The River Source

16286 South Sunland Gin Road, Arizona City, Arizona, 85123

4.4

About The River Source

Our philosophy is one of holistic healing. Our addiction treatment center focuses on strengthening the mind, body, spirit and the emotional well being of an individual. We believe the disease of chemical dependency centers in the mind, therefore “our thinking” must be changed for successful recovery to take place. Although the body may be damaged by substance abuse, we know it can be healed through a combination of medical & naturopathic detox, nutritional therapy and an individualized exercise program. Meditation and yoga help reconnect the mind and body, as well as increase the feeling of emotional wellness. Working a 12-step program leads to a spiritual awakening that delivers fellowship. Through our holistic drug and alcohol dependency program, our clients gain physical, mental, and emotional tools to live a purposeful and fulfilling life in recovery. We at The River Source provide our patients with a world-renowned holistic approach to mind, body, and spirit wellness. We know that getting help for yourself or a loved one can be costly, and that is why our mission is to provide a safe and nurturing environment, along with a quality program, which addresses the needs of the whole person at an affordable cost.

Residential Treatment

Detox

Though not all rehab facilities offer “medical detoxification,” all people with an addiction to drugs or alcohol will experience intense physical and emotional changes and discomfort as their bodies react to withdrawal of the addictive substance. Many people use the term “detox” to refer to the period of time (ranging from a few days to a week) when the body is reacting to an addict’s decision to stop using.

• JCAHO Accredited

Financial Details
  • Up to 60%

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT THE RIVER SOURCE - ARIZONA CITY

Located 30 minutes outside Arizona City, Ariz., The River Source is one of the 78 (22.9 percent) of Arizona treatment facilities that provide residential treatment for adults struggling with substance abuse. The center is also one of the 201 (58.9 percent) Arizona treatment facilities offering treatment for individuals with co-occurring mental health disorders.

The program specializes in naturopathic and medical care, beginning with detoxification services. There is also a strong emphasis on 12-step processes. A specialized women's track and a Christian-based track are both available. Intensive outpatient programming is offered at the River Source's facility in Mesa.

According to The River Source's website, residential treatment plans at The River Source in Arizona City vary in length from 30 to 90 days. Admission begins with a pre-assessment by phone, and clients can be accepted and transported to the facility within 24 hours. Upon arrival, residents undergo a one-hour intake process before beginning a five-to-ten-day detox program.

Detox services focus on physical comfort during withdrawal from drugs or alcohol. Medication-assisted therapy, such as Suboxone, is available for individuals addicted to opiates. Most residents in detox also receive acupuncture, dry sauna treatment, and nutritional IV infusions, along with individual and group counseling.

Holistic healing is a key aspect of all stages of treatment at the River Source. Yoga, massage therapy, acupuncture, sauna, vitamin shots, and nutritional IVs continue beyond the detox period.

Clients who have received a dual diagnosis of addiction and a mood, anxiety, or personality disorder receive integrated therapy. All clients are expected to participate in a 12-step process, with an emphasis on the first three steps. Family counseling can also be arranged, either on-site or by phone. Counseling sessions typically involve cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

Following residential treatment, clients can continue to receive care by transitioning to the intensive outpatient or day program in Mesa. There, they will have ongoing access to naturopathic treatment and process groups. Aftercare provisions include online therapy sessions, employment support services, alumni connections, and sobriety screenings.

The River Source’s staff is comprised of naturopathic medical doctors and registered nurses, as well as master's-level therapists, licensed substance abuse counselors, and life coaches. The center is also one of the 73 (21.4 percent) of Arizona facilities accredited by The Joint Commission.

Men and women reside in separate living quarters in one main building at the Arizona City facility. Bedrooms are semi-private, and there are communal dining halls, spacious lounges, indoor and outdoor yoga areas, and exercise equipment on facility grounds. The facility's website describes the setting as home-like. Cell phones, laptops, and smoking are permitted, although restrictions apply, and visitation is welcome on weekends after the first week in residence.

