The Discovery House in Reseda, CA

7133A Darby Ave
Reseda CA 91335

The Discovery House Philosophy

The Discovery House provides exceptionally compassionate care while treating the whole individual – mind, body and spirit. The Discovery house was awarded a Joint Commission accreditation – the highest accreditation a treatment home can attain – for its commitment to a high treatment standard and personalized care. The Discovery House is dedicated to saving and restoring lives and provides a continuum of care that includes sub acute detoxification, residential treatment as well as outpatient treatment. Counselors are committed to addressing the underlying causes of addiction and create treatment plans that identify individual needs, choices and concerns. The Discovery House’s client to counselor ratio of 3:1 allows its counselors to deliver the highest level of care while maintaining the dignity and respect that every individual deserves. The Discovery House offers traditional therapies, as well as an array of expressive arts and experiential activities such as music therapy, yoga, psychodrama and mindfulness groups that help individuals address and work through their core issues.

• Nutritional Therapy
    At Discovery House, health and nutrition are emphasized as cornerstones in a safe and lasting recovery. In-house nutritionists work with clients to develop healthy eating habits and learn positive ways to cope with stress.

Clients receive world-class residential substance abuse treatment in a homelike setting designed for maximum comfort. Clients receive individualized attention and care as facilitated by the exceptionally high 3-to-1 counselor to client ratio.

Neurofeedback Therapy

Individual Therapy

Psychodrama Therapy

David Dequa, MA, CSC, RAS-MCA

Program Director

David brings years of experience working with individuals and families struggling with complex psychological and behavioral healthcare difficulties with an emphasis on addiction. In addition to providing family programming, Mr. DeQua provides training for all staff at The Discovery House to ensure services are delivered in a professional manner for each client and, he trains other treatment professionals to deepen their understanding and skills. He demonstrates an ongoing passion for the field of Addiction having taught and lectures about family disorders and treatment in Southern California.

Tom Whiting

Co- Founder & Executive Director

Tom Whiting has been involved in the addiction recovery field for over 25 years. From working on his own recovery to owning a sober living home and being the chair of the San Fernando Valley Sober Living Coalition; Tom has been relentless in his pursuit to improve the lives of those struggling from the disease of drug and alcohol addiction. Due to his successful career in home construction and his keen insight into the shortcomings of other treatment programs, Tom has been able to build The Discovery House from the ground up to meet all the needs of addiction treatment. As Executive Director, he works tirelessly to ensure that The Discovery House maintains the highest level of care at a price people can afford.

ABOUT THE DISCOVERY HOUSE

Located in a quiet commercial neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley, northwest of Los Angeles, The Discovery House is a comfortable, relatively upscale facility offering detox, residential treatment, and outpatient services for adult men and women struggling with addiction and co-occurring disorders.

The most intensive level of care offered at this facility is subacute detox, followed by inpatient rehab, followed by residential rehab.

The minimum stay for residential treatment is 30 days. The core elements of treatment are the 12-Steps, a nutrition program, and a family program that consists of family therapy, multi-family education groups, support groups for families, and small consultations between clients and individual family members. Aside from family therapy, treatment is offered in individual and group settings, and includes evidence-based methodologies such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). The center can accommodate co-occurring mental health disorders including secondary eating issues, depression, anxiety, grief/loss, trauma, and personality disorders. The program is rounded out by holistic offerings such as yoga, music therapy, mindfulness,psychodrama, and neurofeedback.

The center also offers personalized outpatient care, at intensities ranging from weekly to daily care.

Each client leaves with a tailored aftercare plan plus access to monthly alumni meetings.

The center’s clinicians are primarily certified addiction counselors, one of them education to master’s level. The 10 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff’s level of training and experience gave it an average rating of 4.3 out of five stars.

Clients live in modern residences with shared bedrooms, patios, and lounges. An on-site chef cooks and serves meals in the sleek eat-in kitchens. The 10 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s cleanliness gave it an average rating of four out of five stars.

The five alumni polled on the facility’s offerings in a variety of treatment metrics gave The Discovery House ratings of 3.6 stars for its counseling options, 2.4 stars for exercise and leisure offerings, and three stars for family participation.

In their comments, the reviewers praised the staff, and characterized the center’s care as “exceptionally compassionate,” in the words of one anonymous reviewer. Isolated praise was awarded to the center’s group therapy and personalized treatment. “TDH doesn't make their clients fit into their programs, rather they actually mold their program to each client they have,” Elena wrote.

However, more than one reviewer expressed frustration with the lack of alternatives to 12-step programming: “Clients are only directed to the 12 Step-based, disease-model perspective of treatment. No other perspective is allowed for,” John wrote in a representative review. The facility responded to this criticism to say: “We utilize the 12-step program as a supplement to our trauma-informed approach, as it has proven successful for millions of addicts.”

Of the five reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, four were positive and one mixed. The five reviewers gave the center average ratings of 4.2 stars, four stars, and 3.6 stars respectively for its counseling options, family participation, and holistic offerings.

