Valley Hope in Atchison, KS

1816 North Second Street
Atchison KS 66002

Valley Hope Philosophy

Valley Hope at Atchison provides individualized substance abuse treatment for patients 16 and older. Treatment services include assessment, medically monitored detoxification, residential and partial/day programs, group, individual and family therapy, 12-step meetings, spirituality counseling, psycho-educational instruction and continuing care strategies. Valley Hope at Atchison also offers online family counseling and training.

• Medically monitored detoxification
    Medically monitored detoxification services are available at our residential drug rehab centers under the supervision of our consulting physician and professional nursing staff. Each patient is given a complete physical and a lab profile is obtained. A team of nurses provides 24-hour medical observation and assessment services. Medications to minimize withdrawal symptoms are used as part of our treatment regimen when necessary. If there are complications, the patient is referred to a local acute care hospital.

• Day Or Partial Care Drug Rehab
    Valley Hope also provides day or partial care drug rehab for persons suffering from the disease of addiction. This level of care is offered seven days a week and allows the patient to maintain close contact with his or her support in the community and home setting.

Accessible Care / Effective Support Services (AC/ESS)

The Fly to Recovery program

JCAHO accredited

Dee Munsen

Community Service Clinician for Valley Hope’s Kansas City/Atchison

Dee is our Community Service Clinician for Valley Hope’s Kansas City/Atchison continuum for alcohol, drug and related treatment services. Dee is a credentialed counselor and has been involved in the chemical dependency treatment field since 2004. She is an alumni of the Valley Hope Counselor training program and prior to accepting the community relations position, Dee worked as a counselor at Atchison Valley Hope for four years and in turn knows the value that Valley Hope can offer loved ones struggling with addiction.

ABOUT VALLEY HOPE IN ATCHISON, KS

Valley Hope, located in Atchison, Kan. offers residential and detoxification treatment to individuals ages 16 and older who are struggling with addiction. The facility was founded in 1972 and is located 30 minutes north of Kansas City International Airport. Valley Hope operates residential, outpatient, and online treatment programs across 16 locations in seven states.

To be admitted, clients may either call the facility directly or may fill out an inquiry form on the Valley Hope website. Most clients remain in residential treatment for an average of 17 to 30 days. Detoxification treatment usually lasts just a few days.

Clients of Valley Hope’s program receive 40 hours per week of individual therapy as well as pastoral sessions, family therapy, group therapy, and wellness activities. Clients attend local 12-step meetings regularly throughout treatment and receive nutritious meals seven days a week. Clients who need detoxification receive medication assisted treatment (MAT) under 24-hour supervision by medical staff to ease withdrawal symptoms.

Families are included in treatment through a program called family intensive treatment (FIT), which involves daily online group discussions facilitated by a family counselor along with individual therapy online once a week. All clients who successfully complete treatment are eligible to participate in an alumni network. Alumni meetings are held at the Atchison location monthly.

The executive leadership team team at Valley Hope includes a licensed clinical psychologist, a doctor of psychology, a certified addiction counselor, and a medical doctor. To date, 31 alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com gave the facility staff an average rating of 4.1 out of five stars for experience and training.

The Valley Hope facility in Atchison offers 72 beds for adult clients in a rural setting overlooking the Missouri River. The facility’s website describes living conditions as semi-private. There is currently no further information provided by the facility regarding its living arrangements and related offerings. However, 28 of the 31 alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com gave it positive ratings for accommodations and amenities.

Of the almost 40 alumni to submit user reviews, 31 alumni were polled by Rehabs.com, and gave the facility overall positive reviews, with many alumni expressing that they were thankful to work with staff who were in recovery themselves. Twenty six reviewers said they would recommend Valley Hope to friends or family members seeking treatment.

The anonymous clients rated the facility highly in several categories. Valley Hope received average ratings of 4.4 out of five stars for cleanliness, and for family participation, 4.2 stars for affordability, and 4.1 stars for the staff's level of training and experience. One reviewer wrote, “If you're ready to truly surrender, it is a wonderful place to be. The clients are involved, have fun, and have potential to succeed.” Many other reviewers praised the "good counselors," and accommodations. "It's a great place for peoples first time treatment," one anonymous alum wrote, "friendly & welcoming."

The facility received a notably lower rating for its holistic offerings, which earned an average 2.3-star rating.
When asked to comment on facility weaknesses, several alumni described Valley Hope is expensive, despite its affordability earning a relatively high average rating.

While the 12 loved ones polled by Rehabs.com (at time of writing) were a bit more mixed, they gave the facility good ratings overall, with 10 of the 12 reviewers saying they would recommend Valley Hope to others.

