Westport House in Westport, CT

9 Fragrant Pines Court
Westport CT 06880

Westport House Philosophy

Westport House is a multi-phase sober residential living program designed for to help young men realize their full potential through real world opportunities while supported by peers and a professional recovery team

Our unique program called Phased IntegrationSM helps our young men develop coping skills and resiliency through a process of real world exposure, increasing responsibility and autonomy, and character development.

Phase I of our program builds on the gains made in treatment through goal-oriented action and the practical application of new coping skills to real life circumstances. Upon meeting the goals and objectives of Phase I, residents transition to one of our beautiful nearby Phase II homes. Phase II of our program further refines the skills of healthy living within a framework of independence and accountability supported by a community of peers and a professional recovery team.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Vocational and Academic Planning

Narrative Group and Trauma Focused Group

Specialized for Young Men

Greg Gillam MA

Director of Clinical Services

Gregory has been educated and trained in working with individuals who have co-occurring mental health and addiction disorders. Greg earned his Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology after completing a year-long graduate internship program at Caron Treatment Centers of Pennsylvania. His time at Caron, coupled with personal experiences with loved ones who have suffered from addiction, has culminated in a passion for working in the addiction field.

Greg completed his undergraduate and graduate schooling with high honors and was named to the Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges. While in school, Greg was also named to Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology, and Phi Kappa Phi, the nation’s most selective collegiate honor society. He has co-authored and assisted in the presentation of research on the facilitation of Adlerian Social Interest in Youth. In his free time, Greg enjoys traveling and spending time with his family.

Ava Diamond LCSW

Primary Therapist

Ava holds a Master’s in Clinical Social Work from Columbia University and has completed intensive trainings in addiction and trauma recovery, emotional intelligence, emerging adulthood, family systems, and motivation. She has over 20 years of experience both in private practice and with non-profit and private mental health organizations serving young adults and their families. Ava uses several clinical models – including EMDR, CBT, DBT, Relational Theory, and Family Systems Theory – to provide the best clinical practice for each client. An accomplished athlete, Ava combines her professional athletic experience with her clinical background to empower Westport House clients and their families to optimize their mental, physical, and professional selves.

ABOUT WESTPORT HOUSE IN WESTPORT, CT

Westport House, located in Westport, Conn., offers sober living housing for young men struggling with substance abuse issues and co-occurring disorders. The facility also offers an intensive outpatient program and medication management. Westport House has three sober living facilities and one outpatient facility.

Westport House offers a two-phase supportive living program. In the first phase, clients follow a structured schedule to set achievable goals. Goals may include something simple like completing household chores to more complex like gaining a 12-step sponsor. The second phase transitions clients into a separate home. Residents continue to participate in treatment sessions, and Westport offers employment and academic support during this phase of treatment.

The facility’s treatment program follows the 12-Step* and SMART Recovery methods. Clients receive clinical treatment services from Westport’s nearby outpatient facility, which involves fifteen hours a week of individual, group, and family therapy. According to the facility’s website, clients attend groups three days per week, three hours at a time, for eight to twelve weeks. Medication management services are available, and the facility recommends Vivitrol when indicated for those with opioid addiction.

Westport House programming has a strong physical health and recreation component. Activities include playing team sports, kayaking, deep sea fishing, paintball, rock climbing, hiking, sailing, golf, skiing/snowboarding, and attending concerts and professional sports games. Westport House also offers yoga, meditation, acupuncture and therapeutic massage. Families are included in the treatment program through regular educational workshops and family therapy led by master's-level clinicians.

The treatment team at Westport House includes **psychiatrists, clinical therapists, nurse practitioners, massage and family therapists, and acupuncturist, residential coordinators, and a career counselor. ** According to alumni reviews, many staff members are also in recovery.

Westport House serves clients across four facilities: three residential, home-like facilities, and one outpatient treatment facility. Private and shared bedrooms are available, and many have an en-suite bathroom. The facilities are equipped with cable television, high-speed internet, computers, chef’s kitchens, laundry rooms, locked storage, private outdoor space, game rooms, and in-home gyms.

At the time of this writing there have been four alumni polled by Rehabs.com. The alumni gave Westport House overwhelmingly positive reviews. The anonymous clients all gave the facility five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness. On average the clients rated the facility 4.75 stars out of five for staff experience, five stars for exercise, five stars for counseling options, and four stars for affordability. All four alumni agreed that the facility is adequately equipped and staffed to treat co-occurring mental health problems, and that facility staff are experienced and well-trained.

