Valley Hope of Atchison in Atchison, KS

1816 North Second Street
Atchison KS 66002

Valley Hope of Atchison Philosophy

Valley Hope at Atchison provides individualized substance abuse treatment for patients 16 and older. Treatment services include assessment, medically monitored detoxification, residential and partial/day programs, group, individual and family therapy, 12-step meetings, spirituality counseling, psycho-educational instruction and continuing care strategies. Valley Hope at Atchison also offers online family counseling and training.

• Medically monitored detoxification
    Medically monitored detoxification services are available at our residential drug rehab centers under the supervision of our consulting physician and professional nursing staff. Each patient is given a complete physical and a lab profile is obtained. A team of nurses provides 24-hour medical observation and assessment services. Medications to minimize withdrawal symptoms are used as part of our treatment regimen when necessary. If there are complications, the patient is referred to a local acute care hospital.

• Day Or Partial Care Drug Rehab
    Valley Hope also provides day or partial care drug rehab for persons suffering from the disease of addiction. This level of care is offered seven days a week and allows the patient to maintain close contact with his or her support in the community and home setting.

Accessible Care / Effective Support Services (AC/ESS)

The Fly to Recovery program

JCAHO accredited

Dee Munsen

Community Service Clinician for Valley Hope’s Kansas City/Atchison

Dee is our Community Service Clinician for Valley Hope’s Kansas City/Atchison continuum for alcohol, drug and related treatment services. Dee is a credentialed counselor and has been involved in the chemical dependency treatment field since 2004. She is an alumni of the Valley Hope Counselor training program and prior to accepting the community relations position, Dee worked as a counselor at Atchison Valley Hope for four years and in turn knows the value that Valley Hope can offer loved ones struggling with addiction.

ABOUT VALLEY HOPE OF ATCHISON

Valley Hope, located in Atchison, Kan., offers residential and detoxification treatment to individuals ages 16 and older struggling with chemical dependency. Valley Hope is one of Kansas’ 14 (7.7 percent) facilities that offers non-hospital detoxification. Valley Hope operates residential, outpatient, and online treatment programs across 16 locations in seven states.

To be admitted, clients may either call the facility directly fill out an inquiry form on the Valley Hope website. Most clients remain in residential treatment for an average of 17 to 30 days, making it one of Kansas’ 20 (11 percent) facilities to provide short-term residential care. Detoxification treatment usually lasts just a few days. Clients who need detoxification may receive medication-assisted treatment (MAT) under 24-hour supervision to ease withdrawal symptoms.

Clients of Valley Hope’s program receive 40 hours per week of programming, which may include individual counseling, pastoral sessions, family therapy, group therapy, and wellness activities. Clients attend local 12-step meetings regularly throughout treatment and receive nutritious meals seven days a week. In Kansas, 119 (65.4 percent) facilities use the 12-Step method in their programming.

Families are included in treatment through a program called family intensive treatment (FIT), which involves daily online group discussions facilitated by a family counselor and weekly individual therapy sessions. All clients who successfully complete treatment are eligible to participate in an alumni network, which holds meetings at the Atchison location monthly.

The executive leadership team at Valley Hope includes a licensed clinical psychologist, a doctor of psychology, a certified addiction counselor, and a medical doctor. Valley Hope is one of the 21 (11.5 percent) facilities in Kansas accredited by the Joint Commission.

The Valley Hope facility in Atchison offers 72 beds in a rural setting overlooking the Missouri River. Clients stay in semi-private rooms, and nutritional meals are provided by a staff chef. To date, the 16 individuals polled on the matters by Rehabs.com appreciated the facility's upkeep and moderately approved of its amenities.

Cleanliness: 4.1/5
Exercise and Leisure: 3.4/5

The 31 alumni polled by Rehabs.com at time of writing gave the facility overall positive reviews, with many alumni expressing that they were thankful to work with staff who were in recovery themselves. Twenty-six reviewers said they would recommend Valley Hope to friends or family members seeking treatment. Overall, the 10 alumni polled on specific metrics by Rehabs.com praised the facility's family programming and staff, though felt holistic offerings could improve.