The anonymous loved ones gave the facility its best rating for family participation, which received an average of 4.2 out of five stars. Other categories received adequate but not excellent ratings. In their praise, loved ones specifically mentioned a strong reputation, great food, and effective multidisciplinary treatment. the facility's family participation policies were lauded with an average rating of 4.2 stars. One reviewer added additional commentary regarding the multidisciplinary treatment and family participation, “They included family which is important.”
However, the loved ones polled were not universally positive, and many felt that Valley Hope did not effectively deal with relapse or dual diagnosis clients. Additionally, the loved ones gave Valley Hope relatively low average ratings of 2.2 stars for holistic offerings, 2.7 stars for counseling options, three stars for affordability, and 3.2 stars for exercise and leisure.

At the time of this writing, there had been one former staff member polled by Rehabs.com. She gave the facility excellent marks across several different metrics and said she would recommend the facility to a friend or loved one considering rehab.

When asked about the strengths of the facility, the staff member said employees are caring and treat clients well. The staff member ended her review with additional commentary, saying, “Valley Hope has the best treatment philosophies of any I ever saw. I worked in the field for 38 years and have had contact with numerous other facilities. None measure up to the expertise if the Valley Hope programs.”

There is currently no information provided by Valley Hope regarding its costs. The facility accepts insurance, but does not accept Medicaid or Medicare. Valley Hope offers discounts for out-of-pocket payments made up front and works with two healthcare lending companies.

Published on January 2018

Extremely disappointed the lack of communication I have received from the staff at Valley Hope. I checked my sister into the Atchinson treatment facility early Tuesday, it’s now Friday and I am not able to get anyone for Valley Hope to return my phone calls. I asked to speak with the director of the rehabilitation center and was told was already gone for the weekend. It is very concerning to me that the request for information about the health of my family member is being ignored. This is my sister’s shirt trip to Valley Hope, I’m very disappointed that her first to stays did not lead to a last recovery. And very disappointed that I am not receiving updates on her condition.

I really just wished that instead of telling people that attend your facility to be selfish and that they have to eliminate people out of there life. They would actualy try to find out actualy what it means to the client first and not force them to eliminate people that have cared very much about them and also wanted them to get help and better there lives. Doing this made it so i couldnt ever see the one i was in love with for ten years. I helped them when they were in a bad way i seen them everyday and because they see in black and white that i used drugs also. Its cut and dry you cant be a part of this persons life anymore. I dont think that someones sobriety should leed to someone else that they cared about end. I think some love and real life situations need to be in play so that the client doesnt feel like they have to give up everything. They want help its obvious thats why they are there. Be kind to all parties involved and dont wreck someone else because your trying to build someone else up. Its not right

Valley Hope's staff was wonderful. I fought my family about going and hated myself and that place for a few days. After meeting the staff and other patients I finally surrendered. I've been sober for 3 years. Never thought I could do it. The councelors and especially other patients helped me believe that I can do this. I'm doing it. I have life long friends from my stay there. Wonderful place. Good food. Great staff. Good facilities. Lots of freedom to come and go but they hold you accountable for your actions. I didn't want to leave after my 25 day stay. Good memories for me for sure. Thank you Valley Hope!

The treatments are effective if you work the program. The accommodations are reminiscent of 1960's motels. The food tastes good, but is exceptionally fattening. Stuck to the salad bar and fresh fruit. Chocolate milk is to die for.

Stronglyrics 12 step oriented, excellent family involvement. Old, out dated If you're ready to truly surrender, it is a wonderful place to be. The clients are involved, have fun, and have potential to succeed.

If you are looking for a treatment facility that won't completely take advantage of you, and screw you over financially, then steer clear of this facility!! I was double insured (both private insurances) when I went here (and BTW the state will not pay if you have state insurance bc it is not a state approved facility) and they assured me (while encouraging me to stay longer) that my insurance would cover. I signed a contract for, from my understanding was the amount I was responsible to pay if insurance would not, which was 4500, and they sent me a bill for 10000 dollars!!! With a 12% interest rate + whatever other finance fees I pay 100/ mo. and only 38 dollars goes towards the bill.. not to mention there is little to no accountability for the patients...They are just money hungry and taking advantage of people with the horrible disease of addiction, it's terrible.. but I guess if 10 to 15k is chunk change for you it is a great place to avoid the cops (yes, there were people there to simply hide from authority, not for treatment) actually the majority of the people there weren't there for treatment. I suggest if you are serious about recovery go to AA or NA (which this facility piggy backs on, but you pay thousands of dollars for) ... Go to a state run facility if you have to, but AA and NA will save your life.