The more than 225 alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date gave mostly positive feedback, and most indicated they would recommend The River Source. Over 90 percent awarded four or five out of five stars for the effectiveness of treatment, or provided solidly favorable comments without numerical ratings. A vast majority complimented the staff, most frequently for their empathetic, supportive approach. Several noted the value of staff members being in recovery themselves.

Written comments also frequently reflected the facility's emphasis on 12-step practices. Multiple alumni did note a need for more variety in treatment modalities. Suggestions offered included more group counseling and more physical activity besides yoga.

The rehab center's holistic nature received explicit and favorable comments from about 10 percent of alumni reviewers, who referenced yoga and connection with God in particular. Even more reviewers cited their experience of fellowship and connections with peers as a highlight. Opinions of The River Source aftercare services were split, however. Of those that referenced aftercare, about one in four were critical. Other complaints, from fewer than five percent of alumni, centered on too many clients in the program and unhelpful treatment.

To date, the 128 individuals who left Google reviews also gave positive feedback, offering an average of 4.7 out of five stars. "They also praised the staff, and some described the treatment as life saving. "Definitely helped save my life. So grateful for this treatment center and the people who worked there when I was there," one alum wrote in a representative review. [1]

The three loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave consistent five-star ratings for overall treatment effectiveness and indicated they would recommend the facility. Awarding the facility five-star ratings for the level of family participation, counseling options, and co-occurring treatment, one loved one wrote: "Stress free, amazing staff, really care about your health and well being."

The sole staff member polled by Rehabs.com awarded five-star ratings for the facility's cleanliness, holistic offerings, and the likelihood they'd recommend the facility to others. The staff member described the facility's staff as a "true family."

According to The River Source's website, most private insurance plans are accepted, and financing options are available through arrangement with M-Lend Finance.

Accreditations & Licenses
  • NAATP
  • JCAHO
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