The reviewers’ praise tended to be quite general. “Great people, great place,” one anonymous reviewer wrote, and another added: “It really helped my brother and he has been doing great since he got out. Staff support and one-on-one time were strengths of the facility.”

The single loved one to offer any criticism alongside their praise, Andrea, cited dirty conditions, a lack of exercise and other extracurricular activities, and “not very nice counselors.”

The single staffer polled by Rehabs.com to date, H.H., gave negative feedback, criticizing the center’s director. “I heard multiple times from clients complaining about him and his behavior,” H.H. wrote, adding that the director’s behavior had led to high staff turnover; however, H.H. also wrote: “They give you the right tools to be better staff or counselor.”

According to its website, The Discovery House accepts most PPO insurances, including but not limited to Aetna, Cigna, Humana, and United, with the usual caveat that insurance companies will often not pay for the full cost of treatment. Private pay is also accepted. The 10 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s affordability gave it 3.9 out of five stars.

Published on November 2017

ABSOLUELY STAY AWAY FROM THIS HORRIBLE FACILITY. I was there a few weeks ago. After a couple of days, I had a problem which caused me to have to go to the hospital. It turned out it was simply a problem with my blood pressure being too low. They kept me a couple of days for observation only. I was released on Friday, January 5th. I was picked up, and taken back to the house that I was staying in (that the Discovery House was being paid for me to stay there). After about 20 minutes, I was told that I had to go speak to the Program Director. After sitting for almost an hour, the directors took me into an office, and told me that I was going to have to leave the facility. They gave me absolutely no reason whatsoever. After a little bit of a conversation, I asked if they could at least give me a day to make arrangements. They both told me that in no uncertain terms that I had to leave IMMEDIATELY. I made sure they understood that I was from Oklahoma, and had absolutely nowhere to go. Both of them told me (very rudely) that was not their problem, and that I was going to be taken back to the house and I was to load my things and leave immediately. A staff member then took me back to the house, and saw that another client had already started packing my things. (I had half my clothes in the washer, and had to pack them wet! This was the most horrible experience that I have ever gone through. As it turned out, the staff member took my suitcase and another bag that I had, and told me to call him the next day and he would bring them to me. As it turned out, I started having chest pains from all the drama, and went back to the hospital. Thank God the admitted me. The next day, after many many attempts, the staff member finally responded to me, and told me that if I wanted my things, I would have to send an Uber to pick them up. As it turned out, he was over 30 miles away, and it cost me $47 to get them. Every one of these employees knew what was going on, and not one of them stood up for me. I have already contacted an attorney, and fully intend on taking every legal action I can. On a side note, while I was in the hospital the first time, the director told every hospital staff member, (without my consent) that I was living in a Sober Living Home, and attending Intensive Outpatient for drugs and alcohol. THIS IS A CLEAR VIOLATION OF THE HIPPA LAWS. And believe me, they will answer for this as well. I later found out that they did the same thing to 8 other clients the following week. Please do not send anyone to The Discovery House, or the branch in Simi Valley, CA called Adjustment Family Services. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at robcocklin@gmail.com.

THIS WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. I was there for about a month, which was one of the longest months of my life. I am from Tennesse, so it's just not possible for me to just go home if things go wrong. I tried to stick it out, but I was sick of being lied to. After about two weeks, and never seeing a doctor as promised, I had to find my own. Along with that, they wouldn't even so much as help me with transportation to the doctor. And speaking of transportation, it was left up to all of us to find a ride from the house to the IOP Center daily, and to the required 4 AA meetings per week. They really act like they care when trying to get you there, but once you're there, their attitude changes dramatically. The people in charge are the absolute worst. Extremely condesending, and rude. Also after a couple of weeks, another client (a 19 year old girl from out of state) was told she had three days to leave. Then a couple of days later, another client, Rob Cocklin, was forced to leave immediately after returning from the hospital. (He gave me permission to use his name here) Then within a couple more days, several other clients were dismissed (KICKED OUT) with hardly any notice to prepare, and some with no notice at all. They just kicked them out on the streets. Some of these clients were on scholarships, so I guess this place just decided they could do what they want with them. It was very very sad. I was promised several things that they never delivered on. One specific thing was that they supply the house with some specific food that is for everyone. I have several food alergies, and they promised that they would help with supplying some foods that I can eat. Not one single time did they bring anything I could eat. I said something several times, and was told that they would take care of it, but never did.

My son Paul was recently release from Discovery House 1/20018. He has been to numerous rehab.. He had a fantastic councillor. No one has ever been able to help him with his issues but her. She us an incredible kind loving women. We had family therapy which was very rewarding. I would highly recommend this facility.

My husband was at this facility for 3 months about 2 years ago. He ended up meeting a woman there and ended up cheating on me. This place almost broke up my marriage. For women out there who has their husband in this facility or vice versa, I suggest that you question about the congregation of men and women there. I was trusting on this place to help my husband.

