The Clearing in Friday Harbor, WA

2687 West Valley Road
Friday Harbor WA 98250

The Clearing Philosophy

The Clearing is a non-12 step, dual diagnosis residential treatment center specializing in substance abuse along with issues associated with depression, self esteem, trauma and loss. Recovery takes on a whole new meaning here. We don’t subscribe to the traditional recovery dogma of powerlessness and dependence. Instead, you’ll depart our program with authentic empowerment, clarity, and mastery of the tools and strategies to achieve the life you want. We are an evidence based psychological healing approach. We focus on healing the underlying core issues that cause addiction and other limiting behaviors. With core issues healed, you‘ll eliminate anxiety, depression, hopelessness, low self-esteem, and the the need for substances to cope. You’ll be amazed with how simple, powerful, intellectually engaging and transformative this work is for you.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Tai Chi

Self-Counseling Techniques

Non-12 Step Approach

Joe Koelzer

Co-Founder, CEO

Joe Koelzer has spent his career in business consulting having worked with over 200 emerging growth businesses in the past twenty years. In the creation of this extraordinary program, Joe realizes his long-held dream of teaching the Principals of Spiritual Psychology to others. In founding The Clearing, Joe holds no principle more highly than bringing this program forward for the Highest Good of All Concerned. Every aspect of this business is founded and implemented with this desire foremost in his consciousness.

Betsy Koelzer

Co-Founder, VP of Operations

Betsy Koelzer brings to The Clearing the only practical, real-life experience as an addict and alcoholic. In fact, everything her co-founder and husband Joe knows about dealing with a dysfunctional personality, he learned from her. Irreverent yet spiritual, Betsy blends this into a unique pattern of counseling that is gentle, authentic, refreshing and healing usually works if there is plenty of coffee. Having actually been to treatment twice, and loathing both internments with an undiminished intensity, Betsy is uncommonly motivated to bring this program forward to fellow survivors.

ABOUT THE CLEARING

Located in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island in the Puget Sound of Washington State, The Clearing is a dual diagnosis residential rehab center for adult men and women. The facility, which only admits 10 clients at a time, offers treatment for substance abuse, eating disorders, and co-occurring mental health issues.

Treatment plans last a continuous 28 days, with all group members starting and finishing the program at the same time. Detox services are not available on-site, but The Clearing will refer clients to one of the nearby medical detox facilities if needed.

The Clearing prides itself on its unique and highly personalized residential program. The facility accepts clients in one cohesive group rather than having clients start and finish the program at varying times. Participants go through treatment at the same pace in an effort to avoid disruption and disconnection within the inpatient community.

The facility’s treatment methods are not based on the 12-Steps. Instead, the facility offers a Spiritual Psychology program, which teaches 21 principles of healing and recovery created by two professors from the University of Santa Monica. This is combined with evidence-based practices and rational emotive therapy. Clients receive individual counseling and group therapy while they also participate regularly in psychological workshop sessions.

The staff leading the facility include a Ph.D. level clinical director with over 20 years of experience in the mental health field, a VP of operations with first-hand experience as an addict, a CEO with academic credentials in both business development and spiritual psychology, a director of complementary therapies, and various administrative personnel.

The Clearing is situated on a 64-acre working farm and housed in a former bed and breakfast. Residents live in cozy private bedrooms with desk areas and attached bathrooms. There are opportunities for physical fitness and other activities offered, including walking the many trails that surround the facility. Meals are prepared by a chef and include locally sourced ingredients whenever possible.

All 11 of the alumni polled by Rehabs.com at time of writing gave The Clearing glowing reviews. Alum Chip gave the facility five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, accommodations & amenities, and meals & nutrition and wrote that the treatment program at the Clearing was a life-saving experience for him, a claim many of the other reviewers echoed. “Having tried everything for years and at the end of my rope with thoughts of suicide i, with the help of my family embarked on a national search for a different type of depression relief program...The Clearing will change your life -- and your family’s,” Chip wrote. Caroline, another alum, remarked, "If you're looking for a rehab that delivers on their promises, call The Clearing. The program is amazing, addressing core issues on all levels to facilitate real healing."

The facility earned five stars for treatment effectiveness, accommodations & amenities, and meals & nutrition from alum Jennifer as well. She reported being happy with how the staff treated her and appreciating the support she received after leaving the program. “The staff was attentive to every need and concern for the duration of my stay, not to mention the resource available once I completed my stay at The Clearing...I was ready to save my life and at the Clearing I was shown how to do just that."

The most recent alum to report to Rehabs.com to date, Chris, also gave a perfect score to treatment effectiveness as, and granted the facility similarly high levels of praise. He exclaimed, "As far as I am concerned, the folks (Staff) at The Clearing, are top notch people who exhibit the highest order of care and understanding, I have ever experienced. They earned my trust and respect."

At the time of this writing, the Clearing received a perfect five-star rating from three reviewers on Google.[1] The two written comments credit the center's staff with being caring and attentive, and reviewer S.W. summarized, "Amazing place. Amazing people."

The facility’s entire 28-day program costs $45,000. The fee covers counseling, meals, and any other program expenses. The center accepts most forms of insurance. Additionally, the Clearing has partnered with Prosper Healthcare Lending, which specializes in addiction treatment financing.

