Two Dreams Outer Banks in Corolla, NC

Two Dreams Outer Banks
Corolla NC 27927

Two Dreams Outer Banks Philosophy

Our unique therapeutic approach combines the practice of holistic wellness with groundbreaking clinical research, and provides individuals with the tools for achieving both short-term and long-term recovery.

• Process Abuse Treatment
    Not all addictions involve mood-altering chemicals. The term “process addiction” describes the unhealthy use of behaviors (including eating, gambling, sexual activity, shopping, internet use, etc.) that has spiraled out of control and into the realm of addiction.

• Dual Diagnosis/Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Nutrition

Professional Guidance

Peer Support

ABOUT TWO DREAMS OUTER BANKS

Two Dreams is a substance abuse treatment facility with locations in Illinois, Louisiana, and North Carolina. Two Dreams Outer Banks, which is located off the coast of North Carolina in Corolla, provides residential treatment to adults struggling substance use disorder and co-occurring disorders.

The facility also offers treatment for gambling addiction and video game or Internet use disorder, two specialties offered by just 18 percent and 13 percent of substance abuse treatment facilities in North Carolina, respectively.

Treatment begins with a pre-admission assessment. Clients are required to stay for at least 28 days; however, some may stay in the program for up to 90 days. Two Dreams Outer Banks is one of only 60 non-hospital treatment programs in North Carolina (13 percent) to provide a residential program lasting longer than 30 days.

The program is holistic, evidence-based, and follows a unique, three-phase treatment model that's designed to mimic the "naturally occurring progression of early treatment and recovery."

In addition to group therapy and 12-step meetings, client participate in activities such as art therapy, mindfulness meditation, nutrition planning, and relapse prevention training. Psychiatric services and medication management are also offered at Two Dreams Outer Banks.

The treatment team is led by a physician who was a former president of the American Addiction Society of Medicine. Two Dreams also employs a board-certified psychiatrist with 30 years of experience, along with case managers and therapists. According to the facility, the rehab boasts a staff-to-client ratio of 2:1.

Two Dreams Outer Banks can accommodate up to 10 clients at time and offers private rooms. The facility also has a fully equipped kitchen, an outdoor deck, and a swimming pool, plus on-site exercise and workout facilities. Clients can take advantage of the coastal location by participating in organized activities such as kayaking, surfing, and beach walks.

Of the 10 former clients surveyed by Rehabs.com to date, five gave Two Dreams Outer Banks negative reviews, four gave the rehab positive reviews, and one provided a mixed review. Former clients who disliked their experience complained about run-down facilities, misleading marketing materials, cooking-cutter treatment plans, and a lack of medical staff.

In a review representative of negative feedback, K.L. wrote: "Two Dreams does not offer individualized treatment. In fact, they are grossly understaffed...The facility itself is dirty, amenities are non-existent and the entire program was disorganized." Alum K.H. supported this opinion, offering one-star ratings for the staff's level of training, the effectiveness of lead counselors, and the respect shown to clients. "They are greatly overpriced for what they offer. They failed in treatment," K.H. wrote.

The four former clients who reported positive experiences, on the other hand, described the program as effective, life-changing, and activity-filled. "They guide you to learn how to live sober and do things sober such as cooking, doing fun activities, going to meetings and everything else you would do in normal life," Scott wrote in a review representative of positive feedback.

Two Dreams Outer Banks also received one five-star rating on Google[1] from Tonya, though she did not leave any commentary.

Of the seven friends and family members polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, four gave the facility positive feedback and three gave the rehab negative feedback. Complaints focused on rude staff, poor communication, and a lack of compassion, while satisfied loved ones reported that the staff were helpful and that the rehab offered ample opportunity for families to participate.

Offering perfect five-star ratings for the level of family involvement and staff support, loved one M.J.S. wrote: "Caring Staff and they Work with families very well." However, another loved one gave two stars for these survey metrics and wrote: "Bad experience for our family."

To date, the three staff members polled by Rehabs.com all gave Two Dreams Outer Banks highly positive reviews, praising the facility for its intimate setting and devotion to quality care. "I personally feel that Two Dreams cares deeply for their client’s treatment and recovery and provides individualized attention that you just don’t find just anywhere," A.B. wrote in a representative review.

Two Dreams is not in-network with insurance providers, through its website notes that staff will work with some insurance companies. Financial assistance is reviewed on a case-by-case basis and there is a discount available for clients who commit to 90 days of treatment.