Reviewers mentioned strengths in many areas of the facility, including kind and educated staff, a strong family component, fun exercises and activities, a clean and comfortable environment, and a high staff to resident ratio. When asked about weaknesses of Westport House, alumni said that the facility could improve upon their communication and the offerings available for mid-career aged clients. One alum added additional commentary, stating, “If you are worried that rehab alone isn't a going to help you stay sober, and are between the ages of 18 to 30, Westport house is an excellent place to build a secure foundation for your recovery.”

At the time of this writing there have been four friends and family members polled by Rehabs.com. The reviewers gave Westport House excellent ratings, although they expressed dissatisfaction with the facility’s pricing. The anonymous loved ones all gave the facility five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness. On a scale of one to five, they rated the facility with an average of 4.5 stars for staff experience, 4.5 stars for exercise, four stars for counseling options, and 2.7 stars for affordability.

One reviewer said she agreed that the facility is adequately equipped and staffed to treat co-occurring mental health problems. All four loved ones agreed that facility staff are experienced and well-trained. The loved ones mentioned many strengths of the facility, including tasty, nutritious food, an experienced staff, fun recreation activities and a focus on physical fitness, and family involvement opportunities. When asked about weaknesses of the facility, friends and family members stated that communication could be difficult during shift changes and that the facility is expensive. One parent of a client said, “With the help of Westport House, my son was able to find his true self and transform into the sober young man he is today, and for that I am eternally grateful.”

At the time of this writing there have been five staff members polled by Rehabs.com. All five staff members polled rated the facility very high in a number of categories. The anonymous employees gave the facility four and five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, and all of them said they would recommend Westport house to a friend or family member seeking treatment. On a scale of one to five, they rated the facility with an average of 4.6 stars for counseling options and 4.4 stars for affordability. All five staff members gave the facility five stars for exercise, family participation, and cleanliness.

Facility employees mentioned several strengths, including individualized treatment plans, a committed staff, and a “wonderful sense of community.” When asked about Westport’s weaknesses, one reviewer mentioned that tuition can be difficult for some families to afford, and another mentioned that communication could be improved. One staff member added, “I have seen the majority of our clients graduate from our program having already reintegrated into their communities with the coping skills necessary to succeed.“

The cost of treatment at the facility is not listed on their website. Westport’s website states that the residential component of their treatment is all-inclusive and typically not covered by insurance, but that the clinical services component is often covered by insurance.

Published on September 2017

The only plus The Westport House has to offer is a professionally decorated residence located on the "Gold Coast" of CT. Other than that, they are not interested in helping struggling young adults. My son was admitted without a phone screen, without any clinical information, and the day he arrived the residence director called me shouting that they did not have enough staff to watch my son if he chose not to attend an evening meeting. This was done with my son on speaker phone. The next day he called to tell me to find my son another program, but I was not allowed to have any of my son's former clinicians call him to assist. When I finally found an appropriate place for my son (after the new place spoke with my son and obtained his past clinical info), I hired a professional service to move him door to door. The professional arrived and was told by Westport House that my son's extra belongings were locked in storage and they did not have the key. (after receiving notice the day before). The most frightening thing of all is that my son was discharged without any of his prescribed medications and was on his way to another state. I had hired the professional service for the specific reason of handling medications, and hand delivering them to his new place. The Westport House does not even provide the basic dignity and respect any human being deserves.

This place is atrocious, unorganized, and unequipped to handle what they are supposed to. If you have a loved one that needs help, I would stay far far away from this organization. Top to bottom from clinicians to case managers, this place is terrible for anyone that is trying to recover.

Westport house was more than responsive to the immediate needs of our son. They played a key role in helping our son regain his overall health. He is now a productive person and we see the loving child we have not seen in more than two years. We will be forever grateful to Westport House for everything they did to save our child.

Our son was in trouble. Unable to find his way in the world, he became addicted to drugs. We almost lost him. Westport House helped him find his way back. The understanding and supportive staff gave him the time and space he needed to regain respect for himself and a positive outlook on his life.

Overall my interactions with staff have been positive. On my first night, one staff member took several hours to let me vent, which looking back, probably facilitated me remaining in the program in the early days. Being at the Westport House has allowed me to step back and analyze my career and education options. I've narrowed down my future interests as a result. Other than usual wear and tear from residential use, the facilities have exceeded my expectations and any issues are quickly taken care of.

If someone wants to change their life I'd highly recommend Westport House. This is a true transitional living program allowing people to reintegrate and become functioning members of society. This program allowed me to realize how important sobriety is and gave me a life beyond what I ever imagined. Struggling with mental health issues in addition to addiction, I saw no point in ever living without substances. Living here allowed me grow up, care about myself and more importantly about others. Exceptional staff, food and living conditions. Everyone that works there is truly passionate about their work and you can tell they care.