[1] https://goo.gl/QGEfuS

Published on February 2018

Tracy

The Clearing is a wonderful place. The program itself is amazing. Hands down this program should benefit your life at some level. I came in there completely broken. I was a member of NA for twenty three years and it no longer worked for me. I was looking for something different. I had just gone through a torturous year battling breast cancer and physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually dead. On my way there I had so many traumas overlapping each other I could see straight. I needed help. In my opinion the clearing is not about addiction at all. Anyone with issues would benefit. The clearing really helped me get a grip of my life. I left in much better shape than when I arrived. I’m not cured by any means but I’m doing much better. It is worth the time and money and I’m very grateful. It’s like a spiritual boot camp. Personally I gave it 110 percent. I worked hard and did my best . They have a very thoughtful and caring staff. Every morning you wake up to yoga and tai chi. It’s awesome. Your days are filled with workshop, meditation, book clubs, personal work, and much more. They train you to rewire your brain. The focus is self love. This program Is real. As a mater of fact the entire staff works the same program. They put their heart and souls into the program. They care. They created an amazing place. They taught incredible skills. They do their very best to accommodate you. They even have a well thought out aftercare program to support you when you leave. In other words, they don’t just drop you. You are still working the program when you leave. They really do their best and they really care. My concern is that it worked wonders “ while in the atmosphere.” The problem for myself I needed more time to train myself. I almost wish it was a 6 month outpatient program so I had more time to process issues and get in the habit of personally integrating and utilizing the tools on my own. I needed more time to process my traumas. The program definitely helped me “crack the egg” but I was lagging behind and having a difficult time keeping up. I’m my opinion, If you have fatigue or physical limitations it could negatively affect your experience. It did mine. The rush to get my work done and get adequate sleep gave me more stress and therefore less processing. I would have benefitted more if it were a slower circicullum and more time. This is all my own experience. For the month I spent there. The staff members are all super. They are kind and loving. They do everything they can to make it as homey as possible. They are incredible people. All of them. Although there are some problems with the owners. They are both incredible people with their own issues. It was wonderful seeing them incorporate the teachings in their own life. Like I said it’s incredible work and the the tools make sense. I used to be in NA for 23 years. I was done with the 12 steps and I admit it no longer worked for me . They do not bash the 12 steps but they say it does not do anything to help your issues. In my opinion they are unfamiliar with the real workings of the 12 steps and base their opinions on a couple meetings and rehabs. I have 23 years of experience and know the true potential of spiritual growth with “writing” all 12 steps. Although it stopped working for me so I needed something different. The following paragraph is my own experience. The owners are kind people. They care. But you don't want to get on their bad sides or you will be walking on eggshells for a month. Its almost like you are part of a little family with two parents you don't want disappoint them . I felt like a little girl trying to please my Parents. Another problem is if you are upset ( crying) while there is no session you have to isolate yourself. There were a couple times I was crying and one of the owners told me not to talk about my feelings with any of the other members because it disturbed their process. That personally didn’t feel so great. One of the owners wanted me to sit in my room so I didn’t expose the other clients to any negativity ... I understand what they are trying to accomplish but I personally felt isolated and scolded . There was one incident that caused one of the owners screamed at us and took all our privileges away. We basically got grounded. Also if you have a temper you have to hold it in. There is a healing vibe on the property so if you are going through uncomfortable feelings you can potentially mess the other clients energy so you have to pull yourself together in order to be around other people. That part didn’t feel very good. ... also the program is awesome but when I left I had many tools and an excellent aftercare program but I found it difficult to utilize the tools without being in the company of my support group. Once I left there I have found it hard to stay with the program. That is my present situation. I fell off because I’m back at home and away from the environment. If you were to live there or work there you would be with a community with the same purpose of healing. It works. When I left it didn’t work as well for me. This is all my own personal experience. Overall, I highly recommend the clearing for help with substance abuse and dual diagnosis. They undercover the real trauma. They keep you moving and support you through the process. The staff is kind and loving. The environment is beautiful. The food is yummy. There were a couple set backs but that are always asking for help from the participants if they could do anything to make it better ? They are a work in progress and always wanting to change for the betterment of the program. I recommend the clearing.

Brian

At 64 I had been locked in a cycle of depression and substance abuse for decades. The Clearing provided me the tools and unwavering support to deal with my struggles long after leaving the facility. Treatment more closely resembled a Masters Program, gently teaching us how to uncover deep rooted emotional struggles and deal with them one at a time, instead of attempting to bury things in a fog. While the work is difficult, not once did I feel alone or lost. The Staff is genuine, attentive, and committed, I believe management has assembled a remarkable team. The facility is peaceful, with enough land to sit next to a stream or feed the Goats, Chickens, Alpaca to clear your head. Two years on and despite experiencing a number of difficult life situations, I have dealt with them head on and not relapsed once. I am thoroughly grateful to the Clearing for giving me an approach that truly works, and highly recommend them.

S.D.

The Clearing is totally unique among treatment centers. It is located on a beautiful estate on San Juan Island, in Washington state, and the whole experience is peaceful, loving, and genuine. The feeling is that you are among friends (both staff and fellow participants) who care about your healing. This is an intensive program where deep emotional work is done to get at the root issues. The experience was deeply transformative.

H.M.

I came to The Clearing completely destroyed, humiliated and broken. In searching for treatment, my final “hurrah” of hope, I knew there was so much within me and had no idea how to deal with. Like past attempts, I couldn’t will it, breathe it, write it, hope it, nor talk all those feelings away. Upon initial investigation of treatment places, The Clearing offered something so profoundly different and it made total sense me to look at the underlying issues that caused me to drink, starve, or vomit in the first place. I was a participant in a group that all began and ended on the same day learning the strategies and tools to safely and lovingly look at past experiences and beliefs and heal them without shame. The Clearing is beyond trite sayings, surface practices, and “good feeling” methodology. Tools and strategies are learned from an emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual level. I finally came to a way to be with myself, with others, and ultimately in this world with greater ease and peace.

J.B.

I was a participant in The Clearing's 28-day program after watching the transformative process of a close family member graduate from the same program. Having gone through a tough season of change in my own life, and a lifelong struggle with mental health, the healing and the tools that accompanied the program were invaluable.

R.D.

