The Hills Treatment Center in Los Angeles, CA

8207 Mulholland Drive
Los Angeles CA 90046

The Hills Treatment Center Philosophy

The Hills Treatment Center is dedicated to providing a safe, structured environment for individuals in a transitional phase of recovering from chemical dependency and co-occurring disorders. During this transitional period, we empower clients to transform their lives replacing their old feelings of powerlessness and hopelessness with renewed optimism, dignity and confidence.
Our clients are given tools to begin building their new foundation of lasting recovery. Our support staff is committed to excellence while ensuring each client feels fully supported through this transitional period. Residents are encouraged to attend 12 Step meetings or group therapy sessions as well as continuing to see their personal therapist or psychiatrist. The end result is our clients begin to develop realistic and attainable goals and ultimately a new vision of life.
Our goal is to replace one's demoralization, shame and guilt with honor, dignity and a sense of one's true self.
At The Hills Center we help our clients gain an understanding that drugs and alcohol have created depression, demoralization and the experience of feeling out of control. As a result of this realization our clients begin to recognize that they have become powerless over their use of drugs and alcohol and have lost their sense of personal power in the process. In helping our clients to understand their primary purpose, we teach them to live with honor and dignity as they begin to regain personal power over their lives and the ability to live their dreams.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Trauma Therapy; EMDR; Hypnotherapy; TMS;

Client Centered Individualized Treatment

Systemic Family Therapy

Dr. Howard C. Samuels, PsyD

Owner & Founder

Dr. Samuels specializes in the treatment of mood and addictive disorders, love addiction and substance abuse intervention. Dr. Samuels has been clean and sober for 29 years from heroin and cocaine addiction.

Bruce Turner

Program Director

Bruce Turner has a M.A. in Marriage Family Therapy and has been working as an addiction specialist with dual diagnosed clients both in residential treatment settings and private practice for over fifteen years. Bruce’s experience includes extensive work with clients individually as well as in the group process for addiction education, relapse prevention, grief counseling, and multi-family process groups. Prior to working in treatment, Bruce has over twenty-three years experience in health care administration including Human Resources Administration and Employee Assistance Programs.

ABOUT THE HILLS TREATMENT CENTER

Located on a gated 3.5-acre campus in the Hollywood Hills, The Hills is an exclusive rehab center offering medical detox, residential treatment, and outpatient programs for individuals struggling with addiction, including process addictions, eating disorders, and dual diagnosis.

The Hills aims to provide individualized treatment that puts the client at the center of their own recovery while treating any underlying trauma.

Treatment uses the 12-Steps alongside evidence-based methods such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), motivational enhancement therapy (MET), transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), narrative therapy, solution-focused therapy, and systemic family therapy.

Outpatient options include a partial hospitalization program (PHP), intensive outpatient program (IOP), and general outpatient programming. PHP runs six or seven days a week, and IOP involves between three to six three-hour sessions each week. There are dedicated programs for LGBT clients, though the program details are not provided.

This facility has a staff-to-client ratio of 1:3. The founder is a doctor of psychology who has been clean and sober from drug addiction for 29 years. The staff also includes a nurse and master’s level therapists.

The Hills is a luxurious, gated home with a pool, offering 21 beds, some in private rooms. A secluded three-bedroom cottage is available for those clients who wish to detox in privacy, and there’s also a separate unit for couples in detox. Each of those options comes with Internet and cable. Meals are prepared by a chef on staff, and pets are welcome. Holistic options include horticulture therapy, yoga, and massage.

At the time of this writing there have been 56 alumni polled by Rehabs.com. Alumni gave overwhelmingly positive reviews. Alum Eloise gave the facility five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, five stars for accommodations & amenities, and five stars for meals & nutrition. She wrote, “I loved the hills, my stay was amazing and I owe my life to them...I’m truly blessed to have been at the hills and I’m eternally greatful.” Alum F.J.H., who gave the facility five stars across all metrics, was happy with how the staff could empathize with the clients. “A staff that actually cares, and has been thru it as well. This is by far the best treatment center I know of I work in the field and with many places this is by far the greatest.”

Of the two reviews received from loved ones to date, one was positive and one was negative. “I feel the treatment center preys on the fears of family members to keep their loved ones in treatment rather than the center being effective or not,” Kathleen wrote. “There was no structure, the groups were led by unlicensed people, some they picked up in AA meetings,..., it was a horror story at over $50,000 / month.” Kathleen gave the facility one out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, three stars for accommodations & amenities, and three stars for meals & nutrition.

Loved one S.T. wrote that her daughter was “improving with the support and guidance” of the team at The Hills. She gave the facility five stars across all metrics.

