Valley Vista in Bradford, VT

Relapse Prevention
Family Engagement
Stress Management

ABOUT VALLEY VISTA

Located in Bradford, Vt., Valley Vista provides specialized residential treatment for adults and young adults (ages 16-22) struggling with chemical dependency and co-occurring disorders. Pregnant women and individuals struggling with opioid addiction are given admission priority.

According to the facility's website, Valley Vista's additional services include sober living, medication-assisted treatment (MAT), case management, access to a primary care physician, and spiritual programming, among others. Valley Vista's MAT program makes the center one of only four treatment facilities (8.7 percent) in Vermont to offer inpatient medical detoxification.

Once admitted, clients may first participate in an initial substance abuse assessment and, if necessary, psychiatric evaluation, which are used to form an individualized treatment program. According to the facility's website, the average length of residential treatment for adults is 27 days, while the program for young adults typically lasts between 40 and 65 days.

The evidence-based treatment programs at Valley Vista are gender- and age-specific and adhere to the 12-step model of recovery.

If necessary, Valley Vista offers medication-assisted treatment (methadone) to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms of opioid dependency and help curb cravings. Medication management is also available for individuals struggling with co-occurring disorders.

Although treatment differs between the men’s and women’s programs in some aspects, all clients participate in individual, group, and family counseling, relapse prevention work, and psychoeducational groups. Men’s treatment focuses on cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) with a trauma-sensitive approach. The women’s program puts greater emphasis on dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and addresses specific issues most-relevant to women.

Additionally, programs may also incorporate a range of alternative therapies such as guided meditation and yoga. Family participation throughout treatment is highly encouraged.

In addition to offering similar options as adult programming, the adolescent program addresses emotional and behavioral issues common among adolescents, such peer relationships and family dynamics. Valley Vista also coordinates with the Vermont Teachers Association to provide clients with tutorial and school re-entry programs.

The center's website notes Valley Vista employs a multidisciplinary team comprised of board-certified psychiatrists, a 24-hour nursing staff, substance misuse and mental health counselors, case managers, consulting teachers and tutors, and a support staff. To date, the nine individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter gave mixed reviews for the staff's experience and training.

Staff's Experience and Training: 3.7/5

Valley Vista is one of 12 treatment facilities (26.1 percent) in Vermont to be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).

Valley Vista's residential center is an 80-bed facility with separate age- and gender-specific units. Although specific information concerning the facility’s sleeping arrangements and amenities is scarce, Valley Vista’s website describes the facility as offering a “safe tranquil setting that is conducive to recovery.”

Individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date gave mostly neutral ratings to aspects of the facility's accommodations and amenities that were assessed.

Facility Cleanliness and Upkeep: 3.3/5

The eight alumni polled by Rehabs to date provided mixed opinions about the facility. Most metrics reviewed received neutral or negative ratings. Specifically, many alumni reported a lack of structure and issues of understaffing. “Didn't have much outside time to exercise because they were always understaffed,” Robin wrote in a representative review. However, the four alumni polled on the matters tended to appreciate the amount of counseling options available, though felt holistic approaches were lacking.

Counseling Options: 3.5/5
Connectivity/Visitor Policies: 2.8/5
Holistic Offerings: 1.8/5

This sentiment of understaffing was echoed by Guido, the lone alum to review the facility on Yelp.[1] The three alumni to offer positive overall reviews tended to praise the effectiveness of treatment and the staff's level of experience and training.

The six loved ones polled by Rehabs.com gave mixed feedback that skewed positive. Those who offered positive remarks tended to emphasize the thorough communication with family members and opportunities for family participation. "Communication with family was thorough," an anonymous loved one wrote in a representative review.

Family Participation: 4.2/5
Connectivity/Visitor Policies: 4/5

However, several loved ones did support alumni opinions regarding a lack of opportunity for physical activity and understaffing.

Though Rehabs.com has yet to receive any reviews from staff members, 16 current and former employees on Indeed offered on average rating of 3.4 out of five stars .[2] Most praised the effectiveness of treatment as well as their co-workers' level of training and experience. However, several staff members did note that the facility was understaffed, echoing the opinions of those surveyed by Rehabs.com

According to Valley Vista’s website, it accepts private payment as well as most third party insurances, including, but not limited to, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Aetna, and Vermont Medicaid.

[1] https://www.yelp.com/biz/valley-vista-bradford
[2] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Valley-Vista/reviews

Published on September 2018

I thought the councelors / advisors were young and inexperienced. Location.

the rehab from heck. crud food. un educated therapists. 1/2 nurses are the meanest people there. RA's there are great though, but they are little followers and will never stick up for you. they are afraid OF THE MAN WEARING 2,000 DOLLAR ALLIGATOR LOAFERS. ceiling in cafeteria is falling in. where do I start. the only reason to go there is if you wanna smoke cigarettes at your rehab. it is literally the same thing every day. short staffed. psychiatrist got there degree out of a cereal box. Just run away from this place and never look back. If you wanna go to a rehab full of jail birds that act like they are at jail. then this is the place for you. If you wanna actually get clean don't go here. Toxic environment.

I recently spent 33 days at Valley Vista, and couldn't be happier with the facility and the staff that helped me through a really hard time in my life. Just to set the stage, I come from an upper middle class home, and thought that rehab should take place in a country club setting with the views like you see on the TV commercials. This facility was clean, well maintain and staffed, but didn't enable me to cruise through my time there. As far as I am concerned, massages, and beach views are for vacations, not for working through a powerful addiction. That said, this was my first experience at an inpatient rehab, and I was very opposed to going, thinking that I could kick my addiction on my own. After a week or so, I woke up and realized that I could have my life back. I dug deep into my evils, and let myself be very vulnerable with a group of guys that I didn't know. As I look back, I am amazed by how all the men in this program let their guard down. Many of these guys came from jail, prison, and broken homes, but that didn't discourage them from sharing their true feelings. All of those involved in my stay felt comfortable talking about The therapist I worked with was an absolute angel, and she didn't let me BS my way through the program. If it wasn't for Valley Vista, I would have lost everything.

The staff were good. There was no physical activity I believe the staff has changed since the time I am speaking of so no opinion

Communication with family was thorough. Limited to treatment Was happy with the staff clear communication and kept me updated to status of treatment

Great staff but not a lot of activities. My daughter was heavy into pills and is a success story from what she received there -- she relapsed once but that is not unusual.

Counseling was good. I feel that we should have been more structured and have a better mental health model as well.

long stays. no religion. I was there 129 days and was taught how to live free of drugs after 30 years of using.

For the most part the ra's were very caring and cpassionate. Everday at least one class was cancelled at the last minute,get active time nothing but naps occurred. A few girls were always the onss getting in trouble. whether it was true or not. Would not recommend us girls are who and what got us thru the progfam

Strengths: Location. Weaknesses: Staff understanding.

I liked that they have this exercise you have to do with the first step to past. I not only realized a lot about my self but why I did the things I had done. However, I did not like the co-ed.

They had seperate mens and womens treatment programs there. Then thery had sepreate programs for teenagers. they are all individual treatment that fit the individual needs. However, the location was not the best.

It was okay

Didn't have much outside time to exercise because they were always understaffed. Doors were locked at times so we couldn't even go out and enjoy the one patch of grass we had. Impossible to see a doctor. The drama was awful. I truly believe that there should be 2 programs. One for people who are serious about their recovery and 1 for those mandated to be there.