The Discovery House in Reseda, CA

7133A Darby Ave
Reseda CA 91335

The Discovery House Philosophy

The Discovery House provides exceptionally compassionate care while treating the whole individual – mind, body and spirit. The Discovery house was awarded a Joint Commission accreditation – the highest accreditation a treatment home can attain – for its commitment to a high treatment standard and personalized care. The Discovery House is dedicated to saving and restoring lives and provides a continuum of care that includes sub acute detoxification, residential treatment as well as outpatient treatment. Counselors are committed to addressing the underlying causes of addiction and create treatment plans that identify individual needs, choices and concerns. The Discovery House’s client to counselor ratio of 3:1 allows its counselors to deliver the highest level of care while maintaining the dignity and respect that every individual deserves. The Discovery House offers traditional therapies, as well as an array of expressive arts and experiential activities such as music therapy, yoga, psychodrama and mindfulness groups that help individuals address and work through their core issues.

• Drug and Alcohol Detoxification
    Clients receive onsite withdrawal assistance services for a safe and effective detoxification. Licensed professionals provide medical supervision 24 hours a day to ensure clients receive a comfortable and secure stay.

• Outpatient Treatment
    Individuals who have completed a residential treatment program are encouraged to take advantage of outpatient treatment offerings for lasting recovery. Services provided include individual and group therapy, 12-Step services, life skills education, relapse prevention planning, aftercare, and more.

Yoga Therapy

Music Therapy

Mindfulness Therapy

Olivia Bernal, CADC-II

Clinical Director

Olivia has been working in the chemical dependency counseling field for almost a decade. “I pursued this career to help those individuals suffering from a seemingly hopeless affliction to a new way life. I continue to have passion for this field as I can see men and women grasp their own journey in recovery and begin to reunite with their families”

McKay Whiting

Co- Founder & Program Administrator

McKay Whiting oversees the Admissions and Intake Department, processing all admission calls and providing necessary information pertaining to services, program and treatment. McKay brings years of experience both personal and professional working in addiction and recovery. She has tremendous passion and enthusiasm for facilitating clients and their families in making the life-altering changes necessary to begin the process of recovery. Often times the first point of contact at The Discovery House, McKay is highly skilled at immediate crisis intervention and always brings compassion and understanding to individuals and family members.

ABOUT THE DISCOVERY HOUSE

Located in a quiet commercial neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley, northwest of Los Angeles, The Discovery House is a comfortable, relatively upscale facility offering detox, residential treatment, and outpatient services for adult men and women struggling with addiction and co-occurring disorders.

The most intensive level of care offered at this facility is subacute detox, followed by inpatient rehab, followed by residential rehab.

The minimum stay for residential treatment is 30 days. The core elements of treatment are the 12-Steps, a nutrition program, and a family program that consists of family therapy, multi-family education groups, support groups for families, and small consultations between clients and individual family members. Aside from family therapy, treatment is offered in individual and group settings, and includes evidence-based methodologies such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). The center can accommodate co-occurring mental health disorders including secondary eating issues, depression, anxiety, grief/loss, trauma, and personality disorders. The program is rounded out by holistic offerings such as yoga, music therapy, mindfulness, psychodrama, and neurofeedback.

The center also offers personalized outpatient care, at intensities ranging from weekly to daily care.

Each client leaves with a tailored aftercare plan plus access to monthly alumni meetings.

The center’s clinicians are primarily certified addiction counselors, one of them education to master’s level. The 10 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff’s level of training and experience gave it an average rating of 4.3 out of five stars.

Clients live in modern residences with shared bedrooms, patios, and lounges. An on-site chef cooks and serves meals in the sleek eat-in kitchens. The 10 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s cleanliness gave it an average rating of four out of five stars.

Of the six alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, four were positive and two negative. The five alumni polled on the facility’s offerings in a variety of treatment metrics gave The Discovery House average ratings of 3.6 stars, 3.4 stars, and three out of five stars respectively for its counseling options, exercise and leisure offerings, and family participation.

In their comments, the reviewers repeatedly praised the staff, and characterized the center’s care as “exceptionally compassionate,” in the words of one anonymous reviewer. Isolated praise was awarded to the center’s group therapy and personalized treatment. “TDH doesn't make their clients fit into their programs, rather they actually mold their program to each client they have,” Elena wrote.

More than one reviewer expressed frustration with the lack of alternatives to 12-step programming: “Clients are only directed to the 12 Step-based, disease-model perspective of treatment. No other perspective is allowed for,” John wrote in a representative review. The facility responded to this criticism to say: “We utilize the 12-step program as a supplement to our trauma-informed approach, as it has proven successful for millions of addicts.”

In isolated criticisms, one reviewer described the center as boring, John (quoted above) described management as dysfunctional, and Todd wrote: “Everything about the facility right from intake was dishonest and predatory on me and my family.”

Of the five reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, four were positive and one mixed. The five reviewers gave the center average ratings of 4.2 stars, four stars, and 3.6 stars respectively for its counseling options, family participation, and holistic offerings.

The reviewers’ praise tended to be quite general. “Great people, great place,” one anonymous reviewer wrote, and another added: “It really helped my brother and he has been doing great since he got out. Staff support and one-on-one time were strengths of the facility.”

The single loved one to offer any criticism alongside their praise, Andrea, cited dirty conditions, a lack of exercise and other extracurricular activities, and “not very nice counselors.”

The single staffer polled by Rehabs.com to date, H.H., gave negative feedback, criticizing the center’s director. “I heard multiple times from clients complaining about him and his behavior,” H.H. wrote, adding that the director’s behavior had led to high staff turnover; however, H.H. also wrote: “They give you the right tools to be better staff or counselor.”

