The Recovery Center at West Pines in Wheat Ridge, CO

(4 of 5)
3400 Lutheran Parkway
Wheat Ridge CO 80033

The Recovery Center at West Pines Philosophy

Mental illness and addiction affect millions of people every day. Since 1988, West Pines has provided hope, healing, and recovery for patients and their loved ones. Our qualified medical and clinical teams serve adults ages 18 and older with psychiatric or chemical dependency concerns. We also offer integrated treatment for people with co-occurring diagnoses who are affected by both chemical dependency and an emotional or psychiatric disorder. Our holistic approach to treatment focuses on the physical, emotional, social and spiritual well being of each of our patients.

• Aftercare Support
    Addiction recovery does not end with discharge after completing a rehab program. Facilities that offer aftercare planning and/or support work with patients to ensure sustainable recovery by helping to plan and make arrangements for transitional or sober living, help with housing, vocational counseling, etc.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

14-day Residential Treatment

Psycho-educational, motivational, and cognitive behavioral groups

Integrated treatment for addiction and psychiatric conditions (co-occuring disorders)

ABOUT THE RECOVERY CENTER AT WEST PINES

Located in Wheat Ridge, Colo., a suburb of Denver, the Recovery Center (TRC) offers residential, short-term treatment for adults struggling with chemical dependency and co-occurring mental health disorders. Operated by West Pines Behavioral Health, the facility also offers medical detox, which is a service available at just 4.2 percent of non-hospital treatment facilities in Colorado.

All clients undergo an initial evaluation before admission to determine an appropriate level of care. Treatment at TRC blends evidence-based treatment methods such as motivational interviewing and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) with 12-step principles and holistic programming.

The minimum length of stay at the Recovery Center is 14 days.
Residents participate in a structured schedule of individual counseling, group therapy, psychoeducational classes, and 12-step meetings. To curb cravings and minimize withdrawal symptoms, medication-assisted therapy (MAT) may also be recommended Antabuse, Naltrexone or Suboxone. In 2017, just 20.7 percent of treatment facilities in Colorado offered Suboxone as a treatment option.

Clients may also participate in acupuncture, an alternative option offered by just 10.8 percent of treatment facilities in Colorado. The facility also provides daily exercise opportunities, which may include rock climbing, strength training, and aerobic activity. Before completion of the Recovery Center’s program, case managers help form individual discharge plans for alumni.

TRC employs a team of addiction psychiatrists and therapists. The six individuals surveyed by Rehabs.com to date about the staff indicated that they were knowledgeable and well-trained.

Staff Experience and Training: 4/5

The 20-bed facility provides a structured, therapeutic environment with comfortable, communal spaces, private bathrooms, and shared bedrooms. Emphasizing physical health as an important component of treatment, the program partners with Phoenix Multisport, a nonprofit organization that provides physical fitness programs for individuals in recovery. During treatment, residents also have access to an on-site fitness facility and a ropes course.

To date, the six individuals surveyed by Rehabs.com on the matters generally appreciated the facility's cleanliness, though gave more moderate ratings concerning recreational opportunities.

Cleanliness: 4.3/5
Exercise and Leisure: 3.2/5

The five former clients polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave TRC mostly positive feedback. They indicated that they would possibly consider recommending the program to others, and noted that the program provided ample opportunity for family involvement.

Family Participation: 4/5
Would Recommend: 3/5

"Exercise involvement everyday in various ways, great group learning activities and involvement," one anonymous alum wrote in a representative review. Alumni agreed the facility was clean and that the staff was well-trained.

Cleanliness: 4.4/5
Staff Experience and Training: 4.2/5

The facility received mixed reviews on secondary sites, earning average ratings of 3.4 out of five stars based on 52 Google reviews[1] and two out of five stars based on nine Yelp reviews[2]. Across both sites, feedback was varied — some former clients praised the facility for its treatment and touted it as life-saving, while others complained that staff were rude and treatment was sub-par.

Of the three loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date, two offered negative feedback and one offered positive feedback. The chief complaint among the two unhappy reviewers was that the facility failed to maintain communication with family members. "I wasn't informed about his treatment at the time he was here," one wrote in a representative review. However, the one satisfied reviewer noted of their loved one: "She learned new coping skills that did not involve narcotics which was the goal towards moving for sobriety."

Currently, the private pay rate for the 14-day residential program is $9,030. Although the facility does not offer financial assistance, West Pines Behavioral Health accepts most major insurance plans including Anthem Blue Cross, Aetna, United, Cigna, Humana, and Tri-Care. To date, the six individuals polled on the matter generally appreciated the facility's cost.

Affordability: 4/5

[2] https://www.yelp.com/biz/west-pines-behavioral-health-wheat-ridge

Published on November 2019

WR

Completely inept mental health hospital that is a cash cow that Kaiser Permanente refers patients. Both lack severally in understanding their patients or treating their patients with respect. The only way of leaving is to take all of the drugs they want you to with complete disregard for the patient's experience with them.

Melinda

West Pines was an amazing experience, and totally different from what I anticipated inpatient treatment to be like. The therapist and counselors were awesome! A lot of them were recovering addicts themselves, so they had life experience, and could totally relate to everything I was feeling! Everyone was so sincere and caring, encouraging, and supportive! The environment was beautiful, the classes were very helpful, the Phoenix sport gym was awesome! The food was delicious, the kitchen staff were great! The doctors were wonderful! It was a wonderful experience, and I gained so much knowledge and wisdom! Today I am 6 and 1/2 monthss sober! I couldn't have done it without their help!

I wasn't informed about his treatment at the time he was here.

