, as well as incisive listeners, with years of experience in this recovery philosophy to offer participants. There is no preaching here, only deep emotional learning. During the month at the Farm I worked on many of my core issues – maybe even healed one or two - and the tools I brought home help me to continue peeling layers from my inner self. I’m learning to love and take care of myself – a true gift from my days at The Clearing.

The Clearing not only gave me my life back, but the new version is healed, free from the baggage that I struggled with. I highly recommend this facility to everyone who struggles with addiction!

The Clearing saved my life. Having tried everything for years and at the end of my rope with thoughts of suicide i, with the help of my family embarked on a national search for a different type of depression relief program. Not a business model approach like so many others we called but an approach with extraordinarily caring people and real healing tools. From our many calls of exploration at the outset of our search to the very end of the program The Clearing and its staff continually showed their deep, personal commitment to providing a unique and trans formative personal program above all others. in addition to this genuine foundation The Clearing separates itself from all the others with its small group format of no more than 10 participants for the entire month, private bedrooms and bathrooms, 6 days a week of structured emotional and cognitive work based on science as well as evidence based psychology work. It's 'after-care' program once you've left the farm is incredibly generous and nurturing ans sustaining. Oh and the food is awesome too! The Clearing reveals a variety of methods, modes and tools which comprehensively come together to re-frame the way you think, the way you view yourself and view the world. Every child should be taught this curriculum in school. And it should be noted it is not religious. It does not infringe on your personal beliefs, nor does it concentrate on your "issue." It gets to the core emotional events, the root causes which have led you there. If you are struggling with addiction and or depression and anxiety as i was. You no longer have to live with it. The Clearing will change your life--and your family's.

If I had gone through the usual mindless "12 step" rehab at some other location, I would not be any better off today. Because of 'The Clearing'... I am better off today. They made the difference. The methods they use, the warmth and love they give, the environment they provide is way above and beyond anything to be found anywhere else. I am a fan.

If you're looking for a rehab that delivers on their promises, call The Clearing. The program is amazing, addressing core issues on all levels to facilitate real healing. That said, be prepared to get to work - the 28-day program is basically the equivalent of a two-year Master's in counseling. In workshops and therapy sessions, you go deep into all those issues you've been avoiding for years. But don't worry, all of this is done in an incredibly welcoming and supportive environment. The farm location itself is beautiful, but the people are what make this place so special. Every staff member I encountered truly cared and went above and beyond for us. They paid attention to the details and took great care of us. I loved my group and felt so fortunate to work alongside the other participants. (Also, it's worth mentioning that the guest house was nice and cozy and the food was delicious.) It was the experience of a lifetime. I highly recommend The Clearing!

I received treatment for clinical depression and alcohol abuse at The Clearing in 2016. A 28-day inpatient program, The Clearing's program was, for me, completely transformative. As this program is not a 12 Step program but, rather, one that utilizes the tools and principles of Spiritual Psychology, I was able to learn how to accept and heal the underlying issues of the depression and anxiety that led me to drink as a way of numbing my pain. The Clearing's program is certainly an intensive one but I found myself completely supported and unconditionally loved by the entire staff ... and all of the wonderful farm animals. This is a program that will allow you to reclaim your own power. This is a program that will teach you how to truly love yourself and, by extension, realize the true beauty of your life. At The Clearing, you will receive all of the tools that you will ever need to live the life that you imagine for yourself. You will have to wade through all of that muck that you've tamped down for so long to get there but once you do, you will be truly free. You will be empowered. You will be healthy. This is not a clinical program--no white walls, no bed-checks, no chores. You will be treated as an individual and, though you will be held responsible for your actions, you will be trusted as a member of The Clearing community during treatment. Also? Karaoke. And bonfires. And s'mores. Hiking and nature walks. Tai Chi. Field trip! I whole-heartedly recommend the program at The Clearing to anyone who struggles with depression, substance abuse, compulsive disorders, any kind of mental or emotional disturbance, and/or anyone simply looking to learn how to truly live their life to the fullest.

This facility is located in a uniquely beautiful and peaceful place. That and the 'spiritual psychology' based treatment program is deeply effective and sustaining.