My name is Grace. I am just about to be 72 years old. This past September and October I attended The Clearing, a 28-day in-patient rehab center in Friday Harbor, WA. I am a renowned cynic and a practiced critical thinker. I have read nearly every self-help book published in the past 35 years. (A slight exaggeration), I have attended various churches, studied and practiced Buddhism, and tried and tried to make the 12-Step program work for me. Yes, my cynicism and my attempts at finding help for alcohol addiction, anxiety, and depression really do clash, but I was desperate. I had been desperate for years. And I had bouts of not drinking, but I always found my way back to relieving my anxiety with help from the bottle. I was a teacher/administrator/consultant for 47 years—success was my game. I never missed a day of work or embarrassed myself. I just secretly kicked my own ass and pretended that I was “fine.” My wife, of course, knew about my struggles, because I woke her up as I headed out for 7 AM meetings many times. Then I slipped into a deep depression along with the drinking and got to the point of the “either or question.” Get help or die. I began to search for something different than a 12-step program. After 30 years of trying that path without lasting success, it was time for something else. I found information on THE CLEARING and zeroed in. I talked with Betsy, one of the directors and Claire, a counselor. Of course, I had my hyper-cynical and critical radar on, but no alarm bells or whistles went off. I found them both extremely warm, helpful and down-to-earth. I had an intuitive understanding that The Clearing was the place for me. But wait, it cost what? I am on Medicare and have supplemental insurance but neither would help with the cost. So I thought about it like this: if I died, our family’s income would be cut in half. If I got the help I needed, it would only be a year or two before the program would pay for itself. I signed up and, with a lot of fear, headed to The Clearing for four weeks of rehab. As you might guess, I was the oldest person there. Our cohort of 9 ranged in age from 28 to 71. But it felt like the first year of college all over again. We were thrown together into a cozy setting where we shared, laughed, cried, played and eat together. That group of 8 strangers helped save my life. The official daily work counselling, exercising, meditating, reading and writing is the core of the program. At first, I looked for the cracks in the program, but as hard as I tried, I did not, could not find them. Betsy and Joe, the directors, were real, honest and knowledgeable. There was not even a whisper of hypocrisy. The counselors were insightful and caring. The chefs were skilled and never failed to present a wonderful meal. The office staff were efficient and warm. The farm helpers were hardworking and friendly. I was then and am now even more impressed with the skill that Betsy and Joe have in hiring and keeping just the right people who make a wonderful place for people to heal and learn to heal themselves. I loved the daily routine; it was just right, and it was mandatory. We started with yoga and Tai chi then we had a full breakfast, or whatever you chose. The real work began at 9 AM, when we started class for the next four hours. It was in these sessions, led by Joe mostly and the help of Tom and Claire that we got to the heart of the matter. We learned counselling skills, emotional and intellectual skills, as well ideas about spiritual psychology. We learned and then we practiced. Learning to listen to others deeply and listening to ourselves. I was renowned for using the most Kleenex in these sessions as I unearthed hurt and pain so that I could heal. We spent the afternoons doing meditation, individual counselling, book discussion, art sessions, or walking the path on the property. I tried to fit in a session on the stationary bike each day too. Dinner was at 6 PM . . . another exquisite meal. From 7 PM until bedtime the cohort usually gathered in the living room to talk, play games, laugh like crazy or attempt to read our homework for the next day. After 26 days of our routine family members came to be with us and learn what we had been learning. My family came. And our time at The Clearing separately and together has changed us all. Now, nearly six months later, I see clearly and practice what I learned each day. I did not get a final cure . . . I got tools to practice each day and the insight to accept that there is only that. My name is Grace. I am just about to be 72 years old. This past September and October I attended The Clearing, a 28-day in-patient rehab center in Friday Harbor, WA. I am a renowned cynic and a practiced critical thinker. I have read nearly every self-help book published in the past 35 years. (A slight exaggeration), I have attended various churches, studied and practiced Buddhism, and tried and tried to make the 12-Step program work for me. Yes, my cynicism and my attempts at finding help for alcohol addiction, anxiety, and depression really do clash, but I was desperate. I had been desperate for years. And I had bouts of not drinking, but I always found my way back to relieving my anxiety with help from the bottle. I was a teacher/administrator/consultant for 47 years—success was my game. I never missed a day of work or embarrassed myself. I just secretly kicked my own ass and pretended that I was “fine.” My wife, of course, knew about my struggles, because I woke her up as I headed out for 7 AM meetings many times. Then I slipped into a deep depression along with the drinking and got to the point of the “either or question.” Get help or die. I began to search for something different than a 12-step program. After 30 years of trying that path without lasting success, it was time for something else. I found information on THE CLEARING and zeroed in. I talked with one of the directors and a counselor. Of course, I had my hyper-cynical and critical radar on, but no alarm bells or whistles went off. I found them both extremely warm, helpful and down-to-earth. I had an intuitive understanding that The Clearing was the place for me. But wait, it cost what? I am on Medicare and have supplemental insurance but neither would help with the cost. So I thought about it like this: if I died, our family’s income would be cut in half. If I got the help I needed, it would only be a year or two before the program would pay for itself. I signed up and, with a lot of fear, headed to The Clearing for four weeks of rehab. As you might guess, I was the oldest person there. Our cohort of 9 ranged in age from 28 to 71. But it felt like the first year of college all over again. We were thrown together into a cozy setting where we shared, laughed, cried, played and eat together. That group of 8 strangers helped save my life. The official daily work counselling, exercising, meditating, reading and writing is the core of the program. At first, I looked for the cracks in the program, but as hard as I tried, I did not, could not find them. The directors were real, honest and knowledgeable. There was not even a whisper of hypocrisy. The counselors were insightful and caring. The chefs were skilled and never failed to present a wonderful meal. The office staff were efficient and warm. The farm helpers were hardworking and friendly. I was then and am now even more impressed with the skill that the directors have in hiring and keeping just the right people who make a wonderful place for people to heal and learn to heal themselves. I loved the daily routine; it was just right, and it was mandatory. We started with yoga and Tai chi then we had a full breakfast, or whatever you chose. The real work began at 9 AM, when we started class for the next four hours. It was in these sessions that we got to the heart of the matter. We learned counselling skills, emotional and intellectual skills, as well ideas about spiritual psychology. We learned and then we practiced. Learning to listen to others deeply and listening to ourselves. I was renowned for using the most Kleenex in these sessions as I unearthed hurt and pain so that I could heal. We spent the afternoons doing meditation, individual counselling, book discussion, art sessions, or walking the path on the property. I tried to fit in a session on the stationary bike each day too. Dinner was at 6 PM . . . another exquisite meal. From 7 PM until bedtime the cohort usually gathered in the living room to talk, play games, laugh like crazy or attempt to read our homework for the next day. After 26 days of our routine family members came to be with us and learn what we had been learning. My family came. And our time at The Clearing separately and together has changed us all. Now, nearly six months later, I see clearly and practice what I learned each day. I did not get a final cure . . . I got tools to practice each day and the insight to accept that there is only that.

