Valley Hope - Parker

22422 E. Main Street, Parker, Colorado, 80134

2.9

About Valley Hope - Parker

Founded in 1989, Parker Valley Hope offers residential drug and alcohol addiction treatment for men and women. The facility takes a 12-step approach to recovery, and combines AA’s principles with psycho-educational and small-group counseling to give each client a solid foundation for long-lasting sobriety. Family support and education is also provided, as is a plan for continued care long after treatment is complete.

Individual Therapy

This term describes one-on-one therapy, in which a patient and trained counselor, social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist meets privately with a patient to discuss challenges related to lifestyle, work, family and romantic relationships that may have contributed to the development of an addiction.

Family Program

• Individual Therapy
  • 12 Step Program
Donna

Donna

Community Services Clinician

Donna is the Community Services Clinician for Valley Hope’s Colorado continuum for alcohol, drug and related treatment services. Donna’s pilgrimage with Valley Hope began in 1999. She is a Marriage and Family Therapist and a Certified Addictions Counselor level III.

Show Bio

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT VALLEY HOPE - PARKER

In operation for more than 50 years, Valley Hope, based in Norton, Kan., started offering quality, affordable treatment for individuals struggling with substance abuse in 1967. Located in Parker, Colo., in the south Denver metro area, Valley Hope – Parker, part of the parent organization’s 16 service sites in seven states, has been providing residential treatment services for adults since 1989.

Within the state, Valley Hope – Parker is among 43.6 percent of private, nonprofit substance abuse treatment facilities, 13.9 percent of substance abuse treatment facilities that offer residential, non-hospital care, and one of 16 (4.2 percent) that provides residential, non-hospital detoxification.

At Valley Hope – Parker, the admissions process begins with a thorough assessment. Clients participate in a medical history/physical exam along with a nursing evaluation, psycho-social history, and psychological screening. The detox program lasts a few days. While there, clients are monitored 24/7 by trained medical staff and may receive medication management for symptoms, if needed.

The residential treatment program is based on the 12-step model. Each client receives an individualized plan tailored to their needs, which includes 40 hours of structured therapy per week in individual and group settings and medication assisted-treatment (MAT).

Each resident is assigned a nondenominational chaplain to coach them through the spiritual elements of recovery and the concept of a higher power. They also attend local 12-step meetings. The recommended length of treatment is 30 days; however, clients typically stay from 17 to 30 days.

Families are encouraged to attend dedicated counseling sessions and may take advantage of the facility’s online family option for loved ones who may not be able to visit the facility.

Within the state, Valley Hope – Parker is one of 37 (9.7 percent) of substance abuse treatment facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. A member of the National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers, the facility employs a multidisciplinary team that includes counselors, chaplains, physicians, certified addictions registered nurses, psychiatrists, and psychologists.

The lodge at Valley Hope – Parker includes 40 dormitory beds for residential rehab, as well as 10 beds for medical detox. The facility offers 24/7 nursing in what the organization describes as “a comfortable country setting,” which includes home-style meals prepared by the kitchen and dietary staff.

Official photographs on the facility’s website indicate a stately main building on a sprawling campus with plenty of surrounding green space and picnic tables. Home-style meals are prepared daily by the kitchen staff.

The facility is described as being “in close proximity” to Denver International Airport, which makes treatment there accessible for clients throughout the country. To date, the four individuals polled by Rehabs. on the matter appreciated the upkeep of the facility and its amenities.

Cleanliness: 4/5
Exercise and Leisure: 3.8/5

At the time of this writing, 15 former clients who reviewed Valley Hope – Parker for Rehabs.com submitted split impressions: seven favorable and eight unfavorable. Those on the plus side praised the friendly staff, effectiveness of treatment, results achieved, and quality of the food. For example, after failing to reach goals at “many treatment centers,” one alum, who finally attained “continuous sobriety” at Valley Hope – Parker gave the following testimonial to Rehabs.com: “Highly recommended and great staff and environment. 5 stars.”

However, several alumni used the term “high school” to describe the lack of supervision and behavior of clients. “The experience was much like being thrown back into high school and many people were bullied and it set them back,” one alum wrote. Others complained about unqualified therapists and rundown conditions, one reviewer referring to the center as “Dank, dirty, disorganized, unprofessional.”

On secondary sites, Valley Hope – Parker received highly positive coverage to date: 4.4 out of five stars based on 21 reviews on Google, and 4.4 stars based on the opinions of 36 people on Facebook, which the organization may manage. [1] [2] Reviewers (alumni, loved ones, unspecified) appreciated the staff, food, and the results they achieved through treatment, such as five- star reviewer Miguel on Facebook, who, like many others, highly recommended the center, and wrote: “Thanks for helping me get my life back, your staff was kind and loving. They showed me how I can live sober and free. I can’t thank you enough.”