Published on December 2018

This facility relies on false advertising, is over priced, and driven by the profit motive. The staff is under paid, under trained and under appreciated by management. The most effective treatment is provided at frequent AA meetings. The numerous group sessions are not effectively structured by counselors and individual counseling is very limited. Some strengths were: Many staff members were former addicts. Numerous trips to AA meetings. A few counselors were caring. Trips to gym for exercise. Weaknesses were: Limited individual counseling. Group counseling was ineffective. Activities were mainly time fillers, .Staff was under paid resulting in turnover. Zero help with insurance. No contact with medical professionals. Patients prepared their own meals.

Best experience of my life, all the staff was compassionate and help you get to the root cause of alcoholism. They were like angels put there by god to help you get sober. I been in rehab three other times n two dreams was the best. They didn’t treat me like a liar like other rehabs.

1) Billing. This place is very financially driven. They don't process your insurance in any sort of timely manner, which affects your benefits for aftercare as well as any reimbursement for a previous service you may have had. 2) What is advertised on the website is not what uh ou get. There is no psychologist, social worker, or psychiatrist on staff at the program. 3) The clinical director is the glue that holds Two Dreams together. He is phenomenal. 4) The location is really nice, but in order to get to most of the meetings you need to spend at least 2 hours a day in the van 5) I never received a treatment plan. Little communication about goals, what they hope you to be working on, and how you are doing in an ongoing way.

Fired the only good staff member who actually cared for the clients. She was incredible and changed lives yet some people weren’t happy she wouldn’t date them so she got targeted

I had two stays at Two Dreams OBX. My experience was incredible. The groups were very helpful and allowed us to work together which is what recovery is all about. You can't do it alone. Recovery was happening all the time even not in group. They allow you to make mistakes (safely) and learn from them. They guide you to learn how to live sober and do things sober such as cooking, doing fun activities, going to meetings and everything else you would do in normal life. I couldn't imagine a better setting to start the road of recovery. Beach walks in the morning are the best way to start the day. I would recommend Two Dreams OBX to anybody in the horrible grips of addiction. It is possible to stop dreaming to live and live the dream.

Spent two months there. Had no help and no one to prepare meals.

Caring Staff and they Work with families very well

this facility and staff is amazing my young adult son has been there for over 15 months and they have saved his life and bent over backwards to work with our family...I thank god everyday for two dreams giving my son a new direction, truly grateful ....CL. The staff at two dreams have worked with my family for over 15 months and i have no complaints what so ever they are amazing! they gave my son back to me!!..................CL

I was a client at Two Dreams for over a year, and the only failures I experienced could only be attributed to a lack of willingness on l part. This is a great program for anyone who is struggling with their addiction and is willing to put in the work to change. I have made life long friends with clients and staff alike . My stay at Two Dreams is an experience that has changed my life for the better and is something I never wish to forget.

Wonderful Experience. The staff is great.

I was extremely happy with my stay at Two Dreams. I stayed for three months and the care there has totally changed my life. I very much enjoyed the one to one and group therapy sessions, even thought they were at times very emotional too. I was the only non American during my stay and I can highly recommend Two Dreams to anybody with addictions.

Two Dreams is a well rounded facility that ensures the best treatment for each indivisual.

I have worked at TDOB now fod 2 years, I would like to take a moment about how structured the schedule is regarding mental, physical, and spritual guidance. Clienta get an abundance of exposure to AA/NA meetings and are encouraged to get a sponsor and beging working on the 12 steps. When a client really takes the program serious I have seen amazing changes and have heard of great sucess. I think the group setting really helps those that feel alone or indifferent in life bond and get positive reinforcement from each other as well as through staff.

The staff was nice and tried to help but the cleaning company was very rude left my room dirty and I had my belongings come up missing complained to staff about the unsanitary bathroom and ask cleaner to please locate my stolen jewelry and she replied she could not help me or clean my dirty room I was very disappointed because what my family paid for me to treat there at least I had the right to sanitary clean conditions very disappointed

I personally feel that Two Dreams cares deeply for their client’s treatment and recovery and provides individualized attention that you just don’t find just anywhere. Two Dreams is a small and intimate treatment center, built specifically to provide clients with individualized care and attention. The staff to client ratio is 1 staff to 1 client. All of the professionals and paraprofessionals are very passionate about what they do and have all been touched in one way or another by addiction. We strive to provide our clients with the best clinical care as we see the clinical aspect of the program is a huge component of client’s recovery, but we also value other components such as abstinence, peer support, professional guidance, exercise, nutrition, rituals and medication review/management. Two Dreams treats the whole person and not just their addiction and aids clients to implement a recovery style to everything they do in life. We want to provide our clients with physical wellbeing, mental peace and personal productivity. The location is by the ocean and is beautiful, peaceful and remote in order to better provide clients with an atmosphere conducive to recovery. I personally wouldn’t wish to work anywhere else, the staff is wonderful and I have seen that the program is highly impactful.