4.4/5
    4.4/5
    4.7/5
    4.1/5

Tomorrow is my 90th day of sobriety and I got out 59 days ago. Riversource and the staff saved my life and showed me why I want to be alive
  • AB
    Everyone here is very accommodating and friendly.
  • EC
    Excellent staff who truly care about patients, fulfilling activities, and groups. Tons of support!
  • KM
    Staff is supportive and River Source has comfortable therapeutic accommodations. Meals were great.
  • CM
    I appreciate the floor staff and the medical staff was very attentive. I recommend this facility for anyone who really wants help.
  • SB
    The River Source met all my treatment needs. The staff was very friendly, kind, and helpful. The treatment I received was very beneficial and the 12 step program helped me tremendously.
  • SC
    Fabulous facility. I could not have been happier with my treatment and my care.
  • Kayla
    This was a really spiritual experience for me. The staff was amazing and I would recommend this treatment center to anyone whom is feeling broken as well as whomever needs support.
  • Amy
    My goals and expectations were met through counseling, Big Book Study, and connection with higher power. After care was very beneficial to think about what I am going to do after leaving here. Having an all women's program was valuable and helped me stay focused on my goals.
  • MW
    AA meetings, lectures were most beneficial for me.
  • Philomena
    Yes, my goals were met and expectations for treatment. my goals were to learn more coping mechanisms, learn about my addiction and disease and my borderline personality disorder and I did all of that while here.
  • Galina
    Yes, I wanted to make sure that I completed at least steps 4, and 5. everyone was really helpful and I even learned how to do laundry.
  • Keely
    Yes, I love how I was learning how to work through the steps and ask for help.
  • Jessica
    Yes, I have been here before and this time was able to expand on the knowledge that i had previously gained on a much deeper level. More 1:1 conversations, The counselor was awesome.
  • Kelsey
    Yes, I found my higher power here and I have the had that before.
  • KC
    Yes, I learned a lot about myself and the Big book.
  • Kerry
    yes, and then some. When I came in I really didn't believe that i would actually get clean. Now I have such a different outlook and see recovery as not only something that I want but as something that is obtainable.
  • JH
    It's a good fellowship and I really like the staff and my peers. And the massage and exercise and yoga are nice.
  • DC
    I got what I wanted out of the program and did what I came to do.
  • DJ
    I am at my fourth step and have a sponsor. I am started this with great desire.
  • FG
    I feel like this was helpful to get my mind right and to heal and feel like my time was used well.
  • Zz
    I attended 30 day residential program. Traveled out of state and did extensive research on this facility. I was very disappointed in the staff and care i received. For the money spent and the picture painted on the website I went in with high expectations and feeling comfortable with the choice but by the end of my stay I can say expectations were set too high and I was sadly very disappointed. I do not recommend this place. The amenities were at par but that is not what i was truly looking for in this recovery process. They are lacking in multiple areas and very disorganized. It was truly hard focusing on healing when the distractions at the facility were constantly the issue. Needless to say....i felt let down and disappointed. The website is extremely misleading as well.
  • Taylor
    I learned more about my disease and myself and gained tools
  • Jadyn
    My stay exceeded all my expectations it really helped me to get excited about my sobriety
  • Victoria
    Yes. I just feel I was explained the steps and worked through them and found a better understanding of myself and how to continue to stay sober.
  • MJO
    When I first came in I was expecting to just get sober and was not expecting to get as much tools and education that I did. i did not really know what a 12 step program was. I am happy with what I got form this program.
  • Erin
    Staff was wonderful and easy to work with. They were always there when I needed something and very supportive. I got a lot out of group therapy and was thrilled with the sisterhood that we have here.
  • KH
    very interesting and got into the groove of things within the first week. My stay was fabulous.
  • IK
    It seemed like it took forever, but it is a work in progress
  • CS
    My experience at The River Source was positive. I learned a lot about my disease, and the recovery process. Staff were very knowledgeable about recovery process.
  • Amanda
    i LIKED THAT THE STAFF HAD PERSONAL EXPERIENCE IN ADDICTION AND ALCOHOLISM. THE NEW COUNSELOR IS PROFESSIONAL, KNOWLEDGEABLE, AND EFFECTIVE. KITCHEN ROCKS. LEARNED HOW TO SURRENDER, AND COPE WITH LIFE'S STRUGGLES THROUGH THE PROGRAM.
  • Teri
    Very educational, I felt safe and nurtured. the Staff was very responsive.
  • Edwina
    It's been quite an experience. this is the first time I have been given any options or feedback on what is best for me.
  • Jessica
    Everyone was really welcoming. Expectations and guidelines were explained and enforced.
  • Sheryl
    This has been the best facility I went to. very thorough on doing the the first three steps which are very important the emphasis on sponsorship and getting connected which is very important after leaving.
  • Michael
    I have no clue where my life would be without this program! I really miss the staff and am so thankful for everyone of them! Miss ya Heath!
