Village Behavioral Health in Louisville, TN

2431 Jones Bend Road
Louisville TN 37777

Village Behavioral Health Philosophy

Situated at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, Village Behavioral Health offers a natural tranquility, 12-step treatment and 24-hour supervision help adolescents recover from their struggles with addiction. Apart from individual/family counseling and addiction education, the program offers vocational therapy, outdoor activities and an academic program.

• Individual Therapy
    This term describes one-on-one therapy, in which a patient and trained counselor, social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist meets privately with a patient to discuss challenges related to lifestyle, work, family and romantic relationships that may have contributed to the development of an addiction.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Stress Management

Relapse Prevention

Leisure Time Skills

ABOUT VILLAGE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH

Located in Louisville, Tenn., on 65 secluded acres near the Tennessee River, Village Behavioral Health provides residential treatment to adolescents seeking treatment for behavioral health, mental health, and substance abuse disorders. The facility is designed for individuals 13 to 17 years old, and offers academic credit through its on-site high school. It is one of the 48 (22.1 percent) of facilities in Tennessee that offer treatment programs to adolescents. Detox is not available.

Village Behavioral Health is one of 61 (28.1 percent) of Tennessee residential facilities. Upon admission, clients undergo medical and psychological examinations in order to develop personalized treatment plans and identify co-occurring disorders. Medication management is provided for those who need it.

Treatment is centered around the 12-Steps and uses both dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). While CBT is commonly used, DBT is an emerging option in Tennessee as 121 (55.8 percent) of facilities now use it. Residents attend individual, group, and family therapy, in addition to Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings. Village Behavioral Health also offers recreational therapies that incorporate crafts, music, dance, drama, and sports.

Adolescents at the facility receive 24-hour supervision and an introduction to a relapse prevention program. Additionally, treatment coincides with classes at The Village Academy, an on-site, accredited private school. Each teen is evaluated and placed in an individual course of study, and he or she can earn academic credit toward a high school diploma. An individualized aftercare plan is designed prior to a client’s departure.

The multidisciplinary staff is comprised of an adolescent psychiatrist, licensed social workers, master's level therapists, registered nurses, a dietician, and licensed professional counselors. The Village Academy employs full-time, credentialed teachers, according to the facility’s website. It is one of the 65 (30 percent) of facilities accredited by the Joint Commission in Tennessee.

Positioned near the Great Smoky Mountains, residences at Village Behavioral Health are gender-specific and resemble summer camp cabins. Each shared cabin has multiple bunk beds and rustic furniture. The classrooms, counseling rooms, and common areas are similarly decorated with woodsy charm. The facility also has an on-site pool, activity room with exercise equipment, outdoor walking trail, and ropes course.

Six of the eight alumni polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing were critical of Village Behavioral Health. Five alumni advised potential clients and loved ones to consider treatment elsewhere. One of the reviewers, S.B., warned of dishonest advertising, writing: “Their website is a complete lie; nothing they say goes on (hiking, horseback riding, therapy once a week) happens. I would have to bother the staff to contact my therapist in order to have a session at all.”

Reviewers who reported positive experiences, though, especially praised the staff. Despite a positive experience overall, reviewer K.O. only awarded two stars for accommodations and amenities, but wrote: “This place has helped me get my life back together. It stunk at first, but they are really trying to make it better.”

On Google, Village Behavioral Health Treatment Center has an average rating of two out of five stars from 47 reviews to date.[1] Reviewers described the facility as “not particularly fair,” “horrible,” and “traumatizing.” The reviews tended to note a lack of success in treating co-occurring disorders.

To date, Rehabs.com has received five positive and four negative reviews about Village Behavioral Health from loved ones. Several indicated that the facility was understaffed and the “worst place to ever send a child.” Several loved ones indicated that both positive and negative reviews were written by staff, either voluntarily or by force. A few loved ones noted that the program worked for their loved one.

Rehabs.com has received feedback from four Village Behavioral Health staffers to date. Three reviews were very negative, while one was mostly positive. “I would not send my own children here and I worked there,” HB wrote. By contrast, S.W. wrote about the benefits of “very structured schedules which fosters therapeutic buy-in.”

On Indeed, Village Behavioral Health has an average rating of 2.7 out of five stars from 26 reviews.[2] On Glassdoor, it has a 3.6 out of five stars from 15 review. [3] In an Indeed review that summarizes most of the feedback from staff, a former employee wrote: “This place could be great. Key word, "could". Staff are either awesome or completely incompetent. Those that are awesome end up picking up the slack for those that are not.”

Village Behavioral Health works with private and public insurance providers, including Medicaid. In Tennessee, only 137 (63.1 percent) of treatment facilities accept Medicaid.

[2] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Village-Behavioral-Health/reviews
[3] https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Village-Behavioral-Health-Reviews-E1644689.htm

Published on June 2019

S.M.