Hk

The staff was quite frankly odd when I was here and practiced a "gotcha" type approach with patients. I was accused of using substances and told I had tested positive for a substance I had no access to beyond their medication counter. I demanded to see the urine test results but they were never produced. It seemed to me that staff would take a personal dislike to a patient and get them removed from treatment. There was also a weird patient hierarchy with the chairs we sat in. The newer you were, the more uncomfortable your chair, Not conducive to my recovery, Also I was quoted a copay 1p% of what they billed me, Wound up kicking the problem myself. I would recommend you think twice before entrusting yourself or a loved ome here.

I am sorry that you had a negative experience at West Pines. We rarely ask patients to leave the facility unless there are serious, credible concerns. Our goal is to provide people with the tools and experience to be successful in their recovery. In terms of the seating arrangement, people do have a tendency to get comfortable in a particular seat, and claim it as their own. Thank you for the feedback that we as the staff need to continually remind patients to not claim seats as their own.

Rebecca

In our experience, this place has some serious communication issues. We took our son to West Pines last week, but left without admitting him after a truly disturbing phone conversation with one of the staff psychologists, who refused to listen and was insulting and irrelevant. Most of the staff that we met were pleasant and supportive, but the person that West Pines had answering the phone on Saturday tried to intimidate me (the mom) by telling me she has a PhD in Psychology and asking what my PhD is in. I actually have a PhD, although not in psychology, and when I told her so that infuriated her further and she refused to even listen to my question, interrupting me repeatedly, eventually putting me on hold and then apparently disconnecting the call. When I called back (remember I was trying to arrange detox care for a very sick young man) she said that she is a psychologist and therefore knew that I had hung up on her because I didn't like the answers I was getting. This is untrue, of course, because (a) I didn't hang up on her, and (b) she was not providing any answers, as she wouldn't even listen to what I was asking. The underlying issue was that we did not know whether our insurance had authorized our son's admission, and that was what I was calling to try to find out. I figured she was so nasty to me because the insurance had denied admission and that she thought I'd called to argue with her (or didn't care because the facility wasn't going to make any money from us), but a couple of days later I found out that in fact our insurance was willing to cover our son's detox care, but no one from West Pines (who had communicated with our insurance company to try to get the authorization) had told us so. Because our son had underlying medical issues, he was kept at Lutheran hospital as part of his intake process, and we were driven there by West Pines staff. No one at West Pines was concerned that this left me alone late at night wandering around this sprawling facility trying to find my car--they did not even offer me a map to help me get back. The next day the nurses at the hospital kept saying that someone from West Pines would arrive and be able to talk with us, but as the hospital prepared to discharge our son no one had yet materialized, which is why I called the West Pines phone number and got the staff psychologist who treated me so disturbingly. Perhaps West Pines' patient care is all right--we didn't get that far. But their concern and communication with family members, and with hospital staff, in our experience, leave quite a lot of room for improvement. It may well have been a blessing in disguise that they failed to tell us that our insurance had authorized treatment and would likely allow our son to be admitted, as I'm certain that he did not need to be spoken to in the way that I was; if the weekend psychologist with whom I spoke is representative of the clinical staff, I feel that we were far better off taking our son home to detox (although going against medical advice was very stressful) rather than leaving him in this facility with no witness to how he might be treated. Based on the example of arrogance and insensitivity we saw from the staff psychologist that West Pines entrusts with weekend duty, and her nasty and provocative instant psychoanalysis of me, an upset family member whom she had never met, I would have some serious concerns about leaving a vulnerable loved one alone in this facility. When I called on Monday to discuss this with the manager, she did at least listen, although I noticed that she did not ask if our son had survived detoxing at home (the good news is that he did) or express any other interest in his well being. My advice about this facility is to approach with caution, and if your patient complains that they were not listened to or were intimidated by clinical staff touting their (perhaps dubious) credentials, take the complaint seriously. Our experience suggests that this facility tolerates staff who behave in this way.

SM

It was an extremely pleasant place to recover.

Kevin

Internal Councellers were great but No follow up at all. I ended up 6 months later going to a psychiatrist to be treated for major depression disorder. Fantastic facility. It was brand-new when I entered rehab. The counselors were friendly and very knowledgeable. The only issue I really had was when I left. Absolutely no follow up care with any medical Doctors. Just a thank you and goodbye. I ended up in a deep depression and gained 40 pounds. Im happy to say that I have been sober for seven years three months. I sought out a a psychiatrist after six months. He put me on some medications and I lost all the weight that I had gained. I continue councelling every other week.

Strengths: Caring nurses, clean facility, several treatment options. Weaknesses: Food and nutrition, lack of holistic care options, only saw one doctor one time during 3 weeks of treatment. I was able to receive the treatment that I needed. However, if I could have afforded it, I would have gone somewhere else with a private room, and somewhere that does not mix the psychiatric patients with the substance abuse treatment patients. That was somewhat uncomfortable.

Its Location and professional care were great. I I stayed at the facility for 4 weeks and went through a daily routine and programs.I received great treatment from caring professionals.

There were a couple of staff members that were very caring and helpful. They mix the people who are there for substance abuse with the people who have mental disabilities, they just seem to diagnose and treat everybody the same way without spending much time getting to know them, and the food is not good. The patients need more activities, attention and one-on-one therapy.

Exercise involvement everyday in various ways, great group learning activities and involvement. Admission process was somewhat difficult as the secretary didn't know exactly what she was doing. Used various tools integrated into there treatment program which was helpful for different types of learners. Art is also a part of therapy which was beneficial.

Great working with family members and friends, really good with patient who had a child to allow her to see the child. Friendly staff most of the time. Staff was open to religious differences in clients. Staff did talk about another staff member who was rude with family and the patient which did not seem appropriate. Meal options were limited for special diets and needs. Mostly, it was good and helpful to the client. She learned new coping skills that did not involve narcotics which was the goal towards moving for sobriety.