The Healing Place - Men's Campus in Louisville, KY

Call (502) 585-4848 to Contact The Healing Place - Men's Campus

1020 West Market Street
Louisville KY 40202

The Healing Place - Men's Campus Philosophy

The Healing Place truly is "where hope is found." Whether you are someone struggling with addiction in your own life, looking to get help for a loved one, or searching for a recovery model that really works, we are here for you. Our program is unlike any other in the country. Because it's based on a social model - one that's about empowerment rather than entitlement - it is more than five times more effective than the national average at keeping people clean and sober. Best of all, it's open to everyone, and we maintain it with a far lower cost than most other facilities.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Marijuana Education

Intervention

DUI Education

ABOUT THE HEALING PLACE – MEN’S CAMPUS

Founded as a homeless shelter in 1989, The Healing Place now supports 700 men and women struggling with addiction every day, through men's and women's campuses in Louisville, a campus south of Louisville in Campbellsville, and an outpatient clinic. Services are offered free of charge. The Healing Place is one of the 51.8 percent of Kentucky-based rehabs that operates as private nonprofits.

The men's campus, located blocks from the Ohio River in central Louisville, provides food, shelter, clothing, and residential treatment for men struggling with substance use disorder. Non-medical detox is available on-site (making the facility one of the 5.6 percent of Kentucky rehabs that offer detox in a non-hospital, residential setting).

Beds are offered on a first-come, first-served basis, and new clients must be over 18, have a desire to get sober, and be pre-screened at an intake office. Programming is strongly based on the 12-Steps.

The program is split into four phases: detox, a brief motivational phase, the long-term program, and continuing care. Clients typically stay for six months in primary treatment and a further three months in transitional living, making the facility one of the 11.1 percent of Kentucky-based centers that offers treatment lasting more than 30 days.

Detox is strictly non-medical, and allows clients to stabilize before entering Safe Haven, a two-week motivational period during which they attend 40 weekly hours of classes and 12-step meetings on- campus. Next is Off The Streets, another short-term program in which clients start attending meetings off the campus, and learn to motivate each other and socialize.

During the long-term recovery stage, which typically lasts six months, clients work the 12-Steps and complete classes and assignments. They work with peer mentors and gradually learn to be role models in the community. The program emphasizes personal accountability and interpersonal skills.

Finally, clients progress to continuing care, when they may either remain on as peer mentors, or stay on campus while they work and prepare to transition to community life. Services include help finding employment and housing, provided at 40.1 and 48.2 percent of Kentucky facilities, respectively.

The Healing Place doesn't currently provide any details of its staff's credentials, however, the nine reviewers polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff were mostly impressed:

Staff Experience and Training: 3.9/5

The Healing Place's 2017 annual report notes that the men's campus has recently been renovated. As of the end of 2017, the new facility could house 250 men, with plans for 426 men in total by the end of 2018, including 50 detox beds. The nine reviewers polled by Rehabs.com on the physical facility noted that it's mostly clean, with passable exercise and leisure offerings:

Facility Cleanliness and Upkeep: 3.7/5
Exercise and Leisure Offerings: 3.5/5

Former clients polled by Rehabs.com gave mostly positive feedback, with some notes of complaint. The five alumni polled on the facility's performance in a variety of areas painted a picture of a functional, bare-bones program that's somewhat lacking in extracurricular activities (perhaps unsurprisingly, since it's free):

Likelihood to Recommend: 3.75/5
Family Participation: 3.2/5
Holistic Offerings: 1.4/5

In their comments, alumni repeatedly thanked the facility for introducing them to the 12-Steps, for getting them started on the road to recovery, and for giving them somewhere to stay, free of charge. "This program was God sent. A treatment facility that is free, medical care free, clothing free, a new life clean and sober totally free. All you have to do is want the help," one anonymous reviewer wrote in a typical comment.

Some alumni complained of discomfort at the physical facility, though these matters may have been addressed by the recent renovation. In addition, one alum complained that the non-medical detox was an unpleasant process, and one complained of a high relapse rate among his peers.

The Healing Place also has impressive feedback on secondary sites, with a 4.5 out of five-star average rating based on 146 reviews on Google.[1] The reviewers invariably praised the center's mission and commitment to helping homeless men struggling with addiction, free of charge. "Went here to sober up. Been sober over 200 days and counting. AA based, but the message of recovery is here for all addictions which lead to homelessness," one anonymous reviewer wrote.

Feedback from loved ones is also mostly positive. The four loved ones Rehabs.com surveyed on a variety of performance metrics gave encouraging scores. Friends and family members repeatedly praised the program's staff and aftercare: "My loved one had moved in and out of using cycles for years. Here he learned why he was addictive and how to deal with it on a day to day basis. He did not relapse but went back to do volunteer work and receive support from his peers," B.F.P. wrote in a representative comment.

Likelihood to Recommend: 4.5/5
Family Participation: 4/5
Counseling Options: 3.5/5

However, more than one friend or family member complained of people being turned away from treatment, in their view unfairly. And one loved one reported difficulty keeping in contact with their family member during treatment.

The single staff member polled by Rehabs.com to date would recommend the facility, citing its caring and compassionate staff and high success rate. They gave the facility five stars for its honesty and willingness to put clients' interests first, and four stars for the overall quality of its care.