There has been one staff member polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing. The staff member, T.K., is a current employee at the time of this writing and worked at the facility for one to five years. T.K. last worked at the facility in 2015. The facility does use medications for the treatment of alcohol and drug use disorder.

T.K. gave the facility good marks in most categories. She gave five out of five stars for the staff’s ability to inspire loyalty/sense of community among patients, willingness to put patients’ interests first, and the credentials/experience of the treatment staff. T.K. wrote that the facility’s strengths include “small high staff to patient ratio, uses evidenced based practices, takes PPO insurance, has scholarships, high quality treatment with affordable pricing, individualized treatment, uses licensed and credentialed staff.”

The center accepts insurance on an out-of-network basis. One alum wrote that her treatment cost $50,000 for one month; the facility does not post their fee schedule online.

Published on June 2017

I am in my third week of treatment here at the hills and wanted to write a review before I leave and begin living life clean and sober. I cannot say enough about The Hills. The staff is beyond professional and caring. Since the vast majority of staff are recovering alcoholics and addicts themselves, it is easy to relate to them and be inspired by them. The content in the variety of therapy groups has provided me with helpful information and ample opportunity to reflect on my own addictions and my family of origin. Treatment is what you make of it, and if you are serious about getting help, the Hills offers an incredible environment in which to rise from the ashes, wake up and live life. I cannot say enough about this wonderful place and the amazing people who work here. Thank you for giving me the love and support to go out into the world and become the person I am meant to be.

They treated my mother with such care and dignity. The staff, program and facilities are amazing! The family program is amazing and not like all the others I have been to. Jorja and John are brilliant, informative and the right amount firmness so I followed through with my home work ! My father was the worst enabler until The Hills. He is now the healthiest out of all of us. I'm sorry to say my mother is using again but I understand it is the nature of this brain disorder and "I can't fix her ". The Monday night support group is amazing and it is good to see the ones whom did make it. Howard's generosity is highly underrated . Thank God there is a Hills Treatment Center that not only treats Addicts but treats the families as well.

I was really emotional, depressed and suicidal when I arrived. I like that The Hills made me feel like I’m part of a family. When I came in, Howard was there, and he hugged me and said, “We got her” to my husband. I love knowing that, once I leave from The Hills, my connection isn’t over. If I get into trouble and feel like I’m going to relapse, I know that I can call and I will talk to someone who can help me out.

I love so many things about The Hills Center! Most definitely the staff and the therapist provided by The Hills are the biggest impact on my re-habilitation. I had simply hit rock bottom and didn't know how I was going to come out of the hole I had dug myself into... I can't even begin the gratitude and deepest appreciation I have for them because when I first came I simply thought it was completely impossible for me to stay sober! With the help and support of them and all the therapy groups I've attended I now KNOW it is possible for me to not only maintain my sobriety but it is clearly possible to start my life over again and be the mother, daughter & sister I once was to my family.... I am sincerely thankful from the bottom of my heart to The Hills Center for helping me through probably the most difficult time of my life and the ability to start a new chapter in my life sober.”

“Diverse groups, attention to building a program that is working directly with my own issues, amazing attention and love from the Program Director who was brilliant. He is intelligent, he is focused, and he runs this place amazingly. He took the extra time to give me a program specifically designed for my needs – and he was also quick to call me on my BS! Everything was awesome!”

Very helpful and therapeutic.

I had a great 30 day experience at the Hills. It did not appear that the sober living arrangements would have benefitted my recovery, so I enrolled in an Intensive Outpatient Program at home.

I found a lot of compassion and great resources at The Hills. For someone who lives in LA, they really encouraged me to strengthen and increase my current support system and allowed my sponsor to do step work with me on site, as well as going out to meetings with people from my network. I believe this has been very helpful as I'm only here for a limited time and they have been supportive in preparing me for life outside of treatment.

NOT NEARLY ENOUGH PEOPLE ON STAFF!!

...Experience was unsatisfactory.

Very great place to start recovery,friendly staff and other clients. Constant groups to keep our mind in positive thinking,Food incredible, great views, great atmosphere what more can you want!?

This is the best center anyone could wish to go to for treatment. It really feels like a luxury vacation as opposed to most hospital settings. The pictures really don't even do this place justice, as the view is unlike anything I've ever seen on my actual vacations. The staff are amazing people with incredible stories, and the food is heavenly!

Wonderful place. Wonderful people.

The treatment center is If you would like to get sober and stay sober come here!