I felt that the staff during my stay really believed in me and it helped me believe in myself. Staying there was like living in a 5-star hotel for 8 months. I think the most beneficial part was the sense of community I felt within the program and the sober friends I made during my stay. My case manager made a huge impact on my recovery and was one of the most influential people I've met so far in my life.

The Westport House saved my life - it’s something I say to myself almost every day, and I now know it to be true. I entered the program (with significant hesitation) at the suggestion of my rehab therapist after completing a 28 day inpatient program. I felt I was ready to return to normal life after 28 days clean… nothing could have been further from the truth. The Westport House program was exactly what I’d needed, probably since the day I graduated from high school. While the first few weeks were tough, it soon became clear it was the best decision I could have made to get my life back on track. The staff was nothing but supportive and caring. The structured Phase 1 schedule allowed me to receive the clinical care I needed, while learning self-care & life skills under the guidance of residential staff at the house. The turning point in my recovery came about as a result of the relationships I’d built with my case manager, residential coordinators and peers at P1. When I began to feel joy and happiness again during recreation activities with them, the progress I’d been making truly began to grow. Today, my best friends include staff members and fellow residents that I met in the first few weeks of my journey at the WH. 11 months after walking into 9 Fragrant Pines, I have a full-time job, hobbies that I love and the type of people in my life I always wanted when I was active in my addiction. I look back now and understand the importance of all the little things that are a part of the program - A sober part-time job to get started, waking up early & making my bed, being honest with the staff, moving through the phases of the program and finding new ways to enjoy life as a sober person. It all added up to where I am today. To that end, I would recommend the Westport House without hesitation.

This place is an A+ Scam. They charge on heck of a lot of money and provide nothing more than a nice looking home for rich kids. They have virtually no supervision for young men that sit around doing almost nothing all day every day. The one house manager is a yeller so he shows up, yells, and then leaves.

I normally ignore negative comments (and question any website that only has positive reviews) but given the clear intent of this anonymous poster, I feel the need to respond. Like any important decision, ask around. Contact individuals knowledgeable about addiction and treatment services. Westport House has an excellent reputation nationwide and that's ultimately due to the humble, caring and dedicated people who work here. I can count the number of relapses we've had within the past two years. on one hand. We do our best, but when working with young adults, the family is critical to our success. If they're unwilling to do the work, the result is predicable.

Westport house is not living up to there reputation. The place is very expensive for what you get. All clients share a room . The place lacks oversight .many of the outings change at last minute . On the up side if you have the money to spend the food there is good and you do get some activities and TV to watch football.

Intamate setting, safe with beautiful grounds providing and enjoyable experience for young men to recovery from addiction/alcoholism. High staff to resident ratio. phase transitional living with responsibility and accountability being earned over time. well trained staff passionate and knowledgable about recovery. setting and curriculum is designed to challenge the resident's beliefs, behaviors and attitudes surrounding recovery Westport house provides a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for young men trying to recovery from addiction and alcoholism. the phase transition model allows client to earn more responsibility and independence over a period of time as they display in a consistent manor they are ready for it. The intimate setting and location in Westport CT only helps residents feel more comfortable during their stay. Facilities are gorgeous, plant of recreational activities and community support.

Focus on young men. Encourages independence and full participation in recovery. Strong therapy programs and AA opportunities. Staff awareness of residents struggles; good support to work thru issues. Job oportunities in local area. Career advice when needed. Facility focuses on young men with a dual diagnosis. Area of expertise not in severe mental health issues that have led to addiction. My wife and I were uncertain about where to place our son following his 28 day residential program. We knew he was not ready to come home but needed continuing support to assist his recovery. Wesport House enabled our son to continue his journey of sober living day by day while providing him with tools he still uses today. He also made sober friends while at the house that he is still in contact with. My wife and I also benefited from the family programs that Westport House provided and were encouraging about our decision to seek out Al-Anon meetings in our area.