Treatment is offered free of charge for all clients.

CONCLUSION

According to the facility's annual report, Phase I of the $29 million project opened in December 2017. Work on Phase II is expected to be complete by the end of 2018. At that time, The Healing Place will be able to provide detox and long-term residential services to 426 men.

Published on December 2018

Addictsmom

Absolutely amazing! Admitted my son and was so impressed with the staff and the way the peer mentors uplift patients. The The 100 or ao patients I saw were extremely positive and so happy... I was amazed with the entire program.

Th

The man answering the phone was amazing...not only helpful...but encouraging n very honest!

Jason

Not very impressed with the place. A (one) pancake the size of a cup opening, and a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. No towels for the over night people one night. I think the staff were very helpful, but the food is awful.

K.

I went to the H.P. In 2010 not knowing the slightest idea of how to be clean or a adult. The staff, all had been there and felt the same way. But they made it and helped me to realize that I’m not alone and I could be clean and sober. I relapsed twice since then. But it wasn’t from a lack of direction or knowledge that the H.P. Didn’t give me. It was my own choice. Since 2014 I have been sober. Ask my mother what the healing place means to her. Ask my friends who thought I was going to die. I gave 2 stars for the accommodations. But it’s free. 100% free. Get over it

Rita

On December 22,2017, I drove 9 hours to bring my son to your facility for long term care, after the Director said he would be able to stay there. I'm very disappointed because your facility turned my son away. He spent 8days and nights in a facility in Greenwood but needs long term help. I'm not working at this time and to drive all that way is wrong. My son and I are very disappointed. He truly wants and needs help. My son has been a addict for 20 year's. Shame on all of you. God sees everything. I thought you were here to help addiction. I'm planning to call my local news and let them know what happened to us today. From a heart broken family

ANONYMOUS

I am not happy with there not being viable amenities like duel treatment, detox options esp for long time and repeat users who relapse, and there not being an abundance of doctors and Psychiatrists on hand. When the relapsed is whisked away and has no contact with loved ones, say a stable fiancé and the person is isolated basically I've been told made to be doesn't help in the process of recovery. This loved one has been part of the addicts life and then hidden away by god knows who is a scary thing for loved one involved esp when the one needing treatment is in a vulnerable state. I have no clue about the food but after speaking with several qualified professionals, I am not happy with this option or these lack of amenities.

NS

Little let down to know they have 4 beds open and turn down a man all because he is from a different county. To help someone asking for help, is to help someone. Shouldn't matter where they live.

Charlie

After many many different treatment centers with NO positive results I made it to The Healing Place in 1997. Right off the bat I noticed that this was not anything like I had experienced in the past there were people there who really cared mostly because they were or had completed the program already and all they wanted to do was help with the recovery process. The structure of the program was exactly what I needed though I didn't know it at the time. Since then I've been sober and living a productive life. I have my family back in my life have two beautiful grandchildren am a homeowner and now attend church regularly because I know that my Savior Jesus Christ who lead me to The Healing Place. If your sick and tired of being sick and tired try The Healing Place.

12 step /faith based. Food could be better. Not sure only there for detox.

John

This place saved my life and it works if you wan\'t it!!!!

It's a great treatment center.

They had good knowledge, follow up, meetings, mentors, and some of the personnel they were very straight foreward, did great follow up, kept us updated, gave mentors that were good,

Derek

I was told they had a 75% rate, and I\'ve watched 90% of the people I went through with relapsed quickly after leaving. They gave me a place to stay, but the 12 steps saved my life. Treatment centers won\'t save the real alcoholic/addict. Hook up with a good sponsor please.

This program was God sent. A treatment facility that is free, medical care free, clothing free, a new life clean and sober totally free. All you have to do is want the help. I swear this place has saved many lives..

Raymond

Recovery was a strength of the facility; however, the location was not good. Long term treatment, which I feel is needed.

Need better holistic offerings.

Getting you sober was a strength of the facility. However, wanting to start was a downfall. Good for broke ppl.

Counseling, meetings, mentors were strengths of the facility. Certain staff members were downfalls of the facility. I enjoyed the stay there I learned alot.

Getting people clean is a strength of the facility. Good treatment facility with a high success rate.

Derek

I greatly enjoyed that it was structured and based on the 12 steps. However, there was non medical detox which I did not enjoy. There was great success rates and support.

It was very affordable and family participation was excellent.

TAL

They offered and encouraged 3 month stay in transitional housing at low cost to me as I re-entered work force. It encouraged and enabled me to honestly face myself and my addiction that I am now able to live life on life's terms. I am grateful to them and all the contributors that make it possible for someone like me to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. It is a non medical facility that provided education giving me a full understanding of my disease and provided housing and meals daily.

BFP

My loved one had moved in and out of using cycles for years. Here he learned why he was addictive and how to deal with it on a day to day basis. He did not relapse but went back to do volunteer work and receive support from his peers. He did not feel comfortable without his support system and wanted to be stronger before he re-entered the mainstream. I cannot say enough about this facility and their methods of treatment.

Douglas

The Healing Place is totally free and really works if you are open minded and motivated.

anonymous

Family events included AA meetings and picnics.