Three Rivers Behavioral Health in West Columbia, SC

Motivational Enhancement Techniques
Family Education Groups
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

ABOUT THREE RIVERS BEHAVIORAL HEALTH

Three Rivers Behavioral Health is a psychiatric hospital in West Columbia, S.C., located next to the Lexington Medical Center. Substance abuse treatment consists of medical detox, short-term residential rehab, and outpatient-based programs for adults struggling with addiction, mental illness, and co-occurring disorders. To treat adolescents and seniors, the facility also offers age-specific inpatient programs. The facility accepts both involuntary and voluntary admissions.

Before beginning treatment programming, patients undergo a free initial assessment conducted by a Three Rivers Behavioral Health psychiatric nurse or licensed social worker. The assessment helps clinicians to determine individual needs and develop a personalized plan of care.

Three Rivers follows the disease concept of addiction, with an emphasis on self-realization and relapse prevention. Patients receive medication education and management and participate in group therapy sessions. Although the facility’s website does not specify which psychotherapeutic modalities are used, participation in Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA) is referenced. Loved ones are encouraged to participate in the treatment process, with the patient’s consent.

Once discharged, inpatient clients are typically recommended to continue treatment through an outpatient-based program. The partial hospitalization program (PHP) focuses on psychiatric treatment, while the facility's IOP has both a chemical dependency and psychiatric track. PHP is held on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and includes process groups, psychoeducation classes, and weekly meetings with a psychiatrist. Multi-family education sessions are also available.

Clients in IOP meet three times a week and participate in such programming as motivational enhancement techniques, 12-step education and meetings, and continuing care planning. Day and evening IOP schedules are available.

The Three Rivers Behavioral Health website lists five board-certified psychiatrists on staff. The multi-disciplinary treatment team also includes social workers, activity therapists, and nurses.

Pictures published on the Three Rivers Behavioral Health website revealed a modern, clinical facility with sparsely decorated, shared bedrooms and an outdoor seating area. The campus also includes classrooms, lounges, and a pond. Residents have access to a community television and books provided by the facility. Worship services are held on-site on Sundays.

At the time of this writing, Rehabs.com has received feedback from 21 former clients of Three Rivers Health. Twelve reviews leaned favorable and nine were more critical. A majority of perspectives shared were on inpatient services, from a mix of adolescents and adults.

Data from 10 alumni polled more extensively revealed several positive trends. All 10 gave a rating of five out of five stars for the facility’s dual diagnosis treatment, and all but one rated the staff’s level of training and experience with five stars. All alumni who mentioned the program’s group components were complimentary, even the more critical alumni. "The group counseling is great. I quite my addictive behavior," one anonymous alum wrote. A couple of reviewers described a lack of care from staff and one alum who was otherwise positive wrote: “The staff could benefit from more empathy exercises.”

Four alumni also complained about dirty conditions, and four reported that the facility was physically cold. Nevertheless, the average rating from 10 alumni for the facility’s cleanliness and upkeep was 4.1 stars. All but one alum polled on the affordability of treatment also granted a maximum five stars.

Opinions were split about evenly between positive, mixed, and negative from the seven loved ones polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing.

Reflecting this range were ratings of 2.5 to 2.8 stars for metrics measuring affordability, counseling options, and family participation. The seven family and friends came closer to alumni perspectives on the staff’s experience, offering an average rating of 3.5 stars. Comments ranged from praising to complaining about the staff, including a description of staff too busy to listen. The seven loved ones rated the facility’s cleanliness with 3.3 stars on average.

Although Rehabs.com has yet to receive employee feedback to date, secondary sources revealed moderately positive ratings for the facility. On Indeed, 21 employees gave the facility an average rating of 3.2 out of five stars[1]. Many reviewers tended to praise the dedication and training of co-workers, though some reported a stressful work environment. "Overall, staff is very professional and well-educated," one representative reviewer wrote.

According to its website, Three Rivers is an approved provider for most major insurers and managed care plans. Self-payment is also accepted.

[1] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Three-Rivers-Behavioral-Health/reviews

Published on February 2018

L.D.

I was treated very poorly and without respect. I am a professional with a 4-yr college degree and didn't like being treated like I had a moral shortcoming. I have the disease of addiction. In three days, we were allowed outside for 45 minutes total. Facility was extremely cold and the food was extremely salty . If you got to know the staff, they began to treat you like a human being. They're not all bad.

The treatment at this facility seems better than other similar facilities. The patients were given chances to socialize as well as exercise. Security was a top priority here. The facility has very good physicians and counselors. The layout of the facility helps aid patient recovery. The facility is limited in space.

It was outpatient treatment and was very helpful.

Tina

Wish they had dual diagnosis. The doctors and therapists were knowledgeable. No exercise, or means of relaxation for anxiety. Cost, and ways to pay.

Brad

Cold and dirty... Obviously run to squeeze money out of people. Genuinely surprised anyone would think of using this facility....

BS

Filthy, cold, and full of awful staff. I\'ve never seen anywhere less likely to help people who are ill. Should be closed down.

RC

This place is a disguise...

John

Gave me some stupid diagnosis while knowing my parents aren\'t educated well on mental disorders. Now whenever I behave badly they go \"BPD!\". They don\'t care about you here and most of the time the staff will call you names and worse. Don\'t admit your kid here.

seaff great staff and community involvement

There were no strengths Not productive, verbally abusive, dirty, poor staff and poor accommodations I would never suggest the use of this facility- it sent my loved one into an even further downward spiral

participation distance from my home wasn't the best was like a vacation

They help detox It is always cold inside. The program in the facility was very structured. Most of the counseling was done in a group setting. There was little one on one counseling at all.