My 24 year old son was a patient here. In my profession I have worked with addicts, alcoholics and counselors for 27 years. Unfortunatey, my son's individual counselor was horrible. She didn't care about his recovery at all. We were told we would hear from her within the first couple of days. We finally heard from her after almost two weeks when I repeatedly called her. During our counseling session with her she answered a phone call in the middle of my son reading an emotional letter to me. She also talked about a staff person who had a problem with addiction and cried as she did. It was very awkward and inappropriate. The administrator was even worse. She called my husband a liar when we expressed some concerns about our counselor and things that were reported by staff. She does not care about the patients and their families, or recovery. She is extremely condescending and unapproachable. I have worked with This Valley Hope for over 25 years and have always been very satisfied. Unfortunately the program seems to be suffering since the administrator took over a few months ago. Staff even say these two women are terrible at their jobs . Neither should be working in this type of environment. Hopefully someone will step in before the administrator ruins Valley Hope and it's reputation. Hopefully neither will jeopardize someone else's'so recovery. The only saving grace was the family counselor. She really does care about the long term sobriety of the patients. She also truly cares about helping the families. She believes in doing the right thing. She shows her dedication and integrity every minute of every day.

24/7 support Conservative attitude I got sober there. It worked for me.

Good cousolers Food was bad. The people were friendly and helpful

Nothing but negative reinforcement.

Valley Hope really and truly is an amazing program all the way around! My daughter did the program not once but two times. Not because it didn't work but a person has to want a sober life for it to happen. I also spent a week in VH to safely detox off of a medication. I was amazed at how nice and respectful every single staff member treated each and every one of the patience never once feeling judged what so ever. There are so many classes available to give the proper tools to stay clean and sober when you go home. If you or someone you know is ready to get help I would recommend Valley Hope 110% best of luck!!

If you need help, this is the place to go. The staff is AMAZING! My experience there was... well, life changing and I believe the foundation for that change is owed to AVH. Sam, Will, and all the others; Thank You!

Maybe in comparison this place is not horrible but may areas it could improve. I was referred there by my therapist, which I later learned her business partner's husband worked there and ended up being my counselor. Which screams conflict of interest and totally unethical. My insurance paid the $800 per day, although I'm not sure where the money went. The facility was falling apart and there were holes from leaks in ceiling, it was understaffed and the staff came off under qualified. Most people only stayed short periods because ins wouldn't pay for after a certain point and they either had to pay or leave. That was not the case with me and I was there about 28days. Upon leaving a employee made it clear I could be a patient of her private business. I don't think I got much out of it besides debt and the few people I kept in brief contact with have all relapsed. Thankfully I mainly went there to look good for legal reasons and not help with addiction. Besides that I guess I can say the staff meant well and the food wasn't bad, although I did gain weight because it wasn't the healthiest. I suppose if you're serious about recovery than its not a bad place but someone struggling may find the above problematic..

Good accommodations, location. Expensive. It was a nice place, a calm relaxing location compared to others. Conselours were mostly helpful.

They were friendly. They do not deal with relapse. This is apart of drug addiction and it happens to most. Instead they make you feel like it is the end of the world and they get rid of you. They could help you see where you went wrong and try to help you know what to do next time there are these triggers. I liked the fact that everyone their wanted to be there.

Convenient location. Qualified staff. I do not have anything additional to add. The facility made the difficult time easier for the family.

Strengths: 1) Being able to use phone/internet 2) Having loved ones come to meetings 3) Being able to listen to music, play pool, let those go out to smoke and socialize with others 4) Food, food, food lol you get the rest. Weaknesses:1) Cavity search patients 2) Definitely the rooms 3) Letting those play music as loud as can be 4) Not being able to hold breakfast/lunch/dinner within at least 30 min. 5) Not helping those who are in need of....- It was clean and everyone was nice. - Not to knowledgeable. - Being able to visit for so long before going to meetings then having to leave - Not being able to sleep due to others playing loud music - Not being able to sleep...

Has a reputation for being successful and is willing to help anyone who wants the help. Good stucture. Is a very family supportive place.

Knowledgable staff who have been through it. I think it is a great place. Take good care of you while you are there. And continue it after you leave.

The employees were good but the cost was a downfall.

Treatment was effective, but it was very expensive.

The employees were great but it was expensive.

Knowledgable staff who have been through it. I think it is a great place. Take good care of you wile you are there and continue it after you leave.

Speaking for my husband..., who went to rehab at Valley Hope 17 years ago..., He has been sober for 17 years. Am sure there are all new employees there by now. But I must say it was a life saving experience for my husband. The counselors and other employees were 5 star in our opinion. It wasn't fancy schmancy. But very nice and clean and excellently run!!!!!! A person going to a rehab center does not need fancy. They need the Guidance and Self discipline that is taught and lived there. What ever spirituality a person possesses is their choice. I spent as much time during his treatment ..., as was allowed. And I..., myself learned so very much! Even though I had tried to educate myself on addiction..., way before my husband's admission. We are forever grateful for what Valley Hope did for my husband and our whole family:)

I have referred numerous persons to Valley Hope in my 39 years of continuous and ongoing sobriety/recovery. The team concept with staff members is second to none, and I later worked in facilities throughout California and Kansas. Program was very 12-Step compatible, utilized MMPI testing, counseling staff were predominantly recovering alcoholics and or addicts themselves. Staff worked hard to maintain a climate of mutual support among the clients there!