Hi, so currently im on a TA, we are not really suppose to be on phones and things for our treatment but just really wanted to really say something becuase im sure that the place looks at these so thats why, and ive looked at the other comments and some i like and some are so trashy. Okay yes we dont have the best food, but at lest they airnt starving us. And the staff, not all of them is great i get that there is a few there, and if yall recognise this name yall know who im talking about and such, they will be there for you they will talk you if you need someone to talk to jusr dont judge someone by there aditude. When i first had to come here i didnt want to.but thanks to the actull good staff that is there and that actully wants to help me talk about the things going on in my head.

JK

I am the legal guardian of my son and we are doing everything in our hands to take him out of there.

AFM

This is the worst place Ever! The management is horrible, they get mad at the staff when the staff get close with the kids and try to help the kids cope with their problems! Some of the staff their cuss the kids, scream and yell. I would never let my child come here! This place needs to be shut down for a while and just get new management! Because me as a mom this place is horrible!!!! And one of the managers she is known to be the number one person who manipulates and targets people which is uncalled for, bullying,and just not right!!! Parents DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS HERE

Michea

This place really helped me a lot. I was there for eight months but those eight months really helped me a lot. I had a hard time at first but once I realized that what I was doing was unnecessary, it became a lot easier. The staff and therapists helped me through so much and pulled me through a lot of troubles that I had.

MC

HB

I would not send my own children here and I worked there. I am not the only one to work there say that. I have seen first hand kids end up worse then when they started. Do your research. Ask them how many accident" they have had because of understanding or how many hospitializations they have had because of mismanagement. Ask these questions, document their answers before you risk moving forward with them.

CM

Hi, My child was at the Village for a dual-diagnosis need. She was using substances, sneaking out of the house, stealing to support her habit, cutting school, cutting herself and trying to overdose on pills. My child had been to other treatment centers and had plenty of out patient experiences as well as residential. Sending her to The Village was a hard decision as we lived 2000 miles away and would not be able to visit every week. It was a last resort as other residential treatment centers weren't able to handle the dual-diagnosis need. The first couple of weeks were hard as our child wouldn't get out of bed and was very depressed. This wasn't a big surprise as she was also not able to access her drugs of choice and, or objects to cut herself with. We began family therapy once weekly and our child was seen in individual therapy once weekly in addition to a therapist for the addiction component. This is rare as we hadn't had this experience in other centers. Our child connected well. There were also groups and school throughout the day. This in addition to the beautiful mountain setting, allowed for the treatment experience to be positive. Being away and connected to nature is helpful. Now, the most important part is the commitment and love the staff provided, Don't get me wrong, it's very structured, but the commitment to healing was above and beyond amazing. Everyone from, the director to the nurses and of course the two therapist we worked with. We had conference calls to discuss the treatment planning, progress and of course the best of all for the child. My child's main therapist's set was impressive. My child was discharged recently and stepped down to out patient care in our home town. The whole team went all out to make sure my child was leaving the program with the best possible continued care. There are so many amazing staff members. These staff members work as a team and they were all on the calls we had to work toward the best possible outcomes. The staff helped with coordinating insurance, appeals, follow through on discharge planning, gently listening to me cry when I was concerned.....truly amazing bunch!! As far as treatment goes, My child gained a skill set to regroup with and step back in to the hustle of everyday life. There are no guarantees, but if a child is able to build trust and open up to their therapist, many doors can open. It doesn't happen overnight, but it will. This is what my child experienced as did we as a family build trust with a committed team of clinicians. Again, I can't say enough positive things about the Village. Our family visited 4-5 times over an almost 90 day stay. I experienced, in person, the beauty of treatment, even though In lived so far away. With Sincere Regards, A loving parent/grandparent....CM

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experience with our program. We hope your grandchild continues with the amazing progress she made in our program. Please stay in touch and let us know if you need anything at all.

Michell

If I could rate this place lower I would. By far the worst experience. The staff are less than honest. We had our child there for only 3 weeks before taking her out. It was unreal the lies we were told by a bunch of "so called" professionals.if you are a parent who worries about your child and wants to keep up with their progress or even check on your child then please don't send your child here. There is NO communication! It's that bad!

NR

It saddens my heart that teenagers are placed here for treatment. The website & other information available is dishonest to say the least. Once a child is in this faculty, everything is dictated by money, from the treatment plans to the length stay. I imagine that the few positive reviews were dictated & written by corporate staff or the same people that so grossly misrepresent this facility on their website.

Rebecca

I believe that the staff truly care. They helped our daughter, see that what she was doing was wrong! She had to stay for just over six weeks. They worked hard, for the whole family. If your child is having issues that you or anyone can't seem to get help. Please try this place, if we could give better then a 5 star, we would!! Thank you all!!

M.B.

