The Refuge - A Healing Place in Ocklawaha, FL

Call (877) 849-0738 to Contact The Refuge - A Healing Place

14835 SE 85th St
Ocklawaha FL 32179

The Refuge - A Healing Place Philosophy

Child and Adult Sexual Abuse Treatment, Self-Harm and Suicidal Ideation Treatment

25 Hours Of Trauma Work Per Week On A Serene Healing Campus
All therapist are certified and trained in a wide variety of therapeutic methods.
Intense didactic and experiential family week offered every 5 weeks

ABOUT THE REFUGE, A HEALING PLACE

Centered on a 94-acre campus between Orlando and Gainesville in Central Florida, The Refuge, A Healing Place, provides treatment for adults dealing with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. The Refuge offers on-site detoxification, residential treatment, and sober living.

The Refuge also provides specific treatment for anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, and other psychiatric conditions.

Prior to admission, intake counselors at The Refuge will evaluate potential clients using interview data and medical history. Medically-managed detoxification at the center typically lasts seven to 10 days, though it can be extended as needed.

Counselors will create a personalized treatment plan that may include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), 12-step meetings, and holistic therapies. The Refuge also treats eating disorders, sex addiction, gambling, self-harming behaviors and other conditions.

Those enrolled in residential treatment on average stay for 90 days.

A four-day retreat for family members, Family Week, involves educational meetings, individual sessions and experiential groups.

Continuing care resources for clients involve a discharge plan and medication management. Graduates can transition into sober living facilities on the campus.

The Refuge is CARF-accredited and employs over 100 individuals including therapists, medical doctors, nurses, psychologists, certified counselors, and psychiatrists. Some staff members are in recovery themselves.

The 94-acre campus can accommodate 60 adults in gender-specific housing. The peaceful, secluded location makes it possible for clients to enjoy hiking trails, ropes courses, horseback riding, a labyrinth, and a meditation trail. Clients can also use an on-site swimming pool, volleyball, and basketball court.

Seven individuals surveyed by Rehabs.com to date gave mixed feedback concerning The Refuge. Four individuals polled gave the facility perfect five-star ratings for its treatment effectiveness, while three individuals gave The Refuge one- or three-stars.

Alum K.G. wrote: "I think the facility does an awesome job of personalizing ever patient's treatment." Jon called The Refuge a "very serene place" to receive treatment.

However, other individuals did not feel that treatment was worthwhile at The Refuge.

Jennifer, who received treatment for PTSD at The Refuge commented: "Bad place. Not worth the money..." One anonymous reviewer added: "The programs at The Rufuge are good, but the execution of those programs rarely was."

On The Refuge's Facebook page, which may be vetted, 110 reviewers gave the facility high marks of 4.7 out of five stars. [1]

Two reviewers left perfect five-star ratings for the facility on Yelp, while a third individual gave the facility one out of five stars. [2]

Four loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date gave The Refuge moderate ratings overall, with 3.3 out of five stars going to the the facility's holistic offerings, cleanliness, exercise and leisure activities, and visitor policy. Two individuals gave perfect five-star ratings to The Refuge's treatment effectiveness.

Loved one J.L.C. indicated that treatment was "very expensive" but felt that strengths included "Lots of one on one counselling; strong family program." An anonymous parent added: "It gave her the structure she needed at first and then seemed to move to more self directed directions that helped her to gain insight into her situation."

However, parent S.F. reported: "There is no rhyme or reason for their modalities, except to have clients go over their trauma over and over again, which is traumatizing in itself."

No information is provided on The Refuge's website concerning insurance, pricing, or financial assistance at this time of writing.

[1]https://www.facebook.com/TheRefugeAHealingPlace/
[2]https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-refuge-a-healing-place-ocklawaha

Published on December 2017

Mark

I did not realize how much I learned until I was stable back in a home. I was given a second chance at life, how many people can say thank you. I think I just did. I learned a lot here and wished I learned more. Everyone was opened to helping. I learned many things which will help me to live a better life I wish I had before. I know there is a place that can help, maybe they can help you? They sure helped me.

Jennifer

Place was a joke. I was already sober (still am)going to this place for PTSD treatment. Bad place. Not worth the money...There are better places out there. This one is a waste.

SF

The property is the only strength, nature has a healing power all by itself sometimes. There is no rhyme or reason for their modalities, except to have clients go over their trauma over and over again, which is traumatizing in itself. My son went to this facility and he is still out there not doing great, he went there twice, so tell me how well this facility did with my son.

Nancy

I just got in more troubles.

J L C

Lots of one on one counseling; strong family program but very expensive

good support system, consistent, but inconvenient business hours. it was a good experience that offered a strong support system

Anon

The programs at The Rufuge are good, but the execution of those programs rarely was. Medical -- even emergency medical -- decisions were often made by nurses and therapists. The psychiatrist didn\'t do my intake until 3 weeks after I arrived (that wasn\'t unusual). Staff openly complained about clients. I\'m sure they help some people, but it was a setback in my treatment. Fortunately, there are better options out there for PTSD/trauma that I\'ve since discovered.

KG

The refuge focuses on the underlying issues of addiction and what drives us to use. I think the facility does an awesome job of personalizing ever patient's treatment. They do intensive trauma work and keep us busy during the day with different activities. The property is beautiful and secluded. I think it is just a wonderful place and I am currently a year sober thanks to the refuge. The interactions between male and females could potentially be distracting.

anonymous

It seemed to be a very supportive environment for our daughter. It gave her the structure she needed at first and then seemed to move to more self directed directions that helped her to gain insight into her situation. This hopefully aided her in making decisions about changes she needed to make to cope with difficulties and to better protect herself from abusive behavior from others around her.

Jon

Very serene place to attend treatment in a beautiful setting.