I have worked for Two Dreams for over 6 years and I know that the staff cares deeply for each individual person that comes through our doors. I am proud of everyone that works here at Two Dreams; we are a team that works together to ensure that our clients get the individual care they deserve. Two Dreams location was carefully chosen along the beautiful shores of North Carolina and the setting creates a special kind of peace and serenity that is important to health, wellness and recovery.

I have read and agree with most of the others who have reviewed this facility. The bottom line is that I have stayed clean and sober after completing treatment there several years ago. However, I was ready to change and don't attribute my current sobriety solely to my time at Two Dreams. I loved the fact that there was a small census and became very close with the other clients (most of whom were there for 3 months minimum). But, if you go to treatment there and don't "click" with the clients who are there, your experience could be less than ideal. Because the program is so small, it can skew very easily towards illness and dysfunction. There were also some major deficits in the program itself. Only group therapy was offered with very little individual time with the counselors (almost always initiated by the client or when preparing for discharge). There is no nurse or doctor on site even though clients are often tapering off substances. Also (perhaps the biggest issue) there is no psychiatrist. We were taught that "it's not about the drugs, it's about the underlying emotional issues causing you to use drugs" but then there was so psychiatrist on staff to evaluate for potential mental health issues. Clients who became really psychiatrically unstable would be transferred to an inpatient psychiatric facility for a week or two and return to the same situation. There was a general practice MD located 30 minutes away if you were having medical symptoms. You would then be charged a "trip fee" for gas and had to pay the doctor out of pocket because he isn't paid by Two Dreams, apparently, even though he's listed on their website. I have mixed feelings about Two Dreams, since I did benefit from my time there. But if you have 32k a month to spend, there are many other quality programs who deliver what they advertise and have psychiatrists and medical doctors on-site. In my final assessment, Two Dreams is a program that relies on (mostly) false advertising to get bodies in the door.Your experience there will be heavily determined by the current client population.

"Worst place ever. Horrible staff. Kicked my friend out after an incident at one of their activities." Please read the above statement made by a fellow client my son was in treatment with during the summer 2015. I am the mother of the client who was abruptly discharged, put in a taxi, and dropped off at an airport two hours away due to an incident during a client outing. Please note my son was not discharged for using any illicit substances or bringing illicit substances into the treatment facilty. The most disturbing thing was my son had been at Two Dreams for 60 days and was making steady progress towards his recovery. One of the areas he did need to work on was anger management which was being addressed in treatment. I am sure my son was angry over not being able to at the very least communicate his version of the events which led to my son becoming emotinal. Hmm... someone in early recovery becoming emotional.. suprise! When I finally spoke with him he admitted to contributing to half of the blame for the incident. He was alone accused of causing the entire incident. Without divulging too much my son and another client were goofing around and had an accident. Bottom line.... when Two Dreams wants to find an excuse to abruptly discharge a client they will. No genuine regard for my son's overall health, wellness and safety was a concern at all... with the exception of the family counselor who truly was wonderful but had no involvement with this incident. NO other staff from Two Dreams ever contacted me to see if my son made it to the next facility he was transferred to

Treatment was cut short because of the health/ exercise regimen, attitude and ineffectiveness in treating addiction and behavioral disorders. They are greatly overpriced for what they offer. They failed in treatment.

Worst place ever. Horrible staff. Kicked my friend out after an incident at one of their activities. ... Zero compassion.

Bad experience for our family...Even though they "claim" to be for dual diagnoses, they were stumped with some of my child's behaviors.Every time he needed psychiatric evaluation, he was taken to the closest facility (over 200 miles away and costing us $500 travel fee!). Still did not help with the problem. Sure he was a hard nut to crack but, I feel we wasted our money there.

Two Dreams does not offer individualized treatment. In fact, they are grossly understaffed...The facility itself is dirty, amenities are non-existent and the entire program was disorganized. Groups here are a joke. All they care about is your money... I would not recommend this facility to anyone. I would highly advise everyone to avoid Two Dreams Outer Banks.