My son was a patient for just over three months and I was very satisfied with his care and he was also. He bonded with the staff and it was very emotional the day he was discharged. The day before he was discharged, he had an attack of appendicitis and was taken to the emergency room. Three different staff members stayed with him at the hospital till I could get to him--a three hour trip. He had surgery the next day and was discharged--three weeks sooner than the projected date of discharge. He also had several visits with the local dentist while a patient there I was always informed of any time he was in pain or sick and plans were made promptly to get medical help when needed I could call anytime to ask about him if I felt anxious or worried. He got regular phone calls and home passes and earned other privileges. He actually told me he was "having fun". They helped him learn to control himself under pressure and he is now using the skills he learned there to control his destructive behavior at home. This is more than I was able to accomplish. Without the help of this program, I believe my son would have been in deep trouble. They were able to get his attention and help change negative behavior patterns. He uses the coping skills daily to control his impulsiveness. We are following up on other programs--counseling, medical, educational, job seeking, etc. Villages does an awesome job but it is the responsibility of the family to have a plan in place to reinforce the foundation laid by them. It is not a luxurious place; the swimming pool doesn't work and there are no horses. It is a rugged place but the kids are nourished and cared for by a dedicated overworked staff. My son highly respected them and came home with a better understanding of obedience and compliance of rules. I would highly recommend the facility for anyone who has a troubled and/or out-of-control teenager. We will never forget them.

KO

This place has helped me get my life back together. It stunk at first, but they are really trying to make it better. And one of the supervisors is awesome at her job! I love her. And another woman there is a great therapist.

SW

I worked at Village Behavioral Health for four years. My experience was very positive. The Village is a treatment facility for children with mental health and substance abuse problems. It is not a daycare or summer camp. Patients are encouraged to process, confront, and change behaviors which lead to placement in an inpatient setting. Patients admitted to the Village have both family and individual therapy weekly. They also have group therapy daily and attend school. Children admitted to the Village have very structured schedules which fosters therapeutic buy-in. Patients are allowed passes and earn incentives based on positive behavior. Many of the poor reviews are from former employees who were terminated due to failing to comply with work schedules, etc. If your child has not benefited from previous outpatient treatment and requires a residential setting, I would encourage you to call the admissions department and schedule a tour of the facility.

AU

The Village offers a unique treatment setting not found at any other facility. They are on 65 acres of wooded campus, allowing the adolescents to experience things they may not have experienced in other walks of life. The facility uses an effective behavioral modification system that allows the kids to earn incentives on a regular basis. The treatment team are genuinely invested in the best interest of the kids and want them to do well. I would recommend this treatment to anyone who is seeking help with their children or looking for a place of employment.

HM

Wonderful program! I can\'t say enough about how great this program and the staff have been with my daughter! When their help and guidance my daughter is successfully discharging today!!! When i found this program I was completely lost I was living my greatest fear never knowing if that next call was about my baby being found dead or in trouble. My baby has been dog free almost a year and is now making safe and healthy choices! There isn\'t enough gratitude in the world to cover for thankful I am for this staff and their hard work and dedication!

AW

Terrible communication. For-Profit, corporate owned results in inexperienced, therapists with very little knowledge of complex psychological issues. More of a containment facility than a therapeutic environment.

ECW

I resided at The Village for Fie months...they made my life a living heck so I tell you do not send your child here do research

Jasiah

this is js and this is not the place to send your kids to and I\'m still in the village it\'s not lovey at all everything in the village is old as heck the school is not even good school ...but it\'s not good at all and when you first get here you got to go to a lock down unit. but DON\'T BRING YOUR KIDS HERE PLEASE.

Isabella

I was a patient here for just over a month in June 2013. I am writing this because this is all I can do to warn others about this care. If you love your child, please please please do not send them here. I was in Magnolia cabin and it was the worst month of my life. I have been to other rehab facilities and I can say this facility was not a place for any human being. According to this facility, everything is a privilege. If you have a loved one and are considering this place, I urge you to not come here. I would not be writing a review 2 years later if this was not something close to my heart to share. I went as far as to contacting the head of whoever is in charge of this place with my complaints, and I received an email back stating that there would be an investigation and I would get the results. Needless to say, that never happened. Please don\'t send your loved ones here- literally any other place would be better.

ST

This is the worst place to ever send a child whom has ANY type if behavioral or mental health issue. They are continuously understaffed and take admissions that should never be there just to meet quota. The upper management is like a cult. They are all about themselves and will rarely talk to you as a staff. The CEO is NEVER on campus and has others to do his job for him. All he does is sit in his office and play golf and read the internet... when he is actually there. The Residential Director has no experience and doesn\'t even talk to the staff or the kids. We were told not to go to her office. She is always in a \"meeting\". The kids do not get their therapy like they are supposed to. I am in the process of looking for another job. If you read this before your child ends up here, please do not send them here. If your looking for a job... do NOT work here. This place treats the behaviorally and mentally ill like an assembly line. They do not care!

SB

If I could rate this place lower, I would. I cannot begin to explain how awful and ineffective The Village is. Their website is a complete lie; nothing they say goes on (hiking, horseback riding, therapy once a week) happens. I would have to bother the staff to contact my therapist in order to have a session at all. The staff repeatedly disrespected the patients. The facility was disgusting and probably unsafe. Nursing and even the people in charge were incredibly incompetent and rude. I would not recommend this place to anyone.