Family Participation: 4.4/5
Staff Experience and Training: 4.1/5
Holistic Offerings: 2.3/5

One reviewer wrote, “If you're ready to truly surrender, it is a wonderful place to be. The clients are involved, have fun, and have potential to succeed.” Many other reviewers praised the "good counselors," and accommodations. "It's a great place for peoples first time treatment," one anonymous alum wrote, adding, "friendly & welcoming."

When asked to comment on facility weaknesses, several alumni described Valley Hope as expensive, despite its affordability earning a relatively high average rating. Although counseling options also received moderate ratings, alumni agreed they'd recommend the facility to others.

Would Recommend: 4.5/5
Counseling Options: 3.2/5

Secondary sources revealed glowing alumni reviews. On Google, Valley of Hope of Atchison had an average rating of 4.2 out of five stars from 30 reviews to date.[1] On Facebook, where the facility can manage its own page, the facility had an average rating of 4.6 out of five stars from 58 reviews.[2] Overwhelmingly, reviewers noted the “love and caring staff.”

While the 12 loved ones polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing offered more mixed feedback, they generally appreciated the level of family participation and visitor policies. “They included family which is important,” a loved one wrote.

Family Participation: 4.2/5
Connectivity/Visitor Policies: 3.5/5

In their feedback, loved ones also specifically mentioned the facility's strong reputation, nutritious food, and effective multidisciplinary treatment. However, the loved ones polled were not universally positive, and many felt that Valley Hope did not effectively deal with relapse or dually diagnosed clients.

At the time of this writing, the one former staff member polled by Rehabs.com gave the facility high ratings across several different metrics and indicated that she would recommend the facility to a friend or loved one considering rehab. When asked about the strengths of the facility, the staff member wrote that employees were caring and client-focused. “Valley Hope has the best treatment philosophies of any I ever saw,” the staff member added.

Valley Hope accepts private insurance**, but *does not accept Medicaid or Medicare*. Valley Hope offers discounts for out-of-pocket payments made upfront and works with two health care lending companies. To date, the 16 individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter gave generally positive ratings concerning the facility's cost.

Affordability: 3.8/5

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/AtchisonValleyHope/reviews

Published on September 2019

Lp

Valley hope pushing high doses of suboxone 16 mg on everyone. One size fits all. I kept asking questions as the inside of my cheeks were tender. Dr. Ignored any complaint or question concerning this horrific product. I developed severe allergy to it, no one will rehab me off it. I'm going cold turkey at home off of 16 mg and I'm 60. Don5 feel I will survive this

Tony

Extremely disappointed the lack of communication I have received from the staff at Valley Hope. I checked my sister into the Atchinson treatment facility early Tuesday, it’s now Friday and I am not able to get anyone for Valley Hope to return my phone calls. I asked to speak with the director of the rehabilitation center and was told was already gone for the weekend. It is very concerning to me that the request for information about the health of my family member is being ignored. This is my sister’s shirt trip to Valley Hope, I’m very disappointed that her first to stays did not lead to a last recovery. And very disappointed that I am not receiving updates on her condition.

John

I really just wished that instead of telling people that attend your facility to be selfish and that they have to eliminate people out of there life. They would actualy try to find out actualy what it means to the client first and not force them to eliminate people that have cared very much about them and also wanted them to get help and better there lives. Doing this made it so i couldnt ever see the one i was in love with for ten years. I helped them when they were in a bad way i seen them everyday and because they see in black and white that i used drugs also. Its cut and dry you cant be a part of this persons life anymore. I dont think that someones sobriety should leed to someone else that they cared about end. I think some love and real life situations need to be in play so that the client doesnt feel like they have to give up everything. They want help its obvious thats why they are there. Be kind to all parties involved and dont wreck someone else because your trying to build someone else up. Its not right

Annonynous

Valley Hope's staff was wonderful. I fought my family about going and hated myself and that place for a few days. After meeting the staff and other patients I finally surrendered. I've been sober for 3 years. Never thought I could do it. The councelors and especially other patients helped me believe that I can do this. I'm doing it. I have life long friends from my stay there. Wonderful place. Good food. Great staff. Good facilities. Lots of freedom to come and go but they hold you accountable for your actions. I didn't want to leave after my 25 day stay. Good memories for me for sure. Thank you Valley Hope!

