The Right Step Hill Country in Wimberley, TX

Call (512) 808-4146 to Contact The Right Step Hill Country

440 Fischer Store Rd
Wimberley TX 78676

The Right Step Hill Country Philosophy

The Right Step has been treating patients with chemical dependency issues for more than 20 years. The Texas Hill Country/Wimberley alcohol and drug rehab location offers residential addiction treatment for adult men and women. The program uses a strength-based approach that focuses on positive reinforcement. Situated on a serene, 30-acre campus, the facility provides patients with a comfortable and supportive setting to develop new tools for long-term sobriety.

• Inpatient Detoxification
    In order to assist individuals struggling with uncomfortable and potentially-life threatening withdrawal symptoms, clients are provided medically-assisted detoxification services. Physicians supervise progress and administer medications such as Suboxone® and Campral® to ease discomfort and accelerate the healing process.

• Positive Recovery
    Developed by The Right Step’s chief medical officer, Positive Recovery® is a scientifically validated addiction treatment approach. Specially trained staff help clients focus on their strengths and encourage gratitude in recovery. Approaches include evidence-based traditional therapies, experiential therapies and practical skill-building.

Serene setting

Clinical expertise

Family involvement

Jon Perkins, LCSW

Executive Director

Jon has extensive experience in the behavioral health field. He has held positions in psychiatric hospitals, partial hospitalization programs, intensive outpatient programs, the foster care system, residential treatment and private practice. Before joining The Right Step, Jon served as director of behavioral health in a large non-profit medical system. One of Jon’s clinical and career focuses has been on the relationship between mental health and substance use disorders and treating individuals who struggle with these co-occurring issues. Jon received a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Centre College and a master’s degree in social work from the University of Louisville.

Jason Powers, M.D.

Clinical Director

Dr. Powers joined Right Step and Promises Austin as chief medical officer in 2006. Originally trained and board certified in family medicine, Dr. Powers re-dedicated his career to helping addicts and their families after he personally faced addiction in 2003. He is now also board certified in addiction medicine and develops programs that help addicted individuals and their families embrace the healing path of recovery. Dr. Powers has been recognized four times as a top addiction doctor by H Texas Magazine, and is currently secretary/treasurer of the Texas chapter of the American Society of Addiction Medicine and a local expert for The Partnership at Drugfree.org. Dr. Powers is also the author of the comprehensive book about addiction When the Servant Becomes the Master.

ABOUT THE RIGHT STEP HILL COUNTRY IN WIMBERLEY, TX

The Right Step Hill Country, located in Wimberley, Texas, offers residential and detoxification treatment to adults struggling with substance abuse and dual diagnosis. The facility sits on thirty acres of Texas hill country located halfway between San Antonio and Austin. The Right Step has fifteen other locations throughout Texas.

The residential treatment program lasts 30 days varies in length depending on the client’s needs. The Right Step uses the 12-Steps as a general philosophy while incorporating a variety of other treatment modalities, including a shame-resilience curriculum called The Daring Way™ and Positive Recovery®, a program developed by The Right Step’s own chief medical officer. In Positive Recovery, the focus is not merely on abstinence but on discovering meaning and purpose in life post-recovery. The rehab also uses trauma-based therapies such as eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR).

According to The Right Step’s website, the building blocks of treatment also include group therapy, educational groups, family therapy (including a family therapy day and family aftercare), and regular individual therapy. The facility’s website also notes that creative therapies, meditation, and a fitness program are offered.

The Right Step operates an array of outpatient and aftercare options in urban hubs throughout Texas. All residents who complete the residential program at any location are eligible for a free, two-year aftercare program consisting of weekly support groups. Some locations offer a 12-month continuing care services — called Javelin™ Continuing Care — which links each graduate with a coach who checks in regularly via phone, text, and email.

The treatment team at The Right Step Hill Country includes a medical doctor, a doctor of psychology, a licensed clinical social worker, and a registered nurse.

The facility sits on a 30-acre campus in Wimberley, Texas. Residents are housed in gender-separate cottages and can enjoy a swimming pool, a fitness room, and a sports court, or spend their free time strolling the grounds.

At the time of this writing there have been eight alumni polled by Rehabs.com. Six of the eight reviewers said they would recommend The Right Step Hill Country to a friend or loved one considering treatment. Six anonymous clients said the facility was affordable or worth the cost of treatment, and seven said that facility staff are experienced and well-trained.

When asked about strengths of the facility, alumni said they felt staff truly cared for their well-being and that the secluded location and small group size helped them maintain a focus on recovery. When asked about facility weaknesses, the reviewers complained about the short program length of 30 days and long drives to 12-step meetings in the evenings. One alum said there were a lot of clients sent to the facility from the department of corrections. Another alum added to her review, saying, “I went in only thinking I was going to stay a few days for detox, but the caring staff convinced me to stay one day at a time. I felt safe and comfortable there immediately.”