The seven loved ones who reviewed Valley Hope – Parker for Rehabs.com submitted conflicting feedback: three positive and four negative. All three satisfied loved ones awarded the maximum five stars for the likelihood to recommend the facility and a mix of the top five and four out of five stars for the level of staff experience and training, cleanliness and upkeep, and family participation. An anonymous reviewer described the facility as a “caring community” with “many classes” that were “useful” for clients and their family.

However, those who rated the facility poorly had more pointed negative elements to add. One considered the methods insipid: “The same old, same old treatment/therapies are tired and out-dated.” Others made harsh comments about the harmful effects of the program, such as: “I had a loved one come to this place and it ruined him more than help him. The staff was unprofessional and sometimes manipulative at some points.”

At the time of this writing, the facility does not provide information online regarding its fees and specific insurance coverage. However, the website indicates the administrative staff will “clarify your insurance, financial and other health related questions necessary for admission.” To date, the four individuals polled on the matter gave mixed opinions concerning the facility's cost.

Affordability: 3.3/5

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/ValleyHopeofParker/reviews/?ref=page+internal

Accreditations & Licenses
  • NAATP
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

2.9/5
    3.1/5
    2.6/5
    3/5

• K.B.
    Some of the nurses were AMAZING!! Sadly, the doctors were deprecating and rude. The experience was much like being thrown back into high school and many people were bullied and it set them back. It broke my heart to see so many people that had hope for recovery end up feeling just as despondent if not more than when they came in.
  • Taylor
    I had a loved one come to this place and it ruined him more than help him. The staff was unprofessional and sometimes manipulative at some points. My loved one ended up discharging with several other people because it made them worse instead of helping. Horrible place. Do not recommend
  • CR
    I wish I could give a good review, but unfortunately I can not. My daughter was a client there and after spending $10,500.00 for a 30 day program the only thing she got was, more connections to buy the drugs that killed her. I had really hoped that this rehab center would be what she needed, but she literally came out worse than when she went in. So sad, that this program is really about financial gain, and not the health and welfare of the patient. Three months after her death, and yes they were notified, my daughter received a collection letter from them, after she paid them $10,500.00 cash. Speaks volumes!!
  • Joe
    I have been to many treatment centers- and After pvh it stuck!! I have 5 years continuous sobriety and I refer people from all over the us to here. Highly recommended and great staff and environment. 5 stars
  • cy
    My Grandson left Valley Hope Wednesday afternoon and my Daughter found him dead in his bedroom Friday morning of a heroin overdose. We are devastated! We hoped for the best and got the worst. We (family) did not know and were never told that my Grandson was using heroin! We did not know and were not informed of how to help him or what to look for when he got home. When he checked out of Valley Hope the only thing that was discussed was payment! It is always about the money and not the life of a human being. Can they alert family if the staff can not do anything about drug use. Someone please explain all this to me because I do not understand. I am devastated and my 21 year old beautiful Grandson is dead.
  • BS
    Unqualified admins Fairly clean but pretty run down Mostly worried about money not patient Staff is mostly ok, one sucked and had no idea about What or how to act toward addicts and Admin Amy useless Funny because my grandparents sit on National Board and do not think they are not Already on it.
  • Ao
    Dank, dirty, disorganized, unprofessional.
  • NRH
    I really cannot believe all of the negative comments I have read here. I was an inpatient at PVH in 2006 and 2007. I remained sober for about a year after my time there in 2006 but it was in 2007 that I fully realized sobriety and it was ALL due to PVH. I was a complete basket case when I arrived in 2007. It took a lot of work from the entire staff to help me. I had lost my home, girlfriend (wife now) and job. If it weren't for PVH I would most likely be dead now. Instead, I have been sober for nearly 10 years, I have a great wife, home and job. Let me restate this, it is ONLY because of PVH that I am alive and doing this well. They believed in me when I was absolutely incapable of believing in myself, much less able to do anything for myself. They nursed me back to health mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually. AA states that it works if you work it and I would say the same is true of PVH. Anyone that is giving this incredible place such low reviews is either very delusional or expected them to fix everything without having to do any work themselves. THANK YOU PVH FOR SAVING MY LIFE!!!
  • CC