  • BR
    You turned my life around. I never thought I could experience the feelings i have now walking out of here.
  • Alex
    staff was very helpful, friendly and I loved how everyone here is in recovery themselves.
  • Denise
    The program works really well if you are willing to come in and work it.
  • Brittany
    I was say that I am really thankful and grateful for the staff they are always there and willing to help with anything. the whole treatment program really helped me break through a lot of walls that I shad up which was crucial to my recovery
  • Jordan
    I was court ordered to treatment however I found a closer connection to my higher power and realized that my HP brought me here to safe my life. My experience at TRS was amazing because it gave me the tools to find my purpose in life and to know that I am worth living a happy life. I would recommend TRS to anyone seeking help for their addiction.
  • Donnna
    Came in scared full of denial thought I was above it all. Leaving with tools, and aware of my addiction and knowing that addiction does not discriminate.
  • Mai
    My experience at TRS was very eye opening. I found i tot be very beneficial in understanding my addiction and finding a solution.
  • SS
    I really enjoyed my time here and feel I have the tools I need to stay sober.
  • JG
    Staff is very understanding and caring in regards to recovery. They have provided me with many options and tools to successfully recover. River Source has consistently gone out of their way to ensure my health and comfort.
  • Stephanie
    My experience was overall amazing. I originally came for a detox and ended up staying for 30 days.
  • Timothy
    When I first got here to River source I had no hope or faith in my recovery. I had a good attitude in getting help but didn't think I would make this far. After my first 30 days here I knew I was able and needed to stay at least another two weeks to another thirty days. I thank the staff entirely along with all of my piers who have helped me thru all of these days of getting treatment, and suggest anyone who needs help with a drug problem is referred here to River source. I thank everybody so much for all of the help that I have gotten from all of you.
  • Joshua
    The riversource stresses the importance of reconnecting with god, something I found to be vital for recovery. The staff is very passionate about their jobs and understanding of the struggles that the patients are going through. The stay I had at the riversource was definitely a 9/10.
  • Alex
    Great facility, wonderful staff & councilors. The medical assistance is top notch, stabilized my high blood pressure within the first week. 12 steps groups create a strong fellowship between the patients. Guest speakers were amazingly helpful & insightful. The kitchen is willing to accommodate most dietary needs & daily yoga has been extremely beneficial to my body and soul. Not to mention the beautifully meditative weekend hikes in the gorgeous Arizona sun. All & all an amazing step in my recovery. It works if you work it.
  • christopher
    I highly recommend the 30 to 90 day stay at the River Source. It has been a life changing experience for me. I did a detox at the River Source a year ago and stayed in my room and isolated. I thought I just needed my health and I could get back to normal. Ignoring medical advice to stay longer. Boy was I wrong. A year later I was back and worse. The difference this time is I stopped doing what I wanted and listened and was willing to do anything to save my life. And that's what River Source did for me.
  • Steven
    I am forever grateful for the River Source and their program. I was completely against the idea of the 12 steps before attending their in patient program. In hindsight I am so glad that they pushed me to get steps 1, 2 and 3 done in my stay. After finishing the required step work for the program I found that I was willing and ready to continue the steps with my sponsor. The staff is supportive and empathetic, the groups are productive and free from judgment. If you are seeking treatment for yourself or a loved one I would highly recommend this facility.
  • JB
    The staff was very supporting, the brotherhood that I gained from my peers was very beneficial. TRS helped me find my true self. The open-mindedness on life helped me to open my eyes on how I want my life to be. I would recommend anyone who is seeking help for their addiction to give TRS a chance.
  • Hannah
    My experience at The River Source was delightful. I especially liked the book studies, first step presentation, and the scheduled healthy food accommodations.
  • OA
    I learned a lot while at The River Source and working through my steps and being held accountable. i never thought I would have committed to my recovery and signed up for after care and sober living.
  • michael
    I was spiritualy lost and broken when I arrived. The River Source program helped me to find a power greater than myself. I was able to build a solid 12 step program foundation. When I arrived I had no sponsor no home group no hope. When I left I had all these things.
  • MNF
    I came into River Source against my will, did not want to be here at first, then as I woke up about a week into my stay, I saw something unexpected, a room full of happy people excited about recovery. So I started to listen and to work the program which had never been asked of me at other treatment centers and the change in my perspective was noticeable and rapid for me. I am now glad I came and have a solid plan for leaving here.
  • Ethan
