Walter Hoving Home New York in Garrison, NY

Call (845) 424-3674 to Contact Walter Hoving Home New York

40 Walter Hoving Road
Garrison NY 10524

Walter Hoving Home New York Philosophy

Walter Hoving Home New York is a faith-based substance abuse treatment center for chemically dependent women pursuing long-term recovery through the word of Christ. During the 12-month residential program, individuals will progress through four stages, each of which provides clients with new privileges and responsibilities such as resident training and staff assistance. At Walter Hoving Home, residents are given the opportunity to apply for a driver’s license, attend vocational, G.E.D., and computer classes, and prepare for reentry into the community.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

How to Win Over Depression

Principles for Decision Making

Handling Conflicts

John and Elsie Benton

Founders

From their first naïve venture to reach out to women on the street to the present, the Bentons have demonstrated a genuine love and concern for the enslaved and embittered young women who are in such desperate need of the compassion and discipline provided by the Walter Hoving Home.

ABOUT THE WALTER HOVING HOME NEW YORK

The Walter Hoving Home is a nonprofit, faith-based residential treatment facility for adult women struggling with addiction and other life-controlling conditions. There are four discipleships across the country — Las Vegas, Nev.; Oxford, N.J.; Pasadena, Calif.; and Garrison, N.Y. The Garrison facility, 45 miles north of New York City, offers long-term treatment that enables clients to rebuild their lives and develop a relationship with Christ.

The process starts with an intake interview, which includes an overview of the program and understanding of clients’ alcohol and drug use, physical health, medications, and financial status. Participants must agree to accept a new way of life through Christian living.

The facility offers a six- and 12-month program. Clients enter the “pre-acceptance” phase, when they are guests and evaluate if the program is a good fit.

After three weeks, they begin to move through four stages of treatment — freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior — gradually assuming more roles and responsibilities. Sophomores can take their driving test and earn their GED. Juniors do errands and become involved in the community. Seniors take a career transition class and work with new residents. During the Completer’s Program, clients transition into society and find work while still living in the facility.

Throughout all stages, clients attend classes in the faith-based learning center, chapel services, Bible study, and do chores, such as cooking, office work, and maintenance.

There is scant information available, though information sourced through a Rehabs.com survey suggested that many staff members graduated the program and are in recovery. Volunteers also help teach, tutor, and pray with clients.

The Walter Hoving Home is a Tudor mansion set on 22-acres. Images on the website show modestly furnished rooms and wooded outdoor areas. Clients live in two large dormitories. Dress code is “modest, feminine, clean and neat.” Smoking is prohibited.

Alumni of the Walter Hoving Home submitted largely positive feedback. Of the seven former clients polled by Rehabs.com to date, a majority provided highly favorable opinions for most categories, including the facility's cleanliness and lauded the faith-based approach.

Faith-Based Approach: 5/5
Facility's Cleanliness and Upkeep: 4/5

However, overall, the alumni felt the facility could improve in some areas, specifically the experience and training of staff and the limited or lack thereof counseling options.

Staff's Level of Experience and Training: 2.5/5
Counseling Options: 1/5

Several reviewers praised the faith-based approach and life-saving results. “Got introduced to a relationship with Christ that has saved my life,” alum Emily wrote. However, two criticized the lack of 12-step inclusion and, in a harsher review, P.J.C. described the program as “another ruse to make money in the name of God.”

On secondary sites, reviewers offered positive views of the facility to date: 4.4 out of five stars based on 11 reviews on Google, 4.9 stars based on 84 reviews of the organization as a whole, rather than Garrison exclusively, on Facebook, which the facility can manage. [1] [2] Many praised the faith-based program and its power to help overcome addictions. Isolated criticism related to medication policy and concerns with money.

Three loved ones offered mixed feedback, skewed to the positive about the facility to date: one favorable, one moderately favorable, one negative. Two polled by Rehabs.com provided more detailed opinions. Echoing alumni reviews, the loved ones reported a lack of counseling options, and two loved ones were split concerning the level of family participation, offering ratings of two stars and five stars for this metric.