TG

The treatments are effective if you work the program. The accommodations are reminiscent of 1960's motels. The food tastes good, but is exceptionally fattening. Stuck to the salad bar and fresh fruit. Chocolate milk is to die for.

Cari

Stronglyrics 12 step oriented, excellent family involvement. Old, out dated If you're ready to truly surrender, it is a wonderful place to be. The clients are involved, have fun, and have potential to succeed.

AK

If you are looking for a treatment facility that won\'t completely take advantage of you, and screw you over financially, then steer clear of this facility!! I was double insured (both private insurances) when I went here (and BTW the state will not pay if you have state insurance bc it is not a state approved facility) and they assured me (while encouraging me to stay longer) that my insurance would cover. I signed a contract for, from my understanding was the amount I was responsible to pay if insurance would not, which was 4500, and they sent me a bill for 10000 dollars!!! With a 12% interest rate + whatever other finance fees I pay 100/ mo. and only 38 dollars goes towards the bill.. not to mention there is little to no accountability for the patients...They are just money hungry and taking advantage of people with the horrible disease of addiction, it\'s terrible.. but I guess if 10 to 15k is chunk change for you it is a great place to avoid the cops (yes, there were people there to simply hide from authority, not for treatment) actually the majority of the people there weren\'t there for treatment. I suggest if you are serious about recovery go to AA or NA (which this facility piggy backs on, but you pay thousands of dollars for) ... Go to a state run facility if you have to, but AA and NA will save your life.

Anonymous Family

My 24 year old son was a patient here. In my profession I have worked with addicts, alcoholics and counselors for 27 years. Unfortunatey, my son\'s individual counselor was horrible. She didn\'t care about his recovery at all. We were told we would hear from her within the first couple of days. We finally heard from her after almost two weeks when I repeatedly called her. During our counseling session with her she answered a phone call in the middle of my son reading an emotional letter to me. She also talked about a staff person who had a problem with addiction and cried as she did. It was very awkward and inappropriate. The administrator was even worse. She called my husband a liar when we expressed some concerns about our counselor and things that were reported by staff. She does not care about the patients and their families, or recovery. She is extremely condescending and unapproachable. I have worked with This Valley Hope for over 25 years and have always been very satisfied. Unfortunately the program seems to be suffering since the administrator took over a few months ago. Staff even say these two women are terrible at their jobs . Neither should be working in this type of environment. Hopefully someone will step in before the administrator ruins Valley Hope and it\'s reputation. Hopefully neither will jeopardize someone else\'s\'so recovery. The only saving grace was the family counselor. She really does care about the long term sobriety of the patients. She also truly cares about helping the families. She believes in doing the right thing. She shows her dedication and integrity every minute of every day.

24/7 support Conservative attitude I got sober there. It worked for me.

Good cousolers Food was bad. The people were friendly and helpful

Tp

Nothing but negative reinforcement.

Amy

Valley Hope really and truly is an amazing program all the way around! My daughter did the program not once but two times. Not because it didn\'t work but a person has to want a sober life for it to happen. I also spent a week in VH to safely detox off of a medication. I was amazed at how nice and respectful every single staff member treated each and every one of the patience never once feeling judged what so ever. There are so many classes available to give the proper tools to stay clean and sober when you go home. If you or someone you know is ready to get help I would recommend Valley Hope 110% best of luck!!

Mike

If you need help, this is the place to go. The staff is AMAZING! My experience there was... well, life changing and I believe the foundation for that change is owed to AVH. Sam, Will, and all the others; Thank You!

A

Maybe in comparison this place is not horrible but may areas it could improve. I was referred there by my therapist, which I later learned her business partner\'s husband worked there and ended up being my counselor. Which screams conflict of interest and totally unethical. My insurance paid the $800 per day, although I\'m not sure where the money went. The facility was falling apart and there were holes from leaks in ceiling, it was understaffed and the staff came off under qualified. Most people only stayed short periods because ins wouldn\'t pay for after a certain point and they either had to pay or leave. That was not the case with me and I was there about 28days. Upon leaving a employee made it clear I could be a patient of her private business. I don\'t think I got much out of it besides debt and the few people I kept in brief contact with have all relapsed. Thankfully I mainly went there to look good for legal reasons and not help with addiction. Besides that I guess I can say the staff meant well and the food wasn\'t bad, although I did gain weight because it wasn\'t the healthiest. I suppose if you\'re serious about recovery than its not a bad place but someone struggling may find the above problematic..

