U-Turn For Christ - Greeneville in Greeneville, TN

(3 of 5)
1160 Black Road
Greeneville TN 37743

U-Turn For Christ - Greeneville Philosophy

U-Turn for Christ in Greenville is a residential, faith-based, drug and alcohol treatment program that applies Biblical principles to the process of healing addiction. With separate facilities for men and women, residents are expected to participate in morning devotions, chores, community service, Bible study and personal time to establish and strengthen a relationship with Jesus Christ, while also learning how to be a healthy and productive member of society.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Personal Devotions

Bible Study

Christian Living Skills

Carolyn Cook

Woman’s Ranch Head Overseer

I am currently serving as the Head Overseer for the Women’s Ranch. I came to the ministry back in 2009, after being lost in an alcohol and drug addiction for several years of my life. It was this very ministry where I was able to build a relationship with the Lord. I now have the opportunity to share with other women the love of Christ, just as it was shared with me.

Gerry Brown

Founder and President

Pastor Gerry and Peggy have worked hard to establish a family atmosphere in the ministry of U-Turn for Christ and Calvary Chapel Romoland. They pray that you would consider sending your loved ones to them so that they may receive Jesus as Lord and Savior and allow the power of the Holy Spirit to set them free from the bondage of sin.

ABOUT U-TURN FOR CHRIST - GREENEVILLE

Located in Greeneville, Tenn., U-Turn for Christ is a faith-based treatment center that provides residential programming for both men and women seeking treatment for substance abuse. The center consists of separate male and female treatment ranches, making it one of Tennessee’s 77 (35.5 percent) of facilities with treatment specifically for women, and Tennessee’s 67 (30.9 percent) of treatment facilities for men. Detox is not available, and the treatment process focuses on Biblical teachings only.

The treatment process is based on religious teachings, isolation from negative influences, and work therapy. Clients are expected to help with the upkeep of the facility, which includes extensive ranch work. Plus, they stay in gender-specific facilities throughout treatment. The treatment process includes Bible study, ministry, and a two-phase immersion process.

During Phase One, the first two months of treatment, residents live in military-style quarters (one large room filled with multiple bunk beds). This type of environment is meant to facilitate “healthy fellowship” among the participants. Daily activities during this time include morning devotions, regular chores, volunteer community service, Bible study, and nightly prayer. Women work at the organization’s thrift store while men participate in the upkeep of the center’s facilities and landscaping.

Phase two lasts six months and provides residents with two options: they may find regular employment during the day, or they can opt to fully serve the ministry, which places them in a 24/7 working environment where they can be asked to perform tasks at any time as the organization needs. Clients who choose to work off-site are responsible for paying a housing fee.

The program also teachers leadership and the importance of the community. Many of the tasks that clients are asked to perform can be considered job training, which is only available in 86 (39.6 percent) of facilities in the state.

Programming is overseen by a pastor who is also an alum of the program.

The accommodations are basic by design. Clients sleep in bunk beds located in a communal hall. Food is provided on-site. There are plenty of outdoor and ranch facilities as well as meeting places for counseling and religious meetings. Clients are expected to work in the thrift store, find employment, or help with ranch maintenance. The handful of alumni polled by Rehabs.com provided the center’s accommodations with inconsistent ratings (half submitted one out of five star reviews, and the other half provided maximum five-star reviews). The one reviewer who commented on housing characterized it as “a modular mobile home full of mold and rats.”

At the time of this writing, Rehabs.com has received five positive and four negative reviews from alumni of U-Turn for Christ. Positive reviewers noted the success of the center’s “tough love” and emphasis on religion. “They put me in many situations that challenged me to trust and depend on God… The staff here played a key role in guiding me through my daily struggles and encouraging me to press on and not give up,” O.B. wrote representatively.

The negative reviews warned others about the program, facility, and staff. G.Z. described a staff member claiming to be a pastor as “a fraud,” and M.W. cited unclean living conditions and insincere staff. “The current Pastor is all about the money, not about the men,” he wrote.

On YellowPages.com, U-Turn For Christ has an average rating of 3.5 out of five stars from nine reviews to date.[1] A majority of the reviews were positive, with comments about the religious focus and the staff. They specifically appreciated the program’s intense structure and credited the faith-based components with changing their lives. “U Turn For Christ is a strict and structured ministry where i was given the raw truth… As i gave The Lord the opportunity He began to mold and shape me into who i am today,” Al wrote.

At the time, Rehabs.com has received feedback from three loved ones about U-Turn for Christ. One review was negative, and two were positive. The negative review described how the program was a scam, where the “PASTOR WAS PAID HANDSOMELY FOR MY SONS LABOR.” The positive feedback indicated that the “Pastor is tough as are the overseers.” The loved ones who gave positive reviews noted that the program was successful.

There is currently no information provided on the facility's website regarding its costs.

[1] https://www.yellowpages.com/greeneville-tn/mip/u-turn-for-christ-4616949

Published on May 2019

S.Wright

Finally, my 30 yr. old son agreed to go to a REHAB. He wanted to go to one that was Christ based. He arrived and the following morning, he was immediately " put to " work" OFF THE PROPERTY. The pastor was paid for my sons work. Within a week he was sent 3 states away...to PARK CARS ...he...again...was NOT COMPENSATED WHILE THE PASTOR WAS PAID HANDSOMELY FOR MY SONS LABOR. They were sent 3 states away with bread and lunchmeat..after 13 hr days. They had NO MONEY FOR FOOD..ONLY THE LUNCHMEAT AND BREAD. They were there...and could NOT CONTACT THE PASTOR FOR DAYS. THEY WERE VERY HUNGRY AND PENNILESS. MY SON and others felt sure the pastor was using drugs himself. The primary purpose for UTFC IS TO MAKE MONEY OFF THE ADDICTS. ITS A SCAM. DO NOT ATTEND. ITS CAUSED MANT PROBLEMS FOR MY SON. THEY ARE PROFITTING OFF THE DESPERATE FAMILIES AND ADDICTS.