As I read the comments here, there are some I agree with, but Not the majority. While upper management may come off as " choosing favorites ". It is not my concern nor should it be yours. Look at the bigger picture...I did once I allowed the vulnerability and acceptance of my disease. I went to The Discovery House twice! My first go round sucked, I really was not ready... and staff, counselors sucked! But I put my faith in them and went back less then 2 years later. Staff had changed! Groups were so different... separating at times male and females.. I liked this as the sexes see and need to respond differently. The second time I was allowed time to just " Be"... weekends were about gathering as fellow addicts/alcoholics playing games, music and movies. We as addicts need structure... I actually enjoyed my chores every morning... my home was clean! My onsite therapist was phenomenal as was my psycho-drama. If anyone thinks any rehab is perfect, then keep searching. Life is Not perfect! It's what you Do and What You Want to put forth to let another help You save your life. I will forever be grateful to The Discovery House... and should I ever need help in recovery again... I have them on speed dial. Now that being said... there is one fault that frustrated me on my second try/stay. The Chef was no longer there... there was a chef, who cooked phenomenal meals. But they had started to cut costs I guess and meals became bland and cooked in advance then defrosted. Hmmmm not so good.

I am ex employee at TDH, this placed is great to learn on how to approached to clients, they give you the right tools to be better staff or counselor, and to have better knowledge about addiction this the right placed. But as management and the director a long with clinical are not that great, my experience working with other employees was very bad experience, they gossip too much and there not that great on helping others, there's lack communication among employees . But as the Director his not good person he attends to manipulate his employees and his very rude an disrespectful...I heard multiple times from clients complaining about him and his behavior. He has favoritism towards man then women, he fires his staff from left to right every week, he doesn't cared or even bothers to listen to you when you have problem. All his staff fear him! His not good director to the staff or clients. Just want to inform that the main owner knows about his behavior and nothing has been done. I wouldn't recommend this placed .

During my time at TDH, I was able to remember who I really am and not the person I was becoming. I felt as though the groups were effective and informative. 85% of the staff were just awesome, and it meant a lot to me that they took the time to get to know me. I have recommended TDH to a few people that are still struggling out there, because I believe that TDH does it's best to help everyone that comes through their doors, individually and also in a social setting. Though the parting of ways was not what I expected and the way, I felt, that it was handled is something that I've come to accept. That being said, I believe that TDH offers a new hope for addicts/alcoholics to live life the way we are meant to, not as the disease wants us to. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me.

TDH doesn't make their clients fit into their programs, rather they actually mold their program to each client they have. They personalize and tailor an addiction treatment program to the specific needs of a person, which proves they recognize and respect that everyone is different. Everyone is available to talk all the time and they seem to actually want to get to know their clients so they can get to the core of their addiction issue.

Great resources but Kinda far. It's great

great people, great place

Friendly and Safe but Boring. Awesome

Strengths: Affordable local easy to get into not a very long waiting list. Weaknesses: dirty not kept clean not very nice counselors too many rules no exercise or yoga program no activities I think that if the program got some extra activities for their patients to do the place would be ran a lot better they need some new counselors that haven't been there 20 years that are burnt out

Everything about the facility right from intake was dishonest and predatory on me and my family.

Strengths: The Discovery House provides exceptionally compassionate care while treating the whole individual – mind, body and spirit. Counselors are committed to addressing the underlying causes of addiction and create treatment plans that identify individual needs, choices and concerns. Weaknesses: clients are only directed to the 12 Step-based, disease-model perspective of treatment. I wish they had a bit more flexibility on what programs they offer. Otherwise highly satisfied with them. I believed this experience to be one of the most exciting for me. I learned many new ways to cope with stress along with addictive triggers. I am very happy with what I learned at this facility. I honestly would recommend this (to younger people) in need of rehab.

Great experience. They have one counselor for every 3 clients. A lot of one on one counseling. Semi - Private rooms. However, there is varying degrees of competency with counselors.

This program was awesome. They helped equip me with the tools and prinsiples I needed to continue my recovery. This program was awesome. They helped equip me with the tools and principles I needed to continue my recovery. The program was amazing!

Management is dysfunctional, and possess zero competence in administering counseling staff, or clients needing recovery from an addiction...clients are only directed to the 12 Step-based, disease-model perspective of treatment. No other perspective is allowed for.

Hello John, We appreciate your concerns. We design our evidenced based curriculum to meet the needs, choices and concerns of each resident. We provide a variety of treatment programs for substance abuse and co-occurring disorders, such as neurofeedback therapy, a family education program and other experiential therapies. We utilize the 12-step program as a supplement to our trauma-informed approach, as it has proven successful for millions of addicts. In addition, we maintain highly credentialed treatment teams to ensure our residents receive the highest level of care. Our staff treats each resident with dignity and respect as they meet them where they are and assist them in their journey to recovery.