Excellent aftercare program. It worked for me !@!!!!

Attentiveness Impact wasn't strong.The staff could benefit from more empathy exercises. It's inconsistent across the staff.

Teresa

I was sent to Three Rivers,I had no clue where I was because I was asleep for the ride.When I woke up and found out where I was.I wanted to call my husband.They asked me if I knew the number,I told them I was having trouble remembering the number.I told them it should be in my file.They would not give it to me.They did not even help me call out when I did remembering the number.I had to ask like four times.Someone told me what to do.9-1-803 then my number.I had to give My husband a long number so they could find out what was going on.They had no clue I was transferred from the hospital to Three Rivers.This place is nasty,not clean at all. I felt very scared and didn\'t know if I should sit or stand.I feel this place needs to be reported for not santatising.I don\'t understand why they could not or would not give me my husband cell phone number.The people were all crazy.I was sleep deprived....... Sent because of my actions.Thank God I have a husband that loves me and as soon as I got in contact with him he was there the next morning to get me.It took three hours before I got to go home because they had to ask me a lot of questions and found I should not be there at all.

Skh

I have personal experience at three rivers and it is horrible. You are treated like you are in jail and little to no treatment given. When you report that someone in the facility is bothering you instead of them trying to help you and support you I was told \"suck it up\". Treatment is good for anyone in need but I do not recommend anyone sending a loved one to three rivers!

Kia

This place is HORRIBLE. they are doing nothing to help my sister. They are a horrible establishment with horrible workers that are rude. My little sister has bad hygiene. No one is paying attention to her. They are punishing her for acts that are harmless and they are lying to my mother and family about info involving my sister. I do not recommend this place to anyone who wants to seek help. This place needs to be closed down after carefully being evaluated by DSS

Phillip

My parents sent me there because I had a fight with them and lost my temper. I had a history of mental illness so my parents used that excuse but it was different. They were mad at me for dropping out of school. Since I was a teenage dropout, I had to stay with the adults. The patients were bad and they picked on me.

Norwood

I found everyone (staff) that I came in contact with to be professional, adept, respectful, and sincerely caring, even when it was obvious to even me, that it was challenging to do so. I would especially like to acknowledge some by name and unit. CSU the giant and corey, intimidating and knowledgeable, but responsive to personal issues and requests, My Social Worker , A Group Leader and the Dr. is the best at what she does, I had enough to know, she takes patient input to concern, then makes her call but it works out. My social worker is the epitome of what a social worker should strive to be, effective at solving patient problems, efficient, caring, yet not to be toyed with. The group leader took time from an obviously busy schedule to repeatedly offer one on one calm down, think about it, there is a positive way out sessions in addition to thought provoking classes. In summation I would like to say that the individuals at this facility set the bar on the types of care you provide.

Joe

I\'m not sure where these negative comments come from but I will assume they are from folks who were involuntarily admitted. This place saved my life! I\'m a guy in his mid 50\"s who had an alcohol problem. It was destroying my life and I could not, not would not, stop. I am a former athlete and bodybuilder so discipline and strength were not my problem. This chemical had taken over me and controlled me. I was scared to death about the symptoms of detox and had already proved to myself I could not do it alone. Asking for help is a difficult thing in my family.The meds were great because it allayed my fears of the pain of detox. The group meetings were also great because it helped me identify and confront the underlying emotional issues that led me to drink. The staff, every single one of them, truly cared about me and what they were doing. The food was very good. Also, I developed intimate relationships in a very short period of time because we were all going through the same thing and fighting the same problem, though the substances could be different, and even beyond the groups. we leaned on each other. If alcohol or drugs have taken over your life then you have to distance yourself from that chemical and the clarity you develop will allow you to look at yourself from the outside in. Alcohol and drugs make you only see from the inside out. I would never defeated my demons without in-patient treatment and the help of the staff. I will say it again, shame on those with their negative comments.I would bet, and I don\'t say this lightly and hope I\'m wrong, probably are not clean. I can promise this, if you don\'t deal with this chemical problem, it will one day take you over and hopefully you are not dead, it will only get harder and harder to fix it. Again, I want to express my gratitude to all the staff at Three Rivers, and would, without reserve, recommend it to anybody, even members of my own family. If not for them I truly believe I would have drank myself to death. God bless all the folks at Three Rivers for what you do!

Mental health was a strength of the facility. Patients can't be forced to have treatment. They must come on their own accord.

It was affordable and had great connectivity. However, they needed more exercise, leisure and holistic opportunities.

The group counseling is great. I quite my addictive behavior.

They have a great success rate. I stayed abstinent for 2 years before I relapsed.

Stop drugging up your clients, they are in there for help. They drug them up to sleep all day everyday; it was useless, I had sent my sister there but now she is back to cutting herself and going crazy again. The only strength of the facility was their friendliness.

It has been an experience that I don't want to go through again. However, it was a good rehab to go to. Stay off drugs, they are bad.

I believe the group meeting in the mornings was beneficial. However, some staff are too busy to listen to you and let their position go to their head. Most of the classes do give you strength to recover. The medical doctor does do a great exam and the mental doctor does see you often and tires to find the medicine that works for you.

The program works for those who want it. The temperature is cold in there though.

MDM

I was very impressed that most of the counselors and aides had been through their own addictions and were more aware of how I felt as I went through the program.

Marcie

It was not worth the cost! The facilities/food, etc. were disgusting and I was surprised I didn't leave with a MRSA infection. I became extremely ill after the first 7 days and became very dehydrated. ... It was an absolute nightmare.

anonymous

Would never recommend this place. I was severely criticized by staff in my file for following the rules. This does not help one recover.

anonymous

Connected me with out patient care when I left so I could stay clean.