Steve

The name is u turn for Christ it should be Wrong Turn. Because sending my loved one there was a big mistake. Its a total waste of money and hope. Its is not christian based . stay away.

Kim

I have been thru and was an overseer at U Turn For Christ Greeneville, Tn. and it is a tough program....I agree. But we are some tough n rough people in addiction. Let's face it we dug a big hole n made a huge mess of our lives. To 've in active addiction is Not to be a Saint, believe me. We hurt people, go to great lengths to deceive n manipulation in true form. We don't need a soft hand All the time...yes we need love in great levels n that means people that call us own our stuff, lies, n so forth. Who better than someone that has been there, got the happy meal n trophy too. Pastor has loved me thru some of my darkest n ugliest times in my life ...even after the program. He is not perfect by no means n makes mistakes as he goes n learns. We all do. I have put him thru some stuff n I'll be the 1st to admit it, but he has been the 1st one to not judge me n jump in my corner while telling me the true with love. I see where people don't understand or even hate the program. I've seen n been on both side. God has opened my eyes up to a lot over the years n I'm not going to understand His ways. So I leave it at that. I'm very grateful for Pastor and U Turn For Christ Tennessee. I have a lot of ladies I stay in contact with that are still standing too today. We can choose to see good or bad in anything or anyone. This program is not for everyone I do believe. We need boundaries, love, n God's Word. That's what you will get there. It's not for the faint of heart. It is for someone fighting for their life.

Randi

I thank God for U-Turn for Christ Tennessee and the other ranches around the world. My son went through the program and because the grace of God is alive and moving at U-turn, my son is alive today. That is not an exaggeration. Before he went he was running with a bad crowd, had walked away from the Lord, and was headed to hell. U-Turn is tough love, bare bones, and hardcore. At the ranches you learn to trust God, not mommy, daddy or self. One of the commenters complained about the holes. Holes=Accountability. Don't follow the rules and you Will be held accountable, possibly for the first time EVER! Yes my son dug holes, many, many holes. I would have loved to have seen him and talk to him right after he went in but we had to stop enabling him and get out of God's way and let the healing start. Someone mentioned that there "child" may not have had food and water, not according to all the people that I have been blessed to meet from ranches all over the world. But wait, were they getting food and water when they were out getting high for days and days on end? I know the pastors' testimony, I know he's tough, and I know that Pastor knows as well as anyone that you Cannot be easy on addicts or they will walk all over you. And I know that he loves everyone who comes thru the ranch(s) and cries out for them to God. Is the program perfect? Nope because it's run by humans. Does it work? I've seen sooo many people delivered from their addictions. People that now are involved in and restored to their families. People that love God. People that have jobs. People that serve and love others. People like my son and so many others that I love and am blessed to call my brothers and sisters in Christ. Amenities? Meals and Nutrition? Watching a TN sunrise or tasting how good food really is when you haven't eaten from being high for so long or hugging someone who just gave their life to Christ. Prayer Changes Things!!! Praise You Jesus!!!

Gc

My son was lost in addiction and it was through the influence of U Turn that he was able to find his way out. He is now a productive member of society and able to live a drug free life. Pastor is tough as are the overseers. Some people can’t handle it and speak badly of the program. I have personally seen the miracles happen. If someone is ready to do the hard work of ridding themselves of addiction and turning their lives over, this is the place. It’s not fancy, it doesn’t pamper snowflakes, but it works!

Lisa

The pastor of u turn is a joke completely blasphemy since he is still doing drugs!!! The ranch or trailer is full of bedbugs and all the pastor is about is your money!!! Uturn in concept is great but stay away from the Tennessee ranch and so called pastor !!

CHRIS THOR

U-turn is A simple concept. they are teaching us that sometimes the last thing we try, is the first thing that works, JESUS. I have been involved with U-TURN for many years, they have helped me with my alcohol problems, Alcohol and drugs are destroying people and families, U-TURN is teaching us that through Christ lives can be saved.Greene county is very lucky to have this program.

MW

U-Turn 4 Christ in principle is amazing. They had an amazing overseer and one Pastor that was very helpful. However the Pastor stepped aside followed by the overseer soon after. The current Pastor is all about the money, not about the men. ..The \"Ranch\" is a modular mobile home full of mold and rats. Go to U-turn just not to the TN ranch.

J. W.

I came here with a lifetime of problems and was put in many situations that challenged me to deal with them. I am so grateful for the tough love I received from the overseers and pastor who had to work with me and love me through all my nonsense. I am now able to take the next step with confidence in God.

O.b.

They put me in many situations that challenged me to trust and depend on God. I\'ve struggled with a lot of personal problems and life situations that I have been in need of help working through. The staff here played a key role in guiding me through my daily struggles and encouraging me to press on and not give up. I am extremely grateful to God and U Turn For Christ Tennessee for giving me the tools I have so needed for success.

G.z.

One of the staff members is not a pastor . Another staff member supports his behavior in "claiming" to not have control over the ministry. Stay FAR AWAY

d.p.l.

Best program ever created. If you want Jesus in your life and something worth living life for, this is your place!