KW

Last year, about this time, I was struggling. I was going on three years of my anxiety really ramping up. I have suffered with anxiety my whole life, and I wrote another version of this article where I really told my story, but it just felt, well….OLD. I am tired of that story. It is not me anymore and I don’t want to write about it. However, that makes it kind of hard to share with others the impact of this past year and the healing I have done. So I will just say this. Throughout my life I have tried many different avenues to “feel better or fix myself:” Religion, confession, Bible study, sports, Hatha yoga, Ashthaga yoga, yin yoga, restorative yoga, Kundalini yoga, laughter yoga, mindfulness meditation, chanting meditation, tantric meditation, vippassana meditation, …A LOT of meditation,talk therapy, somatic therapy, physical therapy, crystal therapy, craniosacral therapy, myofacsial therapy, herbal healing, Reiki healing, chiropractice healing, acupuncture, elimintation diet, ayurvedic diet, paleo diet, sugar free and alcohol free diet, gluten free, meat free, dairy free….I mean, I am exhausted just by reading that list. I was hiding so much pain, insecurity, unresolved trauma and self-hatred behind these masks of “healing.” And so, I stopped. I stopped searching for a fix and made a commitment to learning how to love and accept myself exactly as I was. That was the hardest thing I have ever done, because to love yourself exactly as you are, you first have to first be 100% honest with yourself about where you were. And I did not like what I found. But I was at least being honest with myself for the first time that I did not like it rather than putting on a smile for the world. I still meditated, but it was softer and less disciplined. I began to eat and drink whatever I wanted. I got back on an anti-depressant for the first time since high school. I had not slept much in 3 years and found that the only thing that helped me was a little bit of cannabis at night, so I used that without guilt. In short, I just allowed myself to do what I needed and took down all of my perfectionist rules about how life should be. I shaved my head. I am still not sure of the deeper meaning there, but damn it felt so good. I grieved. I grieved that I had dedicated my life to spirituality and yet for the first time, had no idea how to talk to God. I could not even find Her. And I watched. I watched my thoughts and gave them soft hugs when they turned neurotic, rather than try to silence them with another meditation. I watched my mind and nervous system turn into a panic attack when my family was not getting along and realized with fascination that this is the exact same sensation I remember in my body as a child when anyone in my family was unhappy or angry. I watched as I realized I was replaying old trauma in my current life. I was watching as the six year old within me sabotaged my ability to truly connect with my husband because she did not feel safe or heard. I had taken away her voice and silenced her cries. So, here I was with a deepening compassion and growing awareness of what was happening within me, but absolutely no idea what to do about it. About that time, I began to read Tommy Rosen’s book, Recovery 2.0: Move Beyond Addiction and Upgrade Your Life, as I was teaching a yoga series on healing addiction. I grew up in a house full of addiction and co-dependency, but because I had never had a problem with substance abuse (and because I had never looked at myself in complete honesty), I never thought the concepts applied to me. Until I did. Tommy talks a lot about the “addiction frequency.” This vibration can manifest in different ways – substance abuse, codependent relationships, abusive relationships, technology addiction, shopping addiction, eating disorders, sex addiction, keeping busy addictions, and yes, self help or religion addiction. I can feel myself when I drop into this vibration. I get a one-track mind about something and obsess over it. I need it to feel better, to keep me distracted, give me that little rush of pleasure, or maybe just to feel safe. Usually after there is a subtle (or overwhelming) feeling of shame or guilt. I get a little sneaky. And buzzy. And nervous. I felt so relieved because I had a deep knowing within that these patterns within me were a learned response to trauma in my early environment and I believed deeply in the brain and cellular make-up of my body’s ability to re-program. I just needed someone to show me how. I began to research rehab centers and mental health centers. But nothing resonated with me at first. I knew it was time to dedicate intensive time to my well-being, but rehab centers were all focused on substance abuse and AA and the mental health centers were not right either. They were all missing two core components for me – Spirit and empowerment. I also felt insecure about going away for this help. Most people do not do such a thing until they hit rock bottom. But I did not want to hit rock bottom. Rock bottom sucks. I wanted to fly and I was ready to take a big leap. And then I found the Clearing. It is a center in Friday Harbor, Washington that focuses on healing the underlying issues of addiction and mental imbalance with a basis in Spiritual Psychology. It was synchronistic because I was reading Tommy Rosen’s book and he mentioned Spiritual Psychology as one of the most helpful modalities in his own healing process. I was intrigued. But it was expensive. Really expensive. And I found it hard to justify the cost when I was not needing some kind of emergency intervention. But about that time, my mother presented to me with some savings bonds that my grandmother had left me that were almost exactly the same amount that the program would cost. It felt like a message from my grandmother telling me, “Go, dear, and start a new family legacy of wholeness, compassion, and acceptance. You have my blessing.” I accepted and made a major investment in my wellness and in the wellness of my family and community. It was maybe the most important “yes” of my life. I went to the Clearing this past September and I can truly say that my brain is different now. My nervous system is different. I was absolutely correct that I was playing out old trauma in my current life, and the amazing counselors at the Clearing showed me how to do powerful processes that allowed me to re-parent and bring into wholeness those traumatized aspects. We did not learn how to eradicate cravings, or anxiety, or depression, but we learned to see those as signals that an old upset was being awakened and we learned that by healing those old wounds, the cravings and anxiety began to lose power and eventually dissipate. We learned how to lead intention, joy filled lives. We learned how to forgive ourselves and stop blaming others. And again, by learn, I don’t mean we were given conceptual ideas, but we learned actual practices to create huge shifts in our perception of life. Do I still have anxiety – yes, but it no longer controls me, defines me or debilitates me. I know now that I have the tools to handle whatever arises. Do I still drop into the addiction/codependency vibration – yes, but not as often and it no longer has such power over me. And I no longer abuse myself when I do. It is ok. I am ok. I have created a powerful space between an event and my reaction to it. It is in that space that miracles happen. This work has changed my life. I am a better teacher, wife, mother and a better me. The true me. I am excited to share everything I have learned with others when they are ready. I am offering a women’s retreat to do just that. We don’t need to hit rock bottom, or have a substance addiction, or a mental breakdown before we give ourselves permission to find the help we need. It is time for us all to love ourselves enough to make an investment in ourselves now. And I am forever thankful that I did. If you are considering the Clearing, I encourage you to make the leap. There are some beautiful people there who will catch you…and then teach you how to fly.

SS

If you are thinking, "I've already been to a treatment center, what makes this different", or "It will never work, my problems are different and I'll never be 'fixed'", I can tell you to stop thinking and apply. I am 52 years old, and for the first time in my life after graduating from The Clearing here is what I can share: 1. I love myself unconditionally and wake up every morning grateful and thankful for the person they helped me become 2. I have been sober for 2 days before I checked in, and for over 3 months since I've left and not even considered taking a drink because I don't need to feel numb anymore - I can sit happily with myself, my feelings, my life - and I feel SOOOOO much better in the morning than I have in 15 years 3. It was expensive, no doubt, but it was THE BEST money I have ever spent on myself and what I learned and gained will last a lifetime 4. What I learned and gained is helping my family, my friends, my community because I am a better person every day 5. If I could have found this before I raised my son, OMG, what a difference it would have made but now I can teach him and my grandkids how to be a loving, content, graceful, happy, loving being You will leave with an Affirmation that you will say 100 times a day, and soon you become everything in it, a different person, here is mine: I am enough! A naturally sober, confident, courageous and authentic women, full of conscious gratitude, grace and ease. I live in the abundance that fulfills my needs and desires. I love myself unconditionally, living in peace, joy and oneness with being. If you want any of that, and more, call now before you change your mind, get yourself there, and start a new life from Day 1.