Good accommodations, location. Expensive. It was a nice place, a calm relaxing location compared to others. Conselours were mostly helpful.

They were friendly. They do not deal with relapse. This is apart of drug addiction and it happens to most. Instead they make you feel like it is the end of the world and they get rid of you. They could help you see where you went wrong and try to help you know what to do next time there are these triggers. I liked the fact that everyone their wanted to be there.

Convenient location. Qualified staff. I do not have anything additional to add. The facility made the difficult time easier for the family.

Strengths: 1) Being able to use phone/internet 2) Having loved ones come to meetings 3) Being able to listen to music, play pool, let those go out to smoke and socialize with others 4) Food, food, food lol you get the rest. Weaknesses:1) Cavity search patients 2) Definitely the rooms 3) Letting those play music as loud as can be 4) Not being able to hold breakfast/lunch/dinner within at least 30 min. 5) Not helping those who are in need of....- It was clean and everyone was nice. - Not to knowledgeable. - Being able to visit for so long before going to meetings then having to leave - Not being able to sleep due to others playing loud music - Not being able to sleep...

Has a reputation for being successful and is willing to help anyone who wants the help. Good stucture. Is a very family supportive place.

Treatment was effective, but it was very expensive.

The employees were great but it was expensive.

SC

Knowledgable staff who have been through it. I think it is a great place. Take good care of you wile you are there and continue it after you leave.

WSC

Loving atmosphere and great experience. However, the exercise facilities were a downfall.

Miranda

Strengths include: staff, lessons, counseling, food and medical. However, a downfall was that there were a lot of people there. It was a great place for people's first time to treatment. It was friendly and welcoming. VH is a place to grow and learn, with helpful and happy staff.

Gerald

Program was very 12-Step compatible, utilized MMPI testing, counseling staff were predominantly revovering alcoholics and or addicts themselves. Staff worked hard to maintain a climate of mutual support among the clients there! I have referred numerous persons to Valley Hope in my 39 years of continuous and ongoing sobriety/recovery. The team concept with staff members is second to none, and I later worked in facilities throughout California and Kansas

Treatment was quite effective.

Miriam

Valley Hope is the best. I had been to[another facility] which was not as good.

Dave

They saved my life. Rehabs are like anything in life you get out of it what you put in to it.

JK

Good place to get help.

spb

It was amazing the counselors were awesome and recovering addicts as well which meant everything to me.

Stacy

Offered family therapy. I have monitored every aspect of care as he has a dual diagnosis. I was very happy in general with Valley Hope in the aspect of the staff doing their job. My son was underage and all regulations were followed in providing his safety and health. The staff was also very considerate of my part in my child's recovery, I was never turned away or told I could not participate in his treatment or therapy. My only complaint was his mental therapy, I was not taken serious enough when I was trying to explain to them he had more than a drug problem and to my regret my son was unable to really start to get completely clean until psychiatric treatment and medicine was given to him, there was post traumatic stress, and some psycosis he was able to hide from his "team" because they believed that all his problems was a product of his age and drug abuse, and I was labeled "codependant mother".

anonymous

My son has been clean and sober for 2 years and 2 months. They included family which is important.

anonymous

My friend died shortly after from drinking. He was obviously very ill and, from what I understand, was dismissed due to insurance. They should have paid more attention - at least been realistic with goal settings. Like I said, he died shortly after due to the disease. If he would have been able to know he had a choice in his own addiction and life struggles, maybe they would have helped more. I hate that insurance kicked him out. The people in charge know the ability of an addict to lie/denial. They should have made him stay.

anonymous

Valley Hope was the type of tx approach that my friend needed. She was also highly motivated to get sober and change her life, which makes all the difference. Valley Hope takes the 12 Step approach to substance abuse treatment, which works very well for some individuals.

SGS

Great quality.

Rebecca

Set up a payment plan for me that was very reasonable. They want you to succeed! Best experience of my life! This place is not fancy. No chocolates on the pillow. Not very comfortable, but the treatment is stellar and it was the best vacation ever. Not that it was a vacation.