    Great Program. Safe Detox. 12 Step Based, Extremely Honest Program. This Place Saved my Life and Countless Others. I recommend the River Source to anyone with a Alcohol or Drug Addiction.
  • WJR
    I arrive at River Source a broken Man due to my alcoholism, but with in minutes of arriving I know I was a home. Experiencing the 1st step process I got a great understanding of my Powerless and Unmanagability of my life was priceless.. With hard work and open mind you too can expect the miracle..
  • GD
    I really am grateful and appreciative to all of the staff ,members who have taken me in and given me the hope and confidence I need to make something out of myself.
  • KS
    My experience at the river source has had it's ups and downs but leaving I can say that I am eternally grateful.
  • KLC
    I loved the BHt's and most of the staff here. They are very supportive and understanding while still holding me accountable.
  • Jonathan M.
    First off I have been to several treatment centers due to my addiction and I must say that this is the best program that I have been too. When I came here I was hopeless and thought I would never regain hope again to get my addiction under control. Well that all changed as I went through my treatment. I have been given a spiritual tool kit to use in my recovery that Riversource has taught me. I also have found hope and motivation to better my life. After my 90 days here I continued on to sober living and I.O.P. I highly recommend this facility to anyone who is struggling with an addiction. I thank God everyday for the fact that he led me to Riversource to seek help for my addiction.
  • April
    My experience was good with The River Source. The staff were nice and helpful. I love them. The Support here was great. The Group therapy was good.
  • Aaron D Davis
    This place was a god send, I know it is a hard program to get into so for in a drunk moment of desperation not only did I get in but my brother as well and the admitted us both. Soon to find out that, that doesn't always happen and we are one of the first to come through as brothers and successfully go through the program without being detrimental to others or to each other. All I know is how extremely lucky we are to have had this experience and that with the tools gained here we can push through this fatal disease together without leaning on each other as being dependent on one an other. we both took our own program were in different groups and have come out better stronger individuals. God truly is the biggest one to thank for allowing this all to happen. I would encourage anyone who is going through addiction issues to seek this place. It truly has a different feel and atmosphere then any other place, walking in the doors you can instantly feel the connection this brotherhood had to offer and how everyone is there to help you in your personal recover as well you can help others.
  • Steven
    My experience at River Source is definitely one for the books! The staff was knowledgeable , friendly, and a huge part in my recovery. I enjoyed the fact that 90% off the staff are recovering users themselves,the story or issues I was dealing with they were able to relate to. This is my first experience at an residential faculty, I would recommend this place to all individual that are honestly looking for help in recovery. leaving this place in about 54hrs is a healthy fear but with the tools and the support system I've built here I feel ready to keep the napping monster napping. I will miss the people that have help me grow in my recovery and the stories they have shared. I have opened up to the group of men here, I've shared personal stories that I never thought id talk about to an other person. I have found my higher power and talk with him every day and night. I will use the power of God's love and share it with others. I'm excited to start my new chapter in my life. this chapter will be a sober one with a life time of sobriety.
  • Nate
    I am very grateful to have had this experience. I really learned a lot about myself and would definitely recommend River Source to anyone seeking treatment.
  • JT
    I would recommend the river source for anyone who is struggling with addiction. It is a great foundation for starting a life sober.
  • G.D.G.
    I decided I needed help with my alcoholism but had absolutely no knowledge of how the twelve steps actually work. I was familiar with River Source as I did a 5 day detox in 2015 and I couldn't find a treatment center in Florida that would accept me imidiately. When I got to river source I was ready to put %100 percent of myself into the program but I didn't really know what that meant. After I completed my first step I realized so much more about myself and realized that I had a more serious problem than I had recognized. It was the most crucial point of my recovery as I found I had all these things I needed to work on. I gave myself to the program, I found and cultivated my relationship with my Higher Power, and I learned patience and knowledge with each step I completed as well as encouragement and influence to continue improving my recovery. I got through all twelve steps and I have a better understanding of myself and I will keep working the steps and become a sponsor Immediately to continue my recovery and to give back and help others who were in my shoes. I sincerely thank River Source, all the staff, and my peers for being a huge part of my recovery and I would absolutely recommend The River Source to those who are in need of recovery. Thank you River Source.
  • HJC