Food is top notch, very clean and comfortable environment Not much to offer mid career aged clients If you are worried that rehab alone isn't a going to help you stay sober, and are between the ages of 18 to 30, Westport house is an excellent place to build a secure foundation for your recovery

Tasty, nutritious food; experienced program staff; strongly encourage family involvement; good case managers; fun sober recreation activities; emphasis on mental and physical fitness; strong supportive structure for early recovery Communication among staff, changing policies (maybe due to rapid growth), lack of non-12-step group participation, restricted resident transportation capacity Sending my son here after he completed a 30-day inpatient program was worth every penny. The staff was very welcoming, and they consistently treated my son and I with respect. In fact, many of the staff members at Westport House today are part of his sober network. My son's case manager communicated with me regularly over the course of his stay. In the first phase of the program, all meals were provided by the house. He developed a strong relationship with his therapist who he has today. The program supported his involvement in AA, and they helped guide my family in being healthy supports to his recovery. The second phase allowed my son to show consistency in his new way of life and establish independence. He was able to resume his education, get a part-time job (which he now has full-time), and take control of his spending. With the help of Westport House, my son was able to find his true self and transform into the sober young man he is today, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Mission statement, staff kindness, facilities, extracurricular activities were good. Communication was poor. My son entered the care of Westport House in 2014 after a strong recommendation from his therapist at Silver Hill Hospital. He remained within their care for a total of eight months and has been sober ever since. Highly recommend attending the Family Programming events, as it helped my husband and I navigate our relationship with our son as he began to restructure his life. Kind and sympathetic staff that still check in with my son to this day. Very grateful for this facilities help, would absolutely recommend their services.

Sending my son here after he completed a 30-day inpatient program was worth every penny. The staff was very welcoming, and they consistently treated my son and I with respect. In fact, many of the staff members at Westport House today are part of his sober network. My son's case manager communicated with me regularly over the course of his stay. In the first phase of the program, all meals were provided by the house. He developed a strong relationship with his therapist who he has today. The program supported his involvement in AA, and they helped guide my family in being healthy supports to his recovery. The second phase allowed my son to show consistency in his new way of life and establish independence. He was able to resume his education, get a part-time job (which he now has full-time), and take control of his spending. His case manager there helped him budget his money and learn how to hold himself accountable. The residents he lived with are some of his best friends today, and he continues to be actively involved in his recovery. With the help of Westport House, my son was able to find his true self and transform into the sober young man he is today, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Easy access to a strong network of recovering men and women. Beautiful facilities, plenty of extracurricular activities, and staff members who go the extra mile.

Wonderful sense of community, Always willing to adapt based on client needs and advances in addiction treatment.

Terrific Recovery setting for people of all ages. Located in a great area Plenty of support for all who reside there Very positive environment Sometimes difficult in differentiating all clients and their specific needs This program offers a chance to re-integrate into society in a way that benefits everyone involved (family etc.)

Positive support, structure, effective communication, see clients as individuals, able and willing to adapt schedules and support accordingly. Healthy, clean living environment. Focus on addiction recovery rather than primary mental health issues. Young male demographic provided a positive recovery environment. It is Expensive. Communication between staff members when dealing with an issue that extends over shift changes and/or staff hierarchy can be inefficient. Overall very positive experience. Staff always made time to discuss any concerns. Phone calls and emails always returned promptly. Monthly meetings were always kept - relevant staff were available and well informed. Was difficult sometimes to follow staff advice on how long our qualifier needed to stay because of financial concerns but their judgement proved to be sound. Qualifier is still clean and still working his program 9 months after leaving.

Individualized treatment plans. Focus on gradual reintegration into all areas of life. Compassionate and experienced staff Diversified rec activities. Tuition can be challenging for all to afford The Westport House is a place where young men leant how to live and enjoy life sober. I have seen the majority of our clients graduate from our program having already reintegrated into their communities with the coping skills necessary to succeed. Unlike most facilities where reintegration happens after they leave.

Nurturing and educated staff, strong family component and beautiful facilities.

Committed staff, operates smoothly, friendly, effective. Communication can improve. Great location and very knowledgable staff. Awesome place to work at and to be able to watch those afflicted with addiction grow

A waste of money and a scam. All it is is Turning Point but I'm Westport...a sober house with soon to be iop...for 9k a month...give me a break...my friend went here. The staff is a joke, the rooms are not worth the money...this is anot her reason why the current treatment system does not work.

Westport House is a Phased Integration program for young men who have attended 30, 60 or 90 days inpatient treatment. We are nestled in the town of Westport with beautiful facilities and top notch staff. We are a private pay facility which is the way we are able to deliver individualized care. Although we are sensitive to the opinions of those that may be dissatisfied with elements of our program we are constantly improving and growing in order to be a best in class facility. We are always open to feedback and will continue to strive for excellence in order to help those struggling with substance use disorders.

Supportive lifestyle to maintain sobriety, peer support, specialized staff, individualized treatment plan, Staff is available to answer any questions or concerns at any time.

Sunrise House