Davis

Everyone's journey is different, as every human being is unique. But I did share one thing in common with millions of people, I was an addict. I abused alcohol to cope with demons I never new existed. The substance didn't matter as it was the result I was looking for....numbness. I fought this for 49 years and hit several low points until I was about to lose my family and knew I had to do something beyond the occasional AA meeting or 3 months of white knuckling not drinking. I searched for weeks looking for the right fit. AA had not resonated with me for whatever reason. I interviewed several inpatient programs from AZ to CA to OR...nothing seemed genuine to me. I stumbled across The Clearing from a friend and from the moment I spoke with the staff I knew this was the place for me. I took my last drink on December 3rd, 2017 and graduated from The Clearing on February 7th, 2018 and have no more purpose or energy for Alcohol or any other substance. The Clearing literally gave me my life back, restored my family and changed me to live the life I always wanted but didn't know how to achieve. Dual Diagnosis was a key factor in my healing. I always focused on the Drug and not the fact that depression could also be a factor. The true genuineness of the counselors and staff was only the beginning of the healing. They gave me the road map and encouraged my on my journey to do the work.....once I changed, people around me changed. I'm living proof that the program works, my family is living proof that it works, my community can tell you that I'm living proof that the program works. Open up, do the work and free yourself. I did the work, but I owe select staff a lifetime of gratitude for guiding me. I use the tools everyday and look back fondly to the caring environment that helped me get there. The family portion at the end of the program was icing on the cake. My wife and children were able to witness the tools that we would take with us and realize that my journey wasn't complete but just beginning. The difference being that now I was healthy to be with them, love myself and love us as a family. The Clearing was truly that....Clearing, Clearing the Mind and Cleaning the Soul. I'm Blessed.

Katie

The culture at The Clearing is nonjudgemental, filled with support and love. They provide the tools for an addiction free life if you are willing to do the work which is sometimes very hard and sometimes very fun. I highly recommend this life changing facility to everyone who is in need. Go in with an open mind and come out clean with an open heart.

Rod

My brother is in his mid-50's, and has been a heavy drinker for about 35 years. I believe he found The Clearing through the hand of God, and spent 6 weeks there in 2017 working with the staff at The Clearing. Their love and guidance and non-judgmental approach gave Tom the impetus to break the cycle. He is sober for 24 months and happier than I have seen him in his entire life. I've met the staff at the Clearing, and they are truly special people that are guided by their hearts to help their patients heal. The setting is breath taking and the food and accommodations are wonderful. I can not over emphasize how much I respect the work that the folks at the The Clearing do, and the transformational change that they helped by brother achieve!!!

Sara

Almost a year out from completing the program and I remain grateful daily for the tools I learned to deal with my addiction and depression. It was hard work but done in a living and supportive environment. The staff continues to follow up and make themselves available. I felt they truly cared about me as an individual during and after. I looked at many programs and am so grateful I found The Clearing. The food and accommodations were amazing. I especially loved the animals on the property!

Chris

I recently took a friend to The Clearing, and returned to attend the family program. I've also personally checked into rehab more than 30 times... All over the world. It's this simple: The Clearing is a special place that doesn't deal with symptoms (addiction).. Rather, they address the real problem .. The underlying core issues. And the fact is... It's confronting, and not everyone is in a place to really dive into the problem. Every single staff member I met there was genuine and informed. They just get it. I was absolutely floored by their spot on approach and commitment to getting to the source. I just can't say enough about The Clearing.

FCP

The experience at the Clearing was the most traumatic I have ever encountered. Advertising as a dual-diagnosis facility is shameful.The owners and staff are ill-equipped to deal with anyone who asks thoughtful, intelligent questions. I do NOT recommend this program to someone who has a real addiction or mental health issue. If you are looking for a place to solely work on your spiritual development, this program may be a good fit. The location is beautiful, and the food is good.

Our location is stunning, and our food is amazing, but that’s not why you’ll want you to consider The Clearing! Our impressive success rate and successful graduates tell our story. Hundreds of graduates and the over one thousand family members who attended the Family Weekend stand willing to share their experience that astonishing recovery is possible through The Clearing Program. With a success rate in excess of 80%, (defined as people living free of the addiction or limiting behavior that brought them here) we’re proud to have brought this transformational modality to those experiencing dual-diagnosis and mental health issues. We encourage each of you to tenaciously research our program; we invite your questions and will answer with verifiable integrity and transparency. We are happy to discuss our credentials, training, experience and expertise, call at your convenience and speak personally with a founder. We invite you to thoroughly review our website to help you evaluate this very important decision and learn how The Clearing is different.

Ryan

Helpful, but not the same as time with a therapist there are no therapists on staff- the psychiatrist on the website link is met on the first day and leaves. My colleague was confused by bitterness, as was our entire group. It is a wonderful program and location with former participants acting as therapists. Spiritual psychology.

Judy

The Clearing claims that it is a dual diagnosis rehab program. I am writing this review based on my visiting and attending a family training in support of a friend who attended. My friend had no substance abuse issues and was there to deal with chronic depression and anxiety. In meeting the therapists there and being introduced to their methodology I found that the therapeutic approach was limited and did not waiver according to who their client was. If you connect with the program that's great. The therapists are only versed in the therapy approach they present and have no deep knowledge and training in alternative approaches. I strongly would not recommend this program. It's in a beautiful setting and the food was delicious and plentiful. The therapists are limited in knowledge to the specific program they offer. They are unable to tap into other resources when their approach is not effective for the client.

Hi Judy, Thank you for attending the Family Workshop offered each session to educate and support the families and friends of our graduates. We remember your friend well, enjoyed working together and acknowledge a kind, compassionate and earnest person doing their best. Your friend worked hard at bringing new perspectives and ways of being into reality. In our view they took tremendous strides in seeing worthiness and deep inner beauty through humility, authenticity, willingness to explore new concepts and a deep connection with nature as a passionate touchstone. Your friend’s depression and anxiety were unquestionably genuine and efforts here, as with all Participants, were honest and forthcoming, the best possible at the time; utterly all we ever could or would ask or expect of others or ourselves. All of us here wish each of you the best going forward, invite and welcome your friend to join The Clearing AfterCare at anytime and are hopeful the strides made in self-forgiveness and acceptance bear fruit as life continues to unfold.