One praised the program’s post-treatment resources, such as job training, another referenced the need for 12-Step and, in an outright critical review, Kevin wrote: “I felt this place was cult-like.”

According to the Walter Hoving Home website, women pay a non-refundable $500 entrance fee and fundraise $500 a month. It notes: “Each lady is assessed individually, and we work with those who are unable to pay.”

[^1}: GoogleReview

[2] [https://www.facebook.com/pg/walterhoving home/reviews/?ref=pageinternal] (https://www.facebook.com/pg/walterhoving home/reviews/?ref=pageinternal)

Published on May 2018

Tanya

The Hoving Home was more than instrumental in me re-establishing my relationship with Christ and transforming my LIFE! The Home provides an atmosphere conducive to HEALING, BREAK THROUGH and Life TRANSFORMING CHANGE with teaching you how to apply Biblical Principles to your life. I not only learned how to seek TRUTH and understanding in God's word (not their words) I learned how to apply it to my life, and use the truth of God's word to combat whatever plagued me. I came to the Home with 3 different mental diagnosis and years of taking meds for depression, mania, PTSD and anxiety. The Hoving Home taught me how to take my psychological problem (which was a SPIRITUAL PROBLEM) to the Lord in prayer, meditation and faith that the HOPE and FUTURE that GOD has for me would and could prevail anything that my past or present tried to hinder. I gained a new identity in Christ, confidence... in Christ, integrity, and how to go from good to GREAT in the eyes of the Lord instead of man. The HOVING HOME is not a cult, a boot camp, halfway house or a rehab. It is not based on any religion! It is based on RELATIONSHIP! A solid relationship between you and the Creator who made you. I would not take my hardest day their back for my best day in the world. I now know TRUE FREEDOM! In Christ Jesus!

Cb

I was there and it was nothing but all they was worried about was money how they were going to get paid I was homeless and I came there on my own with nothing I was beat down and they ask me about my payment they asked me to call my family and ask them to see if they can s help me with money. In order to stay there and when I and when I couldn't afford to stay there

JG

Amazing place with lasting results!

Michelle

I was lost broken ready to die lost everything got a one way ticket with only clothes on my back The Walter Hoving Home introduced me to Jesus!! 13 years being an addict is not who I am! I was born again new person built up into who God made me to be!! I tried reg rehabs they did not transform me it took a year program to get me centered then another 8 months of interning!! I got everything back plus so much more! #13YearsNeverTurnedback #NoShame

Cb

They are all about money and cause I ain't have no one to pay for me to stay there I couldn't go out and that place is a cult I left I been clean two years and they don't have mental health I got sick and they said God will heal me wouldn't send me to a hospital couldn't talk to my kid for 30 days horrible

Candice

I attended this program for a year and it's changed my life. I've now been sober of 18 months and I don't ever want the life I had before God and this home entered my life. I'm so greatful that this home provided me with a new way of living.

AMM

My sister went here and I don't think it helped her. It was all faith based where she needed those steps to help her overcome addiction where I feel like they just told her give it all to God he will help you.

SJ

This facility allows you to independently grow your relationship with God. All of the staff have been residents..... But it works they have been in business 48 years. I did not complete their program but I have not used in 6 years and have to remember every day that I don't want to live like that again....

AMA

Strengths: Jesus. Weaknesses: Lack of the twelve steps. My experience was a good one. Stayed clean and sober 5 years. Back to rehab I must.

Strengths: Christian-focused. Long-term program. Post-treatment resources - job training etc. Weaknesses: Christian-focused.

Kevin

I felt that they tried to brainwash and lie. My girlfriend went there. They told me I couldn\'t visit for months, at the same time telling her her I could visit. I felt this place was cult-like.

pjc

Worst place ever! These people make an exorbitant amount of money off of naive donors. Don't waste your time. Another ruse to make money in the name of God.

Ashley

The Walter Hoving Home holds a special place in my heart! It was the place that God used to completely transform my life.

Emily

Got introduced to a relationship with Christ that has saved my life.