I couldn't have been more pleased with my treatment at The Hills Center. They staff and treatment supervisors are extremely accommodating and supportive. I have been to a treatment centers in the past and I have never received treatment that has been as affective as my treatment at The Hills. The Hills is able to mix extreme comfort with seriously affective treatment that will help you to build a lasting recovery. I suffer from addiction and was using cocaine and alcohol on a daily basis before coming to The Hills. My life was extremely unmanageable and now I am on my way improving my life in all aspects. Thank you to The Hills and I think it would be a serious mistake to pass up The Hills as a treatment opportunity.

A very knowlegable staff and caring counselors made my stay at the hill and very comfortable and productive one! Thank you!

My life has changed so much for the better - I am leaving this facility with confidence and a renewed sense of self esteem. Thank you for making me feel alive again.

The Hills exceeded my expectations in every department. The staff was knowledgeable and having been in recovery understood my needs and catered each client based on their individual needs. I can't say enough positive things about my experience. An amazing place to start my journey in recovery.

Staff was great, agreeable, accommodating & insightful, I was stubborn as heck & they helped show me the way outside of my self & grow into a young mature adult man

Love the meals, love the pools, love love the beds!! Feels like home here. There is always someone to talk to when you need something or are just feeling down.

The Hills saved my life. I would not be alive today if it wasn't for the Hills. I am so grateful and will always have a home there.

Having become quite recreational on certain hard drugs that i believed helped me with a problem with my 1985 Rock Star husband ,finally i realised these drugs were costing me a lot of money,so i checked incognito into The Hill treatment resort and when i left was feeling very distant from my usual narcotic cravings.I also had trauma therapy which left me able to stand outside painful memories.

I'd recommend the hills to anyone who is looking to get clean. They have beautiful houses and a great staff. The program here really works if you work it, but at the end of the day you have to WANT to get sober for it to work.

The Hills treatment center is absolutely amazing. The staff was awesome and the food was great at every meal. It was like going out to a restaurant for every meal. The classes are all really informative and not boring at all. The rooms are all very nice and the beds are really comfortable. The doctor there really knows what he is doing and made my detox from opiates easy and painless. I learned so much from the Hills that I actually feel like I can live the rest of my life drug and alcohol free. Thank you to the Hills!!

Excellent care all the way around. I will recommend the Hills to anyone who needs treatment. The number of clients at a time makes your stay that much more worth while. From the intake to the release the staff was excellent. Best beds!!!!!! Excellent food!!!

This place saves so many lives they are excellent with treatments staff and hospitality

A very loving and caring place....staff that truly wants you to get better.....

I'm so happy I came to the Hills for my recovery. I don't think I would have been able to do it anywhere else. The level or care, staff, groups, and people made my experience so amazing. I will never forget the things I've learned here. Extremely thankful to the Hills.

Very great experience. Super supportive and very attentive.

Sadly just another program geared towards making money from insurance companies as opposed to finding help finding a solution and finding togetherness through recovery. I guess they struggle with their own addiction as well. Just unrecovered.

NEED TO HIRE MORE STAFF

I loved the hills, my stay was amazing and I owe my life to them. I thought I couldn't survive without drugs and alcohol and My experience at the hills showed me differently. Today I am clear minded and sober, something my friends and family and I never thought possible. I'm truly blessed to have been at the hills and I'm eternally greatful.

Amazing staff, great facilities, great preparation for real world sobriety

The hills treatment center is a great treatment center. All the staff is great... The counselors are fabulous, the food is good and the facially is very comfortable. I learned a lot at the hills and I would highly suggest it to anyone looking for a treatment center,

Very nice place staff was amazing

Great food! Pool! Treatment staff are amazing!!

The Hills saved my life. I am so grateful for two staff members in particular. They are so compassionate and accomodating. I cannot express my thanks enough for them, the Hills and the staff. Amazing!

I have been to other treatment facilities for alcohol and drug addiction and never got the understanding I needed to have a shift in my thinking. At The Hills Center I regained a total feeling of self worth and confidence, which gave me the mental shift I needed to truly want to stay sober and experience the joy of life.

Amazing treatment center!

I had a great experience at The Hlls. I have nothing to complain about. The staff goes above the call of duty, the grounds are beautiful and the groups are very helpful in understanding my disease. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

The Hills is an amazing place. They saved my life. I have unfortunately been to many other rehab facilities as well and the program at the hills is by far the best. I would recommend The Hills to anyone seeking treatment. It is a wonderful place.

My overall experience at the Hills was positive. There were times that were hard. However, I had a fantastic therapist while I was there and who I continue to see after leaving the Hills. I've been sober for over 2 and half years now because the Hills showed me there was another way besides using alcohol and drugs to cope with my life. Because of the Hills, I managed to stay out of jail and later had criminal changes dismissed. I can't express how grateful I am for my therapist and the Hills.