At the time of this writing there has been one family member of a client polled by Rehabs.com. The mother of an alum said she was not sure she would recommend the facility to others. The reviewer said she was involved in helping her daughter pay for treatment, visited her daughter during treatment, and stayed in regular contact with her throughout the program. She said the facility appeared to match up with how it was described on the website or other marketing materials.

The reviewer added that she she did not know whether her daughter benefited from the care she received at The Right Step Hill Country. She added additional commentary, writing, “I thinks most 2o something young adults need more than 28 day in rehab to be effective, it helped her realize here was a problem and talk about it but it didn't help her stay away for the temtations.”

The Right Step accepts a number of insurance providers.

Published on November 2017

It is not strictly 12 step based but suggested alongside their �Positive Recovery� program. Any assigned homework or treatment plan work is not enforced. encourages a structured life. Weakness were staff, amenities are broken.

This place has help me out so much. I’m very for everything they have done for me. The people here about me and what I was going through.

From Bourbon Street New Orleans to Serenity, The Right Step in Wimberley was the best choice I've ever made in my struggle with a daily meth addiction! I was admitted 1 week after Mardi Gras 2015, now it's Dec 2017 and I'm chairing Narcotics Anonymous meetings thanks to the foundation of my recovery at The Right Step. If you're struggling with an addiction please know you're worthy of a life without active addiction. My blessing to you...may your tomorrows always be better than your yesterdays.

Great staff. Informative groups

Well it would be nice if they bad a program for people like me who can't afford Insurance and don't haveoney

The Right Step was My Second Recovery center to attend with in a 12 month time period.. The Right Step was A+ from check in to graduation day. The staff was really concerned and friendly through out the stay.. There are rules set in place to keep the facility running smoothly.. Not like jail at all.. You are treated with respect and as long as you follow the rules and attend all classes and meetings you should be ok.. You have to want to get clean.. You can't go against the grain and exp ct miracles. You actually have to want to change your life.. TRS gives you the knowledge and to tools to do just that.. Once graduated I highly recommend joining Javelin services before you ever step foot off of the property.. It is a program that will hold you accountable for the next 13 months.. Like I said, I was an addict for 30 years and I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.. The Right Step helped my to become a sober and productive individual.. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.. WORK THE PROGRAM AND PARTICIPATE IN EVERYTHING THEY HAVE TO OFFER.. IF YOU WORK THE PROGRAM IT WILL WORK FOR YOU..!! WIMBERLY, TX. WAS A VERY COMFORTABLE STAY.. THE FOOD, ATMOSPHERE AND STAFF WERE AMAZING.

A decent facility

I'm very happy to have gone there... It was exactly what I needed. I flew half way across the country for a secluded, focused place to get started. Still have 2 friends from there who I keep in touch with along with my counselor. My counselor was helpful and tough when I was there. I talk to him like a friend and mentor now 18 months later.

I know there are many places out there and it is hard to find the right one, but as for me, I chose Hill Country because I could feel that they really care about us.

If you are willing to help yourself and come out of denial, you can be helped here.

The facility is in a remote area. It is a small facility. The communication by phone is difficult. Every time I called in to reach my daughter they put a message on a board. The problem is calling out is a problem the phones reception is really really bad. All phones and communication devices are taken away from you when you enter into the facility but the problem is when you need to make any kind of arrangements when you are in the facility it is extremely difficult. That would be my biggest complaint.

I would not recommend. I put myself into outpatient care to help me stay sober after they released me. I was treated like an inmate. A lot of department of corrections patients. Food is terrible. ... Counselors said I was doing well so insurance did not cover after 3 weeks.

12-step based.

I went through detox and the full residential program and left with a lot of tools, support, and renewed confidence in myself. Being immersed in recovery was an awesome experience... I have stayed in touch with my counselor and a couple of friends... I have no doubt that the experience gave me the foundation to move my life forward in sobriety.

I would have gone in sooner but was too scared my daughter would be taken from me by her father that I just kept saying I was choosing to do the drug and I could stop any time if I wanted, but I didn't want to. A year into my downward spiral I had to stop and I couldn't do it by myself. I bit the bullet, told my daughters, dad, and stepmom about my problem and the next morning bright and early, was up and dressed and packed and heading to the right step facility in Houston. scared to freaking death. I vowed to get sober and stay sober for the rest of my life. Awesome people awesome doctors, and awesome care and new beginnings.

Like jail.

I went in only thinking I was going to stay a few days for detox, but the caring staff convinced me to stay one day at a time. I felt safe and comfortable there immediately. I'm still sober 4.5 years later

Do research on facilities and then admit yourself to it immediately. With your will to beat this and recover, do not hesitate!

They worked with me on payment.

Left early because of money....good counselors.

Great place, super staff.

Nice facility and caring staff, (but) my daughter needed follow up and more than the 28 day insurance would cover. It was not enough to make a big difference...I think most 20-something young adults need more than 28 day in rehab to be effective, it helped her realize there was a problem and talk about it but it didn't help her stay away from the temptations (when she was out...)