Claire

Throughout my life, I believed depression and anxiety were inherent and immovable forces. I had operated from a space of self-loathing, anger, and overwhelm since childhood and I was skeptical that there was a productive, healthy life in my future. Isn�t it na�ve to assume that life can be joyful? Where do people get off having inner peace? My accomplishments and accolades felt empty and only in over-working, over-exercising, food restriction, and self-harm behavior did I feel some semblance of control in the chaos. Of course, control was fleeting and damaging on all levels of my being, but even a temporary fix seemed necessary to continue the uphill battle. On many occasions, the bleak future of discontent and fear led me to feel that dying would be a gentle kindness. When I made the decision to dedicate 28 days of my life to concentrated healing, I was expecting some coping tools for how to handle my depression. I owned the idea that I was beyond help, a victim of the culmination of my life�s events and culpable for every failure or mistake, defined by my ability to �do�, frustrated with my inability to �get over it and carry on�. I viewed psychology as a soft science of speculation and readied myself to be inundated with dogma and fluffy breathing techniques to handle my panic. Never once did I expect to find my heart�s center, to learn to love myself for who I am at the core of my being, to release my attachment to external control, and to release the hurts I held inside that made me defensive, fearful, and withdrawn. I didn�t expect to find my purpose, to feel confident in leaning into my passions, or to thrive in a world in which I save and honor myself and care for my life�s journey with tenderness, compassion, loving, and grace. The environment at The Clearing is bright, warm, and loving. Every accommodation is made to allow each participant to fully focus on their internal journey. Meals are divine, the cookie jar mysteriously refills itself, the coffee pot bubbles all day, and the beds are piled with blankets. I was never a patient, but rather, a family member treated with love and respect. I was surrounded by like minds- people who actually wanted to be there. The staff is authentic, humorous, kind, dedicated, and compassionate- giant hearts walking around on two legs and practicing these tools in their lives daily. I immediately felt safe and held in loving, which was instrumental in allowing years of emotional baggage to be explored and healed. Each lecture in the workshop was intuitive, but also informative and evidence-based. The experiential learning cemented the concepts into memory and the tools I learned empowered me to rescue myself from my fears, insecurities, pain, and traumas. While the idea of being personally responsible for my feelings felt a little intimidating at first, it turned out to be exactly what I had been seeking- a form of internal power and emotional security. All of a sudden, I was in control of my joy and it was boundless and overflowing. Six months after the completion of the program, I realized I had not experienced a single day of immovable depression. I had not experienced a single panic attack. I used my tools frequently (and still do), rebuilt damaged relationships in my life, removed myself from that which did not serve me, and finally learned to share my voice with confidence. This is what a healthy life felt like. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for my experience. I consider The Clearing staff my family, always and forever. And what do they say when I express my gratitude? �You did this. You did this for you- we just gave you the tools. You�re the one that rescued yourself.� And I did. I am my own lady-knight in shining armor. And I will continue to live a life of peace, practicing awareness, dedicated to sharing a beautiful truth: Depression can be temporary. All beings are worthy of love. Even you. Supportive Staff Evidence Based Methods Life-Changing Awareness Safe Space. It can be difficult to wait to enter the next session, but it is so worth going to a place where there isn't a rotating door policy to distract from the actual curriculum.

Thomas

My experience at The Clearing was, in a word, transformational. Entering The Clearing I never believed that I truly experienced �trauma� in my life, based upon society�s definition of the word. However, I had experienced numerous challenges and events in my life which shaped the way I experienced and emotionally lived my life. With the unabashed love, empathy and support of the amazing staff at The Clearing I addressed these events in my life and transformed the way I held these past events in my heart and in my mind. The program at The Clearing is not easy, but it is also not about rote memorization, fear or blaming. One of the many things I learned at The Clearing is �what is mine to feel is mine to heal.� People don�t make me feel a certain way; it is how I receive, hold and believe in the issue that matters. Using the tools of Spiritual Psychology, I learned, understood and embraced at The Clearing, I set upon a path of healing and enlightenment. One of the principles of Spiritual Psychology is �Spirit meets us at the point of action.� I came to The Clearing with a spiritual belief that was somewhere between atheism and agnosticism. A year after my transformational experience at The Clearing I have an ever deepening relationship with my higher power, Spirit, that is very personal. I certainly do not proclaim to have it all figured out, and I embrace that everyone has a very unique and personal relationship with a higher power whether it is God, the universe or simply nature. What I do understand, believe and feel in my life every day is that when I choose to move my life in a positive direction, Spirit or God or the universe is there with me. There is energy, love and support in this journey. Twenty-eight days after starting my journey at The Clearing I left the facility with a new lease on life; a feeling that I was intelligent, compassionate and filled with self-love and appreciation; my life�s journey was not fatalistic. I was and I remain wildly optimistic about by unfolding life�s purpose. I live and practice the tools I learned at The Clearing every day of my life; these tools and ways of being are my life. I am living my life each day with self-love, optimism, joy and purpose. A funny thing happened along the way; I don�t drink anymore. We rarely talked about our �substance� of choice at The Clearing; instead, we talked about our lives and what was standing in the way of what we wanted to manifest in our lives. As Joe says: �It�s not about the substance.� When I healed the underlying core issues in my life, alcohol lost all of the energy that it held in my life. I have no desire to drink but I am also not afraid, addicted or subordinate to this substance. I am simply at peace without needing the coping mechanism that I used in my life to address the emotional issues. I now heal these emotional issues as they present themselves in my life using the tools I learned at The Clearing. Healing! and not focusing on coping mechanisms or rote techniques for avoidance. Learning tools for life and freedom. None that I can truly think of. Participants must be authentic, willing to learn and open to change. People comment on the cost but: 1) it is not inexpensive to run a facility with a cohort style treatment modality; and 2) what is your life worth? For me it was worth the money and I would have paid more if I knew what the outcome would be.

M. L.

Residential Treatment at The Clearing is truly extraordinary. The skills they teach allow participants to focus on their individual issues and resolve them so that they're no longer a trigger, uncovering one's balanced, authentic self, often for the first time in a very long time. Substance abuse is not the issue, not a disease, it's just a way to cope with life when we don't know what else to do. I learned that any upset is caused by unresolved issues and that I can heal them quickly and have my happy life back. For me it was a subtle change in perspective, almost imperceptible, and yet it was HUGE, it changed everything. I think many of us get to adulthood and begin to believe that we know how the world works, we know what everything means and why things are the way they are. But if you can allow yourself the chance to see things differently and embrace these tools and practices, you will come to know and understand that there is a world right here that loves you exactly as you are, you just didn't see it. The Clearing program is exceptional, counselors are excellent, and they also serve incredible food. These people are doing it right.