Amazing staff, loved my therapist's! still sober 6 months later!!!

Saved my life. Amazing staff and food!!

I have nothing but praise for the Hills. I was brought in just a broken mess. The staff is amazing, in all positions. Thank you to one staff member in particular and others for providing such a great program. I finally, after many years, feel like I've gained my "power" back. It puts a smile on my face just to be able to type this comment.

I think it is the fairest and high class treatment center and it is a fantastic place.

Informative groups regarding addiction; great staff which was helpful throught out my entire stay; would recommended this facility to anyone who is looking for treatment currently

The Hills Treatment Center was the best treatment center I could have come to. It was a wonderful experiece and time of healing. The staff is excellent and they do anything and everything they can do to help you along the way. I would recommend this treatment center anyone who is searching for somewhere to go.

My experience at the Hills was nothing short of positive. They were kind to me and able to deal with all of my difficult moments. It is well structured, but very loving. Frankly, I don't want to leave. Thank you hill.

I'm taking this opportunity to thank the entire Hills team for helping and supporting my daughter with the tools and love she has received to continue to make progress toward recovery. My daughter continues to work hard and is improving with the support and guidance of your team. This is miraculous because I was convinced the next time I would see her would be at her funeral. The Hills has truly been an amazing place for people like my daughter to heal and please know I will forever be grateful.

The hills saved my life. It is the most wonderful selection of groups and top notch facilitators you could get. Every one here is very loving and caring. When I need help the Hills is the only place I would consider going to.

One of the main things I loved about the hills is that it provided me with a safe nurturing enviroment where I was able to heal from a really bad relapse into crack addiction. The staff really care and are mostly in recovery themselves and provided a great support. I would highly suggest the hills to anyone who is sick and tired of being sick and tired

I had a great experience at the Hills staff was great so was the food. Highly recomend

Treatment centers have become a big business. Having been involved in a 12 step program since 1987, I can say this treatment center was anything but. ... I feel the treatment center preys on the fears of family members to keep their loved ones in treatment rather than the center being effective or not. There was no structure, the groups were led by unlicensed people, some they picked up in AA meetings,..., it was a horror story at over $50,000 / month. they charged a lot of money for nothing. ... No supervision at the facility by staff. ... I would not send ANYONE there.

Most everyone there is age 20 to 30 and have considerable experience in going back to rehab over and over and over again. I was new to this and really needed some help for PTSD - they went through all my bags and took my ipad, ipod, eyeglasses, wallet, cash, listerine, cologne, the list goes on. I had to beg them for my cell phone which I did get back while I was there. They took my insurance card and did not return it. I had to order a new one. They LIE about everything.

A staff that actually cares,and has been thru it as well. This is by far the best treatment center I know of I work in the field and with many places this is by far the greatest.

I chose to go to The Hills for five days to "detox" from a stressful life situation and to take a break from my wine. I chose to go there because it was near my job where there is often an emergency I need to handle and because of the features and amenities as described on their website. It was the biggest mistake of my life. No one should go there. I was forced to attend AA meetings constantly. Everything on their website is a complete lie. No heated pool, no hikes, no acupuncture, no one-on-one therapy, no massage, no dual diagnosis treatment. (they take all your stuff when you arrive and you have to beg to get things back like a cell phone or an ipod).

Needs more/better marketing. Needs additional location for higher level of care. However, strengths include small staff to patient ratio, uses evidenced based practices, takes PPO insurance, has scholarships, high quality treatment with affordable pricing, individualized treatment, uses licensed and credentialed staff.

Strengths: Staff, groups, food, environment, therapists. Weaknesses: Price. I was really able to open up and finally talk about things that I have never talked about to anyone, it was scary to do that be so vulnerable but I wasnt alone, the staff as well as other clients were by my side every step of the way. I feel as though if I didn't leave so soon I would ofsactually made it.

AA based treatment facility. While comfortable, tends to be a rotating door with many patients relapsing at least once, if not many times.

Very shady! This is my 4th rehab and definitely the worst. It all seems good on the outside but not a good place to go or send a loved one to. Beware!

Serene location. Strengths: treatment options. Weaknesses: food.

This is a caring group. It is 12 step based, which isn't for me but I will say it was successful. Good people with experience.

Great facility; I would highly recommend it.

Restore Health & Wellness
  • Recoveryfit centers on the often-neglected PHYSICAL COMPONENT of recovery
  • 2 acre mansion, swimming pool, tennis, basketball and volleyball
  • Holistic treatment including On-site chiropractic, massage, acupuncture, and yoga.
Recover Integrity
  • Career, vocational and education related counseling for clients
  • Diagnostic testing for every client
  • Individual psychiatric services for each client