According to its website, The Discovery House accepts most PPO insurances, including but not limited to Aetna, Cigna, Humana, and United, with the usual caveat that insurance companies will often not pay for the full cost of treatment. Private pay is also accepted. The 10 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s affordability gave it 3.9 out of five stars.

Updated February 2017

Published on March 2017

My husband was at this facility for 3 months about 2 years ago. He ended up meeting a woman there and ended up cheating on me. This place almost broke up my marriage. For women out there who has their husband in this facility or vice versa, I suggest that you question about the congregation of men and women there. I was trusting on this place to help my husband.

As I read the comments here, there are some I agree with, but Not the majority. While upper management may come off as " choosing favorites ". It is not my concern nor should it be yours. Look at the bigger picture...I did once I allowed the vulnerability and acceptance of my disease. I went to The Discovery House twice! My first go round sucked, I really was not ready... and staff, counselors sucked! But I put my faith in them and went back less then 2 years later. Staff had changed! Groups were so different... separating at times male and females.. I liked this as the sexes see and need to respond differently. The second time I was allowed time to just " Be"... weekends were about gathering as fellow addicts/alcoholics playing games, music and movies. We as addicts need structure... I actually enjoyed my chores every morning... my home was clean! My onsite therapist was phenomenal as was my psycho-drama. If anyone thinks any rehab is perfect, then keep searching. Life is Not perfect! It's what you Do and What You Want to put forth to let another help You save your life. I will forever be grateful to The Discovery House... and should I ever need help in recovery again... I have them on speed dial. Now that being said... there is one fault that frustrated me on my second try/stay. The Chef was no longer there... there was a chef, who cooked phenomenal meals. But they had started to cut costs I guess and meals became bland and cooked in advance then defrosted. Hmmmm not so good.

I am ex employee at TDH, this placed is great to learn on how to approached to clients, they give you the right tools to be better staff or counselor, and to have better knowledge about addiction this the right placed. But as management and the director a long with clinical are not that great, my experience working with other employees was very bad experience, they gossip too much and there not that great on helping others, there's lack communication among employees . But as the Director his not good person he attends to manipulate his employees and his very rude an disrespectful...I heard multiple times from clients complaining about him and his behavior. He has favoritism towards man then women, he fires his staff from left to right every week, he doesn't cared or even bothers to listen to you when you have problem. All his staff fear him! His not good director to the staff or clients. Just want to inform that the main owner knows about his behavior and nothing has been done. I wouldn't recommend this placed .

During my time at TDH, I was able to remember who I really am and not the person I was becoming. I felt as though the groups were effective and informative. 85% of the staff were just awesome, and it meant a lot to me that they took the time to get to know me. I have recommended TDH to a few people that are still struggling out there, because I believe that TDH does it's best to help everyone that comes through their doors, individually and also in a social setting. Though the parting of ways was not what I expected and the way, I felt, that it was handled is something that I've come to accept. That being said, I believe that TDH offers a new hope for addicts/alcoholics to live life the way we are meant to, not as the disease wants us to. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me.

TDH doesn't make their clients fit into their programs, rather they actually mold their program to each client they have. They personalize and tailor an addiction treatment program to the specific needs of a person, which proves they recognize and respect that everyone is different. Everyone is available to talk all the time and they seem to actually want to get to know their clients so they can get to the core of their addiction issue.

Great resources but Kinda far. It's great

great people, great place

Friendly and Safe but Boring. Awesome

Strengths: Affordable local easy to get into not a very long waiting list. Weaknesses: dirty not kept clean not very nice counselors too many rules no exercise or yoga program no activities I think that if the program got some extra activities for their patients to do the place would be ran a lot better they need some new counselors that haven't been there 20 years that are burnt out

Strengths: The Discovery House provides exceptionally compassionate care while treating the whole individual – mind, body and spirit. Counselors are committed to addressing the underlying causes of addiction and create treatment plans that identify individual needs, choices and concerns. Weaknesses: clients are only directed to the 12 Step-based, disease-model perspective of treatment. I wish they had a bit more flexibility on what programs they offer. Otherwise highly satisfied with them. I believed this experience to be one of the most exciting for me. I learned many new ways to cope with stress along with addictive triggers. I am very happy with what I learned at this facility. I honestly would recommend this (to younger people) in need of rehab.

Great experience. They have one counselor for every 3 clients. A lot of one on one counseling. Semi - Private rooms. However, there is varying degrees of competency with counselors.

This program was awesome. They helped equip me with the tools and prinsiples I needed to continue my recovery. This program was awesome. They helped equip me with the tools and principles I needed to continue my recovery. The program was amazing!

Management is dysfunctional, and possess zero competence in administering counseling staff, or clients needing recovery from an addiction...clients are only directed to the 12 Step-based, disease-model perspective of treatment. No other perspective is allowed for.

Hello John, We appreciate your concerns. We design our evidenced based curriculum to meet the needs, choices and concerns of each resident. We provide a variety of treatment programs for substance abuse and co-occurring disorders, such as neurofeedback therapy, a family education program and other experiential therapies. We utilize the 12-step program as a supplement to our trauma-informed approach, as it has proven successful for millions of addicts. In addition, we maintain highly credentialed treatment teams to ensure our residents receive the highest level of care. Our staff treats each resident with dignity and respect as they meet them where they are and assist them in their journey to recovery.

Safe Harbor Treatment Center for Women
  • Substance abuse treatment specific to women
  • Programs for young adults, co-occuring eating disorder and, trauma
  • 12 Step based
Beachside Recovery
  • Offer a new, cutting edge addiction treatment method called Nexalin Technology
  • Clinically Managed Detox