Terrea

The Program at The Clearing went far beyond my expectations of expansion of self-awareness and healing core issues. As a trained counselor and body worker, I was grateful to discover that I can personally go deeper and wider along my healing path. I appreciated how holistic the program is, offering a wide variety of classes interspersed with free time in which I could wander the grounds outside or engage with classmates or be contemplative. The tools and skills I was taught are powerful and will be with me for the rest of my life. Saying intentions and my affirmation before giving a presentation has made a huge difference in my anxiety level and regularly contradicts my inner critic. The staff was totally accessible and supportive, kind, fun and wise. They are what I refer to as 'earth angels.' Of course, it helps that this facility is in a stunningly beautiful, pastoral setting, with moderate temperatures and lots of trees. I've been able to share much about what I learned at the Clearing with my family and friends and they in turn have experienced changes in perspective. I recommend The Clearing wholeheartedly to anyone wishing to heal their life.

Erin

While doing my own research for rehab facilities I knew I wanted to go to a facility that was an alternative to the 12 step program because that had never reigned with me. The Clearing changed my life for the better in every area of my life. I have learned how to love myself, forgive myself and forgive others, something I never thought was possible before The Clearing. Everything about The Clearing is a beautiful experience and every employee truly care about your well being. The hardest part about having this experience is that I miss everyone from The Clearing, the employees and participants from my session. A few of us grads from other sessions have started to get together for aftercare activities recently and It has just made their aftercare program at The Clearing even stronger by being able to connect us all. I encourage anyone who wants to alter their life for the better to attend The Clearing, you don't have to have a substance abuse problem to benefit from this program, any addiction to something outside of you is an unhealthy attachment and The Clearing teaches you that happiness comes from within and they give you the tools to handle the ups and downs of life after you graduate from this beautiful, life altering emotional health facility. It's the perfect place to start your spiritual journey if you are seeking more fulfillment in your life. Everyone is treated equally and showered with love at this facility making it an amazing environment to heal from even the most traumatic life experiences. Treats everyone with loving kindness, respect, with equality and shows no judgement towards anyone. Does not have a pool, which can be extremely therapeutic for people and can be necessary for people with disabilities.

Caleb

Amazing Place! I was a bit apprehensive because of my Christian background. I didn�t want a place that contradicted my personal beliefs but I was open to hear what they had to say. Obviously my way of life had gotten me there. Everything that was taught was clearly given from God. Although there are no bible verses that accompany any of the teaching, it was still God�s truth. A focus on personal responsibility was refreshing, I knew I didn�t have a disease and a place that is centered in that truth was a blessing. So thankful to have had an opportunity to heal at the deepest level possible and to deal with issues that were contributing to my substance abuse. The most loving people on the planet. Very accepting. Food was so good I gained 10 pounds. I want to go back! How many people can say that about a rehab facility? I�m still sober and continuing to use the tools that I learned there everyday. I think everyone should go through this program whether you have a �problem� or not. You will get a masters degree education in 30 days and be the best version of you that you have ever been! I miss this place weekly! It�s hard to. Everything was amazing. Maybe just the books we read for book club. They didn�t really add to the experience.

Chris

During the week prior to my arrival at The Clearing, I was, to say the least, full of anxiety. I know I am not alone here. The angst was normal, but very quickly, like within 15 minutes after arrival, it was laid to rest. I mean totally. For me, it was due to the pleasantness of the facility. Joe Koelzer was the first person I encountered, as I parked my car. What a kind man. Compared to an experience I had with a rehab facility a few years prior, it was well un-natural. I mean there is nothing INSTITUTIONAL about the place. Llamas, sheep, goats, a horse, an incredible dog, ducks, geese of course, it's a farm. But almost immediately, I knew this was going to be a truly genuine growth experience I had been wanting. My time at The Clearing was exceptional. It did change my life. The manner in which they introduced me to the concept of Spiritual Psychology compelled me to want to take it all in. I mean, here I am, in a most pastoral setting in the company of only 7 other participants, a staff that is over the top friendly and caring and informative. This is how it is supposed to be. I knew, without a doubt at the end of the first week, I was headed for healing and yes, a new way of looking at the world, looking at myself, and looking forward to my future. As far as I am concerned, the folks (Staff) at The Clearing, are top notch people who exhibit the highest order of care and understanding, I have ever experienced. They earned my trust and respect. If an Oscar were to be awarded in this line of work, they would get it, one and all. I cannot in good conscience, single out any one or two or three people there. They are all simply Top Notch folks. One of the things I really must say at this point, is how durable the learning and tools are. I use some aspect of what I took away from The Clearing, everyday!!! Another way to look at it, is like this; the 28 days provided me with a launch pad for the rest of my life. I have taken off and as I rocket toward my destiny, I do so with confidence, love, balance, self-respect you name it. They helped me get my mind right.۝ What I mean to say is that I have always been the kind of person who frustrates easily because the world around me will not behave as I expect. A form of Cognitive Dissonance. What I have become now, as a result of my learning and applying what I have learned at The Clearing is this. I have chosen to align myself with my soul. I have one. I have chosen to become loving and compassionate, and, Karmically aware. Because of this choice, a new and stronger Clarity is now available to me, as never before. Dissonance has diminished. But I have opined enough here. But hey, when you have a great experience, you want to share it right? Oh, and let's not forget the food. What a trip that is. Wow. Remember what I said about INSTITUTION. The food there tastes as if it was catered in from El Gaucho's in Seattle every day. And the cookies, the brownies, the treats, the coffee. The tea!!! It's nuts. Yes those too. AWESOME FOOD. Oh, and then there is my own room, shower, toilet and private time to study, to think, to walk, and walk, and pet the critters that abound. Dude, if you are considering making the commitment to spend a little time at The Clearing, you will never have a better opportunity to get your mind right.۝ Do it All my love. I love you guys and gals.

Jennifer

The staff was attentive to every need and concern for the duration of my stay, not to mention the resources available once I completed my stay at The Clearing. My stay at the farm gave me the resources to save my own life. I had my needs met at The Clearing. The staff is genuine! What you see is what you get! If you are willing to do the work and stick through the tough times with the help of the staff, I recommend investing into your future! I was ready to save my life and at The Clearing I was shown how to do just that. The structure and guidance helped me feel safe enough to get to my core issues and do the work necessary to get where I am today. I have to mention the fresh cookies and the abundance of amazing food made daily!

John

I went to the Clearing after both doing a 12 step program and an aversion therapy program. Both, ultimately did not work for me.The Clearing takes a uniquely different approach and tries to build you up rather than tear you down. Part of the staff is fantastic and genuinely care about you. At the others, it seemed like the most important thing to them was if your insurance covered you and your check would clear. I was there for alcohol and it hasn't been perfect since I left there 18 months ago. I have had some slips but I have not fallen back into the hole I was in before. I have kept all my material from the Clearing and try to use all the tools that they gave me. So far, it is working and my life is significantly better than when I checked in. The site is beautiful, the food is outstanding, and as I already mentioned, the staff is remarkable. I absolutely recommend the Clearing to you.