    I agree with NH actually I had somethings to add. I had hoped by Now Parker Valley in Colorado would have made some must needed changes starting with their lack of knowledge on certain narcotic addictions and how they differ from regular alcohol addictions. I was pushed out of detox because they needed the bed then I had difficulty getting up early the first few days. The first day in my room my chaplain and my counselor cqme and banged on my door like I was a teenager late for school. I had been addicted to meth and had been working all nights sometimes until 4 in the morning so I didn\'t have a Normal sleep schedule. They had no regard to how meth addicts crash for days or how long I had that sleep schedule. Instead I was riduculed and accused of not taking my sobriety seriously or not wanting it bad enough. My counselor and I didn\'t get along And she was the head of department so I couldn\'t switch counselors because she was in charge (she new nothing about my addiction). I was criticized for not wearing the proper clothing give me a break it was 70-80 degrees outside and like most addicts I was broke so its not like I could go out and buy clothes for this occasion nor was it as important as getting clean the rules were No tank tops, shorts had to be long, no cleavage or stomach showing. ect. My clothes were not slutty and I had No cleavage however certain women and my old lady councelor made me feel like all i wanted to do was show off skin instead of concentrate on sobriety. What I was wearing seemed to be a higher priority then the program if u ask me, yet I was accused again for not taking my sobriety serious. Just becuase some people were insecure & had track scars or picking scars or bone thin or a few pounds over weight doesn\'t give them the right to judge me for wearing a tanktop in 80 degree weather. All eyes were constantly on me and it had nothing to do with drugs or alcohol. Gossip was another issue like it was High School all over again with the \"cool groups\" who were mean and judgemental. All the Parker Valley employees agreed with and believed everything the \"cool kids\" were saying and they could do no wrong...They treated me like I had low morals and that I had character flaws and like I didn\'t deserve a chance at anything except to be persecuted and judged. My Hot Seat turned into one of the most traumatizing events I have ever experienced I wasn\'t aloud to stick up for myself I had to just sit there and listen to what these people thought of me for an hour. Whoever created that Hot Seat tactic must have been a cruel and ignorant bully...Anyway, you could say this place really did a number on me. I am still confused as to why being a licensed therapist was not a qualification for some if not all of the councelors at Parker Valley Hope and it takes more then a lifetime of addiction to know all there is to know about treatment. That\'s all I got. LOL
    They are there for you. Many classes for you and family. Caring community No weaknesses Facility is very clean. They are there for you and your family. Many recommendation for your situation. Very peaceful. Classes are very useful for you and your family.
  • John
    If you want to send your loved one to a frat house w/ coed dorms, be my guest. This place lacks contextual awareness. They expect people who\'s brain chemistry is off to be rational. I broke up two fights while in there. Constant cussing and no supervision in coed dorms. Be my guest...
  • Tom
    Chaos
    Kind, respectful staff. Close to my home Encouraged moving immediately to a 12 Step program which she is currently heavily involved in.
    Easily accessible for us. Everyone was super friendly. I felt they treated everyone with respect which is important. Often times the one with the addiction is talked down to.
  • DKC
    The people really cared for families and patients. Not very confrontative with addressing other contributing factors. Strengths: Availability, aftercare program, continuity with local support. Weaknesses: Not many alternative methods used, expensive and a wait list.
  • NH
    Staff provides very inconsistent information with no accountability, The lack of professionalism that was displayed numerous times by a staff member not treating me with respect. I tried meeting with the program director numerous times to address my concerns but she would not see me. Respect was only shown by a handful of staff members. Beginning on day one I was not able to focus on recovery due to the poor treatment and given different information by various staff members causing a tremendous amount of anxiety, They focus more on trying to focus on your personal life and telling you what to do rather than giving you the material and therapy needed for recovery. All patients are not treated equally and they do seem to discriminate and judge. I would not recommend this facility to anyone that wants to focus on recovery and be in a professional environment.
  • RNB
    The meals were good. Breakfast was definitely the best meal. Unfortunately there wasn\'t one day you could sleep in; you had to be up by 7 everyday. Not all, but most of the staff was very unprofessional and rude. The daily schedule was super repetitive and boring. I did learn a lot about myself and addiction though. Half of the patients acted like they were in high school as well. I only recommend this place because you do learn a lot about yourself and addiction. But, they should give more one on one time with your counselor. The living situation after the detox rooms were great too. The beds were super comfortable. I do recommend this place. Hopefully the other patients that are there while you are happen to be a better group than mine.
  • Rebecca
    Rehab gives you a medically safe way to detox and exposure to 12 step programs. There was good food and a structured environment. However, a downfall was co-ed sleeping arrangements.
  • DN
    I financed my sisters entire stay. Too expensive.
  • Lori
    Patients are treated with respect. The meals are very nutritious. Patients are allowed to leave 3 hrs per day once they have been moved from the nursing station to the dorms. The counseling and nurses are superb.
    The same old, same old treatments/therapies are tired and out-dated and that's what (my husband) got there. In the aftermath, I organized and made sure he paid what he owed, over and above what insurance covered, and that also often meant he was unable to give his portion of our household bills, so I would have to contribute more to that. As I never visited him while he was there, I can only speak to the condition of his health and well being and addiction upon his return. It was not good. Really, all that facility did was rack up more bills for us at a time we did not have extra to put toward something that did not work.
  • Lg
    The staff is very mean and aloof....They only have 2 doctors, neither of whom can remember patients because they're so slammed...The patients act like high schoolers. Therapeutic, no.