Counselors are amazing. My husband is still sober after 9 years.

Loving atmosphere and great experience. However, the exercise facilities were a downfall.

Strengths include: staff, lessons, counseling, food and medical. However, a downfall was that there were a lot of people there. It was a great place for people's first time to treatment. It was friendly and welcoming. VH is a place to grow and learn, with helpful and happy staff.

I learned about the reason I used. They gave me time to learn about me and get in touch with my spirituality. I learned how to have A Relationship with God.

I needed to be secluded and surrounded with healing and positive action. I was safe, I had no responsibility but to get well and accept the help they offered. I have remained clean and sober since that stay. It was a safe haven for me to get stabilized, healthy both physically and mentally and I experienced spiritual growth. I left there a better person. I went into the facility willingly, whole-heartedly wanting to recover. I was in my 50's. Many of the people there were revolving doors. Personally, I felt that I had needed this kind of special care for many, many years but had always been too busy, too many responsibilities that of course no one else could do (ha). I took full advantage of every single meeting, group gathering, classes and the counseling. I was going to take every single tidbit I could get while there. I am a busy lady with many to care for and I don't have time in my life to repeat things this intensive. I wanted and still want to be sober, present to enjoy this wonderful gift of life.

My husband passed a number of years ago. But because of Treatment and AA he had a number of good years! Because of first treatment. A number people, family, and friends have gotten help and have been in AA and other groups for many years!

Program was very 12-Step compatible, utilized MMPI testing, counseling staff were predominantly revovering alcoholics and or addicts themselves. Staff worked hard to maintain a climate of mutual support among the clients there! I have referred numerous persons to Valley Hope in my 39 years of continuous and ongoing sobriety/recovery. The team concept with staff members is second to none, and I later worked in facilities throughout California and Kansas

Treatment was quite effective.

Valley Hope is the best. I had been to[another facility] which was not as good.

All Valley Hope is based on 12 step program with a huge emphasis on spirituality. I attended both In Patient and Outpatient at Valley Hope over a 4 yr period. Finally got it through my noggin that for me to have a peaceful and serene life, I needed to be cleaned. I have been clean and sober for over 12 years now

They saved my life. Rehabs are like anything in life you get out of it what you put in to it.

Relapsed after 6 months.

Good place to get help.

Facility gave you trust.

It was amazing the counselors were awesome and recovering addicts as well which meant everything to me.

Offered family therapy. I have monitored every aspect of care as he has a dual diagnosis. I was very happy in general with Valley Hope in the aspect of the staff doing their job. My son was underage and all regulations were followed in providing his safety and health. The staff was also very considerate of my part in my child's recovery, I was never turned away or told I could not participate in his treatment or therapy. My only complaint was his mental therapy, I was not taken serious enough when I was trying to explain to them he had more than a drug problem and to my regret my son was unable to really start to get completely clean until psychiatric treatment and medicine was given to him, there was post traumatic stress, and some psycosis he was able to hide from his "team" because they believed that all his problems was a product of his age and drug abuse, and I was labeled "codependant mother".

My son has been clean and sober for 2 years and 2 months. They included family which is important.

My friend died shortly after from drinking. He was obviously very ill and, from what I understand, was dismissed due to insurance. They should have paid more attention - at least been realistic with goal settings. Like I said, he died shortly after due to the disease. If he would have been able to know he had a choice in his own addiction and life struggles, maybe they would have helped more. I hate that insurance kicked him out. The people in charge know the ability of an addict to lie/denial. They should have made him stay.

Valley Hope was the type of tx approach that my friend needed. She was also highly motivated to get sober and change her life, which makes all the difference. Valley Hope takes the 12 Step approach to substance abuse treatment, which works very well for some individuals.

I attended open meetings at Valley Hope it was very informative. My daughter has changed her lifestyle.

Valley Hope allowed me to stay there and participate in his recovery as a spouse. He started drinking again and returned to the same facility 3 years later. He has been sober since.

Best treatment center ever!

I had no idea what ETOH treatment was, no clue, just knew I was out of a job, unhealthy and looking at probable homelessness etc...if I didn't stop drinking. Valley Hope taught/supported me in my life long endeavor to live sober. There was no frills, thrills or pampering. I got sober and am still sober today without relapse. Job done. Thank God!

Great quality.

Set up a payment plan for me that was very reasonable. They want you to succeed! Best experience of my life! This place is not fancy. No chocolates on the pillow. Not very comfortable, but the treatment is stellar and it was the best vacation ever. Not that it was a vacation.