    Riversource was a positive first step into recovery. In my 30 days in treatment, I learned the basics of the Big Book, received a sponsor, and met other bright women that have helped me to stay sober and motivated.
  • Todd
    In my experience at the River Source I have learned that honesty is a very important part of recovery. My Faith in Jesus Christ has grown tremendously and knowing that if I am spiritual fit I cannot and will not relapse. My chains of addiction have been broken and I have found my freedom to the love of Christ. I would defiantly recommend the River Source to anyone seeking help for their addiction.
  • Collin
    The River Source was a great blessing and resource for my recovery. The staff is a bit overworked, yet they really care about you, your struggle, and your recovery. The food is better than most places and they try to accommodate for any/all dietary restrictions. The best part is the friendships and brotherhood that is formed between all the clients. You know you are truly accepted, loved, and cared about. I would recommend The River Source to anyone I know that is seeking help with this disease.
  • Jeff
    The River Source offered me a second chance at recovery. The highly structured program was crucial for me because I had very little structure before arriving. I feel that the program not only helped my recovery, but helped me to become a productive member of society. I would definitely recommend The River Source program to others in the future.
  • Adam
    The river source is a great place for people who feel that they have hit rock bottom, like myself. When I came through these door I felt like I knew it all. I was shown I didn't, but working my recovery here and putting in as much work as I was willing to do. I got so much out from here. So I highly recommend this treatment facility, not just because this is my first one I ever been too but that here I really felt like I got the help I needed to be successful in my recovery.
  • CP
    The fellowship at the River Source was beneficial as it brought me out of myself. I enjoyed my individual counseling session with Jamar every week. The structure of the program helped me learn accountability and responsibility. I would recommend anyone seeking help for their addiction to give River Source a try.
  • SC
    My experience at The River Source was good. I would recommend them for the residential care. Outside sponsorship was very helpful.
  • Jaime
    I would recommend the River Source for treatment. Staff is positive and comforting to your needs. If you are serious about sobriety you can achieve it at River Source.
  • Gabby
    I feel that this place is very serious about recovery, it is a beautiful place and great sponsors and staff.
  • Remy
    The medical care at TRS was very helpful. They really cared about how I was feeling. The groups including the step work were very beneficial. The staff at TRS is very helpful. I would most defiantly recommend the River Source to any seeking help for their addiction.
  • Dana
    My experience at the River Source was excellent. I feel more stable and that I have learned more about myself in 30 days than other treatments in the past. they pout a strong focus on step work and 122 step meetings which is where the recovery process happens. I would high;y recommend River Source if you are looking to recover from addiction, and start a new way of living.
  • Alvaro D
    I enjoyed my stay at River Source. The staff was great. The brotherhood and fellowship formed between myself and my fellow peers was amazing. I enjoyed the food. Accommodations were good. I would highly recommend the River Source to anyone suffering from addiction whether it be for alcohol or drugs. I felt my needs were met and was taken care of.
  • zac n
    As soon as I fist stepped in to river source , I was greeted with smiles and very friendly staff, they made sure I had everything I needed , I could feel the love already and the other patient's introduced themselves right away, I would definitely recommend river source to anyone seeking help with any addiction.
  • WG
    I like the 12 step program of the River Source. The brotherhood. The sponsorship and the field trips. I would recommend this program to anybody that is suffering and wants to get help.
  • Denis
    i would recommend the River Source the program and staff are great. The counselor was very helpful and understanding and caring. Staff can relate and understand because of their experience.
  • paul mcglone
    i enjoyed my stay here , the staff seem to really care about us and how were doing.
  • Joseph
    I loved River Source, the workers helped me out a lot. I hope this place stays open for a long long time because it really works and it brought me closer to my Higher Power.
  • westun schuetz
    i highly reccomend the river source. they have helped me so much with my issues. the program they provide is amazing and has given me a second chance at life. i am very greatful to have had the oppurtunity to come to the river source.
  • JB
    I was an alcoholic for more than 2 years. I wasted my college years on the wrong side of the fence and found myself in one of the most challenging situations sometime back when I was out of money, without a college degree and had no way to pay my bills or even for my addiction! I was signed up for the River Source’s rehabilitation programme and realized where I had been going wrong. It is not the habit that is to blame, but the mindset. Thank you, River Source.
  • LT
    had a great experience, the program here is very unique, the step 1 process was a different approach, and i love IV vitamin therapy! the natural approach was cool and i loved that we get outings!!
  • Debra