Katy

The program at The Clearing, literally gave me my life back! It is such a difficult decision to begin the process of deciding on Rehab. It was scary! I spoke to one of the male staff members almost daily for the 2 weeks prior to deciding to go to the Clearing. I knew that I needed a safe place to fall apart from what alcohol and depression had done to me. This is exactly what I got at the Clearing. I felt safe and cared about! They don't treat you like there is something wrong with you. It is more focused on finding out who you are! Healing underlying issues that keep coming up in your life. AND creating a life that you love! I absolutely LOVE the staff at the Clearing. I think of them as family! Could not recommend this Rehab location enough. They changed my life! It has been 2 1/2 years and I still use the the skills that I learned at the Clearing!

Richard

Substance abuse (alcohol) wasn't my biggest reason for going to The Clearing; it was my chronic, life-long depression. I was simply weary of the inherent struggle in leading two lives, one life of the perennial over-achiever, the other of the depressed, frightened introvert. Hiding the life of the second from the world of the first had finally exhausted me. And my long-running personal therapy sessions and anti-depressant meds had reached an unsatisfactory plateau. Speaking with two staff members at The Clearing convinced me the program was right for me, because I cried deeply after each of those interview phone calls due to their caring, honest natures and the pinpoint accuracy of their questions and explanations. I felt hope for the first time in years - hope to truly unravel, at an emotional level, the core issues behind my depression and related self-destructive behaviors. And unravel some issues we did! Good fortune put me into a session with some truly remarkable fellow-participants; creative, intelligent, compassionate, and brutally honest with themselves. The mutual trust and accountability we developed positively blows me away as I think about it now. I came into The Clearing a very guarded person, but I teared up, cried, bawled and uncorked painful memories with this group of "strangers". It was a wonderful release to be fully honest with my buried feelings. From my first email to our graduation evening, The Clearing staff treated me with respect, compassion and understanding. Humor permeated everyone’s attitude, but never overshadowed the seriousness of my reason for being there. The accommodations were excellent, and the food superb. I never felt like an inmate, or a damaged person, nor did I feel condescension raining down on me. I was treated as a man who wanted to heal. There were two men that were our workshop leaders, and they are fabulous teachers, as well as incisive listeners, with years of experience in this recovery philosophy to offer participants. There is no preaching here, only deep emotional learning. During the month at the Farm I worked on many of my core issues – maybe even healed one or two - and the tools I brought home help me to continue peeling layers from my inner self. I’m learning to love and take care of myself – a true gift from my days at The Clearing.

Becky

The Clearing not only gave me my life back, but the new version is healed, free from the baggage that I struggled with. I highly recommend this facility to everyone who struggles with addiction!

Chip

The Clearing saved my life. Having tried everything for years and at the end of my rope with thoughts of suicide i, with the help of my family embarked on a national search for a different type of depression relief program. Not a business model approach like so many others we called but an approach with extraordinarily caring people and real healing tools. From our many calls of exploration at the outset of our search to the very end of the program The Clearing and its staff continually showed their deep, personal commitment to providing a unique and trans formative personal program above all others. in addition to this genuine foundation The Clearing separates itself from all the others with its small group format of no more than 10 participants for the entire month, private bedrooms and bathrooms, 6 days a week of structured emotional and cognitive work based on science as well as evidence based psychology work. It's 'after-care' program once you've left the farm is incredibly generous and nurturing ans sustaining. Oh and the food is awesome too! The Clearing reveals a variety of methods, modes and tools which comprehensively come together to re-frame the way you think, the way you view yourself and view the world. Every child should be taught this curriculum in school. And it should be noted it is not religious. It does not infringe on your personal beliefs, nor does it concentrate on your "issue." It gets to the core emotional events, the root causes which have led you there. If you are struggling with addiction and or depression and anxiety as i was. You no longer have to live with it. The Clearing will change your life--and your family's.

Chris

If I had gone through the usual mindless "12 step" rehab at some other location, I would not be any better off today. Because of 'The Clearing'... I am better off today. They made the difference. The methods they use, the warmth and love they give, the environment they provide is way above and beyond anything to be found anywhere else. I am a fan.

Caroline

If you're looking for a rehab that delivers on their promises, call The Clearing. The program is amazing, addressing core issues on all levels to facilitate real healing. That said, be prepared to get to work - the 28-day program is basically the equivalent of a two-year Master's in counseling. In workshops and therapy sessions, you go deep into all those issues you've been avoiding for years. But don't worry, all of this is done in an incredibly welcoming and supportive environment. The farm location itself is beautiful, but the people are what make this place so special. Every staff member I encountered truly cared and went above and beyond for us. They paid attention to the details and took great care of us. I loved my group and felt so fortunate to work alongside the other participants. (Also, it's worth mentioning that the guest house was nice and cozy and the food was delicious.) It was the experience of a lifetime. I highly recommend The Clearing!

Christina

I received treatment for clinical depression and alcohol abuse at The Clearing in 2016. A 28-day inpatient program, The Clearing's program was, for me, completely transformative. As this program is not a 12 Step program but, rather, one that utilizes the tools and principles of Spiritual Psychology, I was able to learn how to accept and heal the underlying issues of the depression and anxiety that led me to drink as a way of numbing my pain. The Clearing's program is certainly an intensive one but I found myself completely supported and unconditionally loved by the entire staff ... and all of the wonderful farm animals. This is a program that will allow you to reclaim your own power. This is a program that will teach you how to truly love yourself and, by extension, realize the true beauty of your life. At The Clearing, you will receive all of the tools that you will ever need to live the life that you imagine for yourself. You will have to wade through all of that muck that you've tamped down for so long to get there but once you do, you will be truly free. You will be empowered. You will be healthy. This is not a clinical program--no white walls, no bed-checks, no chores. You will be treated as an individual and, though you will be held responsible for your actions, you will be trusted as a member of The Clearing community during treatment. Also? Karaoke. And bonfires. And s'mores. Hiking and nature walks. Tai Chi. Field trip! I whole-heartedly recommend the program at The Clearing to anyone who struggles with depression, substance abuse, compulsive disorders, any kind of mental or emotional disturbance, and/or anyone simply looking to learn how to truly live their life to the fullest.

John

This facility is located in a uniquely beautiful and peaceful place. That and the 'spiritual psychology' based